Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's honestly impressive how bloodthirsty the player and allies dice are. More pilots usually survive being shot down than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Melee Phase
Rifleman (Player)
- Unable to kick Unknown Light LAM 3: target not in front arc!

Pretty sure I had 1MP left to face the LAM for a kick.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Grabbed the K1 relatively intact, nice

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

Pretty sure I had 1MP left to face the LAM for a kick.

There wasn't a turn in your orders.

Torso twists I'll do if needed, but not turns. That might screw up your movement on the next turn.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 18, 2024

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
I'm going to move to 1112, facing 1212, and try once again to take apart that light LAM. I think another of the same volley will be fine before my heat starts affecting my to-hits. I'm anticipating needing to move toward and help bring down the Medium LAM before we consider the area secured.

Orders in.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
It's a cooldown turn for me, but I will chuck some LRMs at the medium LAM

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Showdown at High Noon 4-10

End Phase
Thunderbolt (Player)
- Must pass a 4+ Automatic Shutdown test:

Missed the roll result there.

Add another Catapult to the pile!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Missed the roll result there.

Add another Catapult to the pile!

<_< youre gonna get me shutdown! I won't be able to do business on Earth!!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I missed the roll, so it's an auto-pass. Even if it'd been a copy-paste error, my forgetting it is judged in the player's favor.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

There wasn't a turn in your orders.

Torso twists I'll do if needed, but not turns. That might screw up your movement on the next turn.

But I did ask for a kick and there was only one legal move to achieve it - should have been obvious even if I neglected to put the turn order in. I had 3 MP - 2 to get up the hill and 1 to turn left to get in arc for the kick. There is literally no other move available.

I would have given you more detailed orders like I've done previously but they are already fiddly when I'm forced to phone post as I can't see the map/sheets at the same time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

But I did ask for a kick and there was only one legal move to achieve it - should have been obvious even if I neglected to put the turn order in. I had 3 MP - 2 to get up the hill and 1 to turn left to get in arc for the kick. There is literally no other move available.

You only had 3 MP. 1 for the initial turn, 2 to move up the hill. So I couldn't have made that turn in any case, you were out of MP.

There are a few hard rules I have kept for the past decade, and one of those is "never gently caress with player movement." In any capacity. If your orders are "move to hex" and nothing else, I will do my level best to get you there through the shortest and safest possible path that I can see. That means if you don't say you're kool-aid manning through a building you'll go around a building. But I won't gently caress with your movement and I will do my level best not to do anything you haven't asked for, because as far as I know you may have some maneuvering plan I'm not aware of that an extra turn might gently caress up.

I don't like cardinals but if you have to use north/south/etc. because you're phone posting I'll take them. If there had been a final "facing north" I'd have at least been able to do the usual "Unable to face Hex WXYZ: Has 3 MP, needs 4"

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ostsol (Player)
- Unable to punch Unknown Heavy Mech 2: target too low!

Oh for the love of Kerensky!

Man, I gotta do something about the loving alternate orders. I keep missing out on easy stomps.

Ostsol

Going to continue to wail on the Dragon, but I'm going to swing to its unprotected rear arc and penetrate it with my hot lasers. And this time, I'm going to put in extra orders in case I knock it down without knocking it out.

Hey, what happens if it has an ammo explosion while I'm stomping on it? Because that would be hilarious, but also terrible for the next Rampart.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

You only had 3 MP. 1 for the initial turn, 2 to move up the hill. So I couldn't have made that turn in any case, you were out of MP.

Fair enough as I'd miscounted my MP costs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

painedforever posted:

Hey, what happens if it has an ammo explosion while I'm stomping on it? Because that would be hilarious, but also terrible for the next Rampart.

It'll die, you'll be fine.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Rifleman

Ok it looks like I've also got shots at that last heavy.

Standing still and shooting it. Hopefully it games over and the LAMs gently caress off.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nicely played Goonswarm! Dropship beachhead established and you seem like you're crunching down the perimeter!

If all goes well maybe this aftermath we'll have some useful info to send back!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

A very good turn all around!

Can probably yank the surviving ER PPC from the Catapult to get our Battlemaster back up to Royal spec, then convert what's left into something resembling a K2.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

Standing still and shooting it. Hopefully it games over and the LAMs gently caress off.

That'll depend on whether their conversion gear is intact. So Unknown 3 is trapped, since it's lost a limb.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Ostsol

Orders are in. I'm going to finish off this damned 'Mech.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

As soon as we have control of the Dropship we should probably broadcast on their comms to surrender. Maybe we'll save a cockpit or two that way.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

propatriamori posted:

As soon as we have control of the Dropship we should probably broadcast on their comms to surrender. Maybe we'll save a cockpit or two that way.

Plus, intact electronics might have more info in them even if the Dropship computers are wiped. And pilots will probably know more than foot soldiers.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Y'know, I just noticed that we've basically completed all of the primary objectives. We're not going to get a "Mission Accomplished" message and a "Game Over" fade-out immediately, are we? We can keep playing?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

painedforever posted:

Y'know, I just noticed that we've basically completed all of the primary objectives. We're not going to get a "Mission Accomplished" message and a "Game Over" fade-out immediately, are we? We can keep playing?

You still need to frag the last enemy non LAM mech to complete all your primary objectives. But yeah, PTN said that one of the LAMs is unable to gently caress off because it’s lost an arm so it’s Conversion Gear is hosed, so I think that one might keep fighting for a bit unless a demand for surrender is broadcast and agreed to.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

GhostStalker posted:

You still need to frag the last enemy non LAM mech to complete all your primary objectives. But yeah, PTN said that one of the LAMs is unable to gently caress off because it’s lost an arm so it’s Conversion Gear is hosed, so I think that one might keep fighting for a bit unless a demand for surrender is broadcast and agreed to.

That last guy has many holes in it's paper-thin armour and a single medium laser, they're not doing a last stand if we ask for a surrender.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

That last guy has many holes in it's paper-thin armour and a single medium laser, they're not doing a last stand if we ask for a surrender.

that might depend on if he thinks he's going to end up in front of a firing squad after the fact

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
doubly so if these forces are DCMS house regulars or some other faction's "pirate" forces/deniable assets

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Holybat posted:

doubly so if these forces are DCMS house regulars or some other faction's "pirate" forces/deniable assets

It's got to be some kind of mix, right? The Falconer pilot claimed to be a merc and a Taurian iirc, and that seems to hold up. Like they have some kind of mix of that and then at least somewhat elite dudes riding LAMs, Royal variants, and brand new Catapults.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
It going to be possible to get useful intel from some of the mech computers if cockpits can be taken intact as salvage?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just thought people might enjoy seeing the results of my de-stress painting.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Curious 'mech, that. Some kind of melee build? Claws, Talons, TSM? I don't see much ranged armament, so it's very specialized.

Sick paint job though! What unit is that?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's a Norn Emissary, sort-of a suped-up Hive Tyrant I guess? With my take on the old Hive Fleet Behemoth colors.

Those aren't the colors I used back when I used to play Tyranids (my RL group stopped around 40k 5th ed?), but I think the red and blue Behemoth colors look really good dark/desaturated.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Nice, it cleaned up really good!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a Norn Emissary, sort-of a suped-up Hive Tyrant I guess? With my take on the old Hive Fleet Behemoth colors.

Those aren't the colors I used back when I used to play Tyranids (my RL group stopped around 40k 5th ed?), but I think the red and blue Behemoth colors look really good dark/desaturated.

It looks like one of the old Codex covers and is rad.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Very Pacific Rim

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just thought people might enjoy seeing the results of my de-stress painting.

Do a BT+WH40k crossover Mission.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Nektu posted:

Do a BT+WH40k crossover Mission.

But the power scales, can any mech in fact punch hard enough to end a hive tyrant???

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

It looks like one of the old Codex covers and is rad.

That was my first Tyranid codex and the look I was trying to emulate.

vorebane posted:

But the power scales, can any mech in fact punch hard enough to end a hive tyrant???

Yeah, probably. The settings are actually pretty comparable: Imperial Knights are about the same height as a BattleMech and they're both using similar future materials (Ceramet vs. Ceramite). The Imperium operates at a different scale, but technologically I don't think they're really that far off.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 20, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’m hearing a Simulator Exercise

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Make the bird aliens a canon antagonist .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

I’m hearing a Simulator Exercise

Too bad Halloween is so far off, it'd be funny as a Bug in the System mission