Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've seen that pitched (unsuccessfully) as a startup idea at my previous employer, I think the big issue was potential security implications and you'd probably need buy-in from Google and Apple as apps are fairly limited in what they can do.

Interestingly and connecting it with the other discussion going on, it was also pitched for churches, to block people from using their phones inside. Which is an even bigger security nightmare.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zalakwe posted:

It's possible if our government passed something for schools, some tech company or other would make a pretence at complying with whatever watered down thing is passed after years of lobbying but the idea they are going to start building bespoke hardware or software for the UK market is pretty fanciful imo.
Far more likely IMO some big tech company would propose “what if school but an app” and we’d have a shiny new PFI initiative that would shut down physical school buildings and just let ChatGPT teach everyone

E: the Duolingo owl can do it, he’s already good at lowkey threatening everyone to show up to lessons

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
School was shite. This sounds better

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

TACD posted:

E: the Duolingo owl can do it, he’s already good at lowkey threatening everyone to show up to lessons

Bring back the anthropomorphic paperclip imo. Extreme job centre energy - now with AI! Voiced by your favourite tory minister for a monthly fee.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1759862634474602740?t=ch09vLyR9SjGe-slo3zzLw&s=19

I thought it was transphobia and a pair of sociopaths that murdered this girl but it turns out that it was people not being nice on Twitter, which just so happens to be the bugbear of our incredibly transphobic press.

Which is at least slightly better than the alternative interpretation, "Twitter turned this boy queer and therefore a legitimate target, we must destroy the smartphone".

There is a question to look at about does completely unfiltered Internet access radicalise potentially vulnerable people. (I'm not talking about Briana here, rather I'm talking about the two kids who murdered her. )

But Briana's mum looking at her daughter being made "vulnerable by an addiction to social media."

It just comes back to the point I make about how people cope with tragedies. They'd much rather believe a false narrative which offers a simple solution ("no social media for kids = my daughter would be alive.") instead of a deeply complicated truth. ("Much of society is aligned towards violence against anyone who is isolated enough. Only fix is to reduce violence in society or provide more support structures to prevent isolation.")

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just wondering how everyone will cope when the SMS card (or whatever form reception might come in) gets integrated into your brain so you don't need a separate device?

Decided to google that after thinking it up and didn't know this stuff was so far advanced already:

https://tech.facebook.com/reality-labs/2020/3/imagining-a-new-interface-hands-free-communication-without-saying-a-word/

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/18/synchron-backed-by-bezos-and-gates-tests-brain-computer-interface.html

https://neuralink.com/

The Question IRL posted:

There is a question to look at about does completely unfiltered Internet access radicalise potentially vulnerable people. (I'm not talking about Briana here, rather I'm talking about the two kids who murdered her. )

But Briana's mum looking at her daughter being made "vulnerable by an addiction to social media."

It just comes back to the point I make about how people cope with tragedies. They'd much rather believe a false narrative which offers a simple solution ("no social media for kids = my daughter would be alive.") instead of a deeply complicated truth. ("Much of society is aligned towards violence against anyone who is isolated enough. Only fix is to reduce violence in society or provide more support structures to prevent isolation.")

The Bulger murder occurred in 1993 when social media wasn't a thing at all. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples around. "Evil" exists whether it is instigated by some satanic being or a result of social pressures.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 20, 2024

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The forums being better is only really because so few people use it. This place is still a logistical nightmare to moderate. Look how lovely any major thread like I/P or Trump election gets. Forums just don't scale, which is why short form social media was invented.

This place is closer to sitting down to read a book than it is to TikTok.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Needs more pictures

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mebh posted:

The forums being better is only really because so few people use it. This place is still a logistical nightmare to moderate. Look how lovely any major thread like I/P or Trump election gets. Forums just don't scale, which is why short form social media was invented.

I dislike this notion everything has to scale. I like small scale stuff.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The Bulger murder occurred in 1993 when social media wasn't a thing at all. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples around. "Evil" exists whether it is instigated by some satanic being or a result of social pressures.

True, and you're not the first person I've heard mention the Bulger case in comparison to Brianna Ghey. But the press at the time really went heavily into that the murderers were directly copying the violence of the Chucky films and there was a whole cross media campaign to get "video nasties" taken off the shelves. I think that's slipped out of memory, even the latest episode of TrashFuture forgets this when they're contrasting the two. Yeah there was no social media but there was still a "corrupting influence" that had to account for why someone should do something so terrible because it's easier to accept that than that sometimes people just do grotesquely evil poo poo.

Esther Ghey is mourning and I worry she's being latched onto by a press and politicians that would rather look anywhere than themselves and the transphobia they've been pushing as the answer, but like, I'm not going to be mad at her for it, frankly in that situation I'd look for comfort wherever I could find it. We absolutely shouldn't let the press and the politicians off the hook though

Mebh
May 10, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Sure but tell that to 5 billion people that want social media pumped into their eyeballs.

We're all here I assume for similar reasons. It's nicer here and smaller scale.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Needs more pictures

Either imgur or the app is broken atm so there's gonna be a drop in picture supply, sorry. Houthies did it probably. Pictures are going around the cape

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

There absolutely is, however this is the kind of radicalisation that is 100% mainstream in British Press and it's all a desperate attempt to deflect their own responsibility while still giving column inches to the most abject bigots going.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just wondering how everyone will cope when the SMS card (or whatever form reception might come in) gets integrated into your brain so you don't need a separate device?

Decided to google that after thinking it up and didn't know this stuff was so far advanced already:

https://tech.facebook.com/reality-labs/2020/3/imagining-a-new-interface-hands-free-communication-without-saying-a-word/

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/18/synchron-backed-by-bezos-and-gates-tests-brain-computer-interface.html

https://neuralink.com/

It isn't, yet, don't worry. Bezos and Musk are both complete nutcases let's not forget.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Neuralink is nothing more than a monkey torturing device, and it'll likely remain the same for many years to come

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Unless you got the third vaccination.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

Neuralink is nothing more than a monkey torturing device, and it'll likely remain the same for many years to come

So you're not signing up for the clinical trials then?

:bighow:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mebh posted:

Forums are fundamentally better because theres no algorithm at work. Forums dont see you pause on a video for 5 seconds instead of immediately scrolling so it then queues up 10 videos similar to it. Or it doesnt see you reply or 'like' a post or topic from some random that in a vacuum is funny or interesting but when viewed in a wider context is insane.

You also have to put serious effort into finding nutcase communities. You can post flat earth bullshit on twitter and get 500 people reply that you are in fact correct pretty quickly, but you had to specifically search it out pre social media. It was hard work to find the forums full of people that think the Queen is a lizard and that served as an inherent barrier that maybe only insane people thought it.

I'm using extreme examples here but legitimately the algorithm that serves up recommendations on TikTok, Reels, Facebook and Youtube is one of the most dangerous things released onto the internet. Create a fresh profile on your computer and view youtube. Watch the wrong video and within 5 minutes all of your recommendations are going down the various rabbit holes off of that. If you want to understand how Andrew Tate, or Jordan Peterson etc get so many young lads watching them its because they stumbled on it through the feed. Same for people with eating disorders, its so so easy to find that content.

Your example of the I/P thread is also good one. If I dont want to read that thread I can just not click on it. I dont see posts from it in my suggested feed in between posts about Cycling. Nor do I see similar posts by contibutors about right wing shithouse bullshit because enough people that read the IP thread also interacted with those videos so youtube thinks its the next logical step to keep your eyeballs on its advertisements.

I dunno, i'm sure theres much smarter ways of writing what I just did but social media, and in particular the instant and constant access to it, has done far more societal harm than a lot of people think.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm pretty sure I thought assange was dead

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zalakwe posted:

The online safety bill passed precisely because it doesn't do anything. The Government hasn't taken on the tech giants and won in any meaningful way at all. It's a total regulatory failure. If it were otherwise the companies involved would either have pulled out of the UK or would be desperately trying to solve the technical challenges involved. As is, they've just said "sorry lads, it isn't possible" and continued pretty much as normal. This is by design, there is no political will for it the situation to be otherwise and even if there was it's unlikely we have the power to force change. Occasionally someone might turn up at a committee and get a telling off but meh.

It's possible if our government passed something for schools, some tech company or other would make a pretence at complying with whatever watered down thing is passed after years of lobbying but the idea they are going to start building bespoke hardware or software for the UK market is pretty fanciful imo.

Such software and hardware wouldn't necessarily need to be for the UK market alone. Like, these sorts of systems are potentially a selling point for apple and google. They can be marketed to parents as systems which safeguard child learning, they can be marketed to schools as better alternatives to trash-tier android tablets. Whack on a mandatory subscription fee per school for the service and the companies even get to siphon cash straight out of the education budgets of most rich nations (not saying this bit is good, but it's what I'd see happening). All for the cost of a second parental control layer in the OS?

I do agree that this is a harder sell for the UK government specifically, but it hardly needs to be the case that such a solution would be pushed by the UK. If the EU or (less likely) the US pushed a scheme like it, I think Apple and Google would have no choice but to comply. That said, we saw Google get really salty over the whole link tax thing in Canada, threatening to pull out and even disabling news links for all Canadians, but eventually they decided paying $100m in tax was preferable to losing the revenue from news content. If something like a mandate for school-specific parental controls passed in the UK, they'd have to weigh up if the cost of implementing that was larger or smaller than their revenue from the UK. Knowing nothing about software development I have no idea how much an OS change costs--I expect it's rather expensive--but given that companies like Apple have revenues over £1b from sales in the UK every year, I don't think it's far fetched to imagine that if faced with some robust regulation that the two big phone OS companies would rather comply than pull out of the country.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

fuctifino posted:

Twitter is nothing more than a monkey torturing device, and it'll likely remain the same for many years to come

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

Small is still a scale :colbert:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I mean it all comes down to capitalism as everything does. The algorithm is only there because it keeps eyes on screens more and allows data to be harvested and sold. It didn't start like that, but evolved out of a need to monetize the hugely able to scale systems that were created first, mostly because forums were niche and people in general don't reliably go through more than a single layer of UI to find what they want (why bookmarks are a thing here)

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

There absolutely is, however this is the kind of radicalisation that is 100% mainstream in British Press and it's all a desperate attempt to deflect their own responsibility while still giving column inches to the most abject bigots going.

Yeah it’s good to know that the slight empathy towards trans people is now over.

It’s so odd that the actual reasons for Brianna’s death are being ignored.

And by “odd” I mean “this is absolutely what I expected”. The use of her mother to lead a charge on this is revolting though, didn’t see that happening.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What is Reddit?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What is Reddit?

A miserable pile of posters.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

A miserable pile of posters.

E:

Also, Good News Everyone! The crown logo will now be slightly pointer! :yaycloud:

https://twitter.com/PaulOnBooks/status/1759751476254052449?t=-0nIM5beSDoxN1C9-R4bdA&s=19

(This will cost many millions :smith: )

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 20, 2024

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Failed Imagineer posted:

E:

Also, Good News Everyone! The crown logo will now be slightly pointer! :yaycloud:

https://twitter.com/PaulOnBooks/status/1759751476254052449?t=-0nIM5beSDoxN1C9-R4bdA&s=19

I work for a UK police force (I know, I know ACAB) and we are now going to have to replace thousands of items of uniform, signage, stationary and vehicle livery. All for a fractionally different pointy hat on our logo.

Also, we are going to be getting dozens of portraits of ol' sausage fingers himself to hang up in our offices and stations. Looking forward to spending my working day under Charlie's venomous stare.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sadsack posted:

I work for a UK police force (I know, I know ACAB) and we are now going to have to replace thousands of items of uniform, signage, stationary and vehicle livery. All for a fractionally different pointy hat on our logo.

Also, we are going to be getting dozens of portraits of ol' sausage fingers himself to hang up in our offices and stations. Looking forward to spending my working day under Charlie's venomous stare.

Can I have your old uniforms and vehicle livery?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/israel-antisemitism-birth-certificate-home-office-b2498968.html

quote:

Baby’s birth certificate returned from Home Office ‘with Israel scribbled out’
Girl’s parents are ‘very concerned’ as Home Secretary vows ‘appropriate action will be taken’

The Home Office is launching an investigation over a baby’s birth certificate that was returned to her parents “with the word Israel scribbled out”.

The girl’s parents are “very concerned” after the birth certificate was sent off as part of a passport application two weeks ago and returned on Monday with the father’s place of birth defaced, Campaign Against Antisemitism said.

In a reply to a photo of the birth certificate that the charity had posted online, home secretary James Cleverly stated he had asked for it to be investigated “urgently”, vowing he would “see that appropriate action is taken”.

etc

Wonder what the truth of it is?
Do you think someone at the Home Office would have done this? I can think of other :tinfoil: things that might have happened.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I need to see the two different crowns to make a decision as to whether this is worth it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Labour are finally calling for a ceasefire. I guess the focus group changed their stance

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1759945605235851436

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sadsack posted:

Police forces should send the bill to Charlie Boy. What an utter waste of public money.
If he really thought of it & some bunch of marketing folk didn't just suggest it, he probably has no idea of the consequences (financial) of doing this. Or possibly just expected new stuff to be using the new logo not existing stock.

(This sort of thing used to happen all the time in the NHS when I worked there, every time there was a reorganisation or whatever, new logo (£50k to get a different shade of blue or different shaped heart etc, new stationery, etc.)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Royal Keynesianism

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Failed Imagineer posted:

E:

He's desperate to leave some kind of mark on the country before he carks it, isn't he.

Wonder how long the docs have told him he's likely to last.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I need to see the two different crowns to make a decision as to whether this is worth it.

You can see them here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68341982.amp

As you can clearly see, a seismic difference.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(This sort of thing used to happen all the time in the NHS when I worked there, every time there was a reorganisation or whatever, new logo (£50k to get a different shade of blue or different shaped heart etc, new stationery, etc.)
Oh yeah, when you'd look at the little blue italicised NHS logo, only to notice it was slightly taller and a marginally different shade of blue, just knowing some marketing grad got paid more than you earn in a year to quickly leaf through a thesaurus.

E: the difference being the new logo takes ten seconds to stretch up 5% in illustrator. Whereas the parasite in chief's new stupid hat costs an astronomical amount in gold and gems and endangered animals to look slightly different to his mum's, and then you have all the associated costs to rebrand evetything so it looks like the new stupid hat.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 20, 2024

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why haven't we guillotined this lot yet?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I can't see anywhere discussing the cost of this poo poo, except for the .gov website assuring people the cost of updating it on that website came out of already budgeted running cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Apparently it's the old queen's fault. She changed it, the king is just changing it back to what it was before.