Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

koolkal posted:

As an example for the recent NY-03 election, Biden won there by 8 points in 2020 and Scuozzi won his special by about 8 points as well. So it's fair to expect 2024 to be very close to 2020 based on this 1 special election. Ideally though you would want to compare all special elections since 2022 vs. the 2020 presidential votes. And do some sort of time-weighting on the results to favor more recent ones.

Overall, for elections in 2023-2024, Dems are running about +3.6% which is pretty good however they have been running worse in the later part of the cycle. For example, their 2024 margin has been -1.9%.

Source:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ajyphWQru9TgDDiBe8kvEmApBEXND2wl9MVaxi1dndk/edit#gid=0

Regarding Suozzi and NY-3, I actually don't think you can compare it to Biden in 2020. That's because there was a heavy shift in NY to Republicans in 2022, so heavy that it's likely that NY (and to some degree, CA) cost Democrats the House. Democrats overperformed in 2022 nationwide but underperformed in these two states. So this makes the Democratic swing in NY-03 that more impressive to me.

Interesting about the Democrats underperforming in 2024 so far.

I will say that regarding the special elections being good predictors of the general, this applies much more so when the overperformance is by a large margin. When it's within a few points, special elections don't predict as well. There was only one time since the 80s or 90s that the special election results had a large swing that did not pan out in the subsequent election and that was in 1998, after Clinton's impeachment (Democrats won that year when Republicans won the previous year). But that was also not a general election. Democratic overperformance in 2022 and 2023 qualify as large swings (+11 in 2023) so it's very likely that Democrats win in 2024 just by historical precedent.

Edit: regarding D underperformance in 2024 so far, it looks like Democrats still managed to flip 2 seats while Republicans flipped just one. Maybe the flipped seats were swing seats and the others were not so contested (phone posting so I'm not checking now). It is telling, I think, that the hottest election of 2024 was won by a Democrat in a swing seat and he managed to 2x his polls.

small butter fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

small butter posted:

Regarding Suozzi and NY-3, I actually don't think you can compare it to Biden in 2020. That's because there was a heavy shift in NY to Republicans in 2022, so heavy that it's likely that NY (and to some degree, CA) cost Democrats the House. Democrats overperformed in 2022 nationwide but underperformed in these two states. So this makes the Democratic swing in NY-03 that more impressive to me.

While I'm upstate and don't follow city politics closely, I understand that in 2022 part of Democratic underperformance in New York was in heavily Jewish districts a result of city/state level Democrats moving to regulate Hasidic schools that focus entirely on religious instruction to the point of deliberately leaving students unprepared to find work or further education in the secular world. Advocates for those schools (including opportunistic Republican groups) successfully spun it as an antisemitic crackdown despite the schools being lovely by any measure.

The bright news there was that one of those was Santos' district that flipped back Dem by a significant margin despite the Republican candidate being an Orthodox Jew and Republicans still trying to capitalize on it. That suggests it's not necessarily a long-term turn against Democrats on the national level. Though it does make the whole I/P optics issue all the more fraught within the party.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
An element that's really worth highlighting is that the normal dynamic where Republicans do better among likely voters and Democrats with registered voters has flipped, as Dems pick up a lot of people turned off by Trump and Trump in turn energizes people not likely to vote normally.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Morrow posted:

An element that's really worth highlighting is that the normal dynamic where Republicans do better among likely voters and Democrats with registered voters has flipped, as Dems pick up a lot of people turned off by Trump and Trump in turn energizes people not likely to vote normally.

The thing is, he's already activated all the low engagement chuds. There's no longer a large untapped block of electorally silent haters to suddenly show up at the polls. The X Factor seems to be people who voted Biden reluctantly or stayed home in shame. Will they still find Biden acceptable enough to show up or not vote Trump?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gyges posted:

The thing is, he's already activated all the low engagement chuds. There's no longer a large untapped block of electorally silent haters to suddenly show up at the polls. The X Factor seems to be people who voted Biden reluctantly or stayed home in shame. Will they still find Biden acceptable enough to show up or not vote Trump?

I would have said Trump got all the low engagement chuds in 2016 but he somehow got way more votes in 2020

I'm assuming a lot more first time chuds will spawn out of the aether once again

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s also been four more years of his already elderly base refusing to take basic precautions against an endemic and fatal virus.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

small butter posted:

Last year, Protasiewicz won by double digits in WI in what was supposed to be a close race, not to mention the +11 Democratic swing in special elections nationwide.

How is 2024 shaking out?

The maps still slightly favor the Wisconsin Republicans. Half of the state Senate is up every 2 years. It wouldn't be possible to pick up enough state Senate seats to flip the state Senate in just 2024. Maybe we can get some actual governance out of flipping the assembly and putting pressure on the senate.

The assembly leader on the republican side (Robin Vos) has been losing a lot of sway lately and is being primaried. If he goes down and/or the assembly can flip a lot of good could come from the Wisconsin government for once.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I posted this in another thread but it’s relevant here too.

The Times ran an OpEd on part time work that’s very much worth a read:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/19/opinion/part-time-workers-usa.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

NYTs posted:

Back in 2018, with an eye to writing a novel about low-wage work in America, I got a job at a big-box store near the Catskills in New York, where I live. I was on the team that unloaded the truck of new merchandise each day at 4 a.m.

We were supposed to empty the truck in under an hour. Given how little we made — I was paid $12.25 an hour, which I was told was the standard starting pay — I was surprised how much my co-workers cared about making the unload time. They took a kind of bitter pride in their efficiency, and it rubbed off on me. I dreaded making a mistake that would slow us down as we worked together to get 1,500 to 2,500 boxes off the truck and sorted onto pallets each morning. When the last box rolled out of the truck, we would spread out in groups of two or three for the rest of our four-hour shift and shelve the items from the boxes we just unloaded.

Most of my co-workers had been at the store for years, but almost all of them were, like me, part time. This meant that the store had no obligation to give us a stable number of hours or to adhere to a weekly minimum. Some weeks we’d be scheduled for as little as a single four-hour shift; other weeks we’d be asked to do overnights and work as many as 39 hours (never 40, presumably because the company didn’t want to come anywhere close to having to pay overtime).

The unpredictability of the hours made life difficult for my co-workers — as much as if not more than the low pay did. On receiving a paycheck for a good week’s work, when they’d worked 39 hours, should they use the money to pay down debt? Or should they hold on to it in case the following week they were scheduled for only four hours and didn’t have enough for food?

Many of my co-workers didn’t have cars; with such unstable pay, they couldn’t secure auto loans. Nor could they count on holding on to the health insurance that part-time workers could receive if they met a minimum threshold of hours per week. While I was at the store, one co-worker lost his health insurance because he didn’t meet the threshold — but not because the store didn’t have the work. Even as his requests for more hours were denied, the store continued to hire additional part-time and seasonal workers.

Most frustrating of all, my co-workers struggled to supplement their income elsewhere, because the unstable hours made it hard to work a second job. If we wanted more hours, we were advised to increase our availability. Problem is, it’s difficult to work a second job when you’re trying to keep yourself as free as possible for your first job.

No wonder my co-workers cared so much about the unload time: For those 60 minutes, they could set aside such worries and focus on a single goal, one that may have been arbitrary but was largely within our shared control and made life feel, briefly, like a game that was winnable.

Many people choose to work part time for better work-life balance or to attend school or to care for children or other family members. But many don’t. In recent years, part-time work has become the default at many large chain employers, an involuntary status imposed on large numbers of their lowest-level employees. As of December, almost four and a half million American workers reported working part time but said they would prefer full-time jobs.

When I started working at the store, I assumed that the reason part-time work was less desirable than full-time work was that by definition, it meant less money and fewer or no benefits. What I didn’t understand was that part-time work today also has a particular predatory logic, shifting economic risk from employers to employees. And because part-time work has become ubiquitous in certain predominantly low-wage sectors of the economy, many workers are unable to find full-time alternatives. They end up trapped in jobs that don’t pay enough to live on and aren’t predictable enough to plan a life around.

There are several reasons employers have come to prefer part-time workers. For one thing, they’re cheaper: By employing two or more employees to work shorter hours, an employer can avoid paying for the benefits it would owe if it assigned all the hours to a single employee.

But another, newer advantage for employers is flexibility. Technology now enables businesses to track customer flow to the minute and schedule just enough employees to handle the anticipated workload. Because part-time workers aren’t guaranteed a minimum number of hours, employers can cut their hours if they don’t anticipate having enough business to keep them busy. If business picks up unexpectedly, employers have a large reserve of part-time workers desperate for more hours who can be called in on short notice.

Part-time work can also be a means of control. Because employers have total discretion over hours, they can use reduced schedules to punish employees who complain or seem likely to unionize — even though workers can’t legally be fired for union-related activity — while more pliant workers are rewarded with better schedules.

In 2005 a revealing memo written by M. Susan Chambers, then Walmart’s executive vice president for benefits, who was working with the consulting firm McKinsey, was obtained by The New York Times. In it she articulated plans to hire more part-time workers as a way of cutting costs. At the time, only around 20 percent of Walmart’s employees were part time. The following year, The Times reported that Walmart executives had told Wall Street analysts that they had a specific target: to double the company’s share of part-time workers, to 40 percent. Walmart denied that it had set such a goal, but in the years since, it has exceeded that mark.

It’s not just Walmart. Target, TJX Companies, Kohl’s and Starbucks all describe their median employee, based primarily on salary and role, as a part-time worker. Many jobs that were once decent — they didn’t make workers rich, but they were adequate — have quietly morphed into something unsustainable.

One of the most surprising aspects of this movement toward part-time work is how few white-collar people, including economists and policy analysts, have seemed to notice or appreciate it. So entrenched is the assumption that full-time work is on offer for most people who want it that even some Bureau of Labor Statistics data calculate annual earnings in various sectors by taking the hourly wage reported by participating employers and multiplying it by 2,080, the number of hours you’d work if you worked 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year. Never mind that in the real world few workers in certain sectors are given the option of working full time.

The problem is that most Walmart employees don’t make $36,400, the annualized equivalent of $17.50 an hour at 40 hours a week. Last year, the median Walmart worker made 25 percent less than that, $27,326 — equivalent to an average of 30 hours a week. And that’s the median; many Walmart workers worked less than that.

Likewise, at Target, where pay starts at $15 an hour, the median employee makes not $31,200, the annualized full-time equivalent, but $25,993. The median employee of TJX (owner of such stores as TJ Maxx, Marshalls and HomeGoods) makes $13,884 a year; the median Kohl’s employee makes $12,819.

Those numbers, though low, are nevertheless higher than median pay at Starbucks, a company known for its generous benefits. To be eligible for those benefits, however, an employee must work at least 20 hours a week. At $15 an hour — the rate Starbucks said it was raising barista pay to in 2022 — 20 hours a week would amount to $15,600 a year. But in 2022 the median Starbucks worker made $12,254 a year, which is lower than the federal poverty level for a single person.

And this is after the post-Covid labor shortage, when pay for low-wage workers rose faster than it did for people in higher income brackets.

The shift to part-time workers means that focusing exclusively on hourly pay can be misleading. Walmart, for example, paid frontline hourly employees an average of $17.50 as of last month and recently announced plans to raise that to more than $18 an hour. Given that just a few years ago, progressives were animated by the Fight for $15 movement, these numbers can seem encouraging. The Bloomberg columnist Conor Sen wrote on social media last year that “Walmart’s probably a better employer at this point than most child care providers and a lot of the jobs in higher ed.”

Since my stint at the big-box store, where I ended up working for six months, I’ve come to think that every time we talk about hourly wages without talking about hours, we’re giving employers a pass for the subtler and more insidious way they’re mistreating their employees.

From the perspective of employers, flexible scheduling remains extremely efficient. But that efficiency means reneging on the bargain on which modern capitalism long rested. Since the passage of the Fair Labor Standards Act during the New Deal era, employers have had to pay most of their workers for 40 hours of work even when business was slow. That was just the cost of doing business, a risk capitalists bore in exchange for the upside potential of profit. Now, however, employers foist that risk onto their lowest-paid workers: Part-time employees, not shareholders, have to pay the price when sale volumes fluctuate.

To the extent that the shift to part-time work has been noticed by the larger world, it has often undermined rather than increased sympathy for workers. For decades, middle- and upper-class Americans have been encouraged to believe that American workers are hopelessly unskilled or lazy. (Remember when Elon Musk praised Chinese workers and said American workers try to “avoid going to work at all”?) The rise in part-time work seems on its face to support this belief, as white-collar workers, unfamiliar with the realities of the low-wage work environment, assume that workers are part time by choice.

It’s a bit rich. Policies undertaken to increase corporate profits at the expense of workers’ well-being are then held up as evidence of the workers’ poor character. There is poor character at play here. It’s just not that of workers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I would have said Trump got all the low engagement chuds in 2016 but he somehow got way more votes in 2020

I'm assuming a lot more first time chuds will spawn out of the aether once again

In 2016 he was supposed to get clobbered by Hillary. When he won it emboldened all the cowardly scumsuckers who skipped 2016, and made them feel like it was finally acceptable to proudly wave the shithead flag. Which is part of why they lost their minds about how Biden stole the election. They didn't want to have burned all those social bridges with their friends and family for no reason. It was finally the time of bigots again.

Trump probably does get more votes due to population growth, but the big question mark is how many people lost the drive to crawl naked through broken glass to vote against Donny.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Gyges posted:

Trump probably does get more votes due to population growth, but the big question mark is how many people lost the drive to crawl naked through broken glass to vote against Donny.

Population growth is somewhat offset by Trump's voting cohort dying at a greater rate both due to being an older demographic as well as one inclined towards idiotic defiance of vaccination and public health practices during Covid. And I choose to be encouraged by the fact that Dems have performed relatively well in midterms and specials, even when Trump is NOT on the ballot, Dem voters have been doing okay turning out, I find it a bit hard to believe that they all suddenly hate Biden within the last year or so but will try to keep an open mind.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Population growth is somewhat offset by Trump's voting cohort dying at a greater rate both due to being an older demographic as well as one inclined towards idiotic defiance of vaccination and public health practices during Covid. And I choose to be encouraged by the fact that Dems have performed relatively well in midterms and specials, even when Trump is NOT on the ballot, Dem voters have been doing okay turning out, I find it a bit hard to believe that they all suddenly hate Biden within the last year or so but will try to keep an open mind.

The ongoing support for the ethnic cleansing of Gaza really has me leaning towards only voting down ballot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

unfortunately the greater population either largely doesn't give a poo poo about what's going on in gaza or actively supports it b/c "israel is the good guys". while it's appalling and disgusting to us, it is not to the majority of the voting bloc, and so it is unlikely to negatively impact biden in any significant way

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Bel Shazar posted:

The ongoing support for the ethnic cleansing of Gaza really has me leaning towards only voting down ballot.

Here's the deal, both sides are going to support Israel one reluctantly and the other full throatedly.

But only one is determined to commit genocide here in the United States.

I'm voting against that second.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Apparently Haley is announcing her drop out today. Not really shocked since she had no way forward and she was gonna get crushed in South Carolina.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 20, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I posted this in another thread but it’s relevant here too.

The Times ran an OpEd on part time work that’s very much worth a read:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/19/opinion/part-time-workers-usa.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Thanks for the article.

It's a good read, but the problems with part-time work have been known forever. There just isn't much will to do anything about it. California and a few other states have "predictable scheduling" laws that require advance notice of schedules and hours and regulate how employers can schedule part-time employees. They have been fairly successful in improving the stats compared to other states, but I don't know if they are solving all or most of the issues or not. It seems like a national version of those bills would make a lot of sense.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Capital One is buying Discover Financial and moving many of their cards off of the Visa and Mastercard network and on to the Discover network.

There's probably not much immediate short-term impact on the average consumer, but it could have a big impact on the shift away from Visa and Mastercard's domination of the payment processor market.

On the negative side, even though it may slightly reduce the foothold Visa has on the payment processor market, it also means that there will be one fewer choice for credit card providers on the market. Capitol One will keep the Discover brand and all of their products, but the move will take the number of major credit card issuers down from 5 to 4.

The DOJ has not approved the deal yet and is doing an anti-trust review, but this particular case is a complicated one. Discover is solely a credit card issuer, whereas all other major card lenders are banks that also offer credit cards. There's not a ton of case law to determine the specifics of how to apply anti-trust law when a bank purchases a non-bank business. Additionally, there are huge amounts of minor or local credit card issuers that may count as competition for the company despite the fact that there would only be 4 "major" national issuers.

quote:

Capital One will buy Discover for $35 billion in deal that combines major US credit card companies

NEW YORK (AP) — Capital One Financial said it will buy Discover Financial Services for $35 billion, in a deal that would bring together two of the nation’s credit card companies as well as potentially shake up the payments industry, which is largely dominated by Visa and Mastercard.

Under the terms of the all-stock transaction, Discover Financial shareholders will receive Capital One shares valued at nearly $140. That’s a significant premium to the $110.49 that Discover shares closed at Friday.

The deal marries two of the largest credit card companies that aren’t banks first, like JPMorgan Chase and Citigroup, with the notable exception of American Express. It also brings together two companies whose customers are largely similar: often Americans who are looking for cash back or modest travel rewards, compared to the premium credit cards dominated by AmEx, Citi and Chase.

“This marketplace that’s dominated by the big players is going to shrink a little bit more now,” said Matt Schulz, chief credit card analyst at LendingTree.

It also will give Discover’s payment network a major credit card partner in a way that could make the payment network a major competitor once again. The U.S. credit card industry is dominated by the Visa-Mastercard duopoly with AmEx being a distance third place and Discover an even more distant fourth place. It’s unclear whether Capitol One will adopt the Discover payment system or may set up a payment network that allows parallel use of Discover and a second payment network like Visa.

“Our acquisition of Discover is a singular opportunity to bring together two very successful companies with complementary capabilities and franchises, and to build a payments network that can compete with the largest payments networks and payments companies,” said Richard Fairbank, the chairman and CEO of Capital One, in a statement.

With its purchase of Discover, Capital One is betting that Americans’ will continue to increasingly use their credit cards and keep balances on those accounts to collect interest. In the fourth quarter of 2023, Americans held $1.13 trillion on their credit cards, and aggregate household debt balances increased by $212 billion, up 1.2%, according to the latest data from the New York Federal Reserve.

As they run up their card balances, consumers are also paying higher interest rates. The average interest rate on a bank credit card is roughly 21.5%, the highest it’s been since the Federal Reserve started tracking the data in 1994.

Capital One has long has a business model looking for customers who will keep a balance on their cards, aiming for customers with lower credit scores than American Express or even Discover.

At the same time, the two lenders have had to boost their reserves against the possibility of rising borrower defaults. After battling inflation for more than two years, many lower- and middle-income Americans have run through their savings and are increasingly running up their credit card balances and taking on personal loans.

The additional reserves have weighed on both banks’ profits. Last year, Capital One’s net income available to common shareholders slumped 35% versus 2022, as its provisions for loan losses soared 78% to $10.4 billion. Discover’s full-year profit sank 33.6% versus its 2022 results as its provisions for credit losses more than doubled to $6.02 billion.

Discover’s customers are carrying $102 billion in balances on their credit cards, up 13% from a year earlier. Meanwhile, the charge-off rates and 30-day delinquency rates have climbed.

Beyond boosting bank deposits and loan accounts, the acquisition would give Capital One access to the Discover payment processing network. While smaller than industry giants Visa and Mastercard, the Discover network will enable Capital One to get revenue from fees charged for every merchant transaction that runs on the network.

Discover has been operating under heightened scrutiny from regulators. Last summer, the company disclosed that beginning around mid-2007, it incorrectly classified certain card accounts into its highest merchant pricing tiers. The company also received an unrelated consent order from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation over its customer compliance management.

Analysts at Citigroup say the regulatory issues may have prompted the sale.

“We are surprised that DFS would sell, but suppose that its regulatory challenges such as its recent October FDIC consent order and the card product misclassification issue may have opened the door for the board to consider strategic alternatives that it may not have in the past,” wrote analysts Arren Cyganovich and Kaili Wang in a note to clients.

It’s unclear whether the deal will pass regulatory scrutiny. Nearly every bank issues a credit card to customers but few companies are credit card companies first, and banks second. Both Discover — which was long ago the Sears Card — and Capital One started off as credit card companies that expanded into other financial offerings like checking and savings accounts.

Consumer groups are expected to put heavy pressure on the Biden Administration to make sure the deal is good for consumers as well as shareholders.

“The deal also poses massive anti-trust concerns, given the vertical integration of Capital One’s credit card lending with Discover’s credit card network,” said Jesse Van Tol, president and CEO of the National Community Reinvestment Coalition.

https://apnews.com/article/capital-one-discover-financial-merger-credit-cards-3444782717e668b896883f09bda27baa

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 20, 2024

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Skex posted:

Here's the deal, both sides are going to support Israel one reluctantly and the other full throatedly.

I'm no longer convinced

a) one side thinks they need to wait until they are in control to commit genocide
b) the other will do anything meaningful to stop the first

But I get where you're coming from.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Capital One is buying Discover Financial and moving many of their cards off of the Visa and Mastercard network and on to the Discover network.

No! I hope Biden blocks this.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Skex posted:

The second point you raised is correct, but if anything I think Biden is far more supportive of Israel than Trump is. All it would take is one perceived slight for Trump to abandon them, while Biden is perfectly willing to take slap after slap from Netanyahu while trying to funnel even more money to him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Apparently Haley is announcing her drop out today. Not really shocked since she had no way forward and she was gonna get crushed in South Carolina.

https://twitter.com/sppeoples/status/1759964069786800197

She's saying it's not that.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Yawgmoft posted:

The second point you raised is correct, but if anything I think Biden is far more supportive of Israel than Trump is. All it would take is one perceived slight for Trump to abandon them, while Biden is perfectly willing to take slap after slap from Netanyahu while trying to funnel even more money to him.

No he is not.

And frankly repeating this lie should be a ban at this point.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Yawgmoft posted:

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-benjamin-netanyahu-israel-hamas-republicans-63295565c0abe5b30da5898a6b8eb01a

https://apnews.com/article/trump-netanyahu-israel-2024-primary-criticism-7fb4181b664bb28408ff92b8e5565ced

I suspect that while he personally doesn't care, his party being so pro-Israel will push him to also be pro-Israel.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trump's policy advisors are releasing plans for "Christian Nationalist" policy to be ready to be implemented on day one of a potential new Trump administration.

Politico has gotten ahold of internal documents from Trump campaign advisors and former Trump admin officials with a list of policy ideas that they have agreed to pursue.

These include:

- A 16-week national ban on abortion (individual states could go farther).

- An end to "no fault" divorce.

- Ending surrogacy.

- Using federal education funding to end sex education in schools.

- Change federal programs that penalize marriage.

- Revoke FDA approval of "chemical abortion drugs" and the ability to receive abortion drugs via mail.

- Protecting “religious and moral” objections for employers who decline contraception coverage for employees.

- Eliminate policies that "subsidize single-motherhood” (no specifics given).

- Increasing surveillance of abortion and maternal mortality reporting in the states.

- Invoking the Insurrection Act on Day One to quash protests.

- Refusing to spend authorized congressional funds on unwanted projects (a practice made illegal under Nixon) and fight the case to the Supreme Court.

- Eliminating the diversity lottery for immigration and reforming immigration criteria away from nation of origin, education, family connections, and employment to instead base immigration quality on their commitment to biblical teachings. Saying a person’s background doesn’t define who can enter the U.S., but rather, citing Biblical teachings, whether that person “accept[ed] Israel’s God, laws and understanding of history.”

- Create a new federal task force on fighting anti-Christian bias to be led by "a fully reformed Department of Justice that’s fair and equitable.”

- Get court rulings recognizing that the separation of church and state is “a commitment to an institutional separation between church and state, but not the separation of Christianity from its influence on government and society. Such a framework can lead to beneficial outcomes for our own communities, as well as individuals of all faiths.”

- Eliminate funding for and penalize state programs that promote transgender acceptance and replace them with programs that attempt to help correct gender confusion in youths.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1759881338272760154

quote:

Trump allies prepare to infuse ‘Christian nationalism’ in second administration

An influential think tank close to Donald Trump is developing plans to infuse Christian nationalist ideas in his administration should the former president return to power, according to documents obtained by POLITICO.

Spearheading the effort is Russell Vought, who served as Trump’s director of the Office of Management and Budget during his first term and has remained close to him. Vought, who is frequently cited as a potential chief of staff in a second Trump White House, is president of The Center for Renewing America think tank, a leading group in a conservative consortium preparing for a second Trump term.

Christian nationalists in America believe that the country was founded as a Christian nation and that Christian values should be prioritized throughout government and public life. As the country has become less religious and more diverse, Vought has embraced the idea that Christians are under assault and has spoken of policies he might pursue in response.

One document drafted by CRA staff and fellows includes a list of top priorities for CRA in a second Trump term. “Christian nationalism” is one of the bullet points. Others include invoking the Insurrection Act on Day One to quash protests and refusing to spend authorized congressional funds on unwanted projects, a practice banned by lawmakers in the Nixon era.

CRA’s work fits into a broader effort by conservative, MAGA-leaning organizations to influence a future Trump White House. Two people familiar with the plans, who were granted anonymity to discuss internal matters, said that Vought hopes his proximity and regular contact with the former president — he and Trump speak at least once a month, according to one of the people — will elevate Christian nationalism as a focal point in a second Trump term.

The documents obtained by POLITICO do not outline specific Christian nationalist policies. But Vought has promoted a restrictionist immigration agenda, saying a person’s background doesn’t define who can enter the U.S., but rather, citing Biblical teachings, whether that person “accept[ed] Israel’s God, laws and understanding of history.”

Vought has a close affiliation with Christian nationalist William Wolfe, a former Trump administration official who has advocated for overturning same-sex marriage, ending abortion and reducing access to contraceptives.

Vought, who declined to comment, is advising Project 2025, a governing agenda that would usher in one of the most conservative executive branches in modern American history. The effort is made up of a constellation of conservative groups run by Trump allies who’ve constructed a detailed plan to dismantle or overhaul key agencies in a second term. Among other principles, the project’s “Mandate for Leadership” states that “freedom is defined by God, not man.”

The Trump campaign has said repeatedly that it alone is responsible for assembling a policy platform and staffing for a future administration. In response to various news articles about how conservatives are preparing for a second Trump term, campaign advisers Susie Wiles and Chris LaCivita said in a memo late last year: “Despite our being crystal clear, some ‘allies’ haven’t gotten the hint, and the media, in their anti-Trump zeal, has been all-too-willing to continue using anonymous sourcing and speculation about a second Trump administration in an effort to prevent a second Trump administration.”

Trump’s campaign declined to comment for this story.

Rachel Cauley, CRA’s communication director, said “the so-called reporting from POLITICO in this story is false and we told them so on multiple occasions.”

Trump is not a devout man of faith. But Christian Nationalists have been among his most reliable campaign activists and voting blocs. Trump formed a political alliance with evangelicals during his first run for office, delivered them a six to three conservative majority on the Supreme Court and is now espousing the Christian right’s long-running argument that Christians are so severely persecuted that it necessitates a federal response.

In a December campaign speech in Iowa, he said “Marxists and fascists” are “going hard” against Catholics. “Upon taking office, I will create a new federal task force on fighting anti-Christian bias to be led by a fully reformed Department of Justice that’s fair and equitable” and that will “investigate all forms of illegal discrimination.”

On the eve of the Iowa caucuses, Trump promoted on his social media a video that suggests his campaign is, actually, a divine mission from God.

In 2019, Trump’s then-secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, set up a federal commission to define human rights based on the precepts Vought describes, specifically “natural law and natural rights.” Natural law is the belief that there are universal rules derived from God that can’t be superseded by government or judges. While it is a core pillar of Catholicism, in recent decades it’s been used to oppose abortion, LGBTQ+ rights and contraception.

Vought sees his and his organization’s mission as “renew[ing] a consensus of America as a nation under God,” per a statement on CRA’s website, and reshaping the government’s contract with the governed. Freedom of religion would remain a protected right, but Vought and his ideological brethren would not shy from using their administration positions to promote Christian doctrine and imbue public policy with it, according to both people familiar with the matter, granted anonymity to avoid retaliation. He makes clear reference to human rights being defined by God, not man.

America should be recognized as a Christian nation “where our rights and duties are understood to come from God,” Vought wrote two years ago in Newsweek.

“It is a commitment to an institutional separation between church and state, but not the separation of Christianity from its influence on government and society,” he continued, noting such a framework “can lead to beneficial outcomes for our own communities, as well as individuals of all faiths.”

He went on to accuse detractors of Christian nationalism of invoking the term to try to scare people. "’Christian nationalism’ is actually a rather benign and useful description for those who believe in both preserving our country’s Judeo-Christian heritage and making public policy decisions that are best for this country,” he wrote. “The term need not be subjected to such intense scorn due to misunderstanding or slander.”

To ingratiate himself in conservative circles — and Christian conservative ones — Trump has often turned to operatives from them. Among those who helped was Vought.

As OMB director in the Trump administration, Vought became a disciple of the “America First” movement. He has been a steadfast proponent of keeping the U.S. out of foreign wars and slashing federal spending.

CRA is already wielding influence on Trump’s positions. His thinking on withdrawing the U.S. from NATO and using military force against Mexican drug cartels is partly inspired by separate CRA papers, according to reports by Rolling Stone.

“Russell Vought did a fabulous job in my administration, and I have no doubt he will do a great job in continuing our quest to make America great again,” reads a Trump quote prominently placed on CRA’s website.

Trump will have a major platform to convey his vision for Christian policy in a second term when, on Feb. 22, he addresses a National Religious Broadcasters forum in Nashville. The group is the world’s largest association of Christian communicators.

Trump is also talking about bringing his former national security adviser Michael Flynn, a vocal proponent of Christian nationalism, back into office. Flynn is currently focused on recruiting what he calls an “Army of God” — as he barnstorms the country promoting his vision of putting Christianity at the center of American life.

Vought’s beliefs over time have been informed by his relationship with Wolfe. The two spent time together at Heritage Action, a conservative policy advocacy group. And Vought has praised their yearslong partnership. “I’m proud to work with @William_E_Wolfe on scoping out a sound Christian Nationalism,” he posted on X, then Twitter, in January 2023.

Vought often echoes Wolfe’s principles, including on immigration. “Jesus Christ wasn’t an open-borders socialist,” Wolfe wrote for The Daily Caller in April while a visiting CRA fellow. “The Bible unapologetically upholds the concept of sovereign nations.”

While speaking in September at American Moment’s “ Theology of American Statecraft: The Christian Case for Immigration Restriction” on Capitol Hill in September, Vought defended the widely-criticized practice of family separation at the border during the Trump years, telling the audience “the decision to defend the rule of law necessitates the separation of families.”

The Heritage Foundation’s Project 2025 offers more visibility into what policy agenda a future Trump administration might pursue. It says policies that support LGBTQ+ rights, subsidize “single-motherhood” and penalize marriage should be repealed because subjective notions of “gender identity” threaten “Americans’ fundamental liberties.”

It also proposes increasing surveillance of abortion and maternal mortality reporting in the states, compelling the Food and Drug Administration to revoke approval of “chemical abortion drugs” and protecting “religious and moral” objections for employers who decline contraception coverage for employees. One of the groups that partners with Project 2025, Turning Point USA, is among conservative influencers that health professionals have criticized for targeting young women with misleading health concerns about hormonal birth control. Another priority is defunding Planned Parenthood, which provides reproductive health care to low-income women.

Wolfe, who has deleted several posts on X that detail his views, has a more extreme outlook of what a government led by Christian nationalists should propose. In a December post, he called for ending sex education in schools, surrogacy and no-fault divorce throughout the country, as well as forcing men “to provide for their children as soon as it’s determined the child is theirs” — a clear incursion by the government into Americans’ private lives.

“Christians should reject a Christ-less ‘conservatism,’” he expanded in another X missive, “and demand the political movement we are most closely associated with make a return to Christ-centered foundations. Because it’s either Christ or chaos, even on the ‘Right.’”

Wolfe declined to comment.

The effort to imbue laws with biblical principles is already underway in some states. In Texas, Christian conservative supporters have pressured the legislature to require public schools to display the Ten Commandments in every classroom; targeted prohibitions on churches against direct policy advocacy and organized campaigns around “culture war” issues, including curbing LGBTQ+ rights, banning books and opposing gun safety laws.

“There’s been a tectonic shift in how the leadership of the religious right operates,” said Matthew Taylor, a scholar at the Institute for Christian Jewish Studies, who grew up evangelical. “These folks aren’t as interested in democracy or working through democratic systems as in the old religious right because their theology is one of Christian warfare.”

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 20, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trump's policy advisors are releasing plans for "Christian Nationalist" policy to be ready to be implemented on day one of a potential new Trump administration.

Politico has gotten ahold of internal Trump campaign documents with a list of policy ideas that they have agreed to pursue.

These include:

- Ending surrogacy.

- Revoke FDA approval of "chemical abortion drugs" and the ability to receive abortion drugs via mail.

- Protecting “religious and moral” objections for employers who decline contraception coverage for employees.

- Increasing surveillance of abortion and maternal mortality reporting in the states.

- Refusing to spend authorized congressional funds on unwanted projects (a practice mad illegal under Nixon) and fight the case to the Supreme Court.

- Eliminating the diversity lottery for immigration and reforming immigration criteria away from nation of origin, education, family connections, and employment to instead base immigration quality on their commitment to biblical teachings. Saying a person’s background doesn’t define who can enter the U.S., but rather, citing Biblical teachings, whether that person “accept[ed] Israel’s God, laws and understanding of history.”

- Create a new federal task force on fighting anti-Christian bias to be led by "a fully reformed Department of Justice that’s fair and equitable.”

- Get court rulings recognizing that the separation of church and state is “a commitment to an institutional separation between church and state, but not the separation of Christianity from its influence on government and society. Such a framework can lead to beneficial outcomes for our own communities, as well as individuals of all faiths.”

- Eliminate funding for and penalize state programs that promote transgender acceptance and replace them with programs that attempt to help correct gender confusion in youths.

Ok this stuff is legit terrifying

Essentially they want to establish that this is a Christian nation in all but name

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Politico has gotten ahold of internal Trump campaign documents with a list of policy ideas that they have agreed to pursue.

Lmao it's like the Trump team saw all the "Trump the moderate" takes that are for some reason going around and really didn't want that poo poo catching on or anything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ok this stuff is legit terrifying

Essentially they want to establish that this is a Christian nation in all but name

Yeah if they actually do this that's the end of the first amendment and the Great Experiment has conclusively failed

"subsidizing single motherhood" is probably going to be killing stuff like food stamps and CHIP

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Skex posted:

No he is not.

who is not? biden isn't a dyed in the wool zionist or trump ain't a petty fucker?

also, we all going to catch probes because us election talk is no longer allowed in the 'talk about us politics' thread and has been hidden in a quarantine again

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
It's terrifying but in a weird way I'm "glad" they're being so upfront about it. It's going to turn a lot of people off (I would hope)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Imagine being a left/liberal voter and getting a manifesto that clear and intentionally pointed at what you actually want, not mediated by a need to seem reasonable or willing to compromise. Just a pure vision of the country you want to live in, elucidated by the people you are being told your vote will empower. It's got to feel incredible to be pandered to that much, to be told what you care about actually really does matter, and to see a policy plan that at least goes beyond "We'll make healthcare savings available to tax credit qualifying households."

Now, I don't think they'll be able to accomplish maybe even 10 or 15% of what is in that plan, were Trump to win, for reasons we can get into, but you have to envy the willingness to completely throw away the mask, and give the base something to really hope for and work for. That's good politics, regardless of what you think of the policies themselves, which are horrible.

I honestly cannot imagine what a politician making an offer this tempting and blood-quickening to the Dem base would even look like, or who could credibly offer it to them; Bernie was successfully neutered, and the Squad doesn't have anybody with both the willingness and the clout to pull it off.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Politico has gotten ahold of internal documents from Trump campaign advisors and former Trump admin officials with a list of policy ideas that they have agreed to pursue.

These include:

- Ending surrogacy.

- Refusing to spend authorized congressional funds on unwanted projects (a practice made illegal under Nixon) and fight the case to the Supreme Court.

They could have just said "Nazis"

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

World Famous W posted:

who is not? biden isn't a dyed in the wool zionist or trump ain't a petty fucker?

Bibi fawns over trump like a sycophant because he's not an idiot and knows he's easy to play. I don't think the man who moved the embassy to Jerusalem and who is about to announce a "Christian nationalist" platform is going to suddenly have a change of heart wrt Israel.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

metachronos posted:

It's terrifying but in a weird way I'm "glad" they're being so upfront about it. It's going to turn a lot of people off (I would hope)

They may not actually be up front about it. He did a similar thing in 2016, where he was telling everyone he was going to ban abortion and get Roe overturned, but when confronted about it in the debates he said he would never do that. Then, went back to privately assuring Christian groups that he was definitely going to ban abortion. He rarely brought it up unprompted, though.

When he accidentally said part of it publicly during the debates (that abortion was going to be made illegal and that the woman should face criminal charges if she breaks the law), then the pro-life groups told him to walk it back and stop making that argument, which he did.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Skex posted:

No he is not.

Nothing of what Yawgmoft said was untrue. Biden is wasting enormous amounts of political capital to support Israels PM who's hoping Biden loses his upcoming election.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

These include:

- Ending surrogacy.

This stuff is terrifying and possible. This list should be made clear far and wide to every possible Democratic voter.

Too bad the Genocide Joe folks don't care about Christofascism here or domestic policy and would rather vote for Trump just because they incorrectly perceive him as less beholden to Israel.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Crows Turn Off posted:

This stuff is terrifying and possible. This list should be made clear far and wide to every possible Democratic voter.

Too bad the Genocide Joe folks don't care about Christofascism here or domestic policy and would rather vote for Trump just because they incorrectly perceive him as less beholden to Israel.
the majority here who thinks biden is a genocidal freak is also not going to vote for trump

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

If Trump tells you a list of things that he is going to do, and you actually think he's going to do that, you are a big of a rube as his supporters.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i know it won't be but maybe she is airing some dirty laundry.

These include:

- Ending surrogacy.

its terryfying but its also gonna turn off anyone not in the boat for it. the GOP NEEDS the indies and moderates to come out for them and this poo poo isnt gonna help them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I do find it kind of darkly funny that they are willing to put down as policy really extreme stuff like ending no fault divorce, ending surrogacy, and being in favor of amending the concept of separation of church and state, but the same document that advocates for Christian Nationalism also takes a compromise position on abortion and explicitly allows blue states to keep performing abortions for the first 16 weeks.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 20, 2024

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Not voting for Biden is not the same thing as voting for Trump, and neither do they think that Trump somehow would be "less beholden to Israel". They just don't want to cast their vote for someone supplying the means for Israel to genocide people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I do find it kind of darkly funny that they are willing to put down as policy really extreme stuff like ending no fault divorce, ending surrogacy, and being in favor of amending the concept of separation of church and state, but the same document that advocates for Christian Nationalism also takes a compromise position on abortion and explicitly allows blue states to keep performing abortions for the first 16 weeks.

They think nobody will read past the abortion headline except devotees.