Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

It also replaces the loss condition with the more interesting game-over is only when your dynasty dies out rather than when it ceases to hold land.

I'm hoping there's a 100-Days achievement for starting off landless, becoming an emperor, becoming landless again, and then becoming an emperor again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geworfenheit
Feb 3, 2024

Magil Zeal posted:

The Byzantines are right there on the map and are a major player, and it seems to me one of the primary goals of the upcoming content is to make that different. There are some unique things about Byzantine culture but mostly they just operate as feudals that get early Primogeniture. Which is not very historically accurate (which is meh for me) or interesting (much more important imo). So if this isn't making the "existing game more deep and interesting" at least in intent I guess I'm not getting what you're saying.

i'm actually interested in these games mostly from a historical standpoint, and hope paradox makes the byzantines (and others) more realistic because i believe that gives mechanical depth by default.

when paradox mechanics don't feel deep it's usually because they haven't spent time on historical research to come up with and design special mechanics, and that's usually only with expansions.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Raenir Salazar posted:

For me I'm just not really sure how Paradox can make the gameplay deeper or more interesting, especially not without also hurting balance? I already dislike how popup heavy the game is, especially for multiplayer.

I haven't played in a while as I mainly play CK for megacampaigns, maybe I'd have a different wishlist if I played it again.

Landless gameplay and merchant republics feels like that would offer more varied gameplay options, and perhaps most importantly allow for a more convenient means of avoiding the host crashing to the desktop if he gets wiped out.

i just hope it doesn’t become “move your character icon around the map, click pop ups”

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ELTON JOHN posted:

i just hope it doesn’t become “move your character icon around the map, click pop ups”

That’s what is going to be for sure, I think

Travel around, do activities, have events, get things (gold, armies, claims). Question is if they are going to be able to make that fun anyway

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Moving stuff on the map and clicking popups are already the only two gameplay mechanics. Well there's also choosing options from a menu to give you more pop ups to click on

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Fundamentally these are all games about moving things on maps and clicking popups, if that's getting stale I have bad news

the fun has always been in the context

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Just finished a WC in one year
Writeup here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKi...web2x&context=3

Honestly I'm just happy to finish this before the dlc drops.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Fundamentally these are all games about moving things on maps and clicking popups, if that's getting stale I have bad news

the fun has always been in the context

I meant more a series of pop up events, since a lot of things that currently take up time (managing counsellors, managing marriages, construction, a lot of the decisions and activities) only make sense in the context of a landed noble. so they’ll have to introduce and entirely new series of activities and choices adapted to wandering around the map

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

scaterry posted:

Using the custom ruler exploit, we can place 100 copies of the trait "dull",

Kinda stopped reading there, sorry.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Serephina posted:

Kinda stopped reading there, sorry.

If it helps, you can do the run without the custom ruler exploit. You would use cynical + apostate for cheap conversions, and attraction opinion to replace the inflated diplomacy. It would involve rerolling your character like a hundred times so they start with diplomatic and intrigue lifestyle points, which is why I didn't do it

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Haven't played in a while. Is the allied enemy AI still awful? Last I played they would just do their own terrible, mercurial thing then ultimately just wonder off from the war without even a notification. It felt like I was playing lemmings, but there was some malice behind it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-145-legends-legitimacy.1624620/

I cannot wait to play this, so much good stuff.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

wit posted:

Haven't played in a while. Is the allied enemy AI still awful? Last I played they would just do their own terrible, mercurial thing then ultimately just wonder off from the war without even a notification. It felt like I was playing lemmings, but there was some malice behind it.

It's better but still not great. It at least gives the sense more of the time that they're doing what they think will help the war most, instead of "I have no idea what they're doing or why." And they're better at contributing overall, which makes it slightly less frustrating. But I still wouldn't rely on them for anything other than being additional meat.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The AI is awful at war in general. They'll have a place sieged down like 90% of the way and abandon it to go chase an army. They'll also wonder around enemy territory taking constant attrition.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Legends of the Dead looks good so far, perhaps game will feel less stale on an emperor level if I will be able to go on an 'adventure' as a non-Norse ruler. I wonder whether it is one-time per ruler or one-time per dynasty/game. Hopefully there will be also more internal strife due to (il)legitimacy.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

who gives a poo poo about any religious changes that aren't letting me be antipope yet. this is insane it was in ck2 forever!

👆

wit posted:

That’s actually a good idea for there to be a pop up if your ally starts or defends from another war. Something like “to my ally [player character], events at home are giving me heartburn and we gotta dip, sorry”

Re the dlc, it’s pretty clear legitimacy is an answer to the problem of vassal opinion being easily won. It seems to take those opinions and among other contributing factors affect things that previously only cost prestige. Not even having seen it in action yet though I’m coming around to the idea that it’s not just another manna counter.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wish there was like a way of setting up internal family politics, like family traditions or more granular inheritance or something. Like "No landed children marrying someone in a way that would cause the title passing out from the family; and anyone who marries someone in a way that would cause this are skipped for succession and legally dead (ala British succession)".

Insofar as I like to play a certain way, where as the King/Emperor I want to do a variant of North Korea where its *only* my family in every landed position. But this is like herding cats because either they accept a marriage offer that could cause the title to pass from the family or worse be inherited into a different realm; or someone marries this way but they end up inheriting.

I'd like the Japanese thing where someone can take your family name when they marry in, and set it up so this has to happen instead.

Matrilineal marriages only solve a small subset of the problem.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Tatsuta Age posted:

who gives a poo poo about any religious changes that aren't letting me be antipope yet. this is insane it was in ck2 forever!

Form a schism with you as the head of religion, while singing this:
https://youtu.be/FxxhAS16vB0

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

It would be really cool if they added a decision to reunite the Breton kingdoms of Cornwall, Wales, and Armorica through a legend. Like when you fire that decision, Brittany, Wales, Cornwall, and Armorica split off from the UK/Europe and drift out past Ireland and form a new Breton island like Bro Waroc'h or something like that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

scaterry posted:

what the gently caress

how long did this take you in irl hours? Just to execute, not even including all of the planning I'm sure you had to do

geworfenheit
Feb 3, 2024

wit posted:

it's still pretty bad, and they cannot handle a really large war with lots of attackers and defenders, especially something like a crusade.

they barely assist you in battles even if it is happening nearby, though on that front it is better than before.

i honestly don't like the table thing, detailed maps like that aren't really historically accurate.

geworfenheit fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 20, 2024

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

what the gently caress

how long did this take you in irl hours? Just to execute, not even including all of the planning I'm sure you had to do

I've been planning it since like Legacy of Persia released. I started actually executing around the dlc announcement, which got me to stop procrastinating (February 8th or so)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm outing me as a Byzantium fanboy, but I really care much more about the Byzantine Empire changes promised to us than the legitimacy and legacy stuff. Not that it's bad, Holy Fury's bloodlines in CK2 were really cool, and an overall system tracking your legitimacy in the eyes of your vassals is a good thing. And some of the legend stuff looks nice, too. Getting a Viking conquest CB is a great concept.

But all these things are far less exciting than the Byzantine overhaul, so I was a little bit disappointed with the dev diary.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wish there were traits beyond Ambitious/Content like Loyalist/Malcontent. An ambitious loyalist is someone who wants to advance their career and power but generally has your back as long as you continue to give them rewards for their service (and get much happier as a result), but your Malcontent Starscream-esque vassal if ambitious is always gunning for your throne.

It'd be neat if some traits could even be secret/hidden, you can figure these out using your spymaster or via events and so on because its weird to me if you could know and immediately work to neuter the Roose Bolton's of your realm.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

scaterry posted:

All i can say is

Inshallah

Actually i wanna see what happens if you just let the game run for the rest of the time. What does this world turn into after your character dies.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 21, 2024

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Hihohe posted:

All i can say is

Inshallah

Actually i wanna see what happens if you just let the game run for the rest of the time. What does this world turn into after your character dies.

frms_benni has a video here where he shows off something similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z9CbxcxpZI

The writeup also has a link to the save if you want to simulate it. I’m probably going to push for a one faith, possibly more

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I'm outing me as a Byzantium fanboy, but I really care much more about the Byzantine Empire changes promised to us than the legitimacy and legacy stuff. Not that it's bad, Holy Fury's bloodlines in CK2 were really cool, and an overall system tracking your legitimacy in the eyes of your vassals is a good thing. And some of the legend stuff looks nice, too. Getting a Viking conquest CB is a great concept.

But all these things are far less exciting than the Byzantine overhaul, so I was a little bit disappointed with the dev diary.

The Byzantium overhaul isn't coming until the second big DLC of the year, so I imagine we won't be hearing any more about that until we get closer to that release date in Q3. :)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SlothBear posted:

The Byzantium overhaul isn't coming until the second big DLC of the year, so I imagine we won't be hearing any more about that until we get closer to that release date in Q3. :)

Oh, I missed that. But if landless play comes with the first DLC, I'll be happy, too.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

No landless gameplay is also in the second one

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I wonder if it'll be fake landless like ck2 republics where you still had your dynasty manor barony, or if it will truly be titleless.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The steam page mentions a family estate for at least the Byzantine landless gameplay, but unknown if that also applies to adventurers.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Adventurers will live in a boat

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

LIVING IN A CARAVAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
DLC page also mentions travelling on the map (even multiple generations) until you might decide to settle

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Now that's making me think it's setting the stage for a nomad focused dlc next year. :pray:

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
Finished a succesful "The Ummayaad strikes back" run with an added "Iberia or Iberia" and "What nepotism?" and man, I have no wish to play muslim rulers for a while. The dynasty bloated to have 500+ members and it became tedious. Less about characters creating stories, more about clicking the same icons over and over. Once you cross a certain threshold in empire size, the amount of small micro-decisions required keep up became so overwhelming I could no longer manage

Game, could you perhaps stop bombarding me with "x wants a divorce, grant divorce?" notifications literally every second. I'm already dealing with your "you need another tax collector" every other year: I will "remember to visit your royal court!" later ... I know that the Camel's buttcheek accolade is lacking a successor again I know I've got like ...10 inactive ones I figure it later I really need to focus on forging alliance with these 10+ unhappy cousins (who are partially unhappy because I won't let them have their divorces) and their factions ....

...Yes, game , I am aware that my retinues are not linked to any holding, again, but this antagonistic succession isn't doing me any favors after a cross-map migration (and the house unity keeps dropping because it seems everyone is trying to divorce each other) and oh god can someone else please educate my +15 children (of a ruler who is shy, disfigured, and asexual) I just can't bother I am busy rn my third uncle is trying to assassinate me while the 2nd and 4th are about to rebel and no for the last time, you can't have my great-grand-fathers poetry collection, second aunt in Galicia, piss off. No, you can't have a divorce!

So. That was what it was like at the end of the run. Nothing but pressing the same buttons, repeating the same actions and seeing the same notifications, repeatedly. Non-stop divorce requests, accolades and retinues being inactive because having to repeatedly check and fix them was more work upon work and I kept forgetting as I was being bombarded with events and notifications. Can you not automate any of this somehow, please??

Goatson fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 21, 2024

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Really wish this landless system came with a rework of the military system where you called vassal's MaA into wars or got access to their cultural unit types. Especially for a Byz expansion imagine how cool it'd be if you could invite like, landless turcomans to roam your lands and they cause shitloads of problems but give you horse archers

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Hell, there might finally be a way to represent mamlukes and gulams

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wish there were traits beyond Ambitious/Content like Loyalist/Malcontent. An ambitious loyalist is someone who wants to advance their career and power but generally has your back as long as you continue to give them rewards for their service (and get much happier as a result), but your Malcontent Starscream-esque vassal if ambitious is always gunning for your throne.

It'd be neat if some traits could even be secret/hidden, you can figure these out using your spymaster or via events and so on because its weird to me if you could know and immediately work to neuter the Roose Bolton's of your realm.

Hard agree to all of this, especially the "traits shouldn't be known to you unless they take an action related to them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Moon Slayer posted:

Hard agree to all of this, especially the "traits shouldn't be known to you unless they take an action related to them."

Heck it'd be kinda neat if it was randomized. Like you can know they're ambitious but miss out on them being Loyalist, so you imprison them on faulty info.