Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Platystemon posted:

The way I see it, it ought to be legislated/prosecuted under the scope of negligent infliction of emotional distress. It’s a violation of the prospective parent(s), not the embryo.

The concurring opinion in the case highlights repeatedly that the statute they are ruling on needs to be clarified by the legislature. Whether that happens in AL seems unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://bsky.app/profile/mjsdc.bsky.social/post/3klu6r3egqv2i

Justice Alito takes aim at marriage equality again, warning that Obergefell means "Americans who do not hide their adherence to traditional religious beliefs about homosexual conduct" are being "labeled as bigots and treated as such" by the state and "society."

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/022024zor_7647.pdf

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I want to say overturning gay marriage is just a step too far and they're not that stupid but, well, here we are. We're not even past the doorstep for decades of this court and it's gonna loving suck.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I enjoy the growing existential dread I feel each day because of the courts influence. It's great. I can't wait for marriage to be annulled, LGBT folks made illegal, and abortion to be punished via execution.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://bsky.app/profile/mjsdc.bsky.social/post/3klu6r3egqv2i

Justice Alito takes aim at marriage equality again, warning that Obergefell means "Americans who do not hide their adherence to traditional religious beliefs about homosexual conduct" are being "labeled as bigots and treated as such" by the state and "society."

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/022024zor_7647.pdf

Why is he concerned about religious beliefs again? I feel like he should know there should be a separation of church and state.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It's cool how even the mere idea of packing the courts was shot down repeatedly, nothing like being beholden to a handful of completely unchecked ghouls

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird food bathtub posted:

I want to say overturning gay marriage is just a step too far and they're not that stupid but, well, here we are. We're not even past the doorstep for decades of this court and it's gonna loving suck.

Yup. Obergefell is probably at risk once the 5th circuit comes up with some bullshit to justify it. Griswold (contraception case) is at risk if/when Donnie wins and decides to use the Comstock Act to halt distribution of abortion pills and plan B. Insurrection Act is going to be a real motherfucker when Donnie cites it for any random thing and the current court goes "well he's the president, can't counter his sage and wise judgment".

Zamujasa posted:

It's cool how even the mere idea of packing the courts was shot down repeatedly, nothing like being beholden to a handful of completely unchecked ghouls

It really is something that Democrats in the early Obama age were too decorum-brained to start passing poo poo to clear out laws like Comstock from being a thing and even allowing the Supreme Court to suck like this one is. At least I understand recently how one/two democratic senators were too decorum-brained, but the Obama era had like 10+.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Speaking of LGBTQ+ rights:
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1759902757601914989?t=TaktafvqEs35rPj6HNwBLA&s=19

FAFO.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I was reminded today that america was the undisputed home of avantgarde art for 1930-1970, and then philosophy, medicine, pop culture, engineering, architecture, journalism, everything progressive save for one area as a minor concession. And then the 1980's.
Logically, sure, no surprises, but. It’s still such a strange feeling.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Those poor kids. Also, what a bunch of dumbshits

But you know they're never going to have a moment of clarity or oversight about the whole thing no matter what.

Are we the baddies? the entitled immigrants who swoop in, don't even bother to learn the language, expect the government to set them up with everything, complain endlessly when they don't get what they want, and think they can just say and criticize however they want?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If they're having money troubles, I hear that the Russian military is very friendly to immigrants and pays a $2000 per month salary along with fresh bread twice a day

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Comment Award goes to Laughing Gravy: “I’ll bet back home they used to whine about immigrants who don’t know the language, who have no money, who expect the government to hand them a house and a job, and who complain when they don’t get everything they want.”

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Three weeks?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

How long would you last in a foreign country if all your money was seized?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fair. Still gonna laugh.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

On the other hand any company who monitors their employees that closely is 'leave immediately' red flag.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

On the other hand any company who monitors their employees that closely is 'leave immediately' red flag.

Yeah, but this is the federal government. It's in no way that bad and most non-supervisory positions are covered by the union, so it's nowhere near being overbearing or burdensome.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Notably, he’s describing tracking task management and answering phone calls. Not keyloggers or alerts if you idle on the same page too long.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mlmp08 posted:

Notably, he’s describing tracking task management and answering phone calls. Not keyloggers or alerts if you idle on the same page too long.

yeah, its this. its literally just "we know if someone isn't doing their job because the work doesn't get done"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Call centers suck but this sounds par for the course, private or government.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pine Cone Jones posted:

quote:

"Americans who do not hide their adherence to traditional religious beliefs about homosexual conduct" are being "labeled as bigots and treated as such" by the state and "society."

My brother in Christ, that is the dictionary definition of bigot.

quote:

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

My brother in Christ, that is the dictionary definition of bigot.

But what about being bigoted against bigots? Can’t have that either!

Checkmate libs.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

RFC2324 posted:

yeah, its this. its literally just "we know if someone isn't doing their job because the work doesn't get done"

Yeah that's how I interpreted it as well. Most managers I've had don't give a gently caress so long as work gets done and they don't have to put out fires you're creating due to not getting work done.

The few that were micromanaging or wanted to constant check over my shoulder weren't my managers for very long.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

You may not remember J.R. Majewski, but here is a brief summary of this fine gentleman.

• Became the Republican candidate for the Ohio 9th district (Toledo) in 2022 after going full MAGA.

• Jumped on the QAnon bandwagon and was at the Capitol on January 6 and later says he's "Pissed off with himself" for not entering the building.

• Claimed after 9/11 he joined the Air Force and saw combat in Afghanistan. The Air Force said he was in Qatar but never Afghanistan. Also he got demoted for drunk driving at Kaneda

• Gets largely abandoned by the GOP

• He lost by 13 points to Marcy Kaptur, who's been in Congress literally since before I was born, and I'm 39 (:cripes:)

• Dropped out of the running for the 2024 primary last may.

• in December he re-joined the running and Trumpists are now backing him because the leading candidate was caught saying bad things about daddy trump.

All of this brings us to this month when ole JR couldn't help himself

https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1757153348174684175

quote:

"Shout out to all the Democrats living in Mom's basement that like to talk poo poo on the Internet. You know, no matter how hard you try, arguing on the Internet, it's like being in the Special Olympics," he said. "No matter how good you perform, you still have… you're still loving retarded at the end of the day."

"Yeah, that's gonna get clipped and ran against me in the general election," added Majewski, later adding that his "aunt has Aspergers."

Basticle fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 20, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

When you’re right you’re right

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t disagree with the statement he said, so much, as being full blown QAnon, 1/6, Trumper type.

He’s shooting for a specific demographic, and they use another word with a hard R all the time and they feel emboldened every time a Trump cultist does this poo poo. And then we see video of them getting their poo poo kicked in by “Antifa” or wtf ever.

I mean, the R word was once the PC choice over mongoloid. I forget what we’re supposed to call MR people anymore, so I’ve just been using MR in the rare instance it comes up.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 21, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Sure looks like that Republicans' star witness for the Biden impeachment was a literal Russian intelligence asset.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1760077358281675215?t=nLgNqGne3RWkdFAoG_H2gw&s=19

https://twitter.com/alanfeuer/status/1760069917104119832?t=2omvExIVa6DpY7_hhM71KA&s=19

Sure is strange how this keeps happening!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/rtiron/status/1760004754044821735?t=d7DtYjnoGmrSeNZqypaNgQ&s=19

[Tiny Dancer plays distant in the background]

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Who could've predicted this?!

We all did. All of us vets.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
But! But! something something culture, builds character, new softer army/marine corps something something

edit: reminds me of when contractors decided to put AC in the barracks in Fort Drum in the summer of '05 I think. They cut the holes in the walls and covered them up with trash bags. That's it. All winter we had a huge gaping hole in the wall. They fixed it next summer but I was deployed. You could keep your box of wine in there and it would turn into a slushy!

Then there was the mold you couldn't escape and the mice. Dead mouse in the vending machine, dead/cooked mouse in the day room microwave, had an airborne mouse infiltrate and PLF from the drop ceiling. Made me the man I am today lol.

Wrong Theory fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 21, 2024

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Who is the goon in here who's job is to create reports on why the military is super bad at everything that the DoD then turns around Seymour Skinner's it?

Must be having a moment right now.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

not caring here posted:

Who is the goon in here who's job is to create reports on why the military is super bad at everything that the DoD then turns around Seymour Skinner's it?

Must be having a moment right now.

Vas rarely posts anymore.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It would be horrifically unethical, but if pro sports dropped all restrictions on performance enhancement it would be like the loving space race of biomedical research. 20 years from now we'd be like "oh no, I got paralyzed in a car crash, I'll need to pick up a stem cell booster at the drug store and take all weekend to heal up".

I'm guessing you missed Pride FC when it was a thing.

And it was a thing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Those Fedor fights were basically snuff films

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW5-bO0MJPs

idk I think chute boxe, especially wanderlei silva, got there just by being willing to work harder than everyone else

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

and no way ricardo arona was on drugs, that physique is 100% built by BJJ, surfing, and making special friends with as many married women as possible

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

maffew buildings posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW5-bO0MJPs

idk I think chute boxe, especially wanderlei silva, got there just by being willing to work harder than everyone else

I find it funny now that 20 years ago I watched that and thought "I'm going to learn how to do that!" and not "I don't need to get kicked in the head"

I'm glad my heart kept me from getting very far down that path.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
They made more arrests in the KC parade shooting

It wasn't the juveniles.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Sounds like it wasn’t just the juveniles.

gently caress em all, bury them all under the prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Dum Cumpster posted:

I find it funny now that 20 years ago I watched that and thought "I'm going to learn how to do that!" and not "I don't need to get kicked in the head"

I'm glad my heart kept me from getting very far down that path.

RIP Ninja Rua's brain. edit: PRIDE died so that from it's ashes Sengoku Raiden Championship could rise and have that one NYE fight where there were like 9 nut shots hell yeah Mr. Nice! you remember or were you one of those losers who didn't stay home on IRC watching fights from Japan at 2am or whatever