Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Crows Turn Off posted:

This stuff is terrifying and possible. This list should be made clear far and wide to every possible Democratic voter.

Too bad the Genocide Joe folks don't care about Christofascism here or domestic policy and would rather vote for Trump just because they incorrectly perceive him as less beholden to Israel.

Given Trump's proven record on Israel and public statements during Israel's current campaign, and how often they've been cited in this thread even, it's increasingly difficult to believe anyone actively engaged in US politics "incorrectly perceives" Trump as less friendly to Israel so much as that they're willfully misrepresenting him as such. Ignorance is only a valid cover for someone who doesn't actually follow the topics of either Trump or Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I do find it kind of darkly funny that they are willing to put down as policy really extreme stuff like ending no fault divorce, ending surrogacy, and being in favor of amending the concept of separation of church and state, but the same document also takes a compromise position on abortion and explicitly allows blue states to keep performing abortions for the first 16 weeks.

There has to be somewhere in the country for the Christofascists to travel to get their abortions.

Crows Turn Off posted:

This stuff is terrifying and possible. This list should be made clear far and wide to every possible Democratic voter.

Too bad the Genocide Joe folks don't care about Christofascism here or domestic policy and would rather vote for Trump just because they incorrectly perceive him as less beholden to Israel.

Just a heads up that there was just another ceasefire vote in the U.N., and the United States vetoed it. It was the only country to vote against it. It sure seems like Genocide Joe is directing his administration to take measures to keep the genocide going.

B B fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 20, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

selec posted:

Imagine being a left/liberal voter and getting a manifesto that clear and intentionally pointed at what you actually want, not mediated by a need to seem reasonable or willing to compromise. Just a pure vision of the country you want to live in, elucidated by the people you are being told your vote will empower . . . .

I honestly cannot imagine what a politician making an offer this tempting and blood-quickening to the Dem base would even look like, or who could credibly offer it to them; Bernie was successfully neutered, and the Squad doesn't have anybody with both the willingness and the clout to pull it off.

Trump couldn't have gone this mask off in his first term campaign either. This is second term and still popular poo poo. His base think everyone fuxkin loves him (except nonpersons who don't count)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Essentially that Trump doc is planning to use the Supreme Court to undo the Constitution. And to be honest I’m not seeing anything completely implausible when this Court feels like they can just do anything they want.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Trump couldn't have gone this mask off in his first term campaign either. This is second term and still popular poo poo. His base think everyone fuxkin loves him (except nonpersons who don't count)

thats kinda why the GOP has gone full mask off. the hardliners and grifters are running the circus and think the silent majority is fully behind them and tottally want this. i mean sure its backfired a bunch in the last couple elections, but this time it will totally work.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Aztec Galactus posted:

If Trump tells you a list of things that he is going to do, and you actually think he's going to do that, you are a big of a rube as his supporters.

He doesn't have to do it, just appoint the people who will do it. Stephen Miller was the one who hosed up immigration. Louis DeJoy was the one who hosed up the postal service. Kavanaugh, Gorsuch, and Barrett are the ones who are loving up our society.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

McCloud posted:

Not voting for Biden is not the same thing as voting for Trump...
If Biden does not win, then Trump will. That is the reality. So yes, not voting for Biden is in practice the same as voting for Trump.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

haveblue posted:

He doesn't have to do it, just appoint the people who will do it. Stephen Miller was the one who hosed up immigration. Louis DeJoy was the one who hosed up the postal service. Kavanaugh, Gorsuch, and Barrett are the ones who are loving up our society.

Yeah, it's a retread of one of the worst takes of 2016/2017, the "Trump's a NYC guy, he's gonna govern as a sensible business type while only giving lip service to culture wars, he might even run left of Clinton!" one that ignored the people he was lining up for the executive and judicial branches and the statements that got him adoring cheers from his base.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
one last heads up to my fellow posters before you get hit, election talk, as relevant as it actually is to us politics, is quarantined again

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

In the article, it is noted that these documents were not meant for public view and the Trump campaign said they have no comment on them, so they aren't denying them, but they aren't shouting it from the rooftop either.

This is more of a leak than an intentional mask off moment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, it's a retread of one of the worst takes of 2016/2017, the "Trump's a NYC guy, he's gonna govern as a sensible business type while only giving lip service to culture wars, he might even run left of Clinton!" one that ignored the people he was lining up for the executive and judicial branches and the statements that got him adoring cheers from his base.

this. trump doesnt care about that poo poo but not in a postivive way. he would back it and be fine doing it and or going further because "gently caress the libs" and "my base cheered".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

In the article, it is noted that these documents were not meant for public view and the Trump campaign said they have no comment on them, so they aren't denying them, but they aren't shouting it from the rooftop either.

This is more of a leak than an intentional mask off moment.

i could see them dropping it more "openly" when trump wins the primary and or picks a VP.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yawgmoft posted:

The second point you raised is correct, but if anything I think Biden is far more supportive of Israel than Trump is. All it would take is one perceived slight for Trump to abandon them, while Biden is perfectly willing to take slap after slap from Netanyahu while trying to funnel even more money to him.

That's not true. We know this because Trump already absolutely loathes Netanyahu. That one perceived slight came in November 2020, when Netanyahu called up Biden to congratulate him on his victory. Apparently, Trump expected Netanyahu to join him on the election-denier train, and was extremely offended by Netanyahu daring to acknowledge Biden as a legitimate president.

But as we've seen, Trump has a ton of pro-Israel companions who have demonstrated their ability to convince him that he shouldn't drop support for Israel just because he now hates Netanyahu. Aside from the clear political and ideological incentives Trump has for supporting Israel, his friends and family also include many big Israel backers. In particular, Kushner has a number of personal, business, and financial ties to Israel's political and economic elite, and also ideologically and economically supports the Zionist project and the extremist settler frontlines.

Moreover, Trump might abandon Netanyahu personally, but would happily give tons of support to Israel under any of Netanyahu's rivals in hopes of currying favor with him the same way he tried to curry favor with Netanyahu. I expect that when Netanyahu is inevitably ousted (his political career is absolutely toast after 10/7), his successor will get a massive pile of generous political gifts from Trump, mostly in the form of American approval and support for Israel doing things that even Biden refused to approve of.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Killer robot posted:

Given Trump's proven record on Israel and public statements during Israel's current campaign, and how often they've been cited in this thread even, it's increasingly difficult to believe anyone actively engaged in US politics "incorrectly perceives" Trump as less friendly to Israel so much as that they're willfully misrepresenting him as such. Ignorance is only a valid cover for someone who doesn't actually follow the topics of either Trump or Israel.

Yeah the argument only works if you ignore every single thing Trump has ever said or did. Or you are trying to shitstir the same fight for the 100th time to own the libs. Neither of them has anything resembling good policy on Israel but pretending Trump will do better is just theater.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

World Famous W posted:

the majority here who thinks biden is a genocidal freak is also not going to vote for trump

I honestly don't believe that. As far as I am concerned anyone who is parroting right-wing propaganda is a right-wing propagandist knowingly or not.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Skex posted:

I honestly don't believe that. As far as I am concerned anyone who is parroting right-wing propaganda is a right-wing propagandist knowingly or not.
and if they are unwittingly a propagandist, how does that get them to voting for trump? these are two separate thoughts

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Aztec Galactus posted:

If Trump tells you a list of things that he is going to do, and you actually think he's going to do that, you are a big of a rube as his supporters.
He doesn't need to do much of anything. He just appoints people who sucked up the most to him in order to gain positions of power, and once there, they delegate atrocities which hurt us. Boldly. Intentionally.

On top of that, he'll tell us things he's going to do that he absolutely does to the best extent of his ability, and delegates others to help him get away with it by tearing down the structures that exist that limit those actions. He told us he was going to do a muslim ban, and outright did it, and would like to do it again and again with courts and civil structures remediated to permit it. He tells us what he wants to do to people from "shithole countries" and under him, the worst possible people will be in charge of the systems that can do it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1759920867314741608

I don't know about political capital but in terms of actual capital: The President has secured the bag.

My good friend, this is just "normal politician" stuff

https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/1759350142124044391

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Yeah, we have never had a wider gap in either personal campaign funding or national political organization funding. No comparable situation existed in either of the prior elections involving trump.

Sapped by trump's inverse pressures against their core competencies at fundraising (and having much of their fundraising dollars from small donors poached directly by trump's own fundraising sites) the RNC made less over the whole year than the DNC made in the last quarter alone, and has very little money to move with directly – the warchest is dry.

Trump's own campaign fundraising intentionally uses a donation agreement that lets the donation be used at the org's discretion for either campaign or non-campaign costs, which means his fans have been paying into the black hole of his financial setbacks and civil case liabilities.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Will advertising matter? Trump generates his own headlines and nobody is voting who doesn't already have a Trump based opinion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Will advertising matter? Trump generates his own headlines and nobody is voting who doesn't already have a Trump based opinion.

Unequivocally: yes. And I don't think opinions are that set in stone, even on a guy like Trump. People have kind of memory holed a lot of what he did as president and reminding them of that constantly will have benefit.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

selec posted:

Imagine being a left/liberal voter and getting a manifesto that clear and intentionally pointed at what you actually want, not mediated by a need to seem reasonable or willing to compromise. Just a pure vision of the country you want to live in, elucidated by the people you are being told your vote will empower. It's got to feel incredible to be pandered to that much, to be told what you care about actually really does matter, and to see a policy plan that at least goes beyond "We'll make healthcare savings available to tax credit qualifying households."

Now, I don't think they'll be able to accomplish maybe even 10 or 15% of what is in that plan, were Trump to win, for reasons we can get into, but you have to envy the willingness to completely throw away the mask, and give the base something to really hope for and work for. That's good politics, regardless of what you think of the policies themselves, which are horrible.

I honestly cannot imagine what a politician making an offer this tempting and blood-quickening to the Dem base would even look like, or who could credibly offer it to them; Bernie was successfully neutered, and the Squad doesn't have anybody with both the willingness and the clout to pull it off.

For one thing there's vastly more diversity in wants and desires among the left/liberal ideological wing of US politics; so its categorically impossible to have a manifesto as clear without effectively splitting/fracturing that support. It's not even a question of reasonableness, the liberal/left of America in not only details but in wider ranging policies generally want different things and the only thing that they can broadly agree on in a vacuum is "We're like society to be improved somewhat", on virtually any issue you can name there's easily a wide range of opinions among leftists and liberals. The difference in opinion between two different pixels along the spectrum of shades of grey among leftist-liberalism is as stark as black and white.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah. a plurality of people dont even think trump will be the nominee.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

In some lighter news, SBF seems like he's making friends in prison:

https://twitter.com/TiffanyFong_/status/1759771479645020571

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Kavros posted:

He doesn't need to do much of anything. He just appoints people who sucked up the most to him in order to gain positions of power, and once there, they delegate atrocities which hurt us. Boldly. Intentionally.

On top of that, he'll tell us things he's going to do that he absolutely does to the best extent of his ability, and delegates others to help him get away with it by tearing down the structures that exist that limit those actions. He told us he was going to do a muslim ban, and outright did it, and would like to do it again and again with courts and civil structures remediated to permit it. He tells us what he wants to do to people from "shithole countries" and under him, the worst possible people will be in charge of the systems that can do it.

It's not like he'd do less genocide, since he'd happily enable or do nothing to stop the other genocides going on or being attempted in the world. He wouldn't even help the Gazans, as when Oct 7th happened he wailed that he wished he was president so he could send in an American ground invasion of Gaza to drown the country in Gazan blood.

But somehow he ain't Genocide Trump.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

It matters to Jon Tester and Jacky Rosen and Collin Allred and the others who can use that money to secure/flip their Senate seats.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

B B posted:

In some lighter news, SBF seems like he's making friends in prison:

https://twitter.com/TiffanyFong_/status/1759771479645020571

What is the source of that picture and is SBF actually hanging out with Bloods?

Still wild that he is basically dying in prison for bitcoin.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The RNC being broke is at least on paper bad for other non-Trump Republican candidates

I don’t know if in practice it will mean much because the massive SuperPACs are probably just going to directly buy advertising themselves for candidates

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The RNC can coordinate and plan out strategies. Having fifty SuperPACs running around is less effective at distributing resources, so you'll have candidates with no support at all and then fifty million pumped into supporting Hulk Hogan in Maryland.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Kchama posted:

It's not like he'd do less genocide, since he'd happily enable or do nothing to stop the other genocides going on or being attempted in the world. He wouldn't even help the Gazans, as when Oct 7th happened he wailed that he wished he was president so he could send in an American ground invasion of Gaza to drown the country in Gazan blood.

I think we call Genocide Joe "Genocide Joe" because he's the one actively participating in the genocide and preventing the UN from calling for a ceasefire. As far as we know, Donald Trump isn't currently providing any material support in the way that Joe Biden continues to do. I am sure that if Donald Trump manages to win the presidency from Joe Biden and provides material support to the genocide, you'll see people criticizing Donald Trump with similar language.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

What is the source of that picture and is SBF actually hanging out with Bloods?

Still wild that he is basically dying in prison for bitcoin.

The other guy who is uncensored apparently provided the photo to the author of the tweet I posted. She interviewed him, and he provided the photo. Apparently the inmates are allowed to take group photos around Christmas time.

Supposedly SBF is making friends because has a reputation of not being a snitch, but he has been losing massive amounts of weight because he isn't able to keep his regular vegan diet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gallup has a new study out showing that marriage is the single largest predictor of people perceiving themselves as succeeding or happy in life.

Interestingly, divorced people got a sizable bump in happiness right before the pandemic and single people got a sizable drop in happiness during the pandemic and neither one has fully reverted to the mean yet. It's not clear if these are permanent changes or just blips. But, single people are increasingly seeing their lives as less successful while divorced people, who were previously perceiving themselves as the saddest or least successful have seen a large boost in their self-assessment.

That means that the average divorced dad is now roughly as happy/thriving at life as the average single person.

Even when controlling for education, income, and religiosity, marriage is still the single largest predictor of whether someone will assess themselves as thriving in life. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that marriage itself is the cause of that correlation.

According to Gallup, it could be that people who are friendlier, have large social groups, are more agreeable, are more conscientious, and have higher emotional stability are more likely to be married and remain married. Those traits could be what is driving the positive self-assessments and happiness rather than the marriage itself.

quote:

Married people are happier than single adults: survey

Money can't buy happiness, the old adage says. But maybe combining it with marriage can help.

Why it matters: Marital status is a stronger predictor of American adult wellbeing than education, race, age and gender, according to newly released data from the Institute for Family Studies and Gallup.

Last year, married adults between 25 and 50 years old were 17 percentage points more likely to be thriving than adults who never married.

Household income adjustment has the biggest sway on wellbeing for individuals, and typically rises after marriage when a couple pools their resources.

The intrigue: Demographic differences don't explain the higher prevalence of happiness across relationship status, the research found.

Married women and men both see a 20-percentage-point advantage compared to unmarried same-sex peers.

"A married adult who did not attend high school evaluates life higher, on average, than an unmarried adult with a graduate degree, after adjusting for gender, race, and age," the report said.

Zoom out: Americans are forgoing or delaying marriage.

The marriage rate over the last 50 years dropped by nearly 60%, and divorce is now more widely accepted in the U.S.

Separately, more Americans are living alone, as the country faces an isolation and loneliness crisis.

Between the lines: Marriage, as an institution or relationship, isn't necessarily the source of happiness.

People with character attributes linked to happiness, like agreeableness, emotional stability and conscientiousness, may be more likely to seek out marriage, according to Gallup.

Even when controlling for household income, "married people remain significantly more likely to be thriving," the report said.

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/09/marriage-wellbeing-happiness-survey

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 20, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

B B posted:

I think we call Genocide Joe "Genocide Joe" because he's the one actively participating in the genocide and preventing the UN from calling for a ceasefire. As far as we know, Donald Trump isn't currently providing any material support in the way that Joe Biden continues to do. I am sure that if Donald Trump manages to win the presidency from Joe Biden and provides material support to the genocide, you'll see people criticizing Donald Trump with similar language.

It was just a week ago people were continuing to call him Donald the Dove, I wouldn't expect language around Trump to change at this point.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 20, 2024

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

If Biden does not win, then Trump will. That is the reality. So yes, not voting for Biden is in practice the same as voting for Trump.

By that logic, not voting for Trump is the same as voting for Biden. Since I won't be voting for either of the diseased old psychopaths, I'm practically getting two votes here!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
voting third party actually gets you three votes

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

B B posted:

Donald Trump stepped up all the war and murder things people hated Obama for doing a huge amount, and did in a much bigger amount than Biden ever has. But people still float the idea that he'd dial the warmongering murder back compared to everyone else. And hell, his actions helped lead to what's going on today. So I'm gonna be skeptical that people are going to be any harder on Trump.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

B B posted:

Trump did a lot to set the stage for Israel's current actions while he was president, yes he lost the election but he shouldn't get credit for that specifically. The reason people are pushing back in this particular way is because there's no reason to think Trump would be less supportive of what Israel is doing, and lots of reasons to think he'd be worse

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

B B posted:

No. I don't think we will. I see people right now trying to memory hole Trump's enabling of Kurdish genocide by the Turkish government. I see people handwave away Trump's plans to enable Ukrainian genocide by the Russian government. And when people mention that communities will be erased here in the US by Trump's executive and judicial picks, they're twisting themselves into a pretzel by saying stuff like "I don't think he really cares that much". So I call a giant "bullshit" on that impending criticism.

theCalamity posted:

It’s because Trump isn’t the president. Joe Biden is currently the president and aiding Israel hence the moniker.

Exactly! Trump's never been the president or made his future plans known! He's just a big ol' blank slate that could do anything!

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 20, 2024

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Kchama posted:

It’s because Trump isn’t the president. Joe Biden is currently the president and aiding Israel hence the moniker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Donald The Dove was a very funny thing the media tried.