Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

bear with me here but what about a cannon at each camp that shoots the bags of poop off the mountain. like think different people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
what about a cannon that shoots people at the summit

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

Not sure people will want to be shot out of cannons full of poop.

Or maybe they will, not gonna judge mountain climbers kinks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
what about a cannon that shoots poop at people on the summit

HungryMedusa posted:

I am going to be the first climber to summit without pooping for 3 weeks so I don't have to carry it:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68237123

Imagine paying money to stand in a poop queue

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 17, 2024

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bloodlust? in the everest thread? well now ive seen it all

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Outrail posted:

what about a cannon that shoots poop at people on the summit

Only if you win a prize when you hit someone!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

dr_rat posted:

Only if you win a prize when you hit someone!

Beaning your managing director in the face with a wet load of poo poo is its own reward.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Outrail posted:

Beaning your managing director in the face with a wet load of poo poo is its own reward.

Yeah true, but it would still be great to bring home a fluffy Yeti doll. Or just a fluffy yeti!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Outrail posted:

Imagine paying money to stand in a poop queue

They can pass the poop bags down in the conga line, turn those lemons to lemonade!

Or maybe try a free market solution. Every climber pays $200 pawn fee for their poo and get handed poo bags. If they don't bring those bags down with them, there's incentive for locals to climb the mountain to collect the bags.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

HungryMedusa posted:

I am going to be the first climber to summit without pooping for 3 weeks so I don't have to carry it:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68237123

hell after 3 weeks you could probably ride it down.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Fumble posted:

hell after 3 weeks you could probably ride it down.

Or use it to blast off for an epic ski jump from the summit.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cactus Ghost posted:

all of which have the various compromises and modifications he listed

helicopters are the most maintenance-intensive machines ever created. they're mind-bogglingly expensive to operate, and the cost to operate them for one-off use cases (like carrying people to a mountaintop in one of the most remote and hostile environments on earth) increases logarithmically the more further-removed you are from ordinary, routinely economically viable locations and use cases. those alpine helicopters could do it, if they and all their support infrastructure wasn't on the other side of an ocean.

the everest thing was so improbable that most people were certain it would never happen even if the math said it was on the edge of possibility

I guess I should have expected the well akshually brigade when I mentioned everest. Yes it's not normal at 8848 but 3700m is totally routine, all the mountain huts around here are resupplied by helicopter and it's fine. Maybe your pilots suck?

Come to Zermatt and fly round the Matterhorn for a few bucks https://www.air-zermatt.ch/de

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

lol people paid $100,000 to stand in line on a mountain

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

knox_harrington posted:

I guess I should have expected the well akshually brigade when I mentioned everest. Yes it's not normal at 8848 but 3700m is totally routine, all the mountain huts around here are resupplied by helicopter and it's fine. Maybe your pilots suck?

Come to Zermatt and fly round the Matterhorn for a few bucks https://www.air-zermatt.ch/de

i dont have any pilots? wtf are you talking about

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

smoobles posted:

lol people paid $100,000 to stand in line on a mountain

The random sneaker popup shop downtown has a bigger line and probably makes a bigger profit. More poop, less death.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My downtown has plenty of poop

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

smoobles posted:

My downtown has plenty of poop

lol

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cactus Ghost posted:

i dont have any pilots? wtf are you talking about

Yup sure that's the key sentence there

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

knox_harrington posted:

Yup sure that's the key sentence there

i am making a serious effort to take you seriously, as this is business of helicopter debate is very serious

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You might be able to guess I’m working through National Geographic documentaries when I recommend The Mission. I don’t know if it quite fits this thread, but it involves a fairly wealthy young American preparing but not nearly enough for an unwise trip to an exotic locale, getting himself killed immediately, and disrespecting indigenous people. However, it does not have snow or altitude, so ymmv.

This is about the evangelical Christian kid who decided that he was going to convert the Sentinelese people, aka the tribe that remains minimally contacted because (for good reason) they kill almost everyone who tries. It’s a little more complex than the news stories that came out at the time (2018), but the main reason to recommend it is the extremely relevant interviews they managed to get.

https://films.nationalgeographic.com/the-mission

Only registered members can see post attachments!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The hubris on that kid was insane. Just a profound lack of respect for the islanders and incredibly naive.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The potential for spreading a disease they have no resistance is enough to say the outcome was a best case scenario for everyone involved.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Outrail posted:

The potential for spreading a disease they have no resistance is enough to say the outcome was a best case scenario for everyone involved.

The reason why there are so few of them is because they were already wiped out by disease a few decades ago.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

The hubris on that kid was insane. Just a profound lack of respect for the islanders and incredibly naive.

I like how they threatened to kill him multiple times but yet he kept coming back.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

hemale in pain posted:

I like how they threatened to kill him multiple times but yet he kept coming back.

Gotta rack up those Good ChristianTM points, regardless of the other peoples' preferences or disease tolerance

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
It was really a win win for everyone. He died certain he would go to heaven as a martyr, and they got rid of a really annoying kid who wouldn’t stay off their lawn island.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
when he died a goon reposted someone's public social media reaction along the lines of "I thought this was really funny until I learned he was POC :("

the galaxiest of brains

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

when he died a goon reposted someone's public social media reaction along the lines of "I thought this was really funny until I learned he was POC :("

the galaxiest of brains

lmao

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

religions that force youth to go proselytize are cults and the people who are brainwashed by them are victims and that uncontacted tribe committed murder, albeit of a tresspasser, so no worse than the castle doctrine assholes all over rural america

I have very little sympathy for the dead guy but I have no joy in his death either, it's gross and symptomatic of our society continuing to tolerate incredibly evil behavior by cultish religions carrying on the traditions of colonization without any restriction because "freedom of religion" and while another dead colonizer doesn't make me feel like that tribe did the worst thing ever

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

There’s a dude in the film that hung out in the jungle for decades doing missionary work and then out of the blue has a realization what am I doing??? and completely loses his faith. It owns.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Leperflesh posted:

religions that force youth to go proselytize are cults and the people who are brainwashed by them are victims and that uncontacted tribe committed murder, albeit of a tresspasser, so no worse than the castle doctrine assholes all over rural america

I have very little sympathy for the dead guy but I have no joy in his death either, it's gross and symptomatic of our society continuing to tolerate incredibly evil behavior by cultish religions carrying on the traditions of colonization without any restriction because "freedom of religion" and while another dead colonizer doesn't make me feel like that tribe did
the worst thing ever

No need to go any deeper than this imo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich posted:

the galaxiest of brains

found it:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Edit: Bad joke removed

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 21, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm sorry, is the concept there that you get a free pass to genocide a pre-contact civilization on the basis of your race?

what are they smoking

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I have very little sympathy for the dead guy but I have no joy in his death either, it's gross and symptomatic of our society continuing to tolerate incredibly evil behavior by cultish religions carrying on the traditions of colonization without any restriction because "freedom of religion" and while another dead colonizer doesn't make me feel like that tribe did the worst thing ever
The documentary goes into more detail that rearranges the stereotypical narrative a little. His family wasn’t evangelical and he was obsessed with the Senegalese and living that kind of lifestyle even as a kid. Obviously he discovered evangelicalism by high school and that got him real good, but instead of them sending him out as a missionary, he went around begging all kinds of people, churches, and missionary organizations until he found one that would support him in his goal.

They also believe — and I wish the documentary had gotten more into this — that you can be a missionary but not in a colonialist way. I don’t even know what that would look like, but it would be interesting to hear more about their concepts. I also think it adds an interesting layer of complication that he was half Chinese (first gen) and obviously wouldn’t have grown up in a Christian context if not for western Christians/evangelicals/colonialists in China at some point.

Potato Salad posted:

I'm sorry, is the concept there that you get a free pass to genocide a pre-contact civilization on the basis of your race?

what are they smoking
So one of the more-interesting-than-the-headline details is that they aren’t literally a pre-contact civilization with zero exposure to other humans or pathogens. The most ongoing contact they’ve had has been with T. N. Pandit and crew, repeated visits from the 60s to the 80s, but there were a good handful of both incidental and anthropological contacts afterward, too, for reasons as small as planting coconut trees or giving them a canoe or just seeing what was up. One cool thing is the documentary interviewed Pandit and included a lot of his experience.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 21, 2024

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

There’s a dude in the film that hung out in the jungle for decades doing missionary work and then out of the blue has a realization what am I doing??? and completely loses his faith. It owns.
That’s Daniel Everett, who’s not just famous in a bunch of circles, but also probably the best-placed person in the world to speak to Chau’s motives and goals vs. reality. Like when he came on screen I was literally like “oh poo poo they got the Piraha guy!!!” Absolutely fascinating life. I recommend his memoir Don’t Sleep, There Are Snakes.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Potato Salad posted:

what are they smoking

I think it was more a case of not wanting people to think they were laughing at a poc getting killed, and then dealing with a social media dog pile.

Poking fun at a white Christian male who died trying to force Jesus on some island people is pretty cut and dried. When its a poc there's nuance and Twitter isn't exactly the level headed platform to explore exactly why you're laughing at a minority's death.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One of the things about "lost tribes" and "pre-contact" peoples is that they're not actually lost or pre-contact, ever; they just haven't been documented by Western anthropologist contact. Sometimes they haven't actually directly met a white person. But these remote tribes have always have had contact with their neighbors, because if they didn't, they'd be a genetic island and inevitably experience generational inbreeding problems, and generally they know things about Westerners that have been told to them by those neighbors.

Cultural anthropologists "discovering" "primitive" tribes and then studying them has had a sordid history that is better than the history of religious prosyletizers, but not like... great. I took a couple of anth classes in college and it was some pretty depressing reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is one of the few tweets to approach the awfulness of ”I'm really not sad about a 2yo being eaten by a gator”.