Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Lord Koth posted:

I remain mildly surprised that Classroom of the Elite seems to be consistently trending fairly well overall (mid to low top 10). I don't have any issues with the show, I just don't see it particularly talked about anywhere. Not sure if it's just something to do with how the trending sites collect data, or if it's a show that a fair number of people are watching but just not talking about.

I dropped the first season after one episode that was pretty much entirely fan service of the teenage girl characters. It just felt gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

For non-elite but actually clever high school mc animes, I stick with the SNaFUs and Rascals

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Julias posted:

https://x.com/animetv_jp/status/1760039336010039507?s=20

That's nice for the "rascal does not dream of" fans

... everyone?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I know that there's a lot of bad localized titles here in the English Anime Zone in 2024, but man, that rascal poo poo sounds almost machine translated

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

I know that there's a lot of bad localized titles here in the English Anime Zone in 2024, but man, that rascal poo poo sounds almost machine translated

It makes sense to me in that it's "Rascal Does Not Dream of (story arc name)". Plenty worse out there and easy to call it Rascal for short.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah it's better than some light novel titles out there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

It makes sense to me in that it's "Rascal Does Not Dream of (story arc name)". Plenty worse out there and easy to call it Rascal for short.

C'mon, Rascal Does Not Dream of Dreaming Girl is just hilariously bad localisation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its not really the localizers fault, 9 out of 10 odds someone on the jp side (original author, rights holders, whoever) said they had to stick to that title

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Darth Walrus posted:

C'mon, Rascal Does Not Dream of Dreaming Girl is just hilariously bad localisation.

the saga of tanya the evil (little girl war diaries is the literal translation)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

I approve the use of the rarely used term, rascal

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spookydonut posted:

the saga of tanya the evil (little girl war diaries is the literal translation)

I appreciate that it has "evil" in the title to keep people from missing the point (which doesn't stop some people from missing the point anyway...).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
youjou senki is one of those titles that doesn't really translate over literally very well

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Saga of Tanya the Evil is a cooler title anyway :colbert:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Deus lo vult

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Let's Go Play!" turned into "Cat Planet Cuties" which is definitely a more descriptive title, and it has the bonus of it makes me hear Raocow saying "Cat Planet" in my brain every time I see it

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My favorite bad license title is Science Fell In Love, So I Tried To Prove It, which is the most machine translated thing, because you can see the translators giving up from all the episode titles, which are templated from the title, being based on the corrected version ("Science-types fell in love, so they tried ______").

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like all the anime that keep 'bitch' in the title

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

"Let's Go Play!" turned into "Cat Planet Cuties" which is definitely a more descriptive title, and it has the bonus of it makes me hear Raocow saying "Cat Planet" in my brain every time I see it

The existence of something called "Cat Planet Cuties" makes it very hard for me to remember the actual name of Kawaisugi Crisis.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
But the crisis was too cute

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

i like all the anime that keep 'bitch' in the title

How often does that come up?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Clarste posted:

How often does that come up?

The one that always sticks out in my mind after seeing it at a bookstore was "After-School Bitchcraft" (Houkago Bitchcraft)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

That one gets clunky for sure but I'm fine with most of the titles for the series.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Julias posted:

The one that always sticks out in my mind after seeing it at a bookstore was "After-School Bitchcraft" (Houkago Bitchcraft)

This is at least a normal pun, unlike My Girlfriend is Shobitch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The pun works, but the meaning may not be intact because "bitch" in Japanese means something very different from "bitch" in English.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Bitch as a loanword means "slut" or "slutty". You can just say it

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Julias posted:

Bitch as a loanword means "slut" or "slutty". You can just say it

It doesn’t even mean slut; it’s fine enough to say on tv and the like. In terms of severity and unacceptable ness of use “bitch” is probably closer to “easy”. rear end class had bitch sensei and they weren’t really making a statement about her other than she was generally attractive and seductive like you’d expect a spy to be.

It sounded a lot worse in English though, but also different since bitch doesn’t carry the some connotations here so when they’re calling her bitch-sensei constantly but she’s acting shy or embarrassed about the name instead of angry it just is kind of nonsensical.

At the same time though what do you do? It’s kind of the Jojo problem, you could change her name to easy sensei or seduction senesei or femme fatale sensei but everyone’s gonna hear the characters saying bitch the same way we can clearly hear Crazy diamond being said.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 21, 2024

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the return of translator notes in anime subs

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Bitchigiri!!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The people working on Moon-led Fantasy didn't learn their lesson from the last season. They skipped and reordered a bunch of stuff so it is now both ahead of and behind the current manga translations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ninjewtsu posted:

the return of translator notes in anime subs

I’ve always greatly preferred this to localization anyway

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Meme Emulator posted:

I’ve always greatly preferred this to localization anyway

Gross

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

If the last couple of pages of a manga release isn’t translation notes they’re loving up

It’s only polite to inform us of all the difficult or hard to translate parts and explain the strategy to the reader

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The light novel Dahlia in Bloom has a translator notes section after the afterword going over the choices made. It's nice, more books should do that.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I also prefer notes, though I hate it with the fire of a thousand suns when they are overused

Translator's Note: onigiri is a rice ball filled with

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Isn't it a jelly donut

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Theoretically you could fill an onigiri with jelly.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Do they not

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Yawgmoft posted:

I also prefer notes, though I hate it with the fire of a thousand suns when they are overused

Translator's Note: onigiri is a rice ball filled with

If they’re in an appendix and not covering anything up I don’t even mind if they’re overused

E: TCB scans translations of JJK during the comedian chapters is probably what every translator should strive for when trying to balance explaining cultural minutia and keeping the story moving.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

A couple of the gags in the latest Level 99 Villianess got a solid laugh out of me. They're doing a great job with the adaptation, especially considering that they clearly don't have a huge budget.

Specifically what got me was Eleanora's sparkle bouncing off Yumiella's head with a cartoony "tink" sound, and the well-timed title drop giving poor Patrick the final twist of the knife.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 21, 2024