Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I still think that thing is AI art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Glass is a traditional material though.

Steel is extremely traditional and common material for pipes.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Can’t believe y’all have pipes made out of exotics like that, my pipes are all made of common materials like still-living human bone and sinew

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

LonsomeSon posted:

Can’t believe y’all have pipes made out of exotics like that, my pipes are all made of common materials like still-living human bone and sinew

PO: "We have such sights to show you."

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Where we're going, we won't need permits

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
"You have an eternity to know our mess."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

I read a book awhile back that was an introduction to materials science and how buildings work to not fall down. At one point it had a table listing the strengths of various materials in tension, and sinew was, by a wide margin, the strongest material we have access to. It just doesn't last very long, because nature knows how to eat it. But IIRC the book made a point that large bundles of sinew were used for siege equipment in the Roman era, probably for ballistae.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I read a book awhile back that was an introduction to materials science and how buildings work to not fall down. At one point it had a table listing the strengths of various materials in tension, and sinew was, by a wide margin, the strongest material we have access to. It just doesn't last very long, because nature knows how to eat it. But IIRC the book made a point that large bundles of sinew were used for siege equipment in the Roman era, probably for ballistae.

Yeah I think the key for my plumbing has been that the tissues are still alive, so they actively fight off nature and heal themselves when injured.

Are the silent whispers and flesh dreams worth it? The repairing, the fact that the water heater runs on small game and not electricity or gas? A few years ago, even, I might have said no.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Can't beat them for freeze-proofness tho

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Eldritch plumbing

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I saw this abomination at an open house yesterday. They want top dollar for the house and its overall quality is pretty fairly conveyed in this one image.

It's also worth noting that while this looks to be on an exterior, it's because it's a porch that was fully enclosed, so this is inside the houses envelope.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lol that pile of styrofoam

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

tetrapyloctomy posted:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
It just gets worse the longer you look at it.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Can anyone in the know comment on how dangerous the gas line is there? It looks like one trip and your entire laundry(?) space is filling with flammable gas?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I'm the laundry standpipe that will overflow onto both 110 and 220 volt outlets.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SpartanIvy posted:

it's because it's a porch that was fully enclosed, so this is inside the houses envelope.
I mean, is it though??

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
100% the stackable washer/dryer to the right were covering that.

It's a well-known maxim that if you can't see it then nothing breaks.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I wonder where that dryer vent eventually runs to, assuming that thing covered in great stuff is the dryer vent. Having it vent downward is also an interesting choice.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Does turning your outdoor patio into an addition ever work out?

We passed on a place like that specifically because we were worried about whether adding it to the envelope was even possible to do properly and because we figured it would cost a fortune to heat it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

the dryer vents inside the walls so you can use the lint as insulation

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Bird in a Blender posted:

I wonder where that dryer vent eventually runs to, assuming that thing covered in great stuff is the dryer vent. Having it vent downward is also an interesting choice.

Directly beneath the porch, there is a 0% chance it goes anywhere else. Thing will probably fill up with dead rodents and snakes that crawl in to get warm too

kaom posted:

Does turning your outdoor patio into an addition ever work out?

We passed on a place like that specifically because we were worried about whether adding it to the envelope was even possible to do properly and because we figured it would cost a fortune to heat it.

It's impossible to keep it dry when it's raining or warm in the winter, you don't get sunlight or breezes, can't set up a bbq in it... Seems like the best of neither world

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My grandmother did the hybrid of building an insulated box on the patio where one wall is the outside wall of her living room, but didn't compromise the house - you have to go out through the patio door and then into the addition. They use it a lot - it's fine in summer, and with an IR heater it's surprisingly fine to have lunch in in the winter.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

HolHorsejob posted:

Directly beneath the porch, there is a 0% chance it goes anywhere else. Thing will probably fill up with dead rodents and snakes that crawl in to get warm too
Ding ding ding. That entire porch was a giant concrete slab, and the house is on pier and beam. There was no exterior dryer vent on the house and it had obvious pest/rodent issues the owners were trying to deal with. I bet the crawl space is filled with lint and pests living in it. There was spray foam everywhere, bags of steel wool shoved into every crawl space vent (rendering them useless in the process), and mouse traps all over the attic.

Bonus points is that we couldn't find a crawl space access, and I believe they floored over it during one of their other "improvements"

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 20, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SpartanIvy posted:

I saw this abomination at an open house yesterday. They want top dollar for the house and its overall quality is pretty fairly conveyed in this one image.

It's also worth noting that while this looks to be on an exterior, it's because it's a porch that was fully enclosed, so this is inside the houses envelope.

I'm the incredibly-corroded receptacle ignition source that will be of great interest to the Fire Marshal within a year

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm the incredibly-corroded receptacle ignition source that will be of great interest to the Fire Marshal within a year

It doesn't look too bad, and the other one is fine I don't know what you're...

Oh, the other other one.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't see a single support for any of this plumbing. Random swastikas of miscellaneous pipes, joined by shark bites, less than a third of it actually insulated. But also notice the cheapest tankless water heater money could buy, it's missing flush/clean connections and is going to drop heated water pressure from year to year like clockwork. Then the air admittance valve, was clearly added after the washing machine drain kept overflowing. How far away from the main house plumbing you have to be in order for this to become a problem? Code says 8' from a vent, but I've seen this work just fine at twice that distance. There is a good chance it just drains into the crawl space

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Don't worry, CPVC is well known for its physical strength.

Love the short stubs of PEX used as flexible links to avoid having to properly align anything.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

The bathroom with the regular door and the URGENT BUSINESS door seems quite sensible to me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

SpartanIvy posted:

And the washer/dryer next to that festival of bad ideas. Hope that washer is balanced, because if it starts walking.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Nitrox posted:

Crappy Construction: Random swastikas of miscellaneous pipes

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Put the hot tub right there and try to get a tax credit for installing a heat pump.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

What the gently caress... You're gonna go all out like that and not even touch the front? And... Fry's? Not Julius or Maximus Bargain?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SpartanIvy posted:

shoeberto posted:

Can anyone in the know comment on how dangerous the gas line is there? It looks like one trip and your entire laundry(?) space is filling with flammable gas?

That much flex line is very much not legal in TX. They had to add more hard line when I had the water heater replaced to bring it up to code (from being installed last in the mid-'70s. Respect to that water heater for hanging on that long.)

I also love the unreasonably long stub on the gas line jutting out from the T.

edit: the Fry's in Dallas was cow/ranch themed. I forget what the Arlington, TX store was.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Darchangel posted:

That much flex line is very much not legal in TX. They had to add more hard line when I had the water heater replaced to bring it up to code (from being installed last in the mid-'70s. Respect to that water heater for hanging on that long.)

I also love the unreasonably long stub on the gas line jutting out from the T.

edit: the Fry's in Dallas was cow/ranch themed. I forget what the Arlington, TX store was.

The Arlington, TX location was "Warehouse" themed. I wish that was a joke.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Elfface posted:

What the gently caress... You're gonna go all out like that and not even touch the front? And... Fry's? Not Julius or Maximus Bargain?

My local Fry's was space/tech themed, sometimes we went to the Aztec or Egyptian one.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I usually went to the Egyptian Fry's. I think it's an indoor pickleball court now.

Friends who used to work at Fry's told me if you were under performing you got sent to the Palo Alto store in hopes that you would just quit so they didn't have to deal with firing you. If you survived Palo Alto, you got sent to an un-airconditioned warehouse numbered store 86..

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Well, that's new.

So they just framed over grass and dirt, ran the plumbing and then poured concrete?