Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

trevorreznik posted:

They're going to play at every field possible except Soldier, aren't they? Wrigley, Lambeau, wherever the fire play, Evanston high school?

Chicago Fire FC play at Soldier Field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The barnstorming Wildcats.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s a shame that there’s not some city that Northwestern is the real Big Ten team of that has a professional football stadium they could use

As a rule College Football teams playing games in NFL stadiums suck. No matter where it's located.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Like 15 years ago, Indiana "hosted" Penn State at FedEx Field. It was a more a Penn State home game by any possible interpretation beyond who wore the color jersey.

NJM
Jan 3, 2020

To be fair, Wisconsin fans would probably outnumber Northwestern fans even in Evanston. So why not get a bit of cash for playing in Green Bay?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/sickoscommittee/status/1759790042266882432?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

puttin on my finest tablecloth for the third saturday in october

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This is a hate crime

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Just lean all the way in and wear a houndstooth jersey.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sash! posted:

Like 15 years ago, Indiana "hosted" Penn State at FedEx Field. It was a more a Penn State home game by any possible interpretation beyond who wore the color jersey.

in the early days of FSU in the ACC, they played "neutral" games against Duke in Jacksonville

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

whos that broooown posted:

Was it the 2016 game?

I think so? I'm pretty sure the spot sealed the win for OSU that day.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1759975809169723730?s=46

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Vols keep winning

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

This is a very nice perk to keep the Big 12, ACC, and American together.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

When did Bama trade school colors with Carnegie-Mellon?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Hed posted:

This is a very nice perk to keep the Big 12, ACC, and American together.

It’s nice if you’re a fan of a team in one of those conferences, but nobody with power actually cares about the playoff when it comes to conference alignment decisions

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

This is killing

Bama deserves it

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/status/1759998228311753045?t=hi-YMq1XodN3DYMjUbOdnQ&s=19

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

this is just a diff of one game, right? that ND would otherwise not play anyway bc they're not in a conference to have a championship to play for?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Good.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
in other words even if they're ranked #1, they still..have the equivalent conference champioonship game that they otherwise avoided.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm in favor of continued ND independence, and they should absolutely have access to the playoff, but being ineligible for first round bye seems plenty fair. We'll have plenty of other teams finish in the top 4 as runners up and have to play in the opening round as well.

But here's another question- is the lowest ranked conference champ guaranteed the 5 seed?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 21, 2024

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The problem with the new 5 + 7 format is two G5s like Tulane and Boise could go undefeated (with Tulane beating KState and OU, and Boise beating Oregon, Oregon State, and Washington State) and only 1 would make the playoff.

In theory they could both make it if they were both ranked well enough, but that basically can’t happen unless one of the teams won a big bowl the prior season.

It is a shame they didn’t let in at least two G5 champs on auto bid but guess we gotta see 3 third place teams instead.

Before anyone makes a dumb comment about G5s not being good anyway, I’d like to point out the Big 12 runner up was destroyed at home by the 7th best Sun Belt team this past season. The season before that, the Big 12 champ lost at home to the AAC champ.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 21, 2024

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

General Dog posted:

But here's another question- is the lowest ranked conference champ guaranteed the 5 seed?

No, because if they were, then the best ND could do would be the 6 seed.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This is too complicated, let's keep it simple and ban ND from the playoffs outright.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mega64 posted:

This is too complicated, let's keep it simple and ban ND from the playoffs outright.

If we ban Notre Dame from the playoffs, how will we see them get blown out in the playoffs?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Edward Mass posted:

If we ban Notre Dame from the playoffs, how will we see them get blown out in the playoffs?

JAMARCUS, LAUGHING, SPREADS WINGSSSSS OHHHLORDYEAH

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Spacebump posted:

Before anyone makes a dumb comment about G5s not being good anyway, I’d like to point out the Big 12 runner up was destroyed at home by the 7th best Sun Belt team this past season. The season before that, the Big 12 champ lost at home to the AAC champ.

This is just an argument that the Big 12 is bad too.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Mega64 posted:

This is the kind of common sense legislation we need in CFB

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

When did Bama trade school colors with Carnegie-Mellon?

Nah, Edinboro State.

Eons and eons ago, some website had covers of media guides uploaded. I kept this one.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

mcmagic posted:

As a rule College Football teams playing games in NFL stadiums suck. No matter where it's located.

The Superdome was an awesome place to watch my team not win a football game

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Thermos H Christ posted:

What's that like?
If we never enter that building again it will be too soon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

It was an awesome place to watch us beat Georgia after Bevo sent Uga running

drewhead posted:

What's that like?
If we never enter that building again it will be too soon.

It's like a mid-tier stadium that the ownership will say is a crumbling ruin until the city ponies up to build something new.

The biggest benefit though is that it's a nice walk from the French Quarter.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmao

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
good, gently caress notre dame

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
for this to be anything other than a thought experiment Notre Dame will have to finish a season ranked #4 or higher

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

for this to be anything other than a thought experiment Notre Dame will have to finish a season ranked #4 or higher

That pretty reliably happens every 8 years or so

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

lol at the idea of the new playoff format lasting 8 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

General Dog posted:

That pretty reliably happens every 8 years or so

I think the brave new world of CFB magnifies ND's disadvantages, but we'll see.

The last time they finished in the top 4 was 12 years ago and it'll certainly be 13 by this time next year.