Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cognac McCarthy posted:

If you join on someone to bypass the queue, can you then leave the game and go back to your own ship?

You can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
I don't know, I think now that everyone knows about it it stopped working. I haven't gotten it to work at all tonight, and I was doing it yesterday no problem.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

CainFortea posted:

There are 10 other channels besides the three general chat channels all about specific content. Like lore or talking about the different weapons in the armory and so on

Ah they added it and hid it at the bottom of the roles.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 21, 2024

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

dog nougat posted:

Post your ship names y'all!

Started with SES Princess of Supremacy, but finally settled on the much more entertaining SES Fist of Mercy

SES Comptroller of Wrath.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

What the gently caress is 10003001!!!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

triple sulk posted:

What the gently caress is 10003001!!!

i means boobies

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wings of Redemption is up there for ship names I’ve seen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

If you join on someone to bypass the queue, can you then leave the game and go back to your own ship?

Yup. When the servers were totally borked I would just join someone via the PS menu even if I wasn't planning on playing with them and it would put me back on my ship when I exited the round.

Don't even start the game normally just find someone to join. Not sure if that works on PC though.

Surprised people are still stuck. Didn't have any problems today myself. Felt like it was working as good as it was at launch.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Why the hell haven't they just hard capped it to like 100k people tops and slowly work up from there rather than whatever is going on right now?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Honestly not even showing even a wildly inaccurate queue number and estimate is horrific UX. Literally anything to make it seem like things are moving at all would be an upgrade.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

triple sulk posted:

Why the hell haven't they just hard capped it to like 100k people tops and slowly work up from there rather than whatever is going on right now?

They did that, the max is ~480k

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey so looks like there is this weird trick people have been discovering in the game, if you hold alt and press F4...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Legit Businessman posted:

SES Comptroller of Wrath.

Beacon of Audacity

I finally got in

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Infidelicious posted:

They did that, the max is ~480k

That's way too many

I think I randomly got in but it said it couldn't find the lobby or something so it prob doesn't work. We'll see

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Ugh I was playing for a bit but then my game crashed while ending a mission. We extracted with literal seconds left under a pile of bugs. I guess it was just too cool.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

That's way too many

I think I randomly got in but it said it couldn't find the lobby or something so it prob doesn't work. We'll see

The game itself is mostly working under the load. I think the limit is where they expect things to start breaking down, not really where it just totally stops.

Also I'm convinced that the steam trick getting traction is gonna kill the servers lol. More players tonight than yesterday.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Got in twice, got stuck at broken loading screens twice, have been in queue for 90 minutes. Glad I have a second monitor and other things to do.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lol it's the worst the servers have been yet

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Quickplay isn't working. Game still sucks rear end and is broken

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
What's weird is I've never used quickplay, but I was seeing players on the planet map and just joining games that way. I didn't see that option at all yesterday.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can't wait to play this locked in GOTY at 8pm dingo baby time and have a smooth experience

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I just played for about 90 minutes and it worked great the whole time, other than it was hard to join games (because they fill up so quickly).

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
game broken

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
I haven't been able to play at all. I'm trying not to be bitter about it...

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I mean I'll defend them a lot but it is rather incompetent to be this bad at guessing how many people will play the game

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
"our last game had a peak playercount of 13k, we should prepare for a million concurrent players" was probably jokingly suggested once.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Market research exists

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I mean I'll defend them a lot but it is rather incompetent to be this bad at guessing how many people will play the game

I'm assuming pre-orders and wishlists weren't strong enough to warrant a huge initial spend on servers (which was quickly fixed with all that beautiful money they ran headlong into) and a larger contingent of engineers.

Maybe it was a mistake shooting for a single enormous instance like the first game, but tbh I'm glad they have and I hope they can muscle up and deliver on that cool promise. I'm sure the player pop will halve in three months and be smooth sailing from there. I intend to stick with the game rn. It's just so much fun.

E: also dreams and market research don't magically manifest more money to spend before you press go. They're an outfit of 100 people. I'm cutting them all the slack.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I need some people to stop doing their part.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I just played for about 90 minutes and it worked great the whole time, other than it was hard to join games (because they fill up so quickly).

Yeah, I managed to get something like 2 hours of play in and it worked really well until I crashed, which wouldn't have been an issue if not for the login log jam.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah their main sin is guessing wrong, but according to steam this is 100x the all time peak of their first game, which seems wild. It seems reasonable to assume you won't be a top 5 game on steam.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Boy I hear this game is great. Can't wait to play it one day!

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

JBP posted:

I'm assuming pre-orders and wishlists weren't strong enough to warrant a huge initial spend on servers (which was quickly fixed with all that beautiful money they ran headlong into) and a larger contingent of engineers.

I'd believe this, I only heard the game hyped a couple days after it came out, not before or at release.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
How is the queue right now? Any estimate on the wait time?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
SES Father of War reporting in, we've got weapons-grade Dad Jokes and a 24/7 direct uplink feed to Super-Redbox ready to deploy on demand.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

WoodrowSkillson posted:

(emphasis mine)

I worked in live service videogames for over a decade. Some seriously smart analysts with cutting-edge tools made good estimates time after time, and they were frequently wrong. They weren't incompetent; it's an imprecise field with a high percentage of error

Even if anyone expected the game to be this popular, the industry is obscenely risk-averse right now. Securing in advance Fortnite levels of server capacity on the strength of a decent-but-not-exceptional prior entry is, like, I'd expect to be laughed out of the room for that

I do think the player experience needs to be better. I do think studios should be able to easily (and affordably) scale up capacity, especially without signing away their future selves for in-house maintenance and/or the trap of AWS. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking a cautious estimate was a competence issue here. It's lightning in a bottle, and no one can't really predict that

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KingKapalone posted:

How is the queue right now? Any estimate on the wait time?

There is no queue it's just random chance that you get in, more like a lottery, apparently. I got in after waiting for about a half hour just now but I think it's different for everyone. which is dumb.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SES Pride of Iron because i'm a horus heresy nerd and wanted to rep my favourite legion

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This is the first time I'm doubting Steamchart numbers because playercounts going up while the servers remain as volatile as ever seems wildly incompatible. Surely everyone eventually fuckin gives up sitting in queue or black screen or whatever situation

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Horsebanger posted:

I'd believe this, I only heard the game hyped a couple days after it came out, not before or at release.

I liked Helldivers and I'm a chronic pre-ordering idiot. I didn't pre-order or wishlist Helldivers 2 because it was going from a (wonderful) twin stick shooter to a 3p action game with not a lot of hands on evidence that it was going to be good.

I bought the game the day it came out after seeing reactions and watching some footage of it, like many others, and I've been slowly roping in all of my steam friends. I reckon I've sold five copies of this game at least. So yeah, sucked in Arrowhead you idiots. Didn't see me coming to clog up your niche AA release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Market research exists

You should google the story of Netflix buying Rent DVDs.