Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

This is the first time I'm doubting Steamchart numbers because playercounts going up while the servers remain as volatile as ever seems wildly incompatible. Surely everyone eventually fuckin gives up sitting in queue or black screen or whatever situation

Id argue that the patch made a lot of people try again who might've given up previously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Internet Explorer posted:

Hope this helps your confusion.

Yes I'm aware it still went well beyond that thanks so much for this

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You're welcome. Glad we could clear that up.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Kazinsal posted:

Man Palworld fell off exactly as hard as I expected to.

I don't know how anyone could expect differently from an early access game that does not offer a replayable gameplay loop.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yes I'm aware it still went well beyond that thanks so much for this
It didn't just go well beyond that-they did plan for it to get way more players than HD1, and then it not only did that, it stumbled across explosive viral success that is virtually unheard of.

Like, Deep Rock Galactic is a very successful 3d indie coop FPS. Way more than most. And it had an all-time peak playercount of 46,392.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Actually I think you'll all find that the four backend engineers at this small Swedish business are lazy.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im a railgun fan now def. Its delightful

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

^ ^ ^ The Railgun is probably best in slot for the support weapon at this point. I'm not sure that it scales to be the best if everyone is carrying it, but I do think that 2 players carrying them is very effective. ^ ^ ^

blastron posted:

SES Princess of Twilight. (Formerly the Comptroller of Wrath.)

Twinsies! (formerly)

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 21, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WoodrowSkillson posted:

this is insane, HD1 was a top down twin stick shooter, not a major release squad shooter, they never should have expected it to only barely exceed HD1

I mean HD2 is not a "major release" squad shooter either. Like you said, It's a $40 sequel to a top down stick shooter. Nobody, even the devs, knew it would be this popular.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Distributor of Democracy here

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Queen of Pride :quig:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Away all Goats posted:

I mean HD2 is not a "major release" squad shooter either. Like you said, It's a $40 sequel to a top down stick shooter. Nobody, even the devs, knew it would be this popular.

I knew but I didn't tell anybody.

:ssh:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You need 2-3 railguns to thin out the heavies, and grenade launchers to clear the mobs. Maybe can do with one auto cannon to snipe objectives from great distance.

Tip: you’re in a spore cloud but can’t see it, spin in a circle aiming slightly above and spam Q or mark target. Snipe it with shotguns from 200m away

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Legit Businessman posted:

^ ^ ^ The Railgun is probably best in slot for the support weapon at this point. I'm not sure that it scales to be the best if everyone is carrying it, but I do think that 2 players carrying them is very effective. ^ ^ ^

We had three railguns going and it was like Napoleonic war with us firing and reloading while walking forward at chargers.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

isk posted:

Yep, I'm interested in the details. Like, did they lose a lead server engineer (who doesn't document their code) halfway through development, is it an off-by-1 error that's hard to find, would things have been OK with 10x the playerbase of the 1st game (which still would've been an enormous gain), etc. Estimates only get you so far
From the numbers that we have and were told, assuming we believe the numbers the devs have put out, 150k was their "pie in the sky wouldn't it be cool if but no way we're actually reaching" number of concurrent players, and their servers could initially handle up to 250k. For reference, the first game peaked at about 6.7k on Steam, and the sales were apparently roughly 1:1 for Playstation and Steam, so let's say about 15k peak concurrent players. For sake of argument if we assume 1:1 PS5/Steam as well for Helldivers 2, we're looking at what? About 900k peak players right now? Hell even if we take Steam alone and discount PS5 players that's like 30x the amount of players compared to the first.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Maybe don't announce a patch if you broke the game more than before lol

im glad they did! saw it and started playing and it works perfectly for me! get in immediately, get a full squad before the searching timer can even pop up and 6 missions worked from start to finish in a row before i quit to eat.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

rkd_ posted:

I don't know how anyone could expect differently from an early access game that does not offer a replayable gameplay loop.

Games hemorrhage players dramatically after the initial drop, as a rule. It still has hundreds of thousands of players enjoying it. I don't know why everyone has such a hardon for hating it.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Legit Businessman posted:

is there a trick to using this? i tried it, charged it to what i think was a full charge and it didnt even break the armor on a charger leg.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kly posted:

is there a trick to using this? i tried it, charged it to what i think was a full charge and it didnt even break the armor on a charger leg.

Switch it to unsafe (hold down reload for weapon settings) and overcharge it. You can blow yourself up, but it's a long charge time. It also halts chargers, so you can fire two shots normal mode and break the leg armour then mag dump.

E: didn't realise unsafe was not more effective against legs. I usually leave it safe anyway.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Kly posted:

it takes 2 shots to break charger leg armor; overcharge doesnt matter. 2-3 overcharged shots to the head/mouth kill a titan. Dunno if there's a difference between how many overcharge vs regular charged shots to the body kills a charger but it's something like 4-5.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I waited in queue almost 3 hours before I just started stalking my friend list / the goon steam group to find someone I could just join in game. Got in within minutes, could then play normally. Makes sense to me.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Queen of Pride :quig:

Pride of Audacity here

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Wait is Pride of Pride an option?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

idiotsavant posted:

it takes 2 shots to break charger leg armor; overcharge doesnt matter. 2-3 overcharged shots to the head/mouth kill a titan. Dunno if there's a difference between how many overcharge vs regular charged shots to the body kills a charger but it's something like 4-5.

Sometimes you get them in the throat or eye and they instantly die too. I’m so happy when I one hit those things because there are 2-3 more titans spawning on top of 4-5 chargers and 5+ brood commanders and 3+ stalkers, and 10+ bile spewers because your team didn’t manage engagements correctly :suicide:

This game feels like your the main character in an action movie, it’s intense

SES Executor of Democracy checking in

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Sword of Mercy for my ship.

Kind of boring, but I'm a Halo nerd and it's a ship name in it and the "hidden meaning" behind Cortana's name

The ships just reminded me too much of Halo ships, aesthetically.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

wilderthanmild posted:

Wait is Pride of Pride an option?

it is!

SES Prophet of Science here :patriot:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
SES Courier of Conviviality here

Also game was more stable for me today but sad to once again see the servers maxed out.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
SES Octagon of Morality joining the fleet

Also yeah server access seems totally random. But I can reliabily get in inside a 30 minute wait but also I can see multiple people on my steam right now with the game on and idle so, that's an issue too.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SES Spear of Destiny, because I'm lazy and cliche

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Janissary Hop posted:

I waited in queue almost 3 hours before I just started stalking my friend list / the goon steam group to find someone I could just join in game. Got in within minutes, could then play normally. Makes sense to me.

I waited two hours and then gave up. I guess I should try a different method.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Harbinger of Iron :black101:

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

I waited two hours and then gave up. I guess I should try a different method.

It never fails when I select someone and press join in game. Most of the time it just dumps me into my ship, only twice have I landed into an actual game and awkwardly excused myself.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Sat at the loading screen for almost an hour until I won the login lottery. Two friends were able to immediately join directly via Steam and we played a solid three hours with no issues. Never touched matchmaking, but overall the game seems pretty stable now once you get in and don't use quickplay.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

https://x.com/Pilestedt/status/1760077808146014340?s=20
https://x.com/Pilestedt/status/1760082636205175136?s=20

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sony: "Helldivers 2 is blowing up, deploy the corporate quick reaction force! No, not the copyright enforcement squad, the server admins. Yeah they can still bring guns if they really want to"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Are we arranging anything like a Discord where any lucky skunk who gets in can conga line buddies in?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

This might be a dumb question but on pc once you’ve held down r to tune how do you actually change poo poo? Scrolling down changes the vertical options but I can’t figure out how to change anything horizontal.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

This might be a dumb question but on pc once you’ve held down r to tune how do you actually change poo poo? Scrolling down changes the vertical options but I can’t figure out how to change anything horizontal.

LMB and/or RMB, IIRC.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Enabling cross play fixed my matchmaking problems on ps5 fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

scroll up for up options, scroll down for down options, and right mouse for right option iirc? something like that