Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

wsdotblog.blogspot.com posted:

Drivers should treat these lights just like any other traffic signal. Yellow means prepare to stop, red means stop.
Is that actually the rule in America or, like here, just what people think the rule is? How does one "prepare to stop"? What would that even mean? Yellow means "stop", red means "wait".

VicRoads posted:

If you are facing a traffic light that is:
  • red, you must stop and don't go into the intersection
  • yellow, you must stop unless you can't stop safely
  • green, you can go through the intersection if there is room for your vehicle on the other side. You are not allowed to block the intersection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0966692324000267

cars bad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1760202937752793331?t=I7pS1uk9hHeOI9Gj0Rodrw&s=19

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
bicycle exercise is about consistency and an electric bike can assist pedaling so u can stay at the same output same heartrate
bikes w/ gears can help the same way

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Study after study have shown that people who ride e-bikes get more exercise than those who ride pedal bikes.

Follow the links in that paragraph for laughs.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Complete surprise! People who actually use their bikes get more exercise!

Ebikes are actually pretty good in that regard. More people using bikes is good, even if they need a push.

Also I again passed several ebikes on my commute today. They're okay

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
e-bikes enable you to go further away than a regular bike, which makes people not be afraid of being too tired to return back, and slowly people end up going further and further away.

as you start to get used to it, you start going faster than the max electric assist (for base ebikes) and the motor is only used to get up to speed, hills or when someone is tired.

think of a bike as a hybrid vehicle, human power being the efficient one and the electric one that it falls back to. I often use my ebike as a regular bike with the assist off and just change gears, if you were used to riding heavy non e-bikes its the same.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Celexi posted:

e-bikes enable you to go further away than a regular bike, which makes people not be afraid of being too tired to return back, and slowly people end up going further and further away.

as you start to get used to it, you start going faster than the max electric assist (for base ebikes) and the motor is only used to get up to speed, hills or when someone is tired.

think of a bike as a hybrid vehicle, human power being the efficient one and the electric one that it falls back to. I often use my ebike as a regular bike with the assist off and just change gears, if you were used to riding heavy non e-bikes its the same.

If you are even moderately trained you can ride beyond any battery range on a regular bike. The notion that e-bike enable you to go farther while common is pretty strange.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tiggum posted:

Is that actually the rule in America or, like here, just what people think the rule is? How does one "prepare to stop"? What would that even mean? Yellow means "stop", red means "wait".

[url=https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/a-to-z-of-road-rules/traffic-controls-at-intersections]

My guess is "prepare to stop" means have your foot hovering over the brake (maybe even touching it gently to get your brake lights on)

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Junkozeyne posted:

If you are even moderately trained you can ride beyond any battery range on a regular bike. The notion that e-bike enable you to go farther while common is pretty strange.

the "range" of an ebike is the range using full assist, which no one is going to use, like the even smaller throttle range, and unless you are a machine you will get tired so yes an e-bike will still get you further away

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Celexi posted:

the "range" of an ebike is the range using full assist, which no one is going to use, like the even smaller throttle range, and unless you are a machine you will get tired so yes an e-bike will still get you further away

I looked at some eco-range claims and I didn't even talk about bike packing tours where you don't always have loading access. E-bikes absolutely have benefits, especially if they get people out of cars, but range is not one of them.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Junkozeyne posted:

I looked at some eco-range claims and I didn't even talk about bike packing tours where you don't always have loading access. E-bikes absolutely have benefits, especially if they get people out of cars, but range is not one of them.

lol are you really comparing how far road cyclists go compared to normal people? and again unless you are a machine, you can't cycle forever and ever 24/7 without dying lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

e-bikes are for casuals

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

e-bikes are for casuals

Casual bikers are loving great. The difference between commuting 10km on a regular bike and an ebike is not that you can't do both, it's that it's exhausting to do without the assist every day. Adding assistance makes going 10km every day more of an option for a lot of people, which is really good when they would otherwise take the car.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

• 1 in 34 deaths are caused by cars and automobility with 1,670,000 deaths per year.
  • Cars and automobility have killed 60–80 million people since their invention.
  • Car harm will continue unless policies change; example interventions are discussed.

Mild & endemic

Who’s going to start the petition to move the thread to CCCC?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BonHair posted:

The difference between commuting 10km on a regular bike and an ebike is not that you can't do both, it's that it's exhausting to do without the assist every day.
It's not exhausting to ride 10km every day, unless you're trying to go from no riding ever straight to that. Once you get used to it that's trivial.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Tiggum posted:

It's not exhausting to ride 10km every day, unless you're trying to go from no riding ever straight to that. Once you get used to it that's trivial.

Yeah, that's the entire loving point of the conversation, e bikes make riding far more accessible to every day people that own zero lycra

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

FirstnameLastname posted:

bicycle exercise is about consistency and an electric bike can assist pedaling so u can stay at the same output same heartrate
bikes w/ gears can help the same way

Single speeds are carbrained as hell

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Groda posted:

Single speeds are carbrained as hell

fixed gears ftw

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It's lowering the bar on "can I be arsed taking the bike today". Also there's a huge difference between riding a bike for fun, where 10km is nothing and riding a bike to work where 10km is kinda long.

Also there's a sweat issue.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Junkozeyne posted:

I use my ebike's motor if I need to ride in traffic or climb a big hill. Otherwise I usually keep it off unless I'm exhausted on the return trip.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
If your bike goes too slowly, the solution is to simply become stronger, not strip mine the global south for scraps of lithium.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

If your bike goes too slowly, the solution is to simply become stronger, not strip mine the global south for scraps of lithium.

how tf am i gonna go to the global south to strip mine it for lithium if i'm not strong enough to bike up a hill?? dumbass

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the last two weeks I've been doing ten laps through a local park that's got a 0.8% grade on the uphill

I was feeling like I could do better so this week I've been taking a different route that's a 2.7% grade followed by another 2%. I can do the route reliably now with no stops in between the two hills

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

bikes, just like cars, are bad.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tiggum posted:

Getting over the hump of getting used to it isnt trivial for many people though and thats the point you're missing.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

that's right, western individualism has poisoned too many brains

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've seen a massive uptick in micromobility since ebikes and escooters became affordable. Several years ago I might have been the only person on the road some days (outside of a car), and now I'm sharing the road with all sorts of contraptions, like tiny folding ebikes, big chunky ebikes, scooters, onewheels. You could not get all of those people on regular bikes here.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Cars on the sidewalk are worse, but bikes on the sidewalk are way more common

Keep your contraptions in the road bike dorks

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We've hit recursive automobile crashes now. ambulances are picking up crash victims and crashing themselves on the way to the hospital, necessitating their own ambulances

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/least-1-injured-ambulance-crash-citys-lincoln-lemington-neighborhood/J6RWHTO635GTDC3W424UNMA7AU/

quote:

PITTSBURGH — At least one person was taken to a local hospital after an ambulance crash in a Pittsburgh neighborhood early Wednesday morning.

The crash happened around 4:30 a.m. on Freeport Road near Walnut Grill.

A Lower Kiski ambulance, out of Armstrong County, was taking a woman to nearby St. Margaret Hospital when it crossed the centerline and struck a guardrail, according to a Pittsburgh Public Safety report.

A female medic in the rear of the vehicle was not wearing a seatbelt and sustained head injuries, facial trauma and was initially unresponsive. She was taken to a local hospital by Pittsburgh EMS in critical condition, according to the report.

The patient and the male driver were not injured in the crash.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
People are really insecure about ebiking not being as good exercise as regular biking huh

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

leftist heap posted:

People are really insecure about ebiking not being as good exercise as regular biking huh

they heard stav get made fun of for this and can't bring themselves to admit they don't have to take everything on a comedy podcast 100% seriously

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

leftist heap posted:

I mean it seems pretty straightforward? On an individual level, spending 30 minutes on a pedal only bike compared to half an hour on an assisted e-bike is better exercise. But on a population level where the average person just plain bikes more on an e-bike (or even bikes in the first place) that is better exercise.

But more importantly anything that takes a car off the road even for a while is a net positive to everyone.

E: as far as the mining for batteries, a typical electric car has a battery that’s 50-100 times the size of an e-bike. A 98-99% reduction in materials involved is a pretty big deal.

AreWeDrunkYet has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Feb 21, 2024

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can't really apply population-level statistics to your own behavior. Here is the study that that article vaguely referenced: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S259019821930017X

And here is the part that will make everyone here feel better:

quote:

Travel-related activities of e-bikers who switched from cycling decreased by around 200 MET min/wk., while those switching from private motorized vehicle and public transport gained around 550 and 800 MET min/wk. respectively.

Therefore, this data suggests that e-bike use leads to substantial increases in physical activity in e-bikers switching from private motorized vehicle and public transport, while net losses in physical activity in e-bikers switching from cycling were much less due to increases in overall travel distance.

The article linked in that tweet did not summarize the findings well. Bad science reporting.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you use an ebike with slight assist when you would otherwise be driving, you're going to increase the amount of exercise you're doing. If you replace a normal bike with an ebike with the assist turned all the way up you're going to be doing less exercise. Obviously, statistics that show people getting more exercise with ebikes are showing people who are biking more after getting an ebike. This is incredibly obvious and not worth arguing about.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mystes posted:

If you use an ebike with slight assist when you would otherwise be driving, you're going to increase the amount of exercise you're doing. If you replace a normal bike with an ebike with the assist turned all the way up you're going to be doing less exercise. Obviously, statistics that show people getting more exercise with ebikes are showing people who are biking more after getting an ebike. This is incredibly obvious and not worth arguing about.

You’re wrong

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The number of people going from 10km in lycra to 10km on ebike is extremely limited, but the number of people going from car to ebike (in countries/cities that have the infrastructure for it) is much higher and a pretty significant gain.

It's not luxury gay space communism, but it's better than cultural fordism.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

If you replace a normal bike with an ebike with the assist turned all the way up you're going to be doing less exercise.

I wouldn't even necessarily agree with this if the assist means you go farther anyway

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Now the argument that really makes me stomp my feet is that ebikes are more energy efficient than regular bikes because batteries use less energy than our bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

what's causality precious

quote:

MONROEVILLE, Pa. — A woman died after a utility pole fell onto her car in Monroeville Tuesday evening.

Monroeville police said a one-vehicle crash happened in the 2300 block of Haymaker Road at around 7 p.m.

The driver, Kimberly Andonisio, 46, was the only person in the car. She was pronounced dead at the scene.