Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

It probably isn't enormously different from what they'd do with the stuff if they took it out of the subs, which is bury it or stick it in a big pool somewhere.

Those pools wouldn't be directly connected to the sea via a simple sluice gate in a neglected crumbling 1800's dock, nor be so close to housing.

e: 271, one more since the last snipe. Why does this keep happening to me!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

fuctifino posted:

Those pools wouldn't be directly connected to the sea via a simple sluice gate in a neglected crumbling 1800's dock, nor be so close to housing.

it would be built by the uk so this seems optimistic

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sellafield isn't directly next to housing but I think there was an article a while back suggesting that it isn't much removed from crumbling into the sea.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

e: 271, one more since the last snipe. Why does this keep happening to me!?!

I maintain that as a Work Program we should dig a channel from the coast into the Home Counties for the nuclear subs to be based.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's exactly what I used to do back in the old days of when I used to go for job interviews - had a handful of scenarios I'd worked through from various perspectives that I could call upon when asked.

Yeah, having just done "competency question" interviews today for my company, they were all literally, "how did you deal with a difficult situation", "how did you deal with change", "how did you help other people", etc.

I'm a bit of a bastard in interviews though and start doing my line manager poo poo to the candidates when they tell me their stories. So things like asking them how they were feeling or what was going through their heads when they were doing whatever it was they said they were. Kida just drilling into what makes them tick as a person. Tends to catch out anyone who's got a bullshit story because they've now got to imagine what it would really feel like to be in that situation.

I work in a fairly technical field though and i tend to downweight these kinds of questions vs being interested in and able to do the actual job someone's interviewing for. You can be the nicest, most helpful person in the world but if you've never heard of excel or don't like numbers then you're not of any use to me.

Certainly don't come across like a massive poo poo, but most places want folk who can do the day-to-day tasks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/humzayousaf/status/1760018354914402386?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Yousaf pouncing on that Peston tweet.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Like, sure, you can argue this is a trap by the SNP. But Labour, the sensibles, the government-in-waiting, they still stumbled into it like Sideshow Bob into those rakes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Like, sure, you can argue this is a trap by the SNP. But Labour, the sensibles, the government-in-waiting, they still stumbled into it like Sideshow Bob into those rakes.

Trap? Nah, it's pure self-sabotage by an inner circle desperately trying to launder crimes against humanity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's not really a trap as much as labour are voluntarily sticking their dick in the meat grinder and furiously cranking the handle while complaining that people aren't being serious.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

fuctifino posted:

I've mentioned before about the the rusting decommissioned nuclear subs that are dumped in Devonport Naval Base in Plymouth. The issue keeps being kicked into the long grass, but the graveyard is 270m away from the nearest residential houses.

Google Map link: https://maps.app.goo.gl/9YTvnJbdvRNrZZqcA

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/hms-valiant-first-nuclear-sub-6624472

I'm sure it'll be fine to just leave them to continue to decay.... It's worked for the past 30 years :toot:

This is really depressing to me. My dad served on one of those boats, HMS Tireless (S88), while I was growing up. I even got to do a tour of it one time.

e: loving hell, I didn't realize it suffered an accident on patrol in 2007 that killed two engineers and injured a third. My dad could have been one of those if we'd emigrated later than we did :gonk:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 21, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Kin posted:

Yeah, having just done "competency question" interviews today for my company, they were all literally, "how did you deal with a difficult situation", "how did you deal with change", "how did you help other people", etc.

I'm a bit of a bastard in interviews though and start doing my line manager poo poo to the candidates when they tell me their stories. So things like asking them how they were feeling or what was going through their heads when they were doing whatever it was they said they were. Kida just drilling into what makes them tick as a person. Tends to catch out anyone who's got a bullshit story because they've now got to imagine what it would really feel like to be in that situation.

I work in a fairly technical field though and i tend to downweight these kinds of questions vs being interested in and able to do the actual job someone's interviewing for. You can be the nicest, most helpful person in the world but if you've never heard of excel or don't like numbers then you're not of any use to me.

Certainly don't come across like a massive poo poo, but most places want folk who can do the day-to-day tasks.

When I was interviewing people for analyst roles and needed people skilled in Access (we're talking 2003-7 here), HR would send across the cvs of people who had basically seen a computer in a shop window or used an Access form to input data. They just couldn't grasp what I needed because they only ever used access forms designed by someone else.

I needed someone who could import data, error trap, create queries etc, never mind forms. I personally hate forms and always go to underlying tables & queries - we have an old database at work we sometimes need to refer to for historic info. It's full of forms. The underlying tables & queries are a complete rats nest. Whoever designed it put contact names in one table, a code number in for town and another for city and then a look up query to a separate table for a list of towns and a list of cities - I mean bizarre! And also had literally hundreds of tables and queries all called things like 'old' 'oldold' 'latest' 'really latest' you get the picture. The database had been running from 2009 to 2020 and I don't think he ever deleted a single query.

So I started sending out a test to people invited for interview comprising some data in a spreadsheet and a a list of tasks: error checking, importing, error trapping again, formatting table, designing a query to do this or that. And also telling them they'd have the exact same data to do the exact same tasks on the day at the interview. Amazing how 10 interviewees whittles themselves down to 2 saving all our time.
Someone said "but what if they just learn it for the interview?" - "So what, they will have learned something useful even if they don't get the job, and they will have learned it not on my time"
(i had a vacancy gap at the time that I wasn't allowed to fill due to budgets and not being frontline operations, and just did not have time to teach people who may have BSd their way past HR into a job some fundamental stuff about Access).

I remember in a previous job, I was off sick for 3 weeks recovering from an operation, meanwhile my boss decided to recruit someone for a position in my department. He lined up interviews for when I came back and was really pushing for one guy (who woud have been a perfect sales guy - smarmy suit, BS central). The job involved calculating refunds at a time when VAT had changed numerous times in a few years. (And it was before spreadsheets & desktop computers so all hand calculated). Again, I gave him a test - he failed every single question had absolutely no clue how to calculate percentages, apply or remove VAT.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 21, 2024

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bloody Pom posted:

one of those boats, HMS Tireless

Ironic

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

forkboy84 posted:

Had the exact same thought. If Labour are so clever and led by a Forensic boy who can chair a meeting, why have they not anticipated this extremely obvious problem and figured out a solution? With most other parties you could expect them to realize something is a trap but decide to walk into it anyway and take their lumps, because it relates to a core principle that they can't jettison, but Keith doesn't have any of those.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Question IRL posted:

the STAR system

For the benefit of those of us who are in long term employment, would you mind explaining what this latest cargo cult bullshit from LinkedIn is?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

For the benefit of those of us who are in long term employment, would you mind explaining what this latest cargo cult bullshit from LinkedIn is?

quote:

Use the STAR method to plan your answers to interview questions and to show your skills and experience on a CV or application form.

situation - the situation you had to deal with
task - the task you were given to do
action - the action you took
result - what happened as a result of your action and what you learned from the experience

From the national careers service:

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/careers-advice/interview-advice/the-star-method

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

situation, task, action, result. it's exactly the same 'explain a time when X happened and you did Y to resolve it' thing they've always done but rebranded now for some reason

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

kecske posted:

situation, task, action, result. it's exactly the same 'explain a time when X happened and you did Y to resolve it' thing they've always done but rebranded now for some reason

Yeah, but now it's got a fancy name and some management consultant probably made a lot of money from it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kecske posted:

It'll be because some consultant was paid £100k to "modernise the interview process", as I expected. Thanks for the info.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bloody Pom posted:

one of those boats, HMS Tireless (S88)
Going to assume that the rest all have rubber wheels.

forkboy84 posted:

Oh, and I saw on twitter that Holocaust denier & pseudo-historian David Irving may have finally died. But I haven't seen reports anywhere else so I dunno. We can but hope
It doesn't appear to be so. Wouldn't be the first time he's just made poo poo up to get out of consequence though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

DreddyMatt posted:

Yeah, but now it's got a fancy name and some management consultant probably made a lot of money from it

Oh definitely, there is some consultant sitting in a var somewhere telling anyone who'll listen "that STAR thing that they use in most interviews. I invented that I did."

What I will say is (I found) breaking something like that into a formula makes it much easier to remember and memorise before the interview and for keeping a structure when being asked a question about it.

(IE: I remember giving the Situation in this answer. I should also give the Task before I start waffling about my Action and how amazing I am.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Going to assume that the rest all have rubber wheels.

It doesn't appear to be so. Wouldn't be the first time he's just made poo poo up to get out of consequence though.

Oh, that's a shame. Another win for Elon's dead bird site

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I spent too long talking about The Situation. I should have allowed time for describing the other colourful characters of Jersey Shore

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jedit posted:

It was invented in 1974 by William C. Byham Ph.D's company DDI.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
That STAR model has been around for years. I remember it coming up in the early 2000s (certainly in 2003 when we all had to reapply for our own jobs) if not before.

Earliest reference to it I found on google: 1999 (date on document).

https://www.soa.org/globalassets/assets/library/proceedings/record-of-the-society-of-actuaries/1990-99/1999/january/rsa99v25n390ts.pdf

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 21, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

It's actually useful though, because without the prompt I reckon the average person would just describe the "S" and the "A" parts, when really all the interviewer should care about is "T" and "R" .

So all you have to do is imagine a few scenarios and stories that either did or didn't happen or are wildly exaggerated to your benefit, write them down in a notebook using the STAR rubric to organise each one into a several-minute digestible little fable. Then when you have 5 or 6 of these, you should be able to twist almost any question to fit one of these answers.

Politics works the same way

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I was interviewing people for analyst roles and needed people skilled in Access (we're talking 2003-7 here), HR would send across the cvs of people who had basically seen a computer in a shop window or used an Access form to input data. They just couldn't grasp what I needed because they only ever used access forms designed by someone else.

I needed someone who could import data, error trap, create queries etc, never mind forms. I personally hate forms and always go to underlying tables & queries - we have an old database at work we sometimes need to refer to for historic info. It's full of forms. The underlying tables & queries are a complete rats nest. Whoever designed it put contact names in one table, a code number in for town and another for city and then a look up query to a separate table for a list of towns and a list of cities - I mean bizarre! And also had literally hundreds of tables and queries all called things like 'old' 'oldold' 'latest' 'really latest' you get the picture. The database had been running from 2009 to 2020 and I don't think he ever deleted a single query.

So I started sending out a test to people invited for interview comprising some data in a spreadsheet and a a list of tasks: error checking, importing, error trapping again, formatting table, designing a query to do this or that. And also telling them they'd have the exact same data to do the exact same tasks on the day at the interview. Amazing how 10 interviewees whittles themselves down to 2 saving all our time.
Someone said "but what if they just learn it for the interview?" - "So what, they will have learned something useful even if they don't get the job, and they will have learned it not on my time"
(i had a vacancy gap at the time that I wasn't allowed to fill due to budgets and not being frontline operations, and just did not have time to teach people who may have BSd their way past HR into a job some fundamental stuff about Access).

I remember in a previous job, I was off sick for 3 weeks recovering from an operation, meanwhile my boss decided to recruit someone for a position in my department. He lined up interviews for when I came back and was really pushing for one guy (who woud have been a perfect sales guy - smarmy suit, BS central). The job involved calculating refunds at a time when VAT had changed numerous times in a few years. (And it was before spreadsheets & desktop computers so all hand calculated). Again, I gave him a test - he failed every single question had absolutely no clue how to calculate percentages, apply or remove VAT.

Yeah I've done literally the same thing.

In my last companies where I had a higher level of authority, I designed an interview task to weed out those that actually gave a poo poo (as well as those that cheated).

Pretty much anyone that was given a job without doing well in this task led to issues and ultimately had to get fired.

HR in my last place told me that we had to stop using it because it was "too hard" and candidates wouldn't want to have a week to do this task before an interview, etc (the task could be done in a day or two at most with a bit of Googling for someone really new to it all).

My current place doesn't have anything like it at all though. Everything I did in a recruitment session yesterday was top level "do they work well with others" stuff and in almost all cases the ones that didn't, clearly wouldn't have been able to do the day to day job anyway.

That being said, it was an entry level position and out of the 12 candidates it seemed like only one of them bothered to Google "what is [job]". It was astounding.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Kin posted:

(the task could be done in a day or two at most with a bit of Googling for someone really new to it all)

Only a day or two of unpaid work lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sinky posted:

Only a day or two of unpaid work lmao

Not even work, busywork

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kin posted:

Yeah I've done literally the same thing.

In my last companies where I had a higher level of authority, I designed an interview task to weed out those that actually gave a poo poo (as well as those that cheated).

Pretty much anyone that was given a job without doing well in this task led to issues and ultimately had to get fired.

HR in my last place told me that we had to stop using it because it was "too hard" and candidates wouldn't want to have a week to do this task before an interview, etc (the task could be done in a day or two at most with a bit of Googling for someone really new to it all).

My current place doesn't have anything like it at all though. Everything I did in a recruitment session yesterday was top level "do they work well with others" stuff and in almost all cases the ones that didn't, clearly wouldn't have been able to do the day to day job anyway.

That being said, it was an entry level position and out of the 12 candidates it seemed like only one of them bothered to Google "what is [job]". It was astounding.

How much above minimum wage does your entry level job pay? Because that impacts how many hoops I'm going to be willing to jump through. if it's not at least Living Wage levels, the only googling I'm going to do is how to get to the interview.

You get what you pay for

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kin posted:

(the task could be done in a day or two at most with a bit of Googling for someone really new to it all).

Haha! Get hosed mate. Even if I was widely overqualified for a role I'm not pissing away my own time doing that poo poo.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Kin posted:

pay peanuts, get monkeys

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Had the exact same thought. If Labour are so clever and led by a Forensic boy who can chair a meeting, why have they not anticipated this extremely obvious problem and figured out a solution? With most other parties you could expect them to realize something is a trap but decide to walk into it anyway and take their lumps, because it relates to a core principle that they can't jettison, but Keith doesn't have any of those.

No, I think this is a pretty clear-cut case of a motion running straight into one of Starmer and the Labour right's core principles, which they can't publicly and clearly express because it's transparently weird and hideous. Thus, all this pussyfooting and deflection.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
Something I have seen in places is the STAR-R model. The extra R is for Reflection. Looking back at what you did, what went well, what didn't and what would you do differently next time. It's meant to show thoughtfulness and a willingness to self analyze.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sadsack posted:

Something I have seen in places is the STAR-R model. The extra R is for Reflection. Looking back at what you did, what went well, what didn't and what would you do differently next time. It's meant to show thoughtfulness and a willingness to self analyze.

I learnt this tip from Something Awful and ever since I've had an 85% success rate on my job interviews :v:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kin posted:

People who are applying for entry level jobs are stuck in the 30 hour hell grind for meagre handouts thanks to the DWP and don't have the time, energy or head space to commit to anything beyond working out if the job you're offering is worse than the nightmare they're already stuck in and whether it's actually real and not just a scam or a courtesy listing before you fill it internally.

This is very much on how we've chosen to put unemployed people into a pressure cooker and you can't expect them to jump through hoops for you unpaid, it just isn't going to happen.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Surely the two days of whatever task it is can be counted against the 30whatever hours you are expected to dedicate to job searching?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Surely the two days of whatever task it is can be counted against the 30whatever hours you are expected to dedicate to job searching?

Yeah, I guess, but I'd rather be loving sanctioned than spend two days doing a task for an entry level job interview.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I've only ever been on the other end of the panel once, but it taught me that next jobs I go for I will definitely have 1000 model answers set out in a tabbed notebook, I'm not there to deliver speeches. Poor bloke was great on paper but could not set out one single example of how he'd applied any of that knowledge to a real world thing, I don't know if it was because of sheer terror or what

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've hosted a couple of job interview schemes and the best tip I found was to quickly check whether they're bullshitting on their CV with a few technical questions, then just ask them to talk about what they're into for a bit. Had a very nervous interviewee pretty much change into an entirely different candidate after he'd said he liked Street Fighter and we chatted about that for 5 mins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Sadsack posted: