Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
how about working at a bank if you want a safe space u SOB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The chaplain referred me to mental health because I was going to confession weekly, in his view hadn’t done anything particularly bad, but felt awful, and also I kept getting stuck on the fifth spiritual exercise of Saint Ignatius, and doing it over and over again every morning trying to get out of what I thought was desolation. (As opposed to a mental health condition)

Apparently if you have trauma induced OCD, you can get yourself into a bit of trouble if you understand feeling bad = have done something to feel bad about.

Idk, I was doing everything right… :shrug:

✅ interior sense of the pain which the damned suffer

✅ see with the sight of the imagination bodies on fire

✅ hear with the ears wailings, howlings, cries,

✅ smell with the smell smoke, sulphur,

✅ taste with the taste bitter things, like tears, sadness and the worm of conscience.

Considering Saint Ignatius had been grievously wounded in a battle, which we would today call “a traumatic experience”, probably the pattern of thought isn’t unrelated.

Men would rather found the Society of Jesus than go to therapy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fr0id posted:

which one? could you link?

whoops NYMag

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fr0id posted:

the warheads soda is the most amazing soda I’ve found for sour lovers. also albanese sour worms. the GOATs of sour candy.

haven't had the sour worms but the sour bears are pretty good. as advertised, they stay sour all the way through. the new-ish skittles sour gummies are pretty good too. I like all of the skittles gummy lineup. any good candy pods out there?

sour worms wise I have had a fair amount of trolli but I don't really like them anymore unless they are the berry kind.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

majour333 posted:

I really really really appreciate this post

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

fr0id posted:

I am extremely mad about how safe space has been taken from healthcare folks. such a great phrase just stolen by the worst loving people. now I have to use phrases like “comfortable zone” so I don’t anger anyone. god drat it.

Come to the Joy Zone

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

fr0id posted:

for what it’s worth, I think a good therapist is gonna be willing to go through this with you line by line word by word but then also challenge you line by line word by word.

with the end goal of resolving each word and each line

Thanks, I appreciate it. It’s been 10 years or so since I was steered towards MH, I’ve been seeing a good one for about 3 years. It took a while to try in earnest since it seems like softbody stuff that will make you lose your edge, but… you know, it does work.

Karach posted:

Men would rather found the Society of Jesus than go to therapy

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 09:32 on Feb 21, 2024

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Missed all the therapy/psychology talk I suppose. My experience was I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was young, finally was given stimulant medication at 7th grade (and my grades shot up, though at the same time as you get older your brain develops, some of your grade was based on sitting still, I also got prescribed glasses during sixth grade which I just remembered now so who knows if that matters, and I got a whole class period that was specifically for people who needed help or whatever, and I always got the most points I felt-which seems in retrospect maybe good? I could see positive experiences just being nice I'm rambling and this parenthetical is huge), had lots of poo poo happen through then and now at 29, but it's hard to describe without being afraid I'm gonna character assassinate myself. Big problem I think with my experience with psychologists. Best time I had with one I had like, two sessions and only because it jaggled my brain right to realize I had a golden opportunity to finally get practice for my driver's license (and to finally do the exam--passed first try) at 25 because my dad was driving me to and from work.

besides that, group therapy was nice. Met often (I think weekly or more? It was after a bad episode where I tried a bunch of different medications for anxiety, none of which seem to have worked, but given they seemed pretty indirect [like, one of them was a blood pressure med? I am surprised we got to that) and I wasn't about to touch benzodiazepines with a 49 1/2 foot pole even if they did offer them to me), and everyone being in a situation of some sort of similarity (as in we all had the bad brains enough to go to this) was nice as a way to break the ice. I guess once you've realized your own mind can be a horrible place to reside, it makes clearer the comfort of company. Like if they just had that for free instead of bananas in terms of cost (I guess per session it wasn't that bad, but drat does it add up) I'd still be going. If anything I think I'd be happier if I just had a consistent place to hang out with people besides my neurotic family who all go off to their own corners to consume content that is mutually exclusive to each other's interests (I love them and vice-versa, but we really don't seem to be able to find common interests even close to as much as I'd like). Maybe it'd be nice to know what a relationship is like but that's a whole other can of worms for another rogue E/N post.

Anyway I was never going to say anything meaningful to me here but I do wish all well in finding some sort of peace and happiness.

EDIT: Also the last of the animals we had when I was in grade school is very old and is constantly meowing and I can't get him to eat and it is to the point that I go rigid with frustration. I feel like this but worse is what a person would feel if their infant was starving and squalling but refused to eat. We got him thyroid medication because that was out of whack, but he's gone back to eating almost nothing but a tiny bit of chopped wet food (I suspect he's got some sort of pain in his mouth as his body reabsorbed his teeth/they fell out, and he probably has poor hearing/sight/smell now) or some milk, occasionally he'll lick some yogurt or something, but sometimes I've had to put it--

This is again too much. I can talk about these things that upset me.

thechosenone has issued a correction as of 10:20 on Feb 21, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

You might be on the younger side of it, but the emotional elements of ADHD weren’t recognized until really recently, and so on top of whatever that entails - rejection sensitivity, intense emotionality, problems reading emotions - how people reacted to that during childhood is (was?) often not great. Boys with ADHD in the 90’s received verbal corrections or rebukes something like 20 000 more times than their peers between ages 5-12 according to one study, and girls with ADHD were considered hysterical. ADHD in women is still barely recognized.

idk if that helps, just that the 90’s attitude “we gave you ritalin, everything after that is your fault” was not great and a lot of adults are carrying around things because of that.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

You might be on the younger side of it, but the emotional elements of ADHD weren’t recognized until really recently, and so on top of whatever that entails - rejection sensitivity, intense emotionality, problems reading emotions - how people reacted to that during childhood is (was?) often not great. Boys with ADHD in the 90’s received verbal corrections or rebukes something like 20 000 more times than their peers between ages 5-12 according to one study, and girls with ADHD were considered hysterical. ADHD in women is still barely recognized.

idk if that helps, just that the 90’s attitude “we gave you ritalin, everything after that is your fault” was not great and a lot of adults are carrying around things because of that.

Supposedly I also have Autism, and moderate depression (this was both from evaluations back in college ~2015 I wanna say?). Suspect my family wasn't exactly the best for making sure I socialized, and being even center left in highschool (I can't believe I thought Obamacare actually did anything--Like I'm sure someone can pop out of the wood work and say it saved a life but I'm pretty sure something closer to a national healthcare system would have done orders of magnitude better) but given the general environment kinda sucks for meeting people (Work second shift, though that's up in the air as I get 2-week extensions to my current promotion before I get shunted back into a call center, life sort of outside the big city, and just seem to not be able to find event's on the weekend for couples or even just anything I'd want to do).

I appreciate any response at this rate as I just can't go on trying to fill the void with occasional walks or banter with my supervisor (he kinda looked a little like Count Dooku. Very nice guy actually, pretty much the best supervisor I've had since my last temp promotion). Please don't take that negatively, I just wanted to say how much it's sucked not being able to talk to people.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

For sure, that makes sense. Depression is common in people with ADHD, and the emotional and processing parts of ADHD were often misdiagnosed as autism before that was understood.

There are lots of recent books on adult ADHD that can help, just in terms of seeing what fits your experience and different strategies you can try. I think the main thing is that the loneliness and social isolation, trouble making friends, are also common in adults with ADHD both because of the condition itself and the emotional fallout from childhood and adolescence.

So, don’t know if that helps, but it’s possible that a lot of what’s felt like your own shortcomings were in fact ADHD.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
chapo tech guest has strong trashfuture loser energy

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Yeah he's mad about Elon instead of enjoying the show, bad call

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

crepeface posted:

With two SA references I'd say he's more likely a goon

... or is the trashfuture loser coming from inside the house?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

crepeface posted:

He was 8 hours early to ChatGPT melting down and hallucinating like crazy, system wide.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
8 hours early to telling us a turd smells bad

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i really hate all "AI" analysis. either it's tech worshipping homunculi trying to drum up investment by promising the world or it's arts people crying about how their knock-knock jokes are irreplaceable.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Machine learning is an incredibly powerful tool, as we are seeing in various projects in China. We won't be using it for those, we're too busy producing the worst media in history

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Machine learning is an incredibly powerful tool, as we are seeing in various projects in China. We won't be using it for those, we're too busy producing the worst media in history

:agreed:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Meanwhile in America

https://twitter.com/seanw_m/status/1760115118690509168?t=xoqALV66dz7mLaK-e0SNyg&s=19

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
ChatGPT can make mistakes. Consider checking important information

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
chatgpt is quiet quitting

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

that looks almost exactly like a bilingual person with an aphasia, interesting

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

lol how many companies are relying on the enterprise version and having a very bad morning, do you think?

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

fr0id posted:

lol I hate to put myself out there but I’m an actual therapist.

Lurdiak is your client.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

lol how many companies are relying on the enterprise version and having a very bad morning, do you think?

hopefully all of them

the number of apps that have thrown lovely AI features into their basic rear end product is dire. there's a video platform I use that now auto-adds "suggested tasks for reviewers" that never make any sense and replaced comments as the default for what you see when you open the link. gently caress AI!!!

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Cookin up a video game based therapy program to fix ppl who use gamer words and cure them from having “heated video game moments”

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

my bony fealty posted:

hopefully all of them

the number of apps that have thrown lovely AI features into their basic rear end product is dire. there's a video platform I use that now auto-adds "suggested tasks for reviewers" that never make any sense and replaced comments as the default for what you see when you open the link. gently caress AI!!!

skill issue

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

oh, that explains cool bear's posts in the last few days

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

crepeface posted:

oh, that explains cool bear's posts in the last few days

no it doesn’t

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I learned from Age of Napoleon's latest dispatch that Marengo County in Alabama was founded by Napoleon loyalists who fled Europe after Waterloo to grow wine grapes there for some reason

quote:

The county was named to commemorate Napoleon's victory at the Battle of Marengo over Austrian armies on June 14, 1800.[1] This name was chosen in honor of the first European settlers, Bonapartists exiled from France after Napoleon's downfall. In 1817 a number of French settled the area around Demopolis. They were trying to develop a Vine and Olive Colony.[3]

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

crepeface posted:

i think he's been on there at least once, maybe more

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
starting a center left podcast called FashFuture right after trump wins again this year

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

slave to my cravings posted:

starting a center left podcast called FashFuture right after trump wins again this year

I'll be third mic

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

KirbyKhan posted:

I'll be third mic

how annoying is your laugh?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Medium annoying, it's a sensible chuckle that'll sound polite and disingenuous

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

KirbyKhan posted:

Meanwhile in America
this slaps tho

https://x.com/seanw_m/status/1760133466375536895?s=20

you heard it here first op...its an op

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

this slaps tho

https://x.com/seanw_m/status/1760133466375536895?s=20

you heard it here first op...its an op

This is indistinguishable from the lyrical output of half the big bands of the 90s

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Exactly! Have you noticed how the most terrible jeans in history are coming back in style? No accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Halloween Jack posted:

Exactly! Have you noticed how the most terrible jeans in history are coming back in style? No accident.

Which kind of jeans are those?