Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If there are server issues you can play offline mode. It really only matters for people making plans to play with friends (like me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

If there are server issues you can play offline mode. It really only matters for people making plans to play with friends (like me).

Or if you want to deal with the economy, or are they allowing people to switch to and fro willy-nilly.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DangerDongs posted:

Or if you want to deal with the economy, or are they allowing people to switch to and fro willy-nilly.

if you don't care about the economy you still play online you just choose the SSF faction

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

if you don't care about the economy you still play online you just choose the SSF faction

Hard pass, someone has got to sell the bird little hats and little vests and it might as well be me.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

queeb posted:

My prediction, 10k peak players

Edit: I say this because I don't think a 1.0 for a game that's been out for years is a huge draw like something out of nowhere like helldivers

lmao

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Man, why are there only scythes in the unique 2-handed axe category? My Primalist yearns for some chunky axes that cause blood and chunks of meat spatter into my angry bear's gaping mouth.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you're looking for apathy's maw which drops from shades of orobyss

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Ghostlight posted:

you're looking for apathy's maw which drops from shades of orobyss
But it has Doom and Necro stuff on it and it looks way too fancy for the barbarian looks. I guess crafting one is the way to go for now.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The LE guy in the interview that was posted yesterday said, that they are preparing for more than a year for launch day. This might mean nothing, like it did for the last Final Fantasy 14 expansion, but they did everything a company their size can do to be as scalable as possible.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Is there any ability to wear equipment you wouldn't normally associate with a class?
Like, can I have a heavy armour wearing Acolyte?

man I just want big armour ladies, sad.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Anyone got a link for the discord for this? The link in the OP seems to be invalid.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Iymarra posted:

Is there any ability to wear equipment you wouldn't normally associate with a class?
Like, can I have a heavy armour wearing Acolyte?

man I just want big armour ladies, sad.

You can wear any weapons or armor that aren't specifically locked to another class, but I believe their appearance changes to match your class. So, like, a Primalist in heavy armor might appear shirtless anyway. I think. Honestly the game doesn't really show you a close-up of your character outside of the character select screen, so it's a little hard to tell.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 21, 2024

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Extremely pessimistic that they'll be able to handle the influx of players. It's gonna be a poo poo show.

I haven't played for probably 18 months or so. Is there any promise of more weighty animations and gamefeel in 1.0? It was my main issue with the game.

Diablo 4 isn't much fun because the loot sucks, but it sure does feel fantastic to play. I'm not expecting a small team like this to fully emulate that, but I am hoping for an improvement.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They're updating all the animations for 1.0. That doesn't guarantee they'll satisfy you, of course.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Is the "impact" feeling a sound thing? Like I get the concept but I was trying to remember all my playing of D3 and I don't remember abilities really slamming in that way. I also haven't played that game with sound on in years.

Clarste posted:

Honestly the game doesn't really show you a close-up of your character outside of the character select screen, so it's a little hard to tell.

The monkey's paw curls and we get D4 UltraZoom(c).

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Mailer posted:

Is the "impact" feeling a sound thing? Like I get the concept but I was trying to remember all my playing of D3 and I don't remember abilities really slamming in that way. I also haven't played that game with sound on in years.

I still fondly remember the sound of Seismic Slam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HgwQ8NgCu0

Watching this small clip I think it's a combination of sound, visual effects, monster/environment destruction and physics that makes it all come together in a satisfying way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Something they brought up when asked about it in the AMA was screenshake and hit flashes. The patch notes also mention adding screenshake to a lot of rogue abilities. Ultimately "gamefeel" is hard to quantify and a combination of literally everything, from sound to animation to even how much HP the enemies have.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, general "feel" of a game is really hard to pin down and is usually a subtle combination of lots of different effects.

drat hard for any indie studio to try and match Blizzard in that realm, as they have vastly deeper pockets for spending on things that aren't the most important (Gameplay)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I've settled on Bleed Warlock on the live servers, and Explode Trap Falconer offline when the servers melt.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Diephoon posted:

Watching this small clip I think it's a combination of sound, visual effects, monster/environment destruction and physics that makes it all come together in a satisfying way.

Yeah I've seen enemies not really respond to death and it's a little weird coming from D3's ragdolling explosions. Here's hoping everyone is happy with the changes in 1.0 for that. It's a fair complaint and I'm not trying to downplay it, but it's been mentioned so much and that doesn't jive with the clips I've seen where maybe they need a bit more death feedback but it wasn't like enemies just disappeared.

Edit: Oh poo poo I forgot they did Linux stuff. That's going to be... tempting during work hours.
vvvv

Mailer fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 21, 2024

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Game bought and currently downloading.

As i follow Pohx from POE i'll be trying to copy his Paladin Judgement build for a first go.

I prefer off line play so if it's stable-ish under linux i'll be happy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mailer posted:

Is the "impact" feeling a sound thing?

It's definitely part of it but not all of it. Obviously two very different class types, but my D4 charge barb is slamming into things while screamin, poo poo's exploding, you're satisfyingly bonking things with hammers, etc... What little summoner necro I played in LE felt like he was just saying pew pew when casting things. Necro in D4 didn't feel like that. I'm sure it takes an insane amount of work to nail that kind of feeling down.

It didn't really detract from enjoyment of what little I've played of this game though. Any improvement is just a huge bonus.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

going for a homebrew Falconer bleed nets / spear traps

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
did the patch drop overnight or something? we're getting close to the release, kinda worried about the downloading shitshow that will ensue if they just drop the patch right at 11

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There was an update yesterday, but it was pretty small IIRC -- couple hundred megs maybe? -- no way that was the 1.0 patch

edit; extremely letmein.jpg today :(

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 21, 2024

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Mailer posted:

Sound helps but the most important part is how the animations are laid out. Usually, games like these don't have separate animations for swinging in the air and swinging and hitting an enemy so there's effects when the hit happens instead. Another "cheat" is to temporarily stop/slow down character movement for the hit frames if they were able to move while swinging. I haven't played D4 but from what I've gathered, it's way slower than other aRpgs which helps alot because you can lay out animations that feel chunky much easier and even play around with animations that require commitment and take away control for parts of them /end nerd rant

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I wouldn't say D4 is MUCH slower than others, but it is slower than the fastest PoE and D3 builds. I think sounds honestly do the most heavy lifting in the complete puzzle of game feel. Obviously it's a hard to define package, but I think the best example across games is probably the various bolters in Warhammer FPSes- The bolter in Space Marine and the very very different stylistically done Boltgun both feel incredibly meaty and satisfying to shoot and the most common thing they have is the great sound design. Animation/art etc are different, actual gameplay effects are kinda important, but the sound is a constant.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm inclined to agree that Sound is probably the most important, but I do think a lot of the "associated" art/models are also important. I actually recently watched a decent GDC talk about it stuff;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmSAG51BybY

I think by the end the final effect added ended up being a little too much, but overall demonstrates how everything ties in together and escalates the "overall feel".

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yeah the sound in D4 is straight up world class, I play on a home theater setup and if I have it cranked my neighbors know I am the mightiest barbarian

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sab669 posted:

I'm inclined to agree that Sound is probably the most important, but I do think a lot of the "associated" art/models are also important. I actually recently watched a decent GDC talk about it stuff;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmSAG51BybY

I think by the end the final effect added ended up being a little too much, but overall demonstrates how everything ties in together and escalates the "overall feel".

one thing i like as an example of meaty chunks and nice feel is the carnage shotgun from cyberpunk. its also got a bunch of pellets so as far as weapon effects go this knocks people down pretty much every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft8TraQ4M3k

im gonna play some LE this weekend to see if its improved enough for me to really want to dig into, it was always kind of a stopping point for me

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

victrix posted:

yeah the sound in D4 is straight up world class, I play on a home theater setup and if I have it cranked my neighbors know I am the mightiest barbarian

big agree, the sound effect feel of rogue's shadow imbue/penetrating shot popping off kept me playing for much much longer than the incredibly awful D4 release had any right to.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tonetta posted:

did the patch drop overnight or something? we're getting close to the release, kinda worried about the downloading shitshow that will ensue if they just drop the patch right at 11

They said they're didn't allow pre-downloading because then people would be able to play the "true offline" mode before release, since it wouldn't even check steam. Or something like that.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bardeh posted:

Diablo 4 isn't much fun because the loot sucks, but it sure does feel fantastic to play.

To add to the "that's subjective" convo - I tried D4 twice (once during closed beta, again during open beta), and I felt it was so loving boring that it wasn't fun at all. I felt better in PoE on the coast. Once it's on gamepass I'll try it again at some point I guess.

That said, I would also agree that LE always felt like it was lacking some "oomph" (even though I've still always really liked it). I'm looking forward to how the improvements feel in-game for this.

Tonetta posted:

On a dev interview stream, they confirmed that'll it just be a big rear end download all at once for everyone. Just how Steam works.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Clarste posted:

I'm a little sus on this to a bit - there's still some authentication bit that's on their side, because right now even though the game is down, you can't play in offline, unless you had logged in and not closed the game before the servers were taken down.

So like, nowhere near as bad zone servers, but there's *something* there for auth'ing offline mode that's on their side.

Edit: v--- Oh that's cool! Didn't hear that.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 21, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They are specifically adding a "true offline" mode that skips authentication. But it's in 1.0 so obviously no one's been able to use it yet.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

xZAOx posted:

To add to the "that's subjective" convo - I tried D4 twice (once during closed beta, again during open beta), and I felt it was so loving boring that it wasn't fun at all. I felt better in PoE on the coast. Once it's on gamepass I'll try it again at some point I guess.

tbf, during the betas it did suck, a lot. None of the classes had the pieces needed for builds to fit together to make, for example, the great smashy feeling barb that victrix was talking about. In beta everyone thought barb was absolutely dire terrible. A good death animation of monster gibs doesn't really help when you're slow and have such bad resource gen that you can't even cast cool hammer every 30 seconds.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I was hoping for a complete Shaman overhaul, but it looks like it was just a couple skills for now? In that case I’ll probably start a Warlock at first.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like the biggest change to shaman is being able to turn the lightning bolts into ice to support a freeze build. Which is not a big change.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hope the servers aren't hosed on launch.

I don't plan on playing with friends right away but playing offline kind of sucks because then you can't bring those characters/items into coop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I still plan to attempt MP even though I don't rrrrreally have anyone I'll play with regularly.

If they are a dumpster fire though, I guess I can check out Warlock offline.