Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The general mass public are not the same kind of Godzilla fans that we insane people are. I may think it looks really dumb and bad but fun but if I was 10 years old now like when I saw Godzilla vs. Megalon in the theater I would be making GBS threads my pants at how loving awesome it looks and want to see G & KK team up to beat the poo poo out of evil monkey.

You are absolutely correct but those theoretical children are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

LookieLoo posted:

You are absolutely correct but those theoretical children are wrong.

I disagree because if it wasn't for kids flocking to Godzilla movies in the 60s and 70s the series probably would have ended after Godzilla vs. King and we wouldn't have this addiction to a giant lizard

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The general mass public are not the same kind of Godzilla fans that we insane people are. I may think it looks really dumb and bad but fun but if I was 10 years old now like when I saw Godzilla vs. Megalon in the theater I would be making GBS threads my pants at how loving awesome it looks and want to see G & KK team up to beat the poo poo out of evil monkey.

This may be true, but even other younger G fans I’ve talked to say it looks like shite. As one 17-year old poignantly stated: “It looks like a bad Transformers.” (Which implies there’s a good one, but I digress). Even for a popcorn flick, it’s not gaining traction among the group of people who normally love this stuff.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

FooF posted:

(Which implies there’s a good one, but I digress).

Bumblebee is solidly alright (but don't let Transformers fans trick you into thinking it's going to be AMAZING).

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

In sorta semi-related news, our guy Gareth Edwards has been handed the reins of the Jurassic World franchise. It's not clear if it's a soft reboot or something more extreme, we only know that it will have no returning characters, it's being written by David Koepp, who wrote the original, and it's scheduled to release July 25, 2025. Yikes. That is going to take some fast work, though supposedly they are pretty far along on some of the pre-production.

They had John Leitch (John Wick and Bullet Train) signed but he backed out apparently because there wasn't enough time for him to have more creative input.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

In sorta semi-related news, our guy Gareth Edwards has been handed the reins of the Jurassic World franchise. It's not clear if it's a soft reboot or something more extreme, we only know that it will have no returning characters, it's being written by David Koepp, who wrote the original, and it's scheduled to release July 25, 2025. Yikes. That is going to take some fast work, though supposedly they are pretty far along on some of the pre-production.

They had John Leitch (John Wick and Bullet Train) signed but he backed out apparently because there wasn't enough time for him to have more creative input.

Maybe we'll finally get that "Resident Evil knockoff with a castle full of genetically engineered human-dinosaur hybrid abominations" movie that had that concept art leak a few years ago. I was kind assuming that's what JW2 was leading up to with its clones and super-raptors and stuff, until JW3 just had lame locusts or whatever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Maybe they'll stop being loving pussies and finally have historically accurate feathered dinosaurs.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

If edwards makes it to the end of production, which is a big if, there's no way he doesn't lean into making the dinosaurs look as big as possible

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Gripweed posted:

Maybe they'll stop being loving pussies and finally have historically accurate feathered dinosaurs.

My understanding of the scientific consensus is that T-rex at least, was not feathered, at least not in adulthood. The raptors? Definitely.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also the most recent Jurassic World did feature a feathered Pyroraptor.

Its a bizarrely standalone setpiece sectioned off from the rest of the movie that features it hunting people by swimming under ice at one point but uh they already at least cracked the glass there.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Honestly Edwards working with another person's script at the last minute is probably a big plus. Dude is amazing at constructing visuals and individual scenes but all of his movies end up a bit meandering and narratively weak. (Not that I expect a super massaged corporate Jurassic world script, of all things, to be any good). I wish the dude would team up with a wicked tight screenwriter with his sense of visual+narrative irony.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Gilroy had been working on Rogue One from the start rather than coming in late to salvage what he could then he and Edwards could have made an all timer movie.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea the only characters I've liked in Edwards entire filmography were Cranston and Godzilla.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jurassic Park but all the dinosaurs have feathers, and all the big meatasauruses are actually only scavengers. They shy away from conflict.

The raptors are totally feathered but also only like 3’ tall. They run in terror from humans.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Why would you say that? The previous movies all did well, and the trailers have lots of engagement, and the dumb horrible Monarch show is still near the top of the AppleTV charts. What evidence do you have? That you personally don't like it?

I don't think any of the previous movies did as well as Legendary wanted?

The films pre-Godzilla vs. Kong performed badly enough that Legendary was considering that the end of the franchise until it over performed, and it only over performed because it was a pandemic film.

The engagement for this might be high, but the buzz is in the pits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't think any of the previous movies did as well as Legendary wanted?

The films pre-Godzilla vs. Kong performed badly enough that Legendary was considering that the end of the franchise until it over performed, and it only over performed because it was a pandemic film.

Godzilla and Skull Island did pretty well. Sure, maybe they'd have liked more for Godzilla, but they had no idea going in what the benchmarks were since it'd been over a decade since a Godzilla film got a wide release in the US, and it made a very healthy profit. Skull Island made less domestic and cost more, but the increase in the global take and the better legs suggest it wasn't a big disappointment either. (A bit of a disappointment, maybe, given that it made less than Jackson's Kong domestic and adjusted for inflation, but not much of one.)

It was King of the Monsters where the bottom fell out. Domestic nearly sliced in half, international down 50, and worse legs than Kong. (Better than '14, but that one had Cranston's character dying as a handicap.) If GVK had bombed, that'd be ballgame. As is, well, there's a lot of factors going forward, especially with Minus One's shocking success, so it's hard to know what's next... but yeah, if this one loses money right after everyone praised Minus One to the heavens, it's going to, at minimum, lead to a lot of talks around the table.

Speaking of flops, I finally saw Vs. Biolante. Man, that movie has a weird opening. It's just a bunch of characters you don't know killing each other, then you get a brief into to scientist and his daughter trying to make the desert blossom, and then the daughter dies, and then there's a five year timeskip and psychics are a thing now. It's a mess, just like large portions of the soundtrack. Then there's the oddly extensive English dialogue, which is worse than in King Ghidorah a couple years later. There, it was badly acted, but it was badly acted by native speakers. Here, you usually don't even get that. You also have monster fight pacing that doesn't seem to recognize the "Versus!" in the title, with a pathetic brawl midway into the film before going back to Godzilla Vs. The Army's Latest Boring Superweapon for the bulk of the runtime before bringing back Biolante's (really cool) second design for a final slugfest. Then, after that ends on an emotional note, we get a few minutes of nonsense to finish off the weird spy plot and kill off the mad scientist.

It's not terrible (although the use of the music often is), but it's a versus film with dull fights, there's a love story as pointless as the later Marx Brothers films to take the lead spot from the potentially interesting scientist, and the film doesn't have the verve and energy to make its dumb bits fun. Might try giving it a second chance some other time, but for now, I mostly agree with the Japanese public of the 80s. It's not worth the hassle of tracking down.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

chiasaur11 posted:

Speaking of flops, I finally saw Vs. Biolante. Man, that movie has a weird opening. It's just a bunch of characters you don't know killing each other, then you get a brief into to scientist and his daughter trying to make the desert blossom, and then the daughter dies, and then there's a five year timeskip and psychics are a thing now. It's a mess, just like large portions of the soundtrack. Then there's the oddly extensive English dialogue, which is worse than in King Ghidorah a couple years later. There, it was badly acted, but it was badly acted by native speakers. Here, you usually don't even get that. You also have monster fight pacing that doesn't seem to recognize the "Versus!" in the title, with a pathetic brawl midway into the film before going back to Godzilla Vs. The Army's Latest Boring Superweapon for the bulk of the runtime before bringing back Biolante's (really cool) second design for a final slugfest. Then, after that ends on an emotional note, we get a few minutes of nonsense to finish off the weird spy plot and kill off the mad scientist.

It's not terrible (although the use of the music often is), but it's a versus film with dull fights, there's a love story as pointless as the later Marx Brothers films to take the lead spot from the potentially interesting scientist, and the film doesn't have the verve and energy to make its dumb bits fun. Might try giving it a second chance some other time, but for now, I mostly agree with the Japanese public of the 80s. It's not worth the hassle of tracking down.

Biollante tends to get a lot of praise in the fandom, and while I can sort of understand it in the abstract, I feel like the film massively faceplants on the execution. Setting aside the stuff about psychics and souls (which I kind of hate, but can accept that as being intrinsic to my own tastes), this should at least in theory be a great set-up, grappling with interesting ideas and a changing world in ways that recall the most thoughtful films of the franchise. I actually think the action setpieces are pretty good as well. But the plot is convoluted, the main characters are far less interesting than the secondary ones, and the English dialogue bodily wrenches me away from any level of immersion I may be able to achieve. All in all I find Biollante a deeply *disappointing* film. You can see the outline of some good ideas, and individual scenes work well, but the movie as a whole just doesn't fit together right IMO.

Behead those who insult the sublime musical majesty that is "BioWars", however

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

PriorMarcus posted:

Again, I ask, which group's buzz? I say this because I thought Monarch was an absolute turd, a shaggy dog tale layered with prestige nonsense and tiny dashes of Godzilla: yet it got eyeballs, critical praise, and a decent audience score. Meanwhile me and everybody I know thought it was dogshit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think enough people have apple to really make a splash

But I also don’t think the monsterverse is “in the pits”

Maybe gxk wil be bad but it’s got some hype around it, and people didn’t just go see minus one because it was THE TRUE GODZILLA, they saw it because it has Godzilla lol

People loving love Godzilla.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, I mean part of being a Godzilla fan is saying "well that just looks ok, but I'll go see it because, y'know...big G."

Also AppleTV has 25 million subscribers, so yeah it's definitely not huge.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t appreciate Godzilla until seeing 2014 opening night and getting hyped when he fired his atomic breath. Then it all made sense:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's always been the big sinister horns and the hero shots (even when he's not a hero) for me. I can't tell you how sad I was when I heard Cloverfield's "Roar" theme and realized that I wanted a traditional kaiju film outta that franchise. Yeah it's a weird leggy lizard crustacean thing but that theme!!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did too. I was sad we never got more clover stuff. That theme is so dope. I stayed during the credits to listen too it and bought it the morning it went on iTunes and definitely rocked it all down the halls in high school

I was a v cool boy 😎

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t think enough people have apple to really make a splash

Maybe gxk wil be bad but it’s got some hype around it, and people didn’t just go see minus one because it was THE TRUE GODZILLA, they saw it because it has Godzilla lol

True, but people love superheroes and that whole genre was run into the ground due to poor storytelling. Minus One had legs not just because Godzilla was in it but he was used properly. There was an actual story there.

CelticPredator posted:

I didn’t appreciate Godzilla until seeing 2014 opening night and getting hyped when he fired his atomic breath. Then it all made sense:

I remember on opening night for me, the extremely brief foreshadowing before the atomic breath (the camera pans down to an oriental dragon) some guy goes “Aww…shiiiiiit….” and in unison the whole crowd started clapping. Then once the SFX started everyone just kind of held their breath. It was a fun moment.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

If you look at the domestic box office for the various Monsterverse movies it's been steadily dropping off since 2014:

..... but if you look at the worldwide numbers it's still going strong. G:KOTM was a low point but GvK rebounded pretty strongly and interestingly enough, Skull Island was the top money earner. I guess that might explain why they've leaned so hard into Kong in New Empire? KOTM sidelined Kong and audiences dropped off, but GvK gave him a ton of screentime and the numbers bounced back up again.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you look at the domestic box office for the various Monsterverse movies it's been steadily dropping off since 2014:

..... but if you look at the worldwide numbers it's still going strong. G:KOTM was a low point but GvK rebounded pretty strongly and interestingly enough, Skull Island was the top money earner. I guess that might explain why they've leaned so hard into Kong in New Empire? KOTM sidelined Kong and audiences dropped off, but GvK gave him a ton of screentime and the numbers bounced back up again.

KOTM was also just painfully bad. I very nearly didn't see GvK in theaters because I was still recovering from the epic climactic Godzilla vs. Ghidorah fight where we are watching humans hide the entire time instead of actually seeing the fight.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Godzilla and King Kong together in a movie has never failed

GvsK 2021 saved the Monsterverse, KvsG 1962 for all we know saved the entire franchise

however, those movies were sixty years apart. not so this time. I'm willing to bet the success from a few years ago will not be repeated with New Empire because the two of them together isn't as new and exciting. I predict KOTM figures if even that

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Another good interview with Takashi Yamazaki with some surprising info on G-1's effects (They did muscle simulation on the Oda Island Godzilla but deliberately not on the mutated Godzilla) and sound design.

https://aframe.oscars.org/news/post/godzilla-minus-one-visual-effects-interview

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Kong also had way better actors while KoTM mainly had tv actors iirc.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Spacebump posted:

I assume you mean Kong: Skull Island, because GvK had abysmal acting across the board.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Spacebump posted:

The fact that they were TV actors has no bearing on their skill. That's an attitude from like 40 years ago. KotM's major issue was its writing. There's no group of actors who ever lived that could have saved that story.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Another good interview with Takashi Yamazaki with some surprising info on G-1's effects (They did muscle simulation on the Oda Island Godzilla but deliberately not on the mutated Godzilla) and sound design.

https://aframe.oscars.org/news/post/godzilla-minus-one-visual-effects-interview

There is some cool stuff in here:

quote:

Take Godzilla's roar, for example. We wanted to play it in a vast, open space, so we rented a baseball stadium and brought about 10 sound guys. We set up speakers and mics, used the baseball stadium's own speakers, and played the original Godzilla roar. We recorded that roar as it was played through these speakers. The echo and the way the audio bounced created this sense of a massive creature roaring in a vast, open environment. That was fun and very interesting, showcasing Godzilla's size and scale. In some ways, it was so big that we got a lot of complaints afterward from the neighbors who lived near the baseball stadium, saying, 'There's a massive monster roaring near my house!'

quote:

For the head alone, it was 200 million polygons

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The fact that they were TV actors has no bearing on their skill.

Incorrect.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bryan Cranston is a tv actor

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
While I think I agree that no movie stars could've saved "mommy is an eco terrorist who committed planet wide genocide and is redeemed by saving their own child in the last 10 minutes of the movie", since there are no child movie stars maybe we would have been saved from a completely pointless 20min Millie Bobbie Brown subplot in GvK if she wasn't in KotM

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
KOTM was better than GvK and it gave us one of the best OSTs of the whole Kaiju gestalt. :colbert:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
GvK had somewhat better fights, but thats about it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Bryan Cranston is a tv actor

yup, and for a reason too

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DeafNote posted:

GvK had somewhat better fights, but thats about it.

The key difference I think is color. Godzilla(2014) and King of Monsters had mostly fights that took place either in the dark, or surrounded by generic grayish rubble. Godzilla vs. Kong has the carrier fight, and then the Hong Kong fight, which are both way more visually interesting than any of the fights in the prior two films.

I also just think that Ghidorah didn't make for a very fun opponent for Godzilla. Kong is so much more dynamic and has a lot more character to him, and so they were able to put together more engaging choreography for those fights.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/TheGumGun/status/1760938379821154333?t=RgXFjuX83ZvRFXxGyG4Gtg&s=19

The best action beat in King of the Monsters was the chase with Rodan that was equal parts Toho Rodan as well as The Giant Claw.