Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I've got to admit, the Speaker losing his job because he broke unwritten rules & precedents because he was threatened with losing his job at some juncture in the future is very funny. That's the kind of farce that few other parliaments can give you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
lol the bbc live text doesnt know wtf

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

forkboy84 posted:

I've got to admit, the Speaker losing his job because he broke unwritten rules & precedents because he was threatened with losing his job at some juncture in the future is very funny. That's the kind of farce that few other parliaments can give you.

Like everything in our political system it all exists on precedent. Hes broken that precedent to protect Starmer from a rebellion.

The fact hes obviously sided with one political party and then ran away is like dumping petrol on the fire too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol the bbc live text doesnt know wtf

Apparently they're voting to kick all the public and journalists out too?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

serious gaylord posted:

Apparently they're voting to kick all the public and journalists out too?

They're voting to sit in private

To be fair they probably should have done that about 30 minutes ago. Now everyone's hosed off it's calmed right down.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm very confused

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm very confused

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

mossyfisk posted:

To be fair it is in the context of him saying he's not welsh, doesn't want to play for wales, and please stop telling him to play for wales.

And you've managed to convey that without the weird heritage/bloodline comment.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The funniest poo poo I've seen in the Commons for at least four years.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

sebzilla posted:

The funniest poo poo I've seen in the Commons for at least four years.

I've lost all sense of time, how long ago did the guy try to run off with the mace?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

so theyre gonna turn the cameras off and not tell us what happens. Seems legit

bbc said this happened 20 years ago, but it was by accident

however the gently caress that can happen

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I wonder how many toilet cubicles and broom closets there are in the houses of parliament? I'm imagining the SNP are conducting a thorough search during this division to find which one the Speaker is hiding in.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Apparently if the chamber votes to sit in private, there's not even a transcript of what is discussed? This is nuts.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The last two occasions on which the House sat in private were 18 November 1958 and 4 December 2001. This is not normal behaviour

https://erskinemay.parliament.uk/section/4636/proceedings-in-private-and-secret-sessions

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Reveilled posted:

Apparently if the chamber votes to sit in private, there's not even a transcript of what is discussed? This is nuts.

Be interesting to see how this works out for them in the age of smartphones.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Like everything in our political system it all exists on precedent. Hes broken that precedent to protect Starmer from a rebellion.

The fact hes obviously sided with one political party and then ran away is like dumping petrol on the fire too.

Yeah, I know. It's a stupid system & any system that exists on politicians in this day & age being good faith actors is moronic. We learned that from the Trump years. (Well, some of us learned that before then but you know what I mean)

That's why this is all just quite funny. It's not like the vote was going to have the support of enough Tories to pass. And now Chris Bryant is on Twitter yelling "OH BUT IT IS TRADITION THAT IF THE GOVERNMENT LOSES A FOREIGN POLICY VOTE THEY RESIGN" Yeah but you've shown that tradition isn't worth the paper it's not written on. He's a stupid man obviously, but I'm sure he won't be the only one chirping about this as if it's appalling the Tories aren't immediately calling for an election: they are only losing this vote for procedural reasons. It's all so loving dumb.

And I'm not buying this poo poo being put around by some lobby hacks that Hoyle actually did it because he's so afraid for the safety of MPs who are having big meanies protesting outside their house. loving nora, they get £86,584 a year, if they are that terrified of the protestors holding them to responsible for their cowardly triangulation over genocide they can probably afford to hire some sort of bodyguard.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

fuctifino posted:

The last two occasions on which the House sat in private were 18 November 1958 and 4 December 2001. This is not normal behaviour

https://erskinemay.parliament.uk/section/4636/proceedings-in-private-and-secret-sessions

I don't for a moment expect it to pass. I don't see why anyone would actually want the House to be sat in private (it looked like it came from the opposition benches but that might just where the Deputy Speaker was looking).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

I've lost all sense of time, how long ago did the guy try to run off with the mace?

Hadn't even realised that the last one to try & grab the mace was my MP, Drew Hendry in 2020. Neat.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Depending on which side of the divide you sit on, it's either

or

How was this reconciled without permabanning half of the thread?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol, Ch4 News opener, "the HoC made an unedifying spectacle of itself today".

Today and every other day, Krishnan.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Presumably the private discussion wouldn't even be about Gaza any more, if there is discussion in private it's going to be about what to do about the speakership?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

look whose back

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hoyle is back in the a seat. lmao

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Oh Hoyle's back!

edit: he's gone again!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Hoyle is back in the a seat. lmao

Presumably he really needed a jobby so came back to let one rip on the floor of the Mother of All Parliaments

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

bloody sue gray

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

forkboy84 posted:

And I'm not buying this poo poo being put around by some lobby hacks that Hoyle actually did it because he's so afraid for the safety of MPs who are having big meanies protesting outside their house. loving nora, they get £86,584 a year, if they are that terrified of the protestors holding them to responsible for their cowardly triangulation over genocide they can probably afford to hire some sort of bodyguard.

but but their mortgage!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol he's still doing the Biglad Speaker Voice but trying to mix in some humble contrition as well, what a pillock

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
loving house of commons apology video taking accountability for my actions rear end bullshit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wouldn't have gotten this poo poo from Bully Bercow

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The votes are still made public, just no more speeches and stuff.

So if hes doing this to 'protect MP's' it will achieve gently caress all apart from stop it being so publicly embarassing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've been avoiding parliament poo poo for a while now but I keep getting news alerts today. What's the actual point of all this? I can't get my head around how the UK calling for a ceasefire could actually affect anything - let alone the wording of it. Is it all sheer posturing or could something that actually matters come out of it?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

serious gaylord posted:

The votes are still made public, just no more speeches and stuff.

So if hes doing this to 'protect MP's' it will achieve gently caress all apart from stop it being so publicly embarassing.

If the "he" you're referring to is Hoyle, it wasn't his motion to sit in private. I don't know who's it was tbh, 20 people voted for it so it might have been an SNP thing.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wouldn't have gotten this poo poo from Bully Bercow

I've been watching Bercow on the US Traitors and 1) it's loving hilarious that he's there and all these US reality stars have absolutely no idea why he is, and 2) he occasionally slips back into his Speaker voice which is just silly in context

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

stev posted:

I've been avoiding parliament poo poo for a while now but I keep getting news alerts today. What's the actual point of all this? I can't get my head around how the UK calling for a ceasefire could actually affect anything - let alone the wording of it. Is it all sheer posturing or could something that actually matters come out of it?

It's Parliament, it does & doesn't matter. Is it largely symbolic? Yes. Was it likely to pass if Lindsay Hoyle hadn't so completely shat it today? No. But at the same time it's better than nothing. Isolating the Israel as long as it continues to act like this from the global community is the entire point of the BDS campaign. And it worked on South Africa, albeit it took a long time. So yeah, it's a gesture & ultimately wasn't going to pass because the Tories still have a big majority, but so much of what goes on in the House of Commons is gestures. At least this would've been a decent gesture for a change.

I think you can simultaneously say that most of the parliamentary SNP agree sincerely with the bill as brought forth while also acknowledging that it's quite fortuitous that it's a hot-button topic for Labour because the leadership want to do nothing that could lead to them being hit with the same antisemitism accusations that wrecked Corbyn's chances, & that Labour are serious contenders for between 10 & 20 of the SNP's MPs at the next election. So Labour looks a shambles when many of their MPs defy the whip, possibly including some front bench resignations that is certainly useful to the SNP. But it's still a good bill in the scheme of things. And it's also been very funny seeing Keith standing on all those rakes laid meticulously in front of them.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 21, 2024

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

stev posted:

It's Starmer being hoist by his own petard and taking out the speaker as collateral damage.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

stev posted:

It's unlikely that it would have materially affected the situation in Gaza. The point was intended to force/allow MPs to put their position on what's happening on record, because voters care about what's happening. Come the elections later this year campaigners would be able to say the sitting MP voted for/against a ceasefire. So yeah from a certain viewpoint it is pure posturing, but I guess it depends on what the function of the minority is supposed to be in a legislature--they can't change the policy of the sitting government, all they can do is vote for or against motions where they will almost certainly lose or be ignored, and speak up for causes they believe in.

And in this case it was the SNP effectively holding the feet of both Labour and the Conservatives to the fire, but the actions of the Speaker (and the deputy too it seems) have been deliberate in avoiding an actual division taking place, ensuring that nobody actually voted to put their views on record.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

keep punching joe posted:

It's Starmer being hoist by his own petard and taking out the speaker as collateral damage.

It’s especially funny because this issue is not going to suddenly go away, people are just going to get angrier and angrier and he’s just looking past tomorrow. Not even as far as tomorrow, honestly.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/HannahB4LiviMP/status/1760375934987718974

I never realised the division bell was a literal loving fire alarm in the corridors

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

stev posted:

It's the not-very-distant-future governing party of a UNSC member state ripping itself apart over its leadership's support for an ally nation (and major arms sales customer) committing genocide.

Basically, we're signalling to the rest of the world that us being run by racist, corrupt, and incompetent chucklefucks is a situation that is unlikely to improve anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/HannahB4LiviMP/status/1760375934987718974

I never realised the division bell was a literal loving fire alarm in the corridors

And in the bars MPs drink in https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68232558