Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I seem to recall he also said or implied someone with two bonds of two different types of spren will likely not be able to progress through all the oaths of either or both spren due to conflicting ethical philosophies. It could, however, lead to some cool and interesting resonances between surges that you wouldn't see otherwise and I kind of expect to see it at least once somewhere in Stormlight or post-Stormlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I’m at Part 6 in WoR and my goodness,

The pacing is insane. Not even that deep into this book, and I already know that poo poo IS GONNA GO DOWN. Also, hello Pattern. This spren seems cool.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I’m at Part 6 in WoR and my goodness,

The pacing is insane. Not even that deep into this book, and I already know that poo poo IS GONNA GO DOWN. Also, hello Pattern. This spren seems cool.

I just want to point out that you keep calling chapters "parts", when "parts" are actually big groups of chapters. I don't want anything to think you're further into the book than you are and spoil something.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

I just want to point out that you keep calling chapters "parts", when "parts" are actually big groups of chapters. I don't want anything to think you're further into the book than you are and spoil something.

Whoops.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The context made it obvious that you were on chapter 6, but it would be a shame if you were spoiled by accident.

Keep up your good posting. Your WoR predictions are really cool, I think you will enjoy seeing where you were wrong.

WoR does up the pace noticeably. It's a great book.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

WoR - Chapter 7

So that's it, huh? Jasnah just gets assassinated. Wow. Shallan also seems to be unlocking her powers. My prediction is that Shallan and Kaladin team up to form the new Knights Radiant.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

A Sneaker Broker posted:

WoR - Chapter 7

So that's it, huh? Jasnah just gets assassinated. Wow. Shallan also seems to be unlocking her powers. My prediction is that Shallan and Kaladin team up to form the new Knights Radiant.

WoR Chapter 7

RIP to real one, time to kill a bandit in her honor, it's what she would have wanted.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

A Sneaker Broker posted:

WoR - Chapter 7

Yeah it's a real bummer, she was shaping up to be a real interesting character

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

pik_d posted:

The Cosmere is a more complete experience if you read them all. Stuff ties together in fun ways.

They mostly felt like completely disconnected universes (except for Hoid obviously) until I read Arcanum Unbounded, which really tied them together.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

WoR - Chapter 11

Their’s no way that Tvlakv The Slaver, the same slaver that brought Kaladin to the Shattered Plains, is also gonna bring Shallan to the Plains as well. Lmaoooo. I can already see the shock from audiences around the world once they make this into a series.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Torrannor posted:

One blade is already as big as an entire person. While they are incredibly light for their size, they are not weightless. So it's for sure better to wield one blade with both hands. I'm sure people have tried dual-wielding them, but found out that this is extremely unpractical. And this issue is separate from being able to bond several blades, you can wield unbonded shardblades no problem. So I actually wouldn't be surprised if most of those high ranked youths training with their blades ask their peers to borrow a blade in order to dual wield them at least once in their life. And they probably all come to the same realization that it's simply not worth it.
Okay, yeah, fair enough.

pik_d posted:

Shardblade chat: I've been slowly going through the Worlds of Brandon, and one of them mentioned that the only real "cap" for how many Nahel Bonds that can be formed are convincing the various Radiant Spren to bond the same individual at the same time. And it's unlikely you can do that since the spren are looking for different things in people.

Obviously this is talking about living spren, not Deadeyes.

And we've actually got evidence that it's at least possible in theory with Sig, even if he bonded his spren at different times. Living Blades are obviously just a matter of how many spren can you convince to bond you and can you get to Third Ideal with their orders, which seems really, really hard.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, yeah, fair enough.

And we've actually got evidence that it's at least possible in theory with Sig, even if he bonded his spren at different times. Living Blades are obviously just a matter of how many spren can you convince to bond you and can you get to Third Ideal with their orders, which seems really, really hard.

Shardblade chat: Do we know you have to be third ideal to get a living blade in every order? That might make it a little easier if at least one of them allow it at second

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DarkHorse posted:

Shardblade chat: Do we know you have to be third ideal to get a living blade in every order? That might make it a little easier if at least one of them allow it at second

Shardblade chat, RoW spoilers:At least all those of whom we koew the number of ideals/truths they spoke have gotten their blade at the third ideal/truth or later. Although it's not easy to tell whether Shallan was on her second or third truth (so initial ideal +2/3 truths), and she's a special case because of Testament, of course. Which in itself begs the question how child Shallan managed to swear the Ideal of Radiance, and also two fundamental truths? But of course, with the speculations about her mother, this might all (and at least partly definitely is) due to her parentage, and might not apply to "normal" radiants.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Torrannor posted:

Shardblade chat, RoW spoilers:At least all those of whom we koew the number of ideals/truths they spoke have gotten their blade at the third ideal/truth or later. Although it's not easy to tell whether Shallan was on her second or third truth (so initial ideal +2/3 truths), and she's a special case because of Testament, of course. Which in itself begs the question how child Shallan managed to swear the Ideal of Radiance, and also two fundamental truths? But of course, with the speculations about her mother, this might all (and at least partly definitely is) due to her parentage, and might not apply to "normal" radiants.
A young child raised in a happy family would presumably have no problems speaking truths about themselves, and Shallan's own narration says how easy the entire process was.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah it's a real bummer, she was shaping up to be a real interesting character

Well hey maybe there will be some interesting flashbacks from her POV in some of the later books

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Read the four main SA books and the Mistborn era 1 & 2 books in late December and January; I'd been trying to read through the thread before posting, but I just had a thought today I'm going to have to share.

Spoilers for all of SA:
I was thinking about the "humans as colonizers/invaders" theme of the series, and something big occurred to me. Maybe this is commonly known, but Coppermind has nothing about the idea. Let me walk through my thought process.
1. We know from the hunts in WoK that the Chasmfiends are a good source of gemhearts for use. Animals on Roshar are also raised and harvested for their gemhearts.
2. We know that the listeners have gemhearts.
3. We know from Kaladin's Bridge Four trick that the Parshendi reacted very angrily at the thought of humans touching or messing with their dead.

The logical conclusion is that, during at least some of the conflicts between humans and Parshendi, the humans were harvesting the bodies of dead Parshendi to take and use their gemhearts.

The colonizers literally ripped out the hearts of the natives and used them as currency.

We know fabrials are hard on gems, and we know that gems eventually break apart (as their pieces are lower-denomination currency), but we don't know the time-scale. It's entirely possible that some of the gems still being used as currency or lights are the hearts of the listeners. The practice has presumably been forgotten, as it wasn't happening on the Shattered Plains.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Narsham posted:

Read the four main SA books and the Mistborn era 1 & 2 books in late December and January; I'd been trying to read through the thread before posting, but I just had a thought today I'm going to have to share.

Spoilers for all of SA:
I was thinking about the "humans as colonizers/invaders" theme of the series, and something big occurred to me. Maybe this is commonly known, but Coppermind has nothing about the idea. Let me walk through my thought process.
1. We know from the hunts in WoK that the Chasmfiends are a good source of gemhearts for use. Animals on Roshar are also raised and harvested for their gemhearts.
2. We know that the listeners have gemhearts.
3. We know from Kaladin's Bridge Four trick that the Parshendi reacted very angrily at the thought of humans touching or messing with their dead.

The logical conclusion is that, during at least some of the conflicts between humans and Parshendi, the humans were harvesting the bodies of dead Parshendi to take and use their gemhearts.

The colonizers literally ripped out the hearts of the natives and used them as currency.

We know fabrials are hard on gems, and we know that gems eventually break apart (as their pieces are lower-denomination currency), but we don't know the time-scale. It's entirely possible that some of the gems still being used as currency or lights are the hearts of the listeners. The practice has presumably been forgotten, as it wasn't happening on the Shattered Plains.

Interesting theory. Singer gemheartst are described as cloudy white. Were any spheres described as such? I can't remember, but I wasn't looking out for this. I was under the impression that Singer gemhearts are poor sources of spheres, their "cloudy" nature probably interferes with Stormlight somehow. But maybe I'm wrong, and it would surely fit the colonizing theme.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250843661/themostboringbookever

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Stormlight spoilers, also content warning for sexual assault (was gonna abbreviate this ‘SA’ but, well) The alethi practice cultural genocide and chattel slavery against the listeners, there’s pretty much nothing that’s beneath them in my mind. The only reason there aren’t heavy themes of sexual violence perpetrated against so-called “parshmen” is that Brandon’s imagination isn’t nearly violent enough to include such a heinous practice in his books, I think.

Edit to add I’m not really clamoring for that kind of content, in fact I read these stories because there’s a refreshing lack of over-the-top sexual violence relative to a lot of modern adult fantasy.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Lawnie posted:

Stormlight spoilers, also content warning for sexual assault (was gonna abbreviate this ‘SA’ but, well) The alethi practice cultural genocide and chattel slavery against the listeners, there’s pretty much nothing that’s beneath them in my mind. The only reason there aren’t heavy themes of sexual violence perpetrated against so-called “parshmen” is that Brandon’s imagination isn’t nearly violent enough to include such a heinous practice in his books, I think.

Words of Brandon spoilers for general Stormlight background stuff There are several peoples across Roshar who have listener blood in them, the Horneaters and Herdazians at least. So there was some interbreeding, whether or not it was consensual I have no clue.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lawnie posted:

Edit to add I’m not really clamoring for that kind of content, in fact I read these stories because there’s a refreshing lack of over-the-top sexual violence relative to a lot of modern adult fantasy.

It's all over the place in mistborn so I think we can assume there's some reason it doesn't happen.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

pik_d posted:

Words of Brandon spoilers for general Stormlight background stuff There are several peoples across Roshar who have listener blood in them, the Horneaters and Herdazians at least. So there was some interbreeding, whether or not it was consensual I have no clue.
I think we're meant to assume consent, otherwise it'd undermine the entire "hey this is a false dichotomy, we're all children of Roshar" message that's been bubbling up from subtext to Navani just saying it out loud on the page.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Narsham posted:

Spoilers for all of SA:

Now with ethnically sourced gemhearts

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

pik_d posted:

All Stormlight Archive, continues to touch on themes of rape/sexual assault.
I would have to assume there was at least some consent because of the process it takes to get to mate form. Presumably Listeners/Singers don't bear children when they're in dull/work/war/etc. form, so in order to bear children they would have to change forms. Not to say that non-consensual sex didn't happen to those other forms, but with the given examples of interbreeding then the singers would have to plan out that part of the process.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
:siren: ALERT ALERT! INCOMING RAMBLINGS! :siren:

By the end of Words of Radiance should I currently consider the Listeners as anything other than incredibly stupid? I keep waiting for a reveal of "This is why the Listeners let the Alethi genocide them" but it hasn't come yet. Perhaps this is just a RAFO, and if it is, so be it. This is more just me sharing my thoughts rather than expecting any answers.

But by the end of WoR, the Listeners on the Shattered Planes are supposedly mostly wiped out. Eshonai is, I assume, dead. Venli is not and I only know that because I know she's the main viewpoint for RoW. I have zero clue what happened to Thude and the people he escaped with.

I can only assume there will be more answers because right now, I find the resolution to the Alethi-Parshendi war to be very unsatisfying. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Everstorm was loving cool and I'm curious how that impacts things, but on a political level... the Listeners just seem dumb.

Gavilar was clearly "up to some poo poo" so to speak (I still am wondering when that orb he gave Szeth will come up again) and supposedly they had their reasoning for killing him. I half laughed and half rolled my eyes at Venli and Eshonai awkwardly talking around the reasons for the assassination because Brandon clearly doesn't want the reader fully understanding that yet. "We had to kill him for what he was about to do!"

But I'm just curious if my following of the timeline makes sense. So far as I understand it, this is how things went down:

Gavilar and Dalinar in (unspecified past time) unite the High Princes to form modern Alethkar. This is bloody and violent but ultimately successful to the degree it can be. ->
Gavilar and Dalinar go exploring some lands ->
they find the Listeners ->
for ???? reason, Gavilar wants to forge an alliance with the Listeners ->
Listeners learn that Gavilar wants to "bring about the return of their gods?" ->
Listeners have Gavilar assassinated ->
the leaders of the Listeners confess to the assassination and are executed ->
the Vengeance pact is forged ->
6 years of genocide on the Shattered Plains ->
Listeners find Stormform ->
(events of WoK/WoR happen)

The things I'm currently perplexed on this -
- The main Listener god seems to be Odium? But they say "gods" repeatedly. Did Odium co-opt their gods or something along those lines? (This is something I am confident will be addressed.)
- Dalinar (or was it Adolin?) mentions how they sent messengers to try to open talks with the Listeners but they were all killed. Why? Why would they do this? "Yes, our people are getting slaughtered for years straight. We should definitely keep up this course of action." I think this is my biggest confusion with the whole situation.

I totally get that once Eshonai took Storm Form, she was EVIL and "good" Eshonai was trapped within her. But before that, she and the others seemed incredibly reasonable. Why did they never try to broker peace before then? The Alethi had literally tried to contact them multiple times.

High Storm clarifying question:
Near the end of WoR, I have the impression that each High Storm isn't a new storm and that the High Storm just circle the planet. Is that correct? Like it hits eastern Roshar, sweeps to the west, losing power, but then once it leaves the western coast, it picks up power again until it sweeps the globe and hits at full power on the eastern coast again? Is that correct, or am I misunderstanding?

And furthermore, the Everstorm is now just the same thing but the opposite direction? And when the Everstorm hits, it's just going to forcibly turn any Listeners/Parshendi/Parshmen into Storm Form? And it'll just keep circling forever?

Sorry, lots of questions there. I'm sure a lot of it is RAFO. Mostly just wanted to write down my musings.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

By the end of Words of Radiance should I currently consider the Listeners as anything other than incredibly stupid?
Extreme RAFO. They had their reasons. Your timeline is correct, though. For what it's worth, you've got enough information to maybe make some educated guesses, but it'll be explained eventually.

quote:

High Storm clarifying question:
Near the end of WoR, I have the impression that [spoiler]each High Storm isn't a new storm and that the High Storm just circle the planet. Is that correct? Like it hits eastern Roshar, sweeps to the west, losing power, but then once it leaves the western coast, it picks up power again until it sweeps the globe and hits at full power on the eastern coast again? Is that correct, or am I misunderstanding?

And furthermore, the Everstorm is now just the same thing but the opposite direction? And when the Everstorm hits, it's just going to forcibly turn any Listeners/Parshendi/Parshmen into Storm Form? And it'll just keep circling forever?

Sorry, lots of questions there. I'm sure a lot of it is RAFO. Mostly just wanted to write down my musings.
You are correct on the nature of the highstorm. It's an eternal hurricane, hits at the east, loses power as it goes overland so by the time it's at Shinovar it's comparatively weak, but then it's got a long pass over the ocean to recharge before it makes landfall in the east again, as Roshar only has the one continent.

The everstorm is... hmm. "Same thing" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. It is not the same as the highstorm, but it is an eternal storm in its own right, traveling west to east. Otherwise, RAFO.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CapnAndy posted:

Extreme RAFO. They had their reasons. Your timeline is correct, though. For what it's worth, you've got enough information to maybe make some educated guesses, but it'll be explained eventually.

Perfect. I suspect that was the case. I have faith in Brandon to not leave me disappointed, so when I reach a bit of the story that is confusing or frustrating, I generally assume that I'm missing some context. Glad to know I didn't miss any significant details thus far.

I find the whole war on the Shattered Plains interesting because after the meeting between Adolin and Eshonai where she is psycho evil storm form, I was basically 100% on the same page as Dalinar "gently caress it. We tried to negotiate and they gave us the finger. Guess we'll just have to kill anyone who fights back."

CapnAndy posted:

You are correct on the nature of the highstorm.

Yeah, I think the interesting part about that to me was I had assumed every high storm was a new one that started it in the Origin and then hit Roshar - surprised they didn't start naming them like we name Hurricanes. "We got Highstorm Talinathin coming in this week. Next week, we think High Storm Shakalar is brewing"

Since the Everstorm was just introduced at the end of WoR, I wholly know that I know basically nothing about it - other than it goes the wrong direction and is filled with EVIL (Odium) spren.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What are you planning on reading next? When I finished WoR I did Edgedancer then White Sands and Arcanum Unbounded (which gets me up to where I am now) and found that to be a good combo with what was covered and revealed.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm starting a re-read of the Stormlight Archive, and I thought I'd do a little re-read review since it's been a while and there's lots of fresh people in the thread

It slaps. I absolutely love this book, and multiple re-reads have not dampened my enjoyment of it at all. Most people consider the book to be slow, and I think that's fair, but I definitely don't think the book gets boring. The amount of character detail, plot information, and worldbuilding that goes on through every single page of the book is remarkable and it's what got me hooked on Sanderson in the first place. There are a couple specific arcs that I do think are slow and could have been edited down, but overall? No way, the pacing, the detail, the buildup, all serve to make the finale that much more impactful.

Kaladin:
He's my boy. I love this character, I think he's superbly written and his character arc in WoK is :discourse:

I was actually surprised on this re-read, he spent far less time being the depressed boy that every talks about than I remembered - he basically has two separate depressive episodes in the book, and both of them are over in the span of a couple chapters. He has a few other moments of despair like "how the hell am I going to keep these bridgemen alive", but I would not describe them as depressive and most of the time they last less than a chapter.

The bridgemen are of course also the best. I was surprised here too, I remember most of these characters from their overall presence in the series, I had forgotten how much of an arc a few of them have in this first book, notably Sigzil and Moash.

It's difficult for me to write eloquently about his arc in this book, because it's so personal and so impactful, but goddamn is it well done. Lots of crying moments, lots of crushing apathy, and lots of incredible fist pump moments.

Overall I really enjoy his flashbacks and the information and characterization that they contain, but they overstay their welcome, could have been reduced by probably 25% to keep things moving.

Shallan:

I don't really like Shallan. She's annoying at the best of times (I know it's supposed to be cringe, but it's very unpleasant to read). I overall enjoy her chapters simply for the change of pace, as well as obviously Jasnah and Karbranth and everything else, but I really wish she was less... tedious. And Kate Reading, while a very competent narrator, has a tendency to make immature or petulant people excessively annoying, and it really, really sticks out here. Speaking of wasted time, Kaladin's flashbacks have nothing on Shallan and Kabsal. Their interactions are cringe, uninteresting, and incredibly repetitive. I don't know how he managed to fit them having 50 1-on-1 conversations almost entirely consisting of descriptions of loving jam, but he did it. Definitely the worst part of the book. The fact that he is a Ghostblood is interesting, but was not worth the time. Bad character, boring chapters.

I continue to be confused about (ROW SPOILERS) her shardblade. I'm unclear if she's bonded Pattern already but blocked it out after killing her father and has him as a blade already. Or if she has not yet bonded Pattern, she frequently talks about summoning her blade but lies to herself about it needing heartbeats - is this Pattern as a blade, or can she somehow bypass the 10 heartbeats with a dead spren that she was previously bonded too?

Luckily, Shallan takes a back seat in this book so we don't have to deal with too much.

Dalinar:

I'm a fan. His self-righteousness and pants-on-head stupidity about certain things gets really frustrating, but it's a part of his arc that gets almost entirely resolved by the end of the book. He doesn't actually do much until the very end of the book, but he's a very important lens with which to see broader Alethi society. His interactions with Adolin, Elhokar, Navani, Sadeas etc are extremely good. I wish Renarin got more screen time.

The strap business is the drag in these chapters, it is important for some plot beats but the detail could have been cut down a lot. 30% less strap talk, please.

One thing that sticks out badly to me every time I read this book though is how nonsense his behavior is with regards to joint plateau assaults with Sadeas. He keeps talking about how Sadeas' bridges are immoral (correct, obviously), but for some reason considers the only other option to be his big slow siege bridges. How about instead, trained and armored bridge crews? Sadeas doesn't do that cause he's a prick, but it's very obvious from the descriptions of the economics of the assaults that the lives saved and money gained from doing this would be worth it.

And at the final assault, Sadeas is like "lets go attack together!" and Dalinar says no because it would waste the lives of bridgemen - but, Sadeas is running the bridgemen anyway, against the same number of archers as he would be if you went together, no lives get saved by him letting Sadeas attack alone and establishing a foothold - on the contrary in fact, a lot of time is given to the fact that Sadea's small army has a really hard time making a foothold, and they suffer heavy losses. If they'd attacked together roughly the same number of bridgemen would have died, but far fewer soldiers! It makes no moral or tactical sense and it bugged me probably more than it should have.

Still, those complaints aside I really, really enjoy his chapters, and the context of future events makes what happens in them even more interesting.

Obviously we know Sanderson had this series figured out ahead of time, but it's still remarkable how many hints and easter eggs he puts in for future books - essentially invisible details and throwaway lines that you absolutely don't notice on a first read, but become immediately clear once you've read the other books.

A+ book, it remains one of my favorites. I listed quite a few nitpicks in this little review but when I first read this book I was immediately hooked, and I clearly remember my first time reading it - both the enjoyment of the slow burn as well as the frantic ending that was so insane I literally couldn't sit down. It kicked off my reading of the Cosmere, which has definitely been my favorite fiction reading experience of my life. No regrets.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

:words:

One thing to keep in mind is (WoR spoilers) the one time a group of them surrendered, they surrendered to Sadeas, who was mightily pissed that they denied him the fight he lusted for, and so he executed them in full view of another group of Listeners. Afterwards, they concluded that this conflict could not end peacefully.

As for your other questions/complaints, several of them will get answered in the upcoming books.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

CapnAndy posted:

Can you drop the answer to this in some spoiler bars because I’ve legit forgotten and would like to remember. 🫠

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

- Dalinar (or was it Adolin?) mentions how they sent messengers to try to open talks with the Listeners but they were all killed.

Iirc the messengers weren't killed, they just (according to the alethi) refused to give an answer. we know the leaders gave at least a partial explanation to jasnah before they were dragged off and tortured, so the alethi party line on this doesn't match what's shown.

probably the alethi didn't want to believe it - there's a great bit of characterization for jasnah where instead of trying to figure out what the hell her dad was doing, she hides any evidence he could have brought it upon himself and instead spends half a decade trying to prove he was killed by literal demons from hell

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Taffer posted:

Shallan:

I continue to be confused about (ROW SPOILERS) her shardblade. I'm unclear if she's bonded Pattern already but blocked it out after killing her father and has him as a blade already. Or if she has not yet bonded Pattern, she frequently talks about summoning her blade but lies to herself about it needing heartbeats - is this Pattern as a blade, or can she somehow bypass the 10 heartbeats with a dead spren that she was previously bonded too?
I thought that was fucky too when you brought it up, so I looked it up, and it actually tracks. Shallan is Third Ideal before the end of TWoK -- apparently "What am I? I'm terrified" is her first truth (seems a bit questionable to me, but it triggers a Shadesmar transition) and that puts "I'm a murderer. I killed my father." as her second truth and Third Ideal, well before she needs a Patternblade to kill Tyn with.

However, because I'm really side-eyeing that first truth, I also looked up when she admits to killing her mother, and that's not until WoR, after the chasms where her Blade shapeshifts, and after she's used the portal to Urithiru, which needs a live Blade. And there's also nothing showy about the admission; no burst of power, no sigil appearing, no Shadesmar.

So in balance I think that first truth must be right, and Shallan's got a live Blade after she admits to killing her father in WoK. The bit where she's thinking that it doesn't have to be 10 heartbeats for her is probably her just remembering how it worked with Testament before she hurriedly re-buries that memory; she knows how live Blades work.

stramit posted:

Can you drop the answer to this in some spoiler bars because I’ve legit forgotten and would like to remember. 🫠
Sure! (Full RoW spoilers, Mord especially don't you read this)

What's loving Mord up on a fundamental level is that he's assuming the Listeners want to win. He thinks they picked a war they thought they could win and are fighting for victory, and of course nothing they do makes sense through that lens, because it's not their motivations at all.

Gavilar and the entire Sons of Honor made some bad guesses at the cause and effect of the entire Desolations cycle. Their ultimate goal is to bring back the Radiants, but they think the Radiants are a natural reaction to Voidbringers, so they think the core problem is that the Desolations stopped -- no Voidbringers, no Radiants, so therefore if Voidbringers come back, more Radiants! Yay! This is why Gavilar's so oddly hyped when they find the Listeners. He's got some broad-strokes sense of history that Parshmen used to be Voidbringers when they were empowered by their gods, and for the first time, holy poo poo, he's found Parsh that can actually think, this is a major step forward for his plans.

But of course he's wrong on so many particulars, and this causes him to massively miscalculate. He brings Eshonai into his confidence and is like "hey, guess what, I'm bringing back your gods, your people are gonna be Voidbringers again". He genuinely thinks this will be exciting news for her and the Listeners -- it's their gods! They worship those! They get their ancient power back! Great deal on both sides! And in fact it's the last thing they could ever want, it's exactly what they ran away from their entire civilization and people to be rid of, they're horrified.

They're so aghast at the thought of what Gavilar's doing that they make a brutal decision -- he cannot be allowed to succeed. Dude's got to die. That very night. And so, knowing they'll be killed as arch-betrayers (for gently caress's sake they are there to sign a treaty of friendship with the man), knowing this will provoke a retaliatory war, they do it anyway, because if the absolute worst case happens and they all get slaughtered and wiped off the planet forever, that is still preferable to being enslaved by Odium again.

The rest of it is a combination of how we see in RoW that the Listeners have a very limited, ceremonial-battle understanding of war, and that they simply cannot comprehend the sheer scale of human civilization and the forces that will be brought to bear against them. But the basic answer is that the Elders want to be executed and they're starting a war they want to lose. They did a bad thing, intentionally, knowing the consequences, and are willingly suffering them as punishment.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 22, 2024

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
🙏 thank you. That all tracks.

Some minor book 5 speculation: I’m looking forward to Dalinar eventually summoning the storm father as a shardblade. Just the whole “you will never summon me as a blade” is enough for me to know it’s going to happen and I’m super hyped for the eventual shift in the storm father to have enough faith in humans that he’s willing to make that step to save the big boi from a dark time of trouble where there otherwise would be no way out.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

What are you planning on reading next? When I finished WoR I did Edgedancer then White Sands and Arcanum Unbounded (which gets me up to where I am now) and found that to be a good combo with what was covered and revealed.

I just cracked into Edgedancer this morning. I usually like to take a week or two off between audiobooks because if I don't, I often find myself burning out in the middle of a book and needing a month off.

In my excitement to keep going, I nabbed the Edgedancer audiobook with one of the extra audible credits I had laying around... only to realize that it's part of Arcanum Unbounded audiobook that I already have. :negative:

Anyway, I started the Arcanum Unbounded version and I forgot that each section starts with a primer on the systems. And the Rosharan one CERTAINLY SAID SOME THINGS. And now I have even more questions!!!!

Arcanum Unbounded Roshar Talk: So Roshar (the system, no no, not the planet or continent) is home to three planets that could hypothetically sustain life - one of which is Roshar. The other two planets Ashyn and Blaize are fire-hell planet and ice-death planet, respectively It is said that Ashyn had a cataclysm in the past and is a wasteland but still has some pockets of life. Blaize is completely uninhabited.

I am wondering if there is a connection between Ashyn and the Heralds. Is Ashyn where Odium is physically hanging out? DO WE GET TO GO TO DIFFERENT WORLDS?!

One thing that has been endlessly confusing to me is still that very first prologue in TWoK where the Heralds are talking about how it sucks when they die because they go back to basically Hell to be tortured for thousands of years. Is Ashyn the "the place of nightmares" they speak of? I don't understand why the Heralds, in the past, would leave Roshar between Desolations. "Oh the Desolation is over. Time to go get tortured for thousands of years." ????????????????????????????????

Heralds seem like they functionally immortal but when they "die" they get sent to Hell for a few thousand years????????????

I feel like I'm missing something here. (Obviously I am and I'm sure it will be talked about more as Odium takes center stage, but the stuff so far is still confusing!!!)

Also the primer talks about how Greatshells are able to exist due to their bond with spren! Which explains why Dalinar saw all the spren leaving the Chasm Fiend's corpse in TWoK. That had nagged at me.

Also also, I like the hints that Ryshadiums are also friends with spren and hyperintelligent because of this.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

well before she needs a Patternblade to kill Tyn with.

WoR/RoW spoilers Tyn was killed with Testament, she had sent Pattern away.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Out of context Warbreaker reactions.

https://i.imgur.com/8nUYRcr.mp4

I think I'm about to hit the Sanderlanche, everyone's starting to move on their respective plotlines.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

stramit posted:

Some minor book 5 speculation: I’m looking forward to Dalinar eventually summoning the storm father as a shardblade. Just the whole “you will never summon me as a blade” is enough for me to know it’s going to happen and I’m super hyped for the eventual shift in the storm father to have enough faith in humans that he’s willing to make that step to save the big boi from a dark time of trouble where there otherwise would be no way out.

He already did that, to operate an oath gate in Oathbringer

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Taffer posted:

He already did that, to operate an oath gate in Oathbringer
I don't think that was fully a blade -- the blades do something in those locks to slide in and fit them regardless of size, it's entirely plausible that they shift back to Investiture or something to power them. And even if it was, the point stands that the Stormfather not only agreeing that the threat is that dire but being willing to break his own oath would be a huge moment, and also a pretty good culmination of his arc where Dalinar's been teaching him how to be human. Going from ALL OATHS ALL THE TIME FOREVER NO EXCEPTIONS to "okay yes intellectually it does seem like maybe sometimes an oath could possibly be broken without dishonor" to "yeah, I don't care what I swore anymore, that oath was dumb".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

stramit posted:

Some minor book 5 speculation: I’m looking forward to Dalinar eventually summoning the storm father as a shardblade.

Oathbringer spoilers:

He kind of did already, it would probably be a bad idea if he forced it again.

quote:

The Stormfather pulled back from him, not breaking the bond, but withdrawing his favor.

The way it's described as happening is a bit different from other summonings too, so there's probably something else going on that makes it a bad idea.