Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I quite like these forums, God knows I've spent long enough on them to claim them as my internet home, but I manage to remain fairly insulated in my little bubbles that I enjoy reading, like this thread or the Lego one.

So when I find out the forum's have some kind of history with dog killing it makes me worry.

EDIT: What a lovely start to the page.

On October 29, 2011, April Mathis lifted the heaviest squat weight by a female at 278 kg in Orlando, Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

I don't love your posts besmirching the noble Chocolate Orange but I'm not sure giving you a 6er until you finally give in and start loving the wonderful treat is proportionate.

Teasing aside, I thought Jakabite's post was a bit weird, but if we prob'd people for every weird post we'd have the UK Micro Thread rather than the UK Mega Thread because we'd all be constantly on probation. And yeah, we've a history of dumb Yank mods wading in and trying to treat this thread like it's the US politics thread and it's pretty garbage.

Watching Al Jazeera showing China arguing from the Hague and it's funny hearing the guys well known for lovely behaviour in Xinjiang & Tibet arguing for the right of struggling against colonial occupation and even armed struggle against it

I specifically didn't say it was probe worthy, and ukmt isn't one of the threads where joke probes are really a thing. I was simply stating my dislike of that post, because we're mostly all friends who can communicate with each other. Jakabite is a good poster.

Also if I was a mod or IK i would 100% probe any degenerate pro-chocolate orange posts. Welcome to tiny probe world, forkboy.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I like chocolate orange a lot. I even like all the different varieties of it they do, though some of them lack enough of the orange twang to really feel like they belong under the Terry's label.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jakabite posted:

E: ^^^^what have I missed re: goons killing dogs? Is there a canine focused Jolyon running about

It's nothing particularly spicy, just your usual modding drama. A discussion happens about dog attacks, someone who doesn't like dogs pipes up and makes some comment about actually or hypothetically killing a dog, it either goes unprobed or lightly probed, and then someone makes a SAD thread about whether the poster/thread deserves to be permabanned.

Here's the most recent one:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053316&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I think most of the thread regulars and lurkers probably know that you're nothing like that (if anything when dog discussions come up you're firmly on the "dogs good" side), but if a SAD thread pops up some people can be determined to read things in the absolute worst possible light and "the UKMT manages itself" would be a hinderance rather than a help.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Miftan posted:

I specifically didn't say it was probe worthy, and ukmt isn't one of the threads where joke probes are really a thing. I was simply stating my dislike of that post, because we're mostly all friends who can communicate with each other. Jakabite is a good poster.

Also if I was a mod or IK i would 100% probe any degenerate pro-chocolate orange posts. Welcome to tiny probe world, forkboy.

Yeah and don’t worry, it was taken in the spirit it was meant and I really didn’t want to cause anyone any discomfort. You’re a good posting pal too :) (COUGH APARTT FROM THE CHOCOLATE ORANGE THING COUGU COUGH)

I am very much pro-dog and in fact have my new as of 2 months ago sausage dog with me snuggling as we speak. Though she’s just as I typed that got up so maybe she’s been reading my posts

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Jakabite posted:

Anyway, enough of that. I’m wondering this morning whether there’ll be any actual consequences as a result of yesterday? As it was happening it felt like it might mean something (well not mean something but you know have a consequence and not be immediately irrelevant to the continuing shitstorm of the world), but I feel like it’s just going to be a big old nothing burger. I really think that guy should’ve tried to grab the mace or sat in Lindsay’s seat or something.

Nothings gonna happen to Hoyle, SNP are mad as hell, but I doubt enough Tories are gonna sign a no confidence letter. He's been such a weak speaker, they know it'll be to their benefit to keep him around for the rest of the term.

Comedy outcome is starmer wins the election then sacks him off anyway now he's served his purpose

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

sausage dog
I assume named by the same convention as wolfhounds, foxhounds, otterhounds, and deerhounds, a dog for hunting sausages.

Bavarian Mountain Hounds obviously hunt famous mountains in Bavaria

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The UKMT has a special relationship with D&d mods. In that it feigns independence but step out of line and some lib state department Biden fanboy will pop in and immediately probe you for calling the queen a oval office or something.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I assume named by the same convention as wolfhounds, foxhounds, otterhounds, and deerhounds, a dog for hunting sausages.

Wow I’d not like to get tossed off the top of that

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Everyone adores a Black and Tan Terrier :gerry:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

can't wait to get a Wankpass to take the Wank-Bahn to the Wank-Haus

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You'll have to beat me if you want to get there first

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

keep punching joe posted:

The UKMT has a special relationship with D&d mods. In that it feigns independence but step out of line and some lib state department Biden fanboy will pop in and immediately probe you for calling the queen a oval office or something.

a shadowy cabal of lurkers working as report button pressers sowing chaos and discord

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

can't wait to get a Wankpass
I'd bet money that Starmer is going to try to bring that one back.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/skwawkbox/status/1760612844100370466

quote:

The Speaker position is held during a parliament until death or resignation, but a large proportion of the Commons signing the motion would be likely to put immense pressure on Hoyle to step down.

So there is no mechanism to force a Speaker's removal. That surprised me.

quote:

Update: in the few minutes since this article was published, the number of MPs has risen to 57.

e: Link to the parliament webpage - https://edm.parliament.uk/early-day-motion/61908

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 22, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They all look poo poo squabbling pointlessly whilst gazans die. Pointing to their own safety as the reason why they all needed a safe space to vote whilst called 3 OAPs outside an office a baying mob. They all played politics but the biggest problem here was created by the tories, not the speaker.

Every party 's MPs (the three of them) were being given an opportunity to vote, pointlessly but safely, for their parties own version of a ceasefire. Until the tories hosed it by refusing to take part because they didn't have faith in their own amendment.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Jakabite posted:

new as of 2 months ago sausage dog

Why haven’t you posted pics of this dog yet?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They all look poo poo squabbling pointlessly whilst gazans die. Pointing to their own safety as the reason why they all needed a safe space to vote whilst called 3 OAPs outside an office a baying mob. They all played politics but the biggest problem here was created by the tories, not the speaker.

Every party 's MPs (the three of them) were being given an opportunity to vote, pointlessly but safely, for their parties own version of a ceasefire. Until the tories hosed it by refusing to take part because they didn't have faith in their own amendment.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Get Hoyle to step down, then replace him with someone from the SNP.
That would lead to some amazing PMQ's.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Get Hoyle to step down, then replace him with someone from the SNP.
That would lead to some amazing PMQ's.

I doubt the SNP would want to give up one of their small number of votes.

So the only logical solution is to appoint a speaker from Sinn Fein, as they don’t vote.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Looking extremely red, Sir!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe greyhounds can be employed as some sort of Logan's Run dystopia

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1760598084210319482

Yay. Work is going to set me free :toot:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

Sorta makes sense.
If you could vote them out, the majority would just put in their own stooge and you'd have one side shouting insults with no ramifications,
while the other would get struck if they coughed at the wrong moment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean they are elected by the majority so that's not really protection against that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

radmonger posted:

I doubt the SNP would want to give up one of their small number of votes.

So the only logical solution is to appoint a speaker from Sinn Fein, as they don’t vote.

Alison Johnstone, former co-convenor of the Scottish Greens, is currently the Presiding Officer at Holyrood, despite that being 1/8th of their MSPs

fuctifino posted:

Of course not, that's how our parliament works. It's all precedent & tradition & unwritten rules & the hope that an MP will do what's best & follow those rules. A Speaker should quit when they no longer have the support of the House, & because our MPs are selfless & honourable gentlemen (& ladies) they'd never breech them. Like by siding with the government-in-waiting on a motion that might have inconvenienced them. Oops.

It's incredibly silly. Well, no, it's downright moronic.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

As Owlfancier pointed out, speakers are elected by majority vote. It seems strange that there isn't a mechanism to remove a speaker if they become rogue. The only way I can see it happening is for the PM to dissolve parliament and call a GE, yet everyone else including the PM can be removed in-between terms.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hit them with the Big Mace

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kind of surprised no-one's posted this to laugh at yet: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/21/the-hidden-life-of-keir-starmer

(tw: very large pic of keef at top of page)

quote:

how the online snobs – largely from the left – mock his accent and call him “Keith”

dude I call him Keith because a) Ha'aretz did and I don't want to be antisemitic and b) Keir was my Liverpudlian working-class granny's surname and she'd despise him as much as I do so gently caress off yours sincerely an online leftist

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

dude I call him Keith because a) Ha'aretz did and I don't want to be antisemitic and b) Keir was my Liverpudlian working-class granny's surname and she'd despise him as much as I do so gently caress off yours sincerely an online leftist
People mocked him for saying "my father was a toolmaker", which libs took as an insult to his working class upbringing and not the fact that he repeats that fact in every other sentence and it feels so insincere that you wonder where the truth starts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah I see that the Guardian has discovered that

Mebh posted:

Keir is a normal man with a normal face and a normal house. Just like all of you.

killerwhat posted:

Why haven’t you posted pics of this dog yet?
Yes, it is required to post sausej dog :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gorn Myson posted:

People mocked him for saying "my father was a toolmaker", which libs took as an insult to his working class upbringing and not the fact that he repeats that fact in every other sentence and it feels so insincere that you wonder where the truth starts.

His dad made a tool all right

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

fuctifino posted:

As Owlfancier pointed out, speakers are elected by majority vote. It seems strange that there isn't a mechanism to remove a speaker if they become rogue. The only way I can see it happening is for the PM to dissolve parliament and call a GE, yet everyone else including the PM can be removed in-between terms.

Parliament can do literally anything with 50%+1 of the votes, which the govt is very likely to have. The mechanism for removing the speaker is just passing a law saying "the sitting PM can remove the speaker" which just formalises the process which is already available to them.

I suppose there are some MPs who are decorum brained enough to not go along with their party on it, but I don't know if any of them actually have the spine to follow through if it's a 3 line whip.

Like forkboy said, it's all precedent and unwritten rules which is very very stupid, but any parliament doesn't need a specific mechanism to do something, they can just legislate around it l.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That's fair. I think I get it now.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Holy lol. That Keith article is incredible.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So there isn't a mechanism available for a government to remove the speaker but starmer (although not starmer because he's too thick) fixed the voting yesterday by threatening to have the speaker removed once they were in government?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So there isn't a mechanism available for a government to remove the speaker but starmer (although not starmer because he's too thick) fixed the voting yesterday by threatening to have the speaker removed once they were in government?

Each parliament votes for a new speaker. If the rumour is true, then Starmer would just instruct his MPs to vote for someone else after the next GE

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Following a general election the speaker would be removed and require re-election.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Jakabite posted:

Not sure if here is the place to post about this and apologies if not but some mod who I’ve never heard of probed me for my post about pulling a dogs legs apart in a dog attack, with the probe reason just being ‘what?’. I didn’t think it was that egregious (a little nasty sure but it wasn’t a nice topic) as it was on topic and it wasn’t like I was suggesting this would be an enjoyable experience, but I mainly bring it up because aren’t mods meant to leave this thread alone? Not sure what’s happened there.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

Following a general election the speaker would be removed and require re-election.

Yep, Hoyle wants to stay in the seat so he has to pacify the party that will have the next majority.