Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Baddog posted:

I mean that would be nice, but at this point that's pure fantasy. I think plenty of hospitals even rehired all the chuds who got fired for not getting vaccinated, didn't they? The person reporting the situation that kicked off this discussion wants to be anonymous, because they are afraid.

We *all* should be calling our local hospitals and pushing them on their covid policies, not just the immune compromised. I don't understand what you are not getting about "the time to push for policy change is when you are healthy(ish), not when you need someone to change your wet bedsheets". At that point you're absolutely at their mercy, and some of them are vindictive and petty as gently caress. This isn't just a masking issue - getting on the wrong side of someone when you are in pain is surprisingly easy. That's part of why you need a friend there, to hopefully smooth things over and mediate and remember to say "please and thank you" for you. Or just to run down and get a blanket off the stack, instead of you hammering the call button and becoming "omg that guy in 4 wants something AGAIN." I'm talking practical advice here, not theory crafting a perfect world where the overwhelming percentage of the population who are assholes have all been fired.

If you think that calling your hospital and asking about their covid policy is also useless, that's fair. But at least it's doing something, rather than just "those nurses and/or doctors are who are responsible for such treatment ought to be named and fired the end"

the anecdote under discussion was an immune compromised lady who got put in a psych er because she asked her hcws to mask. you responded to that incident by saying

quote:

That being said, gotta trust your own masks these days. You really need health care workers on your side, can't be leading off with demands on them, unfortunately.

That attitude can gently caress off, it's straight up victim blaming horse poo poo. People can and should ask for HCWs to mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Zantie posted:

Up up up!!!!

Thanks for posting the warning

Baddog
May 12, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

the anecdote under discussion was an immune compromised lady who got put in a psych er because she asked her hcws to mask. you responded to that incident by saying

That attitude can gently caress off, it's straight up victim blaming horse poo poo. People can and should ask for HCWs to mask.

Do you see that word "demand" I used? You can *ask*, but I think you should be prepared for a negative answer and be ready to figure out how to turn that poo poo around somehow. Something other than "call the patient advocate", because it seems to be official policy almost everywhere that they don't have to mask for anyone.

Personally, when they see me masking and they don't bother to put one on, I believe that's already declaring "gently caress you". One time I did get asked why I was masking, and then I got *grilled* to see if my reason was good enough for the staff to consider worthy. And then they masked. I felt like that was humiliating as poo poo, although I guess I was grateful? But the air in there already has virus if someone is sick, so whatever. gently caress. It sucks, but I don't think you are understanding that you are not really in a position to *demand* much when you are seeking care.

Be angry at someone else. Call your local hospital and ask them to make masking universal again, stop infecting the people they are supposed to be treating.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm not fond of really sweet things like that but I'll try something similar though- I got some riccola lozenges for my throat and it seems to help for a short while. I'll get something that tastes better. Thanks!

edit: Actually I wonder if something like red hots would work? I'll give it a shot. I don't like going to the market even masked for long. I don't want to spread anything :(

I've been recommending sugar free gum (specifically Trident) to my pax'd up friends as another option to jolly ranchers/mints/etc. better for the teeth and probably enough flavors to find one you don't mind. consensus seems to be it's relatively helpful with the paxmouth taste

also: the most intense paxmouth occurs a few hours after taking the dose, so if you can do something like dose at 10pm and sleep at 11pm, you can sleep through the most intense part for half the doses probably

some friends have also said the first two days seem more intense then the remainder. good luck!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Baddog posted:

Do you see that word "demand" I used? You can *ask*, but I think you should be prepared for a negative answer and be ready to figure out how to turn that poo poo around somehow. Something other than "call the patient advocate", because it seems to be official policy almost everywhere that they don't have to mask for anyone.

There's no plan you can make, magic words you can say, manager you can call, or strategy you can use to make a hospital value a life that it refuses to value. "Be ready to figure it out" implies it's figure-out-able, but it's not.

I could point out that the safest and probably most life-preserving move an immune compromised person with a non-immediately-life-threatening issue could make at an ER where the staff refuse to mask up if you ask them is to simply get up and leave and maybe try another ER or an urgent care and see if you have better luck before you get yourself labeled with the "this person deserves death" chart entries or infected with COVID, but that's further just implying that the people being victimized here can actually do something productive about this, and they really can't. A lot of people either don't have a second option or can't get to one and are simply going to have to make a hosed as hell game time decision between how bad is this health issue really and can I go home with it and try to tough it out sans medical help behind door number one and this behind door number two

https://x.com/HaroldJ_NEPA/status/1760355328653148565?s=20

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
yo you both are super good. talking past each other happens. it's expected in this mess. the important thing is in real life situations both of you clearly would be much better off relying on the other as opposed to upon nearly anyone else. cherish that

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's been an explosion in cryptosporidiosis cases (gastroenteritis caused by parasites, usually picked up in public pools) across Australia. The caseload is already more than twice as high as the total for all of 2023

quote:

There have been 498 cases of the disease recorded in NSW so far this year.

This is a nearly 500 per cent increase from the previous five-year average of 95 cases during the same time period.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-13/nsw-health-alert-cryptosporidiosis-cases/103460468

quote:

More than 1,500 cases of the water-borne parasite cryptosporidium have been reported across [Queensland] so far this year, more than for the whole of 2023.

All regions have recorded a significant rise in cases, with a 4,000 per cent increase in Mackay and a 491 per cent increase on the Darling Downs compared to the five-year average.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-22/parasite-explosion-putting-queensland-children-in-hospital/103499956

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Maybe we're too negative about measles. An measles infection wipes clean *all* of your immune memory and you have to re-take every vaccine again.

That includes the Covid boosters and shots. If we look at this positively instead of dwell on the negative, it means we can just reformulate the Covid shots to JN.1 and we won't have to worry about OAS anymore!

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
Huh, just found out that @falconryfinance straight up plagiarized some of my posts here and in the old thread.

Very cool. My dude I've got less than 100 followers on Twitter, 57 on tumblr (my old account where I had cross posted the long essays was deleted out of nowhere in December and I had 390 followers there) and you've got 41k. Kind of a lovely thing to steal the work of a disabled guy with no following.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Seriously the second order effects of the government not facilitating isolation for infected people are some of the most morally horrific.

having to care for yourself or your loved ones and then also doing that in the context of being a potential walking viral bomb is agonizing. Death to America basically.

On the plus side I made a donation to a collective in Chicago area and got one of their stickers so (timely) it's joining Lulu on my new to me laptop. Clean Air Club helps bands and artists have safer shows. Not ironclad obvi but they're like a tool library for purifiers :3

oh no lulu

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hellequin posted:

Huh, just found out that @falconryfinance straight up plagiarized some of my posts here and in the old thread.

Very cool. My dude I've got less than 100 followers on Twitter, 57 on tumblr (my old account where I had cross posted the long essays was deleted out of nowhere in December and I had 390 followers there) and you've got 41k. Kind of a lovely thing to steal the work of a disabled guy with no following.

The guy was permabanned something like a decade ago and still obsessively reads this forum, his life is its own punishment.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The guy was permabanned something like a decade ago and still obsessively reads this forum, his life is its own punishment.

poo poo is he Guy Mann or am I thinking of someone else.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hellequin posted:

poo poo is he Guy Mann or am I thinking of someone else.

Martin Random

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oh poo poo lmao, yeah JN.1.23 is definitely gonna be the next big one

https://twitter.com/JPWeiland/status/1760513382472372608

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
ah the peaceful march toward mildness :blessed:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

The magnets represents the virus and the ACE2 receptor, and the apple is your antibodies standing in between

https://i.imgur.com/YVNcOn2.mp4

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1760684643807027352

Seems like an easy job for an intern. Just delete everything that doesn't say anything about handwashing

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Wow, another Ooof Wolff?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Soap Scum posted:

I've been recommending sugar free gum (specifically Trident) to my pax'd up friends as another option to jolly ranchers/mints/etc. better for the teeth and probably enough flavors to find one you don't mind. consensus seems to be it's relatively helpful with the paxmouth taste

also: the most intense paxmouth occurs a few hours after taking the dose, so if you can do something like dose at 10pm and sleep at 11pm, you can sleep through the most intense part for half the doses probably

some friends have also said the first two days seem more intense then the remainder. good luck!

Yeah I'm doing 7AM/8PM for the doses for sure. And the trident gum is a great suggestion! Thanks!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

loving thing is kiting our population immune response like its a WoW raid

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I'm doing 7AM/8PM for the doses for sure. And the trident gum is a great suggestion! Thanks!
Ime waking up is the worst, regardless of when you take it or sleep, just because it’s had so much time to build up. I would get up in the night to pee and slap in a sugar-free cough drop before I went back to bed. It got to the point I was unwrapping them before bed so I had to think less at 4am

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

NeonPunk posted:

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1760684643807027352

Seems like an easy job for an intern. Just delete everything that doesn't say anything about handwashing

Much as I dislike the CDC's covid tact, I wouldn't read anything too nefarious into this. No one ever wants to pay for a content strategist, so old dead content just accumulates on a website until it's bloated and impossible to navigate. At that point the easiest way forward is just to burn the current site down and start again on a new site. I've seen it so many times.

Anne Whateley posted:

Ime waking up is the worst, regardless of when you take it or sleep, just because it’s had so much time to build up. I would get up in the night to pee and slap in a sugar-free cough drop before I went back to bed. It got to the point I was unwrapping them before bed so I had to think less at 4am

Anyone else never get pax mouth? For me it was just "90% better 12 hours later".

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Anyone else never get pax mouth? For me it was just "90% better 12 hours later".

I had a very mild case of pax mouth that I recall, didn't buy any jolly ranchers or anything, didn't really impact me much but I did notice a taste change from the pax for sure. I did start feeling better next day as well, it was an awesome medication - so glad we still have easy access to the tools :v:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is the fourth January now where we're being told that everything is back to normal after years of lockdowns, so I figured I'd pull out this all time hit and look at the date

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

oh no, a coffee homeopath

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

tangy yet delightful posted:

I had a very mild case of pax mouth that I recall, didn't buy any jolly ranchers or anything, didn't really impact me much but I did notice a taste change from the pax for sure. I did start feeling better next day as well, it was an awesome medication - so glad we still have easy access to the tools :v:

Yeah I'm starting to feel better, but now it's more like a really lovely cold- my throat is more sore, sinuses occasionally swell up enough that I can barely breath from my nose etc. Hopefully these symptoms will diminish more by tomorrow.

What's the consensus on when to take another covid test when on Pax? I know a negative won't mean I'm still not infectious but I also don't want to use one if it's too early.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

You don't take a test on pax. Wait until you complete the full course first then test a day after the last dose. If you still have symptoms afterwards like a week from now, test again

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

NeonPunk posted:

You don't take a test on pax. Wait until you complete the full course first then test a day after the last dose.

Groovy- thanks

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I'm starting to feel better, but now it's more like a really lovely cold- my throat is more sore, sinuses occasionally swell up enough that I can barely breath from my nose etc. Hopefully these symptoms will diminish more by tomorrow.

What's the consensus on when to take another covid test when on Pax? I know a negative won't mean I'm still not infectious but I also don't want to use one if it's too early.

Well given you start pax ideally within 5 days of symptoms and it's 5 days of medication and being infectious for 10 days is a pretty standard length of time for proper covid isolation..I wouldn't bother testing till day 10/11 at the earliest.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If you still actively have symptoms then what's the point?

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I recommend to continue to mask and isolate in the good days after pax and before phase 2. The timing shows that I most likely infected my wife in that time. I stopped isolating after 48hrs of negative tests and we had a nice Sunday as a family. Monday and Tuesday I started getting symptoms and returned to isolation. My wife started feeling symptoms around Wednesday.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

True, true, I'm just not sure what to expect since this is my first usage of Pax (and my 2nd time getting covid).

Also, does Pax make one sleepy? I got a good night's sleep but I am feeling like I could sleep more today.

Thankfully no diarrhea.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also, does Pax make one sleepy? I got a good night's sleep but I am feeling like I could sleep more today.

That's your body experiencing mild BSL-3 illness.

Sleep as much as you can.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

That's your body experiencing mild BSL-3 illness.

Sleep as much as you can.

:patriot: will do

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

NeonPunk posted:

every time a new variant comes out they say it's 2-10x as transmissible as the previous one, and we're on our 3000th variant... if the original covid had a "power level" of 1, what power level are we up to by this point?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

every time a new variant comes out they say it's 2-10x as transmissible as the previous one, and we're on our 3000th variant... if the original covid had a "power level" of 1, what power level are we up to by this point?

it's not a straight line since immune escaping variants are usually lacking raw ace2 binding efficacy and then a lineage builds binding affinity back up over time until a new widely divergent immune escape variant emerges again and resets the clock.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

The Oldest Man posted:

it's not a straight line since immune escaping variants are usually lacking raw ace2 binding efficacy and then a lineage builds binding affinity back up over time until a new widely divergent immune escape variant emerges again and resets the clock.

see, this is why the pandemic is still ongoing... if we were able to simply say "this one has a power level of 500,000 (frieza's first form)," people might take this disease seriously

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Polo-Rican posted:

over 9000

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Polo-Rican posted:

see, this is why the pandemic is still ongoing... if we were able to simply say "this one has a power level of 500,000 (frieza's first form)," people might take this disease seriously

Nah, what he's saying is that power level is useless when youre comparing it to Covid. It's like saying that Dabura is the most powerful, and yet Buu managed to defeat him with a lower power level by using something different from pure power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Yeah. It's the "flu"

https://twitter.com/jtimberlakepics/status/1760725043766808676