Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

I made the mistake of dismissing reviews similar to that Polygon one about FFXVI but then I ended up agreeing with some of them, so I'm not dismissing it out of hand. I might feel the same once I play it. I hope not, but hey, you never know.
I trust reviewers more who give weight to their criticisms and not try to minimize them in favor of slavering over the rest of the game, which is a big problem with big releases like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So are there any particular reviews that outright spoils stuff that we should be aware of?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The biggest barriers I can see to enjoyment:

A) Minigames - There are a lot of minigames. A loooooot of minigames. The game is generally pretty good about not making you do well in minigames to proceed but there are a lot of them and some weapons and cool content are locked behind them. Like there's one (again, not a plot spoiler, but a reveal that made me clap my loving hands) called Gambits and Gears which is literally you creating FF12 Gambits for robots so they can fight a boss. that absolutely delighted me but I could see it being a barrier if you hate that concept and just want to get past it.

B) Tone shifting - Again, this is a plus for me, but FF7 is not ashamed of shifting tone in a few heartbeats. You can go from something incredibly wacky to something incredibly serious in the span of a couple of heartbeats. Characters can be treated as jokes despite being awful people. Especially if you're not familiar with the original FF7 the insane way it shifts might be bewildering to you.

C) Sidequests - There are a lot. Like a whole lot. An insane number of sidequests. There's tons of minigames, there's the entire Queen's Blade thing which is a fully fleshed out minigame with its own lengthy plot and multiple kinds of gameplay types and 150+ cards to collect. There's Chocobo Hot and Cold, there's like 3 different kinds of combat arenas, there's everything Chadley has, there's a game-length sidequest based around a cameo character, there's one sidequest which is just you pulling a can for a chicken. If you just want to advance the plot you might feel overwhelmed with all the poo poo the game expects you to do, even though you can freely go back and do almost anything that isn't tied to a specific plot sequence even without Chapter Select.

D) Like FF7R the ending is likely to be a thing that either works or doesn't for you, and like FF7R that might be independent from the rest of the game.

E) No Triceratops Tank

Beyond that if you liked FF7R it's really hard to imagine you wouldn't like FF7R2. I'd also argue it is a much, much, much better game than FF16 and I liked FF16.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
How many times does the game force you into a slow walk and what percentage of minigames are in the "robot hands" tier?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

welcome posted:

How many times does the game force you into a slow walk and what percentage of minigames are in the "robot hands" tier?

A couple of times but not like super often. It absolutely does happen though, usually when Cloud is having a brainy wainy issue.

It's kind of hard to say? Most of the minigames are fairly simple but they tend to be a bit more fleshed out than that, but there are a couple which are on that level. Most of them are more involved. Like the sequence in FF7 where the kids were kicking the ball at Red XIII has transformed into Rocket League for example.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

So are there any particular reviews that outright spoils stuff that we should be aware of?

Gamespot and IGN both talk about how they felt about the ending, which might feel spoilery for some.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

Gamespot and IGN both talk about how they felt about the ending, which might feel spoilery for some.

I kind of skimmed the one Gamespot paragraph from a page ago and that seemed no worse than usual, in terms of is it spoilery or not.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lolling at them dropping a teaser of everybody in their swimsuits on the day the embargo is up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

lolling at them dropping a teaser of everybody in their swimsuits on the day the embargo is up

Oh, don't worry.

There are MULTIPLE swimsuits and the ones you pick impact your relationships with characters.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, don't worry.

There are MULTIPLE swimsuits and the ones you pick impact your relationships with characters.

if r1 had plot reactive evening gowns, and r2 has plot reactive swimsuits, clearly r3 will have plot reactive wedding dresses

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Guess I'm gonna watch the ever crisis scenes cause I'm a huge dumb nerd

When you find a decent source, can you post it in the thread?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did someone say Sphere Grid

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Where da spoilers at? I want the spoilers since I won't play this game for years anyway until its on PC

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

haven't even watched the rebirth trailers so no idea what to expect, haven't played the demo either, just waiting.

playing Crisis Core for the first time, Zack is kind of lame.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Like the sequence in FF7 where the kids were kicking the ball at Red XIII has transformed into Rocket League for example.

LMAO this sounds wild.... this sounds like a Yakuza game in style lol, we getting two of these this year i guess

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did someone say Sphere Grid

Yeah, the entire weapon system has been changed.

Weapons now level up as you gain maximum SP. Each time a weapon levels up its stats improve/it unlocks additional materia slots/etc, but it also unlocks Weapon Skill slots, which are equippable abilities. Each weapon has multiple abilities and you can equip 1 (and later more) of them at once, ranging from stuff like bonus HP to boosts to special mode timing and more.

Each character now instead has a Sphere Grid which is what you spend SP on. The grid includes Synergy abilities and skills, new Abilities not tied to weapons, special passives, and eventually maximum limit breaks. You can spend (and refund) SP freely but certain skills/paths are locked unless a character reaches a certain relationship level with Cloud/gains a certain total amount of SP. Short of doing Hard Mode you're not going to have enough SP to fill out everything at once so you'll need to plan your build out to get the maximum effectiveness. (For example you don't need to have Cait Sith and Aerith's Synergy Abilities unlocked if you're not planning on putting them in a team together.)

George H.W. oval office posted:

Where da spoilers at? I want the spoilers since I won't play this game for years anyway until its on PC

There's a spoiler thread (I linked it above) but TBH I'm not going to discuss any spoiler stuff myself so you'll have to depend on people looking through leaks and such.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, don't worry.

Speaking of this, without going into story details, how easy is it to raise your relationship with characters? I know, like the original, who you go on a date with at the Golden Saucer depends on who you have the highest relationship stat with or whatever. If I want to see all the dates, is that something I'd have to start the game over multiple times to do, or is there an easy way to raise your bonds late game that I could abuse?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Speaking of this, without going into story details, how easy is it to raise your relationship with characters? I know, like the original, who you go on a date with at the Golden Saucer depends on who you have the highest relationship stat with or whatever. If I want to see all the dates, is that something I'd have to start the game over multiple times to do, or is there an easy way to raise your bonds late game that I could abuse?

No plot spoilers here:

It's pretty easy to do. Most sidequests have an associated character and if you do them you'll gain friendship with that character. There are certain events where you can gain more, which is the major factor in determining who you go on a date with if you've done all sidequests. You also gain a friendship boost every time you do a unique Synergy attack for the first time as long as it involves Cloud.

Seeing all the dates is easy. Once you finish the game you unlock a bonus menu that lets you pick who your choice of Date is (and if the Date is a standard or a 'intimate' version. That just means close emotionally, you can't bang Cait Sith.), so all you have to do is change it and then replay the date sequence via Chapter menu. You also can see exactly what friendship events you have/haven't done on that character,.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh I guess the biggest questions I had going into the second game:

1. Is there a narrative justification for "Starting over" without all your gear and materia lol

2. I assume Yuffie is no longer a one-woman army so how was she rebalanced

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh I guess the biggest questions I had going into the second game:

1. Is there a narrative justification for "Starting over" without all your gear and materia lol

2. I assume Yuffie is no longer a one-woman army so how was she rebalanced

1. No, honestly, they just went "It's a video game, deal with it."

2. She was not rebalanced. Everyone else was adjusted to bring them up to her level more or less.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That seems like the best option for both, actually lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GateOfD posted:

haven't even watched the rebirth trailers so no idea what to expect, haven't played the demo either, just waiting.

playing Crisis Core for the first time, Zack is kind of lame.

I thought this too when I first played Crisis Core and he completely won me over by the end.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

No plot spoilers here:

Oh, that all sounds great, thanks!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that's whack, why didn't they have Yuffie steal it and lose it or sell it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that's whack, why didn't they have Yuffie steal it and lose it or sell it

Honestly, as much as I wanted it to happen, I think Yuffie straddles a very thin line between funny/charming and annoying and I could very easily see "Whoops, she stole all our poo poo and lost it" putting players over that line even as a joke.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No plot spoilers here:

you can't bang Cait Sith

Cancelling pre-order

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Cancelling pre-order

Look, they have to save something for the third game.

(Also in case you wonder, yes, it's just Kate Sith in the game. His accent is super adorable though.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I should note that there is actually one major cut to the game. It's one that makes sense but it is probably the most obviously absent thing that I'm sure will appear in the next game. I don't really consider "this isn't in the game" a spoiler but just in case:

There is no Rocket Town. The Palmer boss fight still happens, just Rocket Town doesn't appear.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That doesn't surprise me too much, and also explains what people were saying about Cid's assholery being toned down. If Shera hasn't even appeared yet maybe they're just saving that for next time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm pleased with the reviews, since the only "downsides" sound like "lots of open world poo poo and minigames" (this is good because I enjoy wasting huge amount of time in games that have good vibes - it's not like I'm in a hurry to play other things) and "some convoluted plot stuff" (also good because I can do a lot of wrong speculation and watch some guy's 5 hour long Youtube video about it later).

edit: I'm also a sicko who really enjoys dual sense haptics gimmicks, and it seems like this game is going to have a lot of those

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 22, 2024

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i kind of hand waved away Remake's climax as S-E feeling they had to have a big JRPG abyss/void for the finale. I'll lol when I get to the end of this one and there's another, and again at the end of the third game when there's another

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I should note that there is actually one major cut to the game. It's one that makes sense but it is probably the most obviously absent thing that I'm sure will appear in the next game. I don't really consider "this isn't in the game" a spoiler but just in case:

There is no Rocket Town. The Palmer boss fight still happens, just Rocket Town doesn't appear.

Is the truck still there though? That's the important part.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i kind of hand waved away Remake's climax as S-E feeling they had to have a big JRPG abyss/void for the finale. I'll lol when I get to the end of this one and there's another, and again at the end of the third game when there's another

I mean the third game is the one where it’s just expected that there will be a big RPG void battle at the end, isn’t it?
Im still wondering how they plan to give Safer Sephiroth the impact he used to when they already wheeled out One-Winged Angel

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

That’s weird but I guess it makes sense as something to save for game 3, otherwise they would run out of new places for you to go. Now I’m interested to see how they tackle that whole section.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

I mean the third game is the one where it’s just expected that there will be a big RPG void battle at the end, isn’t it?
Im still wondering how they plan to give Safer Sephiroth the impact he used to when they already wheeled out One-Winged Angel

I mean they're going to make Supernova into an absolutely batshit insane setpiece.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That’s weird but I guess it makes sense as something to save for game 3, otherwise they would run out of new places for you to go. Now I’m interested to see how they tackle that whole section.

Cid's stuff is almost entirely rewritten. He's like the one character who just got a big workover, I suspect entirely because of the issues with his initial depiction.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

I decided I was feeling spicy and looked at the IGN thoughts on it and I will say that it feels slightly borderline, particularly if you want to go in blind as possible, so caveat emptor. That said that might be just me.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 22, 2024

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Augus posted:

oh youre so not ready for two-winged angel

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Someone upthread mentioned that Tifa had Deadly Dodge ingrained in her kit now. I haven't played the expanded demo yet, but one of the annoyances I had was how attacking out of a dodge or parrying were locked down to a purple materia. Are there any more purple materia like that in Rebirth? Or even do those skills become part of everyone else's default kits down the road?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

Someone upthread mentioned that Tifa had Deadly Dodge ingrained in her kit now. I haven't played the expanded demo yet, but one of the annoyances I had was how attacking out of a dodge or parrying were locked down to a purple materia. Are there any more purple materia like that in Rebirth? Or even do those skills become part of everyone else's default kits down the road?

Anything like that is baked into someone's kit now. The only thing I'd say is maybe like that is that there are two separate Purple Materia. One will make non-controlled characters use their triangle abilities (and in Tifa's case also her Unyielding Strength ability) when you're not controlling them and another will make them use ATB weapon skills when not controlling them. Neither is essential and not having characters blow ATB on skills you don't want might actually be a benefit depending on how much you like to Micromanage.

For someone like Cait Sith for example you probably don't want him to be using his Triangle skill unhindered because it actually charges up and gets stronger over time so it can be better to preserve it. On the other hand slapping it on Barret is a great idea because he wants to use his poo poo on cooldown, especially once he Sphere Grids into having reduced charge time or "automatically give Protect when Overcharge is used" active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Actually one other thing I do want to praise:

The game is way way better about defining the characters, their personalities, and how they feel about one another than the original game. You get a fair bit of time with characters where Cloud isn't involved at all and it really helps drive home how these characters feel about one another and interact. Tifa and Aerith are best friends in the most adorable way possible, Red XIII is a delightful mix of self-assured and childish, Cait Sith feels immensely genuine and you can see why the cast would actually be willing to have this weird robot cat along, Barret is so much more well rounded as a character, they just loving knocked it out of the park on pretty much every single one of them, including Vincent. Cid is the only one I feel hesitant about and it isn't even that he was done poorly (he wasn't, he's a pretty great character) but just that he's the only one I feel comes across different, instead of just being an absolutely on-the-mark expansion of the original character.

But this applies to basically everyone. They nail almost every character so insanely hard it's ridiculous, and even where they make changes it's generally an improvement. (Words can not express the sheer level of amazing that is Dio for example.) Minor characters get fleshed out in genuinely excellent ways. Elena goes from feeling like a joke to being genuinely loving amazing, and if there was an NPC you loved in FF7 they probably show up here in some absurdly amazing form. The game is just dripping with personality from start to finish and that may be part of why I'm willing to overlook some of the ending stuff I'm not as hot on because everything else is so insanely on the mark. Even the Ever Crisis poo poo I hate isn't like necessarily bad, but I just don't like the gatcha game intruding.