Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
That character is a child for god's sake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DoctorTristan posted:

Pleased to say I have no idea who or what that is

It's from Fortnite

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Stefan Prodan posted:

this is my dad unfortunately

he will literally, no exaggerration, talk for over an hour on the phone while only pausing for long enough for you to say "mm hmm" occasionally and seriously will not stop until my mom interrupts him because they have to go do something. everything he says reminds him of a different 10 minute story he has to tell you right then that you've heard 100 times before

i'll just be waiting for any pause longer than like a second, second and a half that I can jump in and it just never comes

Being around my dad got a lot easier when I realized I could just leave and there was about a 50-50 chance he wouldn't notice

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Take the Hank Venture approach and just leave him on the phone with a vaguely interactive tape recording for hours.

I think you'll find that Arnold Swarzenegger also used this trick with his ex-wife inn Tbe Last Action Hero

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Troublemaker posted:

AITAH for wanting to leave my fiancé?

PetraCore posted:

Girlfriend is insane, it's literally not OP's house.
Hey now, everybody knows that tenants always replace the carpeting and repaint every room of dwellings they live in but don't own, even if the owners don't need/want it. Hell, I carry around a gallon of paint any time I visit a friend's house, just so I can repaint their rooms too.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm with you. She got hosed doing something spectacularly dumb and/or illegal, and this is the cover story.

You can't just walk into a bank branch one day and get $50k cash. Even if you routinely make large cash withdrawals and the banks internal "something is fucky here" controls don't deny the transaction, a bank will still need several days notice to have that much cash ready for you at a branch.

sure you can, just try harder. anna delvey walked into citi national bank and withdrew $100,000, and it was an overdraft.

she basically just acted entitled enough that they raised her her overdraft limit to 100,000 and handed it to her.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shameful :same: in that this was my reflexive thought. At least she's not crushing on Bakugou, I guess.

On a more serious note, I wanted to make a 'In this essay I will' joke, but drat, I think that woman has deeper issues than liking an anime dude and writing NSFW fanfic. I'm no psychologist/sociologist, mind you, but between new social norms recreating social circles, working to support the family and a husband who doesn't seem all thatappreciative, she might just be starved for some kind of supportive network.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 22, 2024

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

CommissarMega posted:

At least she's not crushing on Bakugou, I guess.
My shameful admission is that this was my first thought.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CommissarMega posted:

Shameful :same: in that this was my reflexive thought. At least she's not crushing on Bakugou, I guess.

On a more serious note, I wanted to make a 'In this essay I will' joke, but drat, I think that woman has deeper issues than liking an anime dude and writing NSFW fanfic. I'm no psychologist/sociologist, mind you, but between new social norms recreating social circles, working to support the family and a husband who doesn't seem all thatappreciative, she might just be starved for some kind of supportive network.

I imagine her obsession with Kirishima and the primary focus of her comissioned smut is the fact that he can literally turn rock hard.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

idgi why is everyone jumping on this guy?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

MagusofStars posted:

Hey now, everybody knows that tenants always replace the carpeting and repaint every room of dwellings they live in but don't own, even if the owners don't need/want it. Hell, I carry around a gallon of paint any time I visit a friend's house, just so I can repaint their rooms too.

The funny part is that the parents don't own it either - the OP mentions them paying rent. I am betting the GF doesn't know that.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

babypolis posted:

idgi why is everyone jumping on this guy?

I sort of agree. He’s not dictating who the kids get to be friends with, he’s just suggesting to the other dad that the maturity differences between a new teen and a 4th grader are going to cause these kinds of conflicts. And unless “just want to throw them a pizza and zone out” means “get drunk and high and not leave my bedroom” then expecting kids that age to entertain themselves without direct supervision at a sleep-over seems reasonable.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Would I be the AH if I paid off half our mortgage with inheritance money but still made my spouse pay what they've been paying, and put the extra in my personal account?

quote:

My dad is well-off. There are 4 of us children. We are all grown and have our own families. Dad wants to gift each family $250,000. The only catch is that we must apply it to our mortgages. If the money pays off a house, we can spend any leftover money however we see fit.

For my family, it cuts the mortgage in half. When we refinance the mortgage, we'll be saving $1,200 per month.

We have separate bank accounts. I pay the mortgage; my spouse pays for everything else because it works out the same. We split extras like vacations and things for our kids down the middle. I think I should get to keep the entire $1,200 savings every month, while my spouse thinks I should split the profit by putting $600 towards the bills they pay, and I only keep $600 for myself.

Would I be the AH if I tell my spouse that since my father gave me the money, I get to keep the entire $1,200 per month savings for myself while my spouse continues to pay what they've been paying all along?

EDIT: Formatting of paragraphs and typo that misgendered.

Imagine what investing that $1200 a month into NFTs and AI could do!

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I would ask if he felt like if the mortgage was entirely paid off, he doesn’t have to contribute money to household expenses but I don’t want to give him any ideas.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
If the dad has to stipulate a rule like that, the son and/or other kids probably have a history of being morons with money.

e: yeah they didn't specify gender, but I'm going to take a wild guess that it's a dude with an extensive Funko-Pop collection.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

cat botherer posted:

If the dad has to stipulate a rule like that, the son and/or other kids probably have a history of being morons with money.

e: yeah they didn't specify gender, but I'm going to take a wild guess that it's a dude with an extensive Funko-Pop collection.

Can't have a Funko room unless you buy a $500k+ house

mystes
May 31, 2006

If they didn't keep their finances separate already that would definitely be a lovely move.

Given that they keep their finances separate, I don't know? Like maybe if you're keeping all your finances separate and not just money from before the marriage it makes sense that the money should pay off the OP's share of the mortgage and the spouse should keep paying if the goal is to be able to divorce at a moment's notice with minimal financial entanglement or whatever?

But I don't really understand how people can be married and have that sort of approach to their finances in the first place. (How can that kind of relationship possibly work?)

And if the whole idea of keeping separate bank accounts was from the OP in the first place, and I was the spouse and had just grudgingly going along with it, I would probably be starting to have second thoughts.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 22, 2024

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Anyone know what "coloring book" might be slang for? My(39F) husband (41M) got a weird email that makes no sense.

quote:

Things have been a bit rocky in our relationship lately. We keep having these ridiculous arguments. And lately in the heat of anger my husband has thrown some pretty nasty words at me. I'm fearing that he is checking out.

I don't have any proof he is cheating or looking to. BUT, I keep having this awful gut wrench over it, even when things are seemingly going very well.

Saw a weird email he got last night from his buddy who owns a tactical gear shop. The title was "coloring book!" And the body of the email said "enjoy your book!." There was no attachment on the email.

My husband went to visit this guy at his shop last night. The email came through at 7:30 pm. My husband was home much later then that, had he left the shop at 7:30 he would have been home at 8:00 and instead he arrived home around 9:00. He also got kind of avoidant when I asked him how his visit was. His response was odd and just not typical.

Also my husband would NOT buy an actual coloring book and our son is 12 and no longer interested in coloring books.

What could this possibly mean?! Is there some tactical slang that I'm unaware of?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Propaniac posted:

Anyone know what "coloring book" might be slang for? My(39F) husband (41M) got a weird email that makes no sense.

Combined with the book smuggling post from a few days ago and clearly "coloring book" is new slang for hard drugs

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Propaniac posted:

I bought a coloring book for a friend who does work at home phone support for a healthcare company which is grueling, and she colors to relax while handling a stressful call.

But uh this doesn't sound like that

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

r/relationships: my husband would NOT buy an actual coloring book

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Turns out he's been hiding his crippling coloring book addiction for years. Pity she had to find out like this.

:sever:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

mystes posted:

If they didn't keep their finances separate already that would definitely be a lovely move.

Given that they keep their finances separate, I don't know? Like maybe if you're keeping all your finances separate and not just money from before the marriage it makes sense that the money should pay off the OP's share of the mortgage and the spouse should keep paying if the goal is to be able to divorce at a moment's notice with minimal financial entanglement or whatever?

But I don't really understand how people can be married and have that sort of approach to their finances in the first place. (How can that kind of relationship possibly work?)

And if the whole idea of keeping separate bank accounts was from the OP in the first place, and I was the spouse and had just grudgingly going along with it, I would probably be starting to have second thoughts.

I can't help but look at this situation and wonder why he feels like he needs to pocket $1200/mo instead of being happy with the $600/mo. Absent other context, it feels like greed is just wrecking this dude right now.

My recollection is that if two people are on a mortgage, the responsibility for the payments is joint. You can't write it in such a way that one person is responsible for the payments and the other person owns all the equity. I guess you might be able to write some external contract as part of the refi that says "if wife defaults on mortgage, all remaining equity in the house gets divided up by this formula" but good grief, my guy, you are building a mountain of tension in your marriage just to keep money out of the pocket of someone who you, in theory, love. Just assume that Dad wants you both to be richer and enjoy your $600/mo savings.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
i want to be married, but i also want to view that marriage as an ~~~investment opportunity~~~

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
AITA for sleeping with night lights?

quote:

My boyfriend (M18) and I (F19) visited his family for a week during the holidays. I knew I was bothering his family so I bought gifts for his parents and I crocheted a handbag for his sister to show my gratitude. Everything seemed fine when I met his family, but the problem started when, during this vacation, I shared a room with his sister (F16). I have a habit of sleeping with a night light because I'm afraid of darkness, and I also stay up quite late. The first night, I asked his little sister what time she usually sleeps and she said it depends, so I just let her sleep whenever she wanted to sleep.

The first night I left the night light dim, and she didn't say anything or tell me to turn off the light, but then around 2 a.m., I saw her covering her head with a blanket. I guess she had trouble sleeping so I turned off the light just to be sure because I didn't know what she wanted. After that night, her attitude gradually changed negatively towards me, and then my boyfriend told me she was complaining to him that she couldn't sleep because I left the night light on until 2 AM.

I was like, why doesn’t she tell me instead of talking through my boyfriend? He said she usually doesn't tell the person she has a problem directly, but instead complains to someone else. So on the second night, I proactively said sorry to her, and I turned off the night light completely to sleep in the dark (which resulted in me having a nightmare, but I didn't complain about it). Yet the next day she didn't say a word to me during the whole trip and I always had the feeling that she didn't like my presence.

On the third night, I had an assignment due at midnight, so I had to do it. However, I still turned off all the lights, and I tried to finish my work quickly so she could sleep (my laptop’s brightness was 0%). I had trouble sleeping after finishing my homework, so I watched a movie on my phone but turned off the sound completely and read the subtitles. Then around 2am-3am I went to the washroom and that's it.

I thought everything was normal, but then tonight, my boyfriend and I were watching a movie in my room when his mother called him out to talk, and he told me later that his sister was complaining I left the light on until 2 AM last night and she couldn't sleep so she was upset, then because of that my boyfriend’s parents were upset at him. That’s not true and I tried to explain the situation, but he told me his mother said, if I want to do homework, why don't I go to the kitchen?

Tbh, if you don't say it, how can people read your mind? And the thing is that from beginning to end I didn't hear a single word being said directly to me, it was all through my boyfriend, and his little sister was always cold towards me. I admit that I was wrong, but I also deserve a straightforward feedback or just a simple "Can you turn off the light?" instead of just an underline unsatisfactory attitude like that. AITA here?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Would I be the AH if I paid off half our mortgage with inheritance money but still made my spouse pay what they've been paying, and put the extra in my personal account?

Dad's a financial moron. It looks like it might be genetic. Happily, if OP continues on this path he won't pass on his genes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for sleeping with night lights?

Easy solution sleep with your boyfriend instead of giving into probably his parents insane rule that you have to have separate rooms while visiting.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I can't help but look at this situation and wonder why he feels like he needs to pocket $1200/mo instead of being happy with the $600/mo. Absent other context, it feels like greed is just wrecking this dude right now.

My recollection is that if two people are on a mortgage, the responsibility for the payments is joint. You can't write it in such a way that one person is responsible for the payments and the other person owns all the equity. I guess you might be able to write some external contract as part of the refi that says "if wife defaults on mortgage, all remaining equity in the house gets divided up by this formula" but good grief, my guy, you are building a mountain of tension in your marriage just to keep money out of the pocket of someone who you, in theory, love. Just assume that Dad wants you both to be richer and enjoy your $600/mo savings.
I imagine that the OP is just looking at it like this:
"It's money I'm receiving and we have separate bank accounts, so if there was no restriction on how it's used, it would go into my account and not be split. However, because of the stipulation that it be applied to the mortgage, I have to pay off half the mortgage. Therefore, since it's "my money" I will have paid off my half of the mortgage, and my spouse should continue paying off their half"

Again, I'm not saying this is a good way to handle money in a marriage, but if you're already handling money that way for some bizarre reason and it's important that they both pay exactly half of everything, maybe it kind of makes sense?

But if they're arguing about it, presumably the spouse doesn't agree so the OP probably needs to stop being so ridiculous about managing their money separately

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Admiral Joeslop posted:

unfortunately i can kind of see where this guy might be coming from. their arrangement doesn't appear to be structured around equal burden, just equal numbers. like imagine if, instead of the huge one-time gift from his old man, he got lucky and scored a job where he made twice as much as he does now. or even just got a big (not $250k big of course lol) bonus. under their arrangement he'd get to keep the extra money, even though he'd have a bunch more discretionary income.

imo this is the problem with separate finances in a marriage. it might seem fair at the moment of creation based on where the two parties are at but as soon as there's any shift in circumstances suddenly it's not going to feel as fair. and that makes sense that it would stop feeling fair, because you loving married and if you don't want to share the burdens and windfalls of life then why the gently caress did you sign the paper and say the vows??

that said i think this guy's the rear end in a top hat because his dad's presenting it as a "gift for the family" and this guy's taking advantage of his prior arrangement to turn it into a gift for himself. and i bet if the arrangement had been the other way, where his wife was making the mortgage payments and he was paying 'everything else', he'd be big mad at her if she tried to do what he's trying to do.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

We got another one!

AITA for breaking up with my fiance just because he is dumb ?

quote:

I 25f, grew up in a pretty strict Asian household where academics were everything. I have 2 BSc degrees and a masters all from the most prestigious colleges. The only activity I was allowed as a kid were piano and fencing since they would look good on college application.

So when I met my ex through mutuals, it was like a whole new world for me.

He was soo much fun, an extrovert who let his intrusive thoughts win kind of guy. Being with him was an escape from reality to me. We would always try and explore different places, activies, food, and so on. To conclude he was the complete opposite was me which I was attracted to.

After a year of dating he asked me to marry him during a surprise engagement party where he invited around 50 people(all his friends). Well in the heat of the moment and everyone shouting I said yes.

When I recollected and organized my thoughts about how I feel about living with him I just couldn't imagine it

I work at a MNC and have a high paying job, which in return causes a lot of pressure and work stress. When I try to talk to him about my day and work he is always soo disinterested and thinks I am boasting about my job.

A random instance I remember is when I was talking about the gas prices increasing because of Ukraine, to which he followed up asking WHO is Ukraine.

I like having conversations about current events, politics or even a book I just finished reading, but he has absolutely no intrest or even tries to gain knowledge about anything.

I also realized we never really had any real conversation, except for gossiping about people I suppose.

Well, I told my fiance about how I don't see myself spending the rest of my life with someone I can't hold normal conversations with. We broke up, it was pretty peaceful.

Or so I thought, the next day he brought all his friends to trash my place, curse at me, saying I always looked down on him, and that I am an rear end in a top hat for leaving him because I think he is dumb. So am I ?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
it should be less about who brings in more and more about an equitable split of time on things - because if you do it the way that OP is, and one of you starts earning more, you eventually create a class system within your own drat marriage lol. At least have enough respect for each other to value each other's time equally regardless of what your loving boss pays, goddamn.

And hell, if one or both people in the partnership is disabled, then it switches again and it's about who has the spoons atm to get things done, not the most money or time.

The idea is you're banding together to pool resources and help each other survive, that's kinda the whole social foundation of what family is. if you are supposed to be equal partners in the household, but one of you is living comfortably and the other just barely getting by, that seems loving whackadoo as a relationship to me. Why would you want your partner to keep toiling when you can lift them out of that?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 22, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mystes posted:

I imagine that the OP is just looking at it like this:
"It's money I'm receiving and we have separate bank accounts, so if there was no restriction on how it's used, it would go into my account and not be split. However, because of the stipulation that it be applied to the mortgage, I have to pay off half the mortgage. Therefore, since it's "my money" I will have paid off my half of the mortgage, and my spouse should continue paying off their half"

Again, I'm not saying this is a good way to handle money in a marriage, but if you're already handling money that way for some bizarre reason and it's important that they both pay exactly half of everything, maybe it kind of makes sense?

But if they're arguing about it, presumably the spouse doesn't agree so the OP probably needs to stop being so ridiculous about managing their money separately

i think there's two conflicting definitions of separate finances at work here. In one, it means you have two bank accounts and two sources of income, so you don't have to negotiate day-to-day spending, and pool resources on the really big common stuff (like a house, or an inheritance). In the other, you're entirely financially isolated and can shove hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt off onto your spouse and expect that somehow this isn't going to affect your standard of living much the same as if you split the load, except with lots more resentment?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
r/relationships: to which he followed up asking WHO is Ukraine.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

r/relationships: to which he followed up asking WHO is Ukraine.

Make it so :hmmyes:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

WHY is Ukraine?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moon Slayer posted:

We got another one!

I really want to know what this dude did for a living

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I feel like not enough ink was spilled on "brought all his friends to trash my place" ? The heck?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

oh jay posted:

WHY is Ukraine?

WHEN is Ukraine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Moon Slayer posted:

We got another one!

Can we appreciate the fact that it took him a full day to realize she broke up with him because he was dumb. It took that man 24 hours to process how dumb he is.