Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

apparently you can make it draw white people by mentioning fried chicken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

post hole digger posted:

word spreads fast...

yeah see. ny post is the paper of choice for racists that think they're not racist

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

BMan posted:

apparently you can make it draw white people by mentioning fried chicken

lol oh nooo

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah see. ny post is the paper of choice for racists that think they're not racist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDYjWh_dh9E

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Akratic Method posted:

Tremendous job with the swastika on the black nazi's helmet

wouldn't be surprised if it has measures to stop it drawing accurate ones

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

accurate

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
the model is simply confusing george washington with george washington carver

the difference is peanuts, really

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Internet Janitor posted:

hahah

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

:golfclap:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Beeftweeter posted:

it's not wrong to try and expand the scope of diversity representation in its images, but it is definitely wrong to say "here's an historically accurate picture of a medieval british king" and show a black guy or multiracial nazis, etc.

i mean right but given the obvious fact that the AI can't know that british kings arent black, i think the solution of "just draw a bunch of different ethnicities for everything" is a less wrong solution overall

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

one could ask for the king to be holding fried chicken. then the woke combination would be forced to have a white king. not sure if the fried chicken itself would be historically accurate, but you do what you can

also, i like the idea of making life just a _bit_ irritating for white guys. the reversal of fortune seems only fair

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

i mean right but given the obvious fact that the AI can't know that british kings arent black, i think the solution of "just draw a bunch of different ethnicities for everything" is a less wrong solution overall
yeah I think it's reasonable

People keep getting mad that it's possible to intentionally get ai to generate offensive stuff but I don't think that's really what matters (if you buy a pen, surely that pen shouldn't be expected to stop you from writing nazi propaganda with it)

The thing they need to minimize is it being racist in normal use and having it always draw different ethnicities seems like a good way to achieve that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mystes posted:

if you buy a pen, surely that pen shouldn't be expected to stop you from writing nazi propaganda with it

idk maybe if its possible that'd be ok?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

rotor posted:

idk maybe if its possible that'd be ok?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Remember how upset people were that you could be a woman in battlefield 5?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

post hole digger posted:

word spreads fast...

all of those things sound cool as hell though, maybe you should try being cool some time new york post

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Internet Janitor posted:

hehe

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Internet Janitor posted:

gdi

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

i get your reasoning here, but the broader issue imo is that it would refuse to render them as white people entirely

i imagine there's a lot of source material for "medieval british royalty" that would tend to bias it towards that descriptor applying exclusively to white people, same wrt "a nazi german soldier circa 1940" or whatever. that's not a knock on diverse representation, just the reality that both of those institutions are/were grotesquely racist, and to claim any sort of accuracy (as it did in the screenshots), it needs to reflect that

like i said, i'm not saying that i think it's wrong to strive for or even make more diverse representations — on the contrary, but at the very least this particular implementation seems to be causing more problems than it solves imo

e: by confirming the woke-scold's worst fears about the internet trying to wokeify them/THE CHILDREN or whatever, if that wasn't clear previously

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 22, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Janitor posted:

:dadjoke:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

rotor posted:

It can't know what a king is either, but all the pictures have crowns.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well, it did also draw someone female-presenting. but they're all regal too, so it got that part right at least

really it just seems like they went way overboard on the "make sure this includes people of color and/or women" slider

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

It can't know what a king is either, but all the pictures have crowns.

i think y'all can see where this goes but Ima duck out of this convo for now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
why a duck?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also at&t's issues seem to be fixed now but i looked into this

The Fool posted:

not a networking person but I would expect wifi calling to be routed differently since the initial connection would be coming from whichever isp the internet service is coming from

it registers using something similar to SIP on att.net anyway, so it's going through whatever gateway they have set up to the telephone network. i didn't look into it more broadly than that but it wouldn't surprise me if that were entirely different from the way calls are routed from towers. obviously i have no idea how it actually works though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

autocorrect!!! :argh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

hmm strongly reminiscent of

mmm. microsoft pus

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

really it just seems like they went way overboard on the "make sure this includes people of color and/or women" slider

not to let this escape the AI containment thread but I noticed a while back on a bing prompt of 'basketball card for "Bat Mann" angrily slam-dunking into the Joker' that it threw the text "ethnniclly ambigaous" [sic] beneath a black Batman.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Video Nasty posted:

not to let this escape the AI containment thread but I noticed a while back on a bing prompt of 'basketball card for "Bat Mann" angrily slam-dunking into the Joker' that it threw the text "ethnniclly ambigaous" [sic] beneath a black Batman.

lol, how odd that "angrily slam-dunking" leads to a black batman

like, that just seems like the same problem presented differently

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mystes posted:

yeah I think it's reasonable

People keep getting mad that it's possible to intentionally get ai to generate offensive stuff but I don't think that's really what matters (if you buy a pen, surely that pen shouldn't be expected to stop you from writing nazi propaganda with it)

The thing they need to minimize is it being racist in normal use and having it always draw different ethnicities seems like a good way to achieve that

yeah that's where i'm at imo. like if you ask it to draw a scientist or wizard it should be randomly populated with a wide diversity of people.

of course these big models turn out to be crazy biased since you just feed it biased data, so pretty much the only way is to hand-code in "yeah just make some peeps non-white and female pls". i think it would be pretty much impossible to make it correlate "historically accurate" with "just stick with the bias in the model" in a way that wouldn't gently caress up higher representation of non-whites/women/nonbinary/etc.

this is kinda the direction lots of historical dramas are going. i watched bernadette banner's ranking of historical period dramas for last year and more often than not western european dramas had a much bigger variety of skin tones than would have been historically.

Beeftweeter posted:

i get your reasoning here, but the broader issue imo is that it would refuse to render them as white people entirely

wait is it actually doing that? the examples seem to just be one-offs.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Video Nasty posted:

hahahaha

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one of my favorite big real big oofs is "batman's mask only covers the top of his face so that the cops know he's white."

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

also your george w carver fact of the day:

his middle name wasn't actually washington. he just picked w as a middle initial since there were two george carvers in the town he was in and the mail kept getting hosed up. someone asked him "hey is the w for washington?" and he was like "yeah sure why not"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eeyo posted:

wait is it actually doing that? the examples seem to just be one-offs.

i haven't tried it myself (and couldn't now that it's been disabled anyway), but yeah that's what gizmodo was claiming last night when i first read about this https://gizmodo.com/google-anti-woke-babies-gemini-black-vikings-1851275422

of course their proof includes tim pool and infowars complaining about it on twitter

other examples seem to include white women at least, so my guess is that it's only sometimes

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

one of my favorite big real big oofs is "batman's mask only covers the top of his face so that the cops know he's white."

am i hallucinating that they was a batman storyline either in the comics or one of the cartoons maybe where a black guy was claiming to be batman and even commissioner gordon was like "yeah, i can believe that"?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Branch Nvidian posted:

am i hallucinating that they was a batman storyline either in the comics or one of the cartoons maybe where a black guy was claiming to be batman and even commissioner gordon was like "yeah, i can believe that"?

there's been a couple black batmen i think? not, like, bruce wayne, but still batman

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

there's been a couple black batmen i think? not, like, bruce wayne, but still batman

no, i mean if i'm remembering this correctly, bruce wayne was batman and this other guy wasn't, but was claiming to be for one reason or another, and people bought it?

extremely likely i'm making this up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i haven't tried it myself (and couldn't now that it's been disabled anyway), but yeah that's what gizmodo was claiming last night when i first read about this https://gizmodo.com/google-anti-woke-babies-gemini-black-vikings-1851275422

yeah idk i'm guessing those idiots are just lying. it's not even tim pool, it's tim pool retweeting some random guy's screenshots.