Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Can one of you goons that hasn't used a code already hook me up? I just need one more for some goddamn "not the bees!!" bees.

MrMidnight is the code and may you log in and play online with instant zone transition times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
hopping back into this after a year or two, what’s the best lazy minion class, wanna vacuum up loot in my walking simulator, thanks in advance god bless

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
the begging in global chat is bad enough

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Stux posted:

lol it kicks rear end ppl still do this for every game that comes out. god bless them

They are making the wait for the server fixes worth it

lot of lawyers and IT experts in the playerbase

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Erulisse posted:

EHG was already not a nice bunch in my books, reminding me I paid irl monies for this uninstalled game just made the matters worse

What is your problem with EHG?

And it's pretty comical if you uninstalled because they're having launch server issues, something nobody could have predicted and has not happened to anyone else, ever.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Again, I have to stress that my favorite ARPG character of all time is Last Epoch's Acolyte Minion Bomber, a sort of variant on Corpse Explosion Necromancer where my own minions provide the explosion fuel and I built out a whole bunch of cool things that happen on minion death.

It was a very fun build, click "Summon Skeletons" near stuff, the Skellies immediately come out of the ground and then blow up because your Skeletal Mages are set to auto-cast Sacrifice (minion blows up and deals AOE damage) on any minion that is near an enemy. Triggers a whole bunch of minion death effects, which gave me back mana, add Ward, etc. Every explosion also removed some Physical resistance from the target, which meant that the solution to Physical-Resistant enemies was more Skeletons! (it also did some Fire damage too).

Itemization was easy, go for Intelligence and Minion Damage and Ward stuff, done. Great build, filling the screen with huge Bonesplosions never got old. Not sure if it's still viable though, it did start to struggle around Corruption 150 and this was over a year ago.

But anyway that kind of nonsense is why I liked this game. Was the combat feel a little weak sometime? Sure, especially at low levels. But once crap started explodin' and zappin' and wooshin', it was perfectly passable.
Interesting. Where do the on-minion-death things come from? And what other skills do you use?

Erulisse posted:

ralakesh in a7 was supposed to occupy the body of the bandit the exile helped through their actions in a2
we all know how that ended up
Maybe the bandits should offer better rewards compared to killing all of them if they wanted to live. :colbert:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Tonetta posted:

the begging in global chat is bad enough

Turn that poo poo off bro

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

nerox posted:

If I am blasting through ignoring everything, how will I know? :psyduck:

Last Epoch is now saying I am not logged into Steam. After 24 hours, my online character has only achieved level 2.

presumably the vendors or other npcs that you actually have to interact with will comment on it, probably as you're zooming away. they had an extremely positive response to NPCs basically poo poo talking the player so it might well be more of that, too. idk though, they talked about it at some point during one of the poe 2 panels, but I don't have a link offhand

Clarste posted:

Honestly, I am story-enjoyer by nature, but the way they choose to present it in this game (dialog with slowly appearing text while someone talks) is like the worst possible way to convey that, imo, since you can't speed it up without skipping it entirely. That said, I feel like the text appears a little faster in 1.0?

Yeah imo there's absolutely room for arpgs to have some story, but there's just a bunch of incomprehensible genre conventions that story is apparently meant to be conveyed by some rambling expository notes left all around the world. or the world's slowest talking npcs

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 22, 2024

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The portal to the Imperial Era in the End of Time is just not working for me at all which is annoying. My fissure warlock was really starting to pick up steam too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

And it's pretty comical if you uninstalled because they're having launch server issues, something nobody could have predicted and has not happened to anyone else, ever.

I can't remember all the drama but a goon worked there and got fired. Can't remember their username, but if someone else does then you can just search this thread for it.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
Refunded this game, there's just this feeling of jank I can't get behind, and I'm not talking about servers and stuff... I just mean it doesn't really feel like there's anything new in this ARPGs except skill tree/crafting stuff. Also for some reason I feel like I'm playing LoL and not an ARPG with the combat. I think unless there was something massively differentiating I would be more likely to play, but imo it feels like PoE had sex with D4 and had a clunky baby and I ain't got time to grind on these types of games anymore. I'll just stick to roguelites now.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
^^^ I think it's the new things it offers are crafting, looting (CoF, especially), and maybe how the end game plays out. But the item system is by far its most unique point.

The way you spec into skills and how they interact is also quite interesting but it obviously draws heavily from Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, and Diablo 3. Not to say those didn't draw from each other as well or that it's necessarily a bad thing. I think it's supremely difficult to come up with a completely new way of doing that that also might not feel terrible. Like, just off the top of my head, maybe skills are now items (for example, maybe they could be "gems") and the tree you want to invest into them, maybe you make with crafting. That would be pretty different and new but.. I feel like it would also be extremely frustrating and awful to actually play. So I don't think there's really any blame to be had for a game not being completely unique in every single way.

Re fired goon:

Elentor. But okay, that's a normal thing that happens.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 22, 2024

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does this game have guilds yet? Would be easier to trade recs & loot with it...

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

zoux posted:

I've beat the campaign 10+ times and I don't know what the story is.
Same but I'm kind of bummed out by this because I find the world is pretty fascinating and a perfect setup for repeating content. Too bad they didn't have blizz cash to make an epic campaign in this world.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I'd fire elentor too, they're psychotic

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah imo there's absolutely room for arpgs to have some story, but there's just a bunch of incomprehensible genre conventions that story is apparently meant to be conveyed by some rambling expository notes left all around the world. or the world's slowest talking npcs

I have a friend who was a writer on an ARPG that never got released and he said it was really hard to do, you had to constantly cut things down to the smallest number of words possible, and then everything had to be voice acted so the player could basically swing by the NPC and listen to them as they ran to the next objective or they wouldn't engage with it at all, and after all that result was still weird and disjointed. I dunno maybe it should all just go into a wiki so you can read it during server problems.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Tonetta posted:

I'd fire elentor too, they're psychotic

You're not really one to talk.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Suprfli6 posted:

The portal to the Imperial Era in the End of Time is just not working for me at all which is annoying. My fissure warlock was really starting to pick up steam too.

Are you still having trouble? I can hook you up with an invite if you need.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

totalnewbie posted:

Elentor.
And no, I uninstalled a long time ago, although I do wish this game to succeed for the bettering of arpg genre

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

M. Night Skymall posted:

I have a friend who was a writer on an ARPG that never got released and he said it was really hard to do, you had to constantly cut things down to the smallest number of words possible, and then everything had to be voice acted so the player could basically swing by the NPC and listen to them as they ran to the next objective or they wouldn't engage with it at all, and after all that result was still weird and disjointed. I dunno maybe it should all just go into a wiki so you can read it during server problems.

Have they yet tried forced dialogue? You can't skip them, you must listen to them.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

So I managed to get a good amount of hours in and I'm not seeing the big 1.0 jump in combat "feel" that I was hoping to. I definitely can see why that and the general lower budget feel will turn off some folks (especially if their sole ARPG experiences has been Diablo).

I'm digging everything else about the game though. Itemization is much better than D4 and to me that is priority #1. I look forward to what the team has in store for the future.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

Have they yet tried forced dialogue? You can't skip them, you must listen to them.

almost nobody likes this tbh

the dialogue in this game was unskippable leading up to 1.0 and it was a pleasant surprise to find that you now can.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Ihmemies posted:

D4 did. And also some quest where you have to follow the slow walking npc for a long time.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah you’d be crazy to keep using Rip Blood as your main. The potion drop rate is good enough that I don’t need to use Rip Blood to restore health as long as I’m putting in enough effort to avoid attacks.

Some of the new Warlock skills have a few Rip Blood synergies baked into their skill trees, could be worth specializing into just to drop bombs that heal you for the trouble.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'm one of those people who actually paid attention to PoE lore the first time I played, and I like to exhaust all the new dialogue options for league NPCs as well.

I'd say skippable cutscenes is probably the best bet, but of course there are going to be a ton of people who, well, skip them. So if you want to get across a story while people are doing that, I feel like the next best way is to have NPCs follow you around spouting dialogue. The problem is when devs think this dialogue is more important than game flow and trap you into walking behind them or waiting for a door to open or whatever so the NPC can finish monologuing, which is annoying to the player and suddenly one of the worst ways to do it (especially if you want people to repeat your campaign, which I don't understand why arpg devs are so intent on making their players do. I'd rather have a shorter campaign and a massive endgame than have a fleshed out campaign that I'm forced to do every league/cycle because the devs poured money into it for some reason). It definitely means you have to be very concise and precise with your timing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Not having a finished campaign at launch does feel a little weird to me, so if people bought it expecting a complete campaign I get why they're annoyed. It's not a dealbreaker for me, but it does make calling it 1.0 feel pretty arbitrary.

They need to repeat the existing three times with reduced resistances each time... just like they used to in the good old days. :corsair:

POE had three acts and by god we repeated them like mad. :colbert:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Clocks posted:

I'm one of those people who actually paid attention to PoE lore the first time I played, and I like to exhaust all the new dialogue options for league NPCs as well.

I'd say skippable cutscenes is probably the best bet, but of course there are going to be a ton of people who, well, skip them. So if you want to get across a story while people are doing that, I feel like the next best way is to have NPCs follow you around spouting dialogue. The problem is when devs think this dialogue is more important than game flow and trap you into walking behind them or waiting for a door to open or whatever so the NPC can finish monologuing, which is annoying to the player and suddenly one of the worst ways to do it (especially if you want people to repeat your campaign, which I don't understand why arpg devs are so intent on making their players do. I'd rather have a shorter campaign and a massive endgame than have a fleshed out campaign that I'm forced to do every league/cycle because the devs poured money into it for some reason). It definitely means you have to be very concise and precise with your timing.

Easy, just make the speed of voice acting replay scale with player movement speed :v:

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Clocks posted:

I find it weird that every live service game has a campaign with maps that are barely used in the end-game. They should just start at end-game and fill the open world with optional quests and events that tell the story/lore for those that want to dive into it.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I found one of those "make a unique" crafting items. Is there a recommended generic use for one of those while leveling, or is it a better idea to save it for later?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Use it now on a weapon.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

zoux posted:

Use it now on a weapon.

Assuming it doesn't make a weapon you can't use for another twenty levels. :negative:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Day 2: No stable connections, no ability to load zones. We hope that help will come soon, but our servers are low and there is no way to fix the APIs. We can hear them closing in. The review bombers, the trolls. If this is to be our grave, I will record the measure of it, what we did and couldn't do. They will know our name by the form of our corpse, by the red status icon of our online play.

"LE-61"

The words are on the wind, whistling past the walls of our fortress. LE-61. The junior devs are piss-scared as the sound penetrates deeper into our keep. There is no way out, no way through. No mercy awaits. The senior engineers close Discord, but I cannot. My eyes follow the scrawl of annihilation, obliterating a decade of our work in a day. Already the dead outnumber the living.

There is no hope here.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

175,609 playing an hour ago
175,609 24-hour peak
175,609 all-time peak

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
and as soon as I'm able to log in everything is stable and I got right in. you're welcome everyone.

also aerial assault is Cool as Hell

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
I too would like bees. Space_Chef is my account name.

Loving bleed warlock btw. I really hope this game has more of a life for me than D4 did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing I really like about the endgame is that the monolith instances are really short. I know that in reality fighting one group of monster skins isn't that different from another group of monster skins but psychologically it helps to break up the tedium of what is essentially grinding greater rifts.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh man, you no longer need to clear both sides of the Lotus Halls to fix the bridge? A+

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Oh man, you no longer need to clear both sides of the Lotus Halls to fix the bridge? A+

Literally the worst part of the campaign, this is fantastic

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

Literally the worst part of the campaign, this is fantastic

That and having to do all that to just get your mastery. Much happier getting your mastery 10 levels sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
holy lol reddit is so mad about this game right now. I've been annoyed by the 20 minute zone transitions but the world isn't ending.