Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

South Africa is one of the few places that can actually say they've stood up to any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Zodar posted:

haha hell yeah. genuinely the most heartening gesture or statement i've seen from a global superpower on this conflict.

even from the perspective of like, pure cynical realpolitik, it is obviously in China's best interest to wait for the US & its vassals to act like bloodthirsty, craven incompetents (this part has already happened) and then side with the opposition. if you want to put yourself at the center of whatever comes next when the west implodes, you want to be friends with the people they've been immiserating for centuries. i hope it's not just an empty gesture & they back it up with material aid to Gaza, but this is a good start

I've been saying China could easily fund UNRWA as a middle finger to the West, and to show how they are actually the good guys

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Hatebag posted:

*looking at kaaba*: you have quite a treasure there in that islamic cube

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

China’s stance is pragmatic because the US is so loving touchy about Israel that they would undoubtedly retaliate somehow, and it’s hard to know how. Suppose they tried to do something very stupid with Taiwan in response to diplomatic, economic or military links with Israel being cut off?

Well, that’s an insanely dangerous situation because we’re not talking about the risk of regional war anymore, but world war.

The US supported a coup in Pakistan because Khan didn’t provide arms to Ukraine. Whatever they did in Asia in response to China taking a hard line to Israel’s genocide would probably be deranged.

Agreed. The American leadership is unpredictable because they're senile and deranged. It's impossible to know how they would respond to material efforts by China to assist the Palestinians. What would the potential upside be, for China, in getting involved?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/MSF/status/1760707696444023126

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Kunster posted:

Ok I have a dumb question: Is BDS actually demanding no Eurovision or no McDonalds and so on? I don't think the list is that big and has Starbucks on it.

nah. all those grainy JPEGS with brand logos on them and demands for everyone to BOYCOTT THIS NOW!!!!! that people keep breathlessly sharing on facebook and twitter aren’t from BDS.

https://bdsmovement.net/get-involved/what-to-boycott posted:

We focus our boycotts on a small number of companies and products for maximum impact. We focus on companies that play a clear and direct role in Israel’s crimes and where we think we can have an impact.

like if you want to boycott your local mcdonalds franchise, fine, but don’t delude yourself into thinking it affects the israeli economy in any way whatsoever.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Kunster posted:

Hey now, at least when our dimwits do cartoons about Lula, we go to the "Oh he's into Goblnization" school. At least that takes effort, even fi the guy's comics are poo poo.

Ok I have a dumb question: Is BDS actually demanding no Eurovision or no McDonalds and so on? I don't think the list is that big and has Starbucks on it.

their actual list is quite small, but people have been calling for the boycott of eurovision for a while especially after israel hosted it in 2019 (i think). starbucks/mcdonalds started as an “organic” boycott but isn’t affiliated with bds afaik

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

i boycott starbucks because its overpriced garbage

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Karach posted:

Agreed. The American leadership is unpredictable because they're senile and deranged. It's impossible to know how they would respond to material efforts by China to assist the Palestinians. What would the potential upside be, for China, in getting involved?

Stopping a genocide

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

VoicesCanBe posted:

Another video to submit to the ICJ as evidence

Is there some way to do this, to ensure the court's not missing anything? Social media can be so fleeting. Would love to be of help in some way, here.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

at minimum they should massively increase unrwa funding thats an extremely easy win

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Today for no reason I'm thinking about those ladies who jumped in a tank and started blastin'

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
e: wrong thread

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

really queer Christmas posted:

Stopping a genocide

So the widespread condemnation of the majority of governments and some extremely online goons cheering them on.

Boy, I wonder why they're not jumping at that value exchange.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Plus it would be hypocritical to criticise one genocide while you fundamentally carry your own out...

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

HallelujahLee posted:

at minimum they should massively increase unrwa funding thats an extremely easy win

yeah 100% and they can easily afford it

I do think China is not responding in a more substantive fashion in order to avoid US backlash, but like, isn’t the point of a multipolar world that other countries are willing to actually defy the US? if China isn’t willing to do that even in the face of such a clear moral imperative that doesn’t bode well for the next decade or five; waiting for the American empire to collapse on its own is certainly a strategy, but it’s going to take an extremely long time to play out.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Diet Crack posted:

Plus it would be hypocritical to criticise one genocide while you fundamentally carry your own out...

:smug:

ImWithHer88
Feb 8, 2024

by Pragmatica

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

China’s stance is pragmatic because the US is so loving touchy about Israel that they would undoubtedly retaliate somehow, and it’s hard to know how. Suppose they tried to do something very stupid with Taiwan in response to diplomatic, economic or military links with Israel being cut off?

Well, that’s an insanely dangerous situation because we’re not talking about the risk of regional war anymore, but world war.

The US supported a coup in Pakistan because Khan didn’t provide arms to Ukraine. Whatever they did in Asia in response to China taking a hard line to Israel’s genocide would probably be deranged.

the US stance is pragmatic because the genocide they facilitate sells a lot of weapons and whose to say that's good or bad

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I do think China is not responding in a more substantive fashion in order to avoid US backlash, but like, isn’t the point of a multipolar world that other countries are willing to actually defy the US? if China isn’t willing to do that even in the face of such a clear moral imperative that doesn’t bode well for the next decade or five; waiting for the American empire to collapse on its own is certainly a strategy, but it’s going to take an extremely long time to play out.

im hoping china steps up a bit in the defying category the wait for empire to collapse is certainly a valid tactic but very slow

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I imagine China plans to be more assertive once they've broken out of the first island chain and the US is incapable of putting them back

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Harold Fjord posted:

Today for no reason I'm thinking about those ladies who jumped in a tank and started blastin'

they did such a good job too.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Al-Saqr posted:

why are you guys praising china theyre still sucking israeli dick and keeping up trade and weapons sales to them.

What weapons have China sold to Israel? They have bought a bunch, and oh whoops, weapons based on those technologies have wound up in the hands of Hezbollah and I think Hamas via Iran.

I would like to see some trade sanctions though but I suspect they are waiting for the Israeli report to the ICJ.

Karach posted:

Worldwide image. Particularly in the Muslim world, where they have been making some big inroads recently.

Retromancer posted:

So the widespread condemnation of the majority of governments and some extremely online goons cheering them on.

Boy, I wonder why they're not jumping at that value exchange.

Westoid brain

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Haaretz

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...cd-f17f934d0000

Israeli Nova Partygoer Was Misidentified as Hamas Terrorist on October 7 and Killed by Israeli Forces
Josh Breiner and Bar Peleg
Feb 22, 2024 6:43 pm IST

An Israeli man who managed to escape the Nova music festival on the morning of October 7, shortly before the site was overrun with Hamas terrorists, was killed by a volunteer security squad at a neighboring kibbutz after being misidentified for a terrorist, a Haaretz investigation reveals.

24-year-old Ofek Atun and his girlfriend Tamar fled the Nova outdoor rave by car as rockets started flying overhead. The couple drove north until security personnel from a nearby community directed them to Kibbutz Alumim.

The investigation, which is based on interviews with Atun's family members, girlfriend, and members of the kibbutz's staff and community response team, as well as security footage and recorded phone calls from the morning of October 7, follows Atun's course in his final hours.

When Ofek and Tamar arrived at the outskirts of the kibbutz, they took refuge in a bomb shelter with several dozen other partygoers to hide from the scores of Hamas terrorists in the area. After surviving an assault on the shelter, Ofek and Tamar fled to Alumim, according to security footage.

The couple, unaware that Israeli soldiers had already pushed all terrorists out of the kibbutz, frantically banged on doors before storming into the home of an elderly couple who were taking shelter inside their safe room. Thinking that terrorists had just broken into their home, the homeowners called the kibbutz's volunteer security squad for help.

As Ofek and Tamar were hiding inside the house, the security squad arrived, accompanied by a kibbutz resident soldier, and discreetly evacuated the elderly couple through the safe room window. The soldier then entered the house through the window with a pistol in hand, while a security squad member provided cover through the window.

How events transpired from this point is not fully clear. According to a member of the community security squad, Atun and the soldier got into a fight, and the soldier shot Atun many times, mistaking him for a terrorist. According to Tamar, Ofek was shot dead without any prior struggle.

After exiting the house, Tamar herself was shot in the stomach by Israel forces. Thankfully, she survived the shooting.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

ImWithHer88 posted:

whose to say that's good or bad

It would be bad for the world if China, who can see the US already flailing around as things go badly in Ukraine, Prosperity Guardian and Gaza, takes a position that will send the already-in-a-blind-panic US government, led by a senile president, into an unpredictable course of action.

The US is already openly obsessed with China challenging US hegemony and sees China behind their decline. This creates the same problem as Cold War anticommunism, because if the US already suspects a grand conspiracy, taking actions that help the Palestinians and hurt Israel to that degree will "confirm" the worst fears of the erratic US leadership, and nobody knows what they'll do.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Weka posted:

Worldwide image. Particularly in the Muslim world, where they have been making some big inroads recently.

You're not wrong that that would be a potential upside, but if I'm playing Suzerain as China, am I risking war with a rotting-but-still-powerful empire helmed by insane ghouls for the nebulous goodwill of the Muslim world? Is that enough?

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
Israel's minister of evil affairs declares that the wicked military operation of villainy has been appropriately timed to maximize human misery. DTI

https://twitter.com/GlobeEyeNews/status/1760528755599311158?t=sSYIHzgsckKyMGphzxwpaQ&s=19

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Karach posted:

You're not wrong that that would be a potential upside, but if I'm playing Suzerain as China, am I risking war with a rotting-but-still-powerful empire helmed by insane ghouls for the nebulous goodwill of the Muslim world? Is that enough?

This is basically the problem.

The US already imagines their challenges in discrete regions: the Middle-East, Europe, and Asia, as the result of coordinated and nefarious action by China, Russia and Iran. So far, each of the three has balanced their actions outside their immediate region in a way designed to limit the US freaking the gently caress out.

For instance, Iran and China have been cautious in providing support to Russia vis a vis Ukraine while NATO emptied their arsenals. Russia has provided material and technology to Iran, but has not gifted them, or Syria, the air defence systems that would threaten to shut the US out of the region overnight. The Russian Far East Fleet exercises with the PLAN, but doesn't venture anywhere near Taiwan.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

CheetoVonTito posted:

It’s really hard to gauge. Your MAGA lovers are of course, standing with Israel.

What I am seeing is pretty 50:50 amongst the MAGA subset of Republicans. Tucker Carlson a couple of weeks ago in Dubai came out pretty strongly against while framing the subject I think perfectly for American conservatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Qbp2n9VzE

There is a strong anti war isolationist sentiment amongst the maga set that it seems stupid for pro peace activists to ignore.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Sancho Banana posted:

Israel's minister of evil affairs declares that the wicked military operation of villainy has been appropriately timed to maximize human misery. DTI

https://twitter.com/GlobeEyeNews/status/1760528755599311158?t=sSYIHzgsckKyMGphzxwpaQ&s=19

what a piece of poo poo

ImWithHer88
Feb 8, 2024

by Pragmatica

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It would be bad for the world if China, who can see the US already flailing around as things go badly in Ukraine, Prosperity Guardian and Gaza, takes a position that will send the already-in-a-blind-panic US government, led by a senile president, into an unpredictable course of action.

The US is already openly obsessed with China challenging US hegemony and sees China behind their decline. This creates the same problem as Cold War anticommunism, because if the US already suspects a grand conspiracy, taking actions that help the Palestinians and hurt Israel to that degree will "confirm" the worst fears of the erratic US leadership, and nobody knows what they'll do.

It would be bad for China to oppose genocide. Got it.

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Pretty hosed up that the obvious right thing to do, i.e. helping stop a genocide, could lead to some insane escalation. It feels like most of the world will just idly stand by while zionist nazis and their enablers murder millions of Palestinians. Makes me want to check out of society and live in a hut in the woods.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

One of China's key operating political tenants is Neutrality when it comes to intrastate conflict. They will not get involved with whatever Israel is doing, like they didn't get involved with Myanmar until the cross-border attacks happened

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

ImWithHer88 posted:

It would be bad for China to oppose genocide. Got it.

The USSR faced the same dilemma in 1967 and 1973, where they had troops mobilized and air and sealift prepared to intercede on behalf of Syria but concluded (correctly IMO) that the US would start a nuclear exchange if the Soviets directly repulsed the Israelis from the Golan Heights or even rearmed the Arabs at the same rate the US was rebuilding the Israeli military.

I don't think you understand that opposing genocide is not going to be recognized as a correct moral choice by the US government but the opening shots of a world war.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the extra lurid rape fantasies recently published might have been to get in front on this recent UN report

quote:

Israel/oPt: UN experts appalled by reported human rights violations against Palestinian women and girls

GENEVA (19 February 2024) – UN experts* today expressed alarm over credible allegations of egregious human rights violations to which Palestinian women and girls continue to be subjected in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

Palestinian women and girls have reportedly been arbitrarily executed in Gaza, often together with family members, including their children, according to information received. “We are shocked by reports of the deliberate targeting and extrajudicial killing of Palestinian women and children in places where they sought refuge, or while fleeing. Some of them were reportedly holding white pieces of cloth when they were killed by the Israeli army or affiliated forces,” the experts said.

The experts expressed serious concern about the arbitrary detention of hundreds of Palestinian women and girls, including human rights defenders, journalists and humanitarian workers, in Gaza and the West Bank since 7 October. Many have reportedly been subjected to inhuman and degrading treatment, denied menstruation pads, food and medicine, and severely beaten. On at least one occasion, Palestinian women detained in Gaza were allegedly kept in a cage in the rain and cold, without food.

“We are particularly distressed by reports that Palestinian women and girls in detention have also been subjected to multiple forms of sexual assault, such as being stripped naked and searched by male Israeli army officers. At least two female Palestinian detainees were reportedly raped while others were reportedly threatened with rape and sexual violence,” the experts said. They also noted that photos of female detainees in degrading circumstances were also reportedly taken by the Israeli army and uploaded online.

The experts expressed concern that an unknown number of Palestinian women and children, including girls, have reportedly gone missing after contact with the Israeli army in Gaza. “There are disturbing reports of at least one female infant forcibly transferred by the Israeli army into Israel, and of children being separated from their parents, whose whereabouts remain unknown,” they said.

“We remind the Government of Israel of its obligation to uphold the right to life, safety, health, and dignity of Palestinian women and girls and to ensure that no one is subjected to violence, torture, ill-treatment or degrading treatment, including sexual violence,” the experts said.

They called for an independent, impartial, prompt, thorough and effective investigation into the allegations and for Israel to cooperate with such investigations.

“Taken together, these alleged acts may constitute grave violations of international human rights and humanitarian law, and amount to serious crimes under international criminal law that could be prosecuted under the Rome Statute,” the experts said. “Those responsible for these apparent crimes must be held accountable and victims and their families are entitled to full redress and justice,” they added.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The USSR faced the same dilemma in 1967 and 1973, where they had troops mobilized and air and sealift prepared to intercede on behalf of Syria but concluded (correctly IMO) that the US would start a nuclear exchange if the Soviets directly repulsed the Israelis from the Golan Heights or even rearmed the Arabs at the same rate the US was rebuilding the Israeli military.

I don't think you understand that opposing genocide is not going to be recognized as a correct moral choice by the US government but the opening shots of a world war.

I hate so much that this is the world we live in. It's so important that the U.S. is evil as gently caress and needs to be brought down.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
is China actually trading with Israel still? I thought the whole point of Chinese ship don’t shoot was that Chinese ships were not going to Israel

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I said come in! posted:

I hate so much that this is the world we live in. It's so important that the U.S. is evil as gently caress and needs to be brought down.

If it's any consolation, I think that a lot of states recognize that, they're just trying to figure out a way to do that without a global conflagration.

Remember that for all of the US paranoia, Cuba and the USSR did not directly intervene in Latin America either, even when they obviously should have. Tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of people were disappeared in Chile, Argentina, Nicaragua, Columbia, but the world didn't end. That's an awful choice to make.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is China actually trading with Israel still? I thought the whole point of Chinese ship don’t shoot was that Chinese ships were not going to Israel

yeah i was going to ask this as well

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

China and Israel also historically have a sort of deal where Israel sells China technology from US military aid and allegedly even entire weapons systems, which I believe was arranged by the US during the Sino-Soviet Split. It also ("allegedly") happens behind the US' back, and Israel gives away stuff the US doesn't want them to. It's mentioned in one of those books Chinese military modernization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

ImWithHer88 posted:

the US stance is pragmatic because the genocide they facilitate sells a lot of weapons and whose to say that's good or bad

lol the cold blood snake who oversaw arms deals for the US government resigned at the beginning of this because he saw what was coming and didn’t want it on his conscience.