Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Remembering a Primus show I went to where Les Claypool sounded like he was dying. Get back to work JT, it's just the flu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJCD1n6ty38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Dog Case posted:

Remembering a Primus show I went to where Les Claypool sounded like he was dying.

Ah man that sucks, I listen to Primus exclusively for the beautiful dulcet tones of Les's vocals

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

The Oldest Man posted:

loving thing is kiting our population immune response like its a WoW raid

LEEEEROOYYYYYYYY JN.KINNNNNSSSSSS

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

@falconryfinance is the saxophone poo poo lasagna guy?? :psyboom:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

@falconryfinance is the saxophone poo poo lasagna guy?? :psyboom:

yepppp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Turns out the internet is a very small place.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Uhh you guys, there appears to be something loving crazy going around that isn't testing positive for covid, flu or rsv. it's sending the residents at this old folks home I work at out to the hospital way more than we ever had with covid (post vaccine, i mean). It's knocking out the staff too.

Sorry I'm not up on my pestilence news these days. Do you guys have any idea wtf is happening?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

HoAssHo posted:

Uhh you guys, there appears to be something loving crazy going around that isn't testing positive for covid, flu or rsv. it's sending the residents at this old folks home I work at out to the hospital way more than we ever had with covid (post vaccine, i mean). It's knocking out the staff too.

Sorry I'm not up on my pestilence news these days. Do you guys have any idea wtf is happening?

It's covid

More helpful edit: I would hope that since there's actual medical people involved that maybe they would know how to use a RAT correctly, but their accuracy rate isn't super high, especially if they're not swabbed well enough. Also, people who haven't been infected or vaccinated recently are no better off than somebody who's completely new to covid.

Rochallor has issued a correction as of 00:58 on Feb 23, 2024

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I mean, yeah it probably is right?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It's covid.

Or it could be measles... eh, probably more likely covid

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Rochallor posted:

It's covid

More helpful edit: I would hope that since there's actual medical people involved that maybe they would know how to use a RAT correctly, but their accuracy rate isn't super high, especially if they're not swabbed well enough. Also, people who haven't been infected or vaccinated recently are no better off than somebody who's completely new to covid.

Oh I know, I read this thread daily for like 3 and 1/2 years. It's just recently that I've fallen off.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's either covid directly, or covid indirectly via loving up immune systems to the extent that all kinds of things are spreading way more than they would have otherwise.

the elderly will of course continue to get btfo by either option to a hugely disproportionate degree

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

HoAssHo posted:

Oh I know, I read this thread daily for like 3 and 1/2 years. It's just recently that I've fallen off.

Ah ok, I didn't recognize the avatar, I figured you were another one of the harbingers of a new wave.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Have the old folks home ever had any problems with mold in the past? It's getting warmer out there and it could be just some fungal infections going on from mold

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HoAssHo posted:

yeah there's been a lot of media coverage of the Mystery Disease but it's only mysterious because our surveillance apparatus, at a societal level, has been thoroughly dismantled.

with that in mind it's totally reasonable to suspect another novel pathogen (maybe a fungus??) considering what's happening to human species immune systems, but actual civilizations like China, or indeed wealthy liberal remnants of the functional medical community probably would have figured it out by now. It's been a few weeks/months depending on when people started throwing their hands up and saying "We just don't know!".

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Got to say this is pretty v accurate from scrolling through Tiktok

https://twitter.com/hutchleah/status/1760546639889211478/

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
oh and random anecdote but my coworker's dad recently had a golfball sized tumor taken out of his brain, and surgeon's advice was to avoid coughing or sneezing for the next few months because it could like blow out his brain or something idk. novel pathways for covid to kill people!

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I've been taking a news break but I guess I have to dive back in. I vaguely heard of the mystery virus thing but just blew it off because I feel like this happens every winter now?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
oh and it was 38C (100f) here yesterday and a guy on one my teams meetings had a jacket and scarf on. "excuse my appearance, just got the chills from a summer cold haha"

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkgKO9jtVW0

"i want to be with you everywhere" truly is the ultimate covid song. fitting it's for a cruise ship ad

not sure if this a parody, or someone in the advertising agency is taking the piss, but this is covid: the musical

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hellequin posted:

Huh, just found out that @falconryfinance straight up plagiarized some of my posts here and in the old thread.

Very cool. My dude I've got less than 100 followers on Twitter, 57 on tumblr (my old account where I had cross posted the long essays was deleted out of nowhere in December and I had 390 followers there) and you've got 41k. Kind of a lovely thing to steal the work of a disabled guy with no following.

Yeah he's been lurking this thread for a long time. He has the right opinions on covid though I suppose

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's so funny to me that these insurance companies that are putting up these big concert policies:
a. won't cover covid
b. will cover flu
c. won't actually make all the performers undergo properly swabbed PCR covid testing before paying out the insurance policy

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mola Yam posted:

oh and random anecdote but my coworker's dad recently had a golfball sized tumor taken out of his brain, and surgeon's advice was to avoid coughing or sneezing for the next few months because it could like blow out his brain or something idk. novel pathways for covid to kill people!

Wonderful how "you do you" has trickled up to brain tumors already

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Has anybody had like, nasal acne after covid?

I got infected in september 2022, and to my knowlege, not since, but ever since that infection i've had consistent problems with bumps and like, acne forming in there. Spare me goon stereotypes, I'm pretty aggressive with my hygeine. I keep myself pretty loving clean. Before the infection, I would get these sorts of whiteheads in my nose maybe once every four to five years. Very rare, and never more than one at a time.

It has been a several-times-a-month thing since the infection. The constant pain and irritation is getting annoying, and i have no idea what's causing it, but the timing is extremely suspect and I figured this was a decent place to compare with other people.

My sense of smell did take a hit during the infection. it has largely returned, but still hasn't *fully* returned to pre-infection sensitivity. It's probably around 80% of what it was.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"Blood–brain barrier disruption and sustained systemic inflammation in individuals with long COVID-associated cognitive impairment"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41593-024-01576-9 posted:

Abstract
Vascular disruption has been implicated in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pathogenesis and may predispose to the neurological sequelae associated with long COVID, yet it is unclear how blood–brain barrier (BBB) function is affected in these conditions. Here we show that BBB disruption is evident during acute infection and in patients with long COVID with cognitive impairment, commonly referred to as brain fog. Using dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging, we show BBB disruption in patients with long COVID-associated brain fog. Transcriptomic analysis of peripheral blood mononuclear cells revealed dysregulation of the coagulation system and a dampened adaptive immune response in individuals with brain fog. Accordingly, peripheral blood mononuclear cells showed increased adhesion to human brain endothelial cells in vitro, while exposure of brain endothelial cells to serum from patients with long COVID induced expression of inflammatory markers. Together, our data suggest that sustained systemic inflammation and persistent localized BBB dysfunction is a key feature of long COVID-associated brain fog.

News article on the matter:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/22/long-covid-brain-fog-may-be-due-to-leaky-blood-brain-barrier-study posted:

Long Covid ‘brain fog’ may be due to leaky blood-brain barrier, study finds
If barrier controlling substances entering and exiting brain is off balance, it can drive changes in neural function

:brainworms:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Feb 23, 2024

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Riot Bimbo posted:

Has anybody had like, nasal acne after covid?

I got infected in september 2022, and to my knowlege, not since, but ever since that infection i've had consistent problems with bumps and like, acne forming in there. Spare me goon stereotypes, I'm pretty aggressive with my hygeine. I keep myself pretty loving clean. Before the infection, I would get these sorts of whiteheads in my nose maybe once every four to five years. Very rare, and never more than one at a time.

It has been a several-times-a-month thing since the infection. The constant pain and irritation is getting annoying, and i have no idea what's causing it, but the timing is extremely suspect and I figured this was a decent place to compare with other people.

My sense of smell did take a hit during the infection. it has largely returned, but still hasn't *fully* returned to pre-infection sensitivity. It's probably around 80% of what it was.
Like up in your nostrils? Acne is caused by a bacterium, P. acnes, so it could be that you got colonized by an extra hardy strain, or maybe one that likes the humidity caused by a mask or something. I get them occasionally and my dermatologist gave me a gel to put on it when it happens. If you can go to a doctor, an ENT might confirm that it’s acne instead of horrible nose-eating disease, and if so, probably even an online dermatologist can hook you up with the prescription.

Loss of smell probably isn’t related since that’s a brain thing fwiw

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

HoAssHo posted:

NeonPunk posted:

It's covid.

Or it could be measles... eh, probably more likely covid

https://x.com/StephTaitWrites/status/1760729800073990471?s=20

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pingui posted:

"Blood–brain barrier disruption and sustained systemic inflammation in individuals with long COVID-associated cognitive impairment"

News article on the matter:

:brainworms:

"peripheral blood mononuclear cells showed increased adhesion to human brain endothelial cells in vitro" is one hell of a roundabout way of avoiding stating the obvious

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

fake news, if Americans were suffering an outbreak of brain damage, we'd expect to see horrific burnout in the workplace, chronic absenteeism in schools at unprecedented rates, and a sudden rise in auto insurance claims

*puts finger to ear, looks away from camera briefly*

this just in,

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i see, so measles is mild now, like a cold :hmmrona:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

U-DO Burger posted:

i see, so measles is mild now, like a cold :hmmrona:

Covid = flu
Measels = cold
Ebola = eczema

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Potato Salad posted:

fake news, if Americans were suffering an outbreak of brain damage, we'd expect to see horrific burnout in the workplace, chronic absenteeism in schools at unprecedented rates, and a sudden rise in auto insurance claims

*puts finger to ear, looks away from camera briefly*

this just in,

a peaceful descent into endemicity

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

how's my pal COVID doing

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
great!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
3 people out of 11 in my class have developed The Cough since the beginning of the year.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

So some folks in Italy found measles got some few mutations that made the tests less sensitive to detect it.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2023.29.7.2400079

That's not a encouraging trend

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

So some folks in Italy found measles got some few mutations that made the tests less sensitive to detect it.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2023.29.7.2400079

That's not a encouraging trend

??? it’s becoming so mild the tests can’t detect it. sounds encouraging to me

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
is the carrageenan spray still cool? got mad behind because of work. saw mystery disease thing, lol it's covid

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

call_of_qthulhu posted:

is the carrageenan spray still cool? got mad behind because of work. saw mystery disease thing, lol it's covid

Someone else might chime in on the efficacy for covid, but I can tell you with confidence that the carrageenan spray does *not* work for measles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

NeonPunk posted:

Someone else might chime in on the efficacy for covid, but I can tell you with confidence that the carrageenan spray does *not* work for measles

my partner and i got a mmr booster(? or just another mmr??) like 2 years ago when a friend of ours had a baby, so that rules