Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
My wife is a life-long New Yorker and is pretty interested in the transit systemm so watching New York movies with her is like watching Mike point out Star Trek production bloopers except for the accuracy of whether or not subway stations and train lines are correct. Watching The Warriors in particular was total a blast because the entire movie is a trek from the Bronx all the way down to Coney Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

my life is a piss soaked alleyway

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The 1990 Ninja Turtles movie had a great NYC

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like maniac cop 1's new york

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The 1990 Ninja Turtles movie had a great NYC

Of course it did- it’s a New Line film!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the alley is a kill zone rookie mistake to go in it

#1 mistake I'd make in a horror movie is listening to music on my walkman while I mop floors

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I have the Warriors soundtrack on 8-track.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

My wife is a life-long New Yorker and is pretty interested in the transit systemm so watching New York movies with her is like watching Mike point out Star Trek production bloopers except for the accuracy of whether or not subway stations and train lines are correct. Watching The Warriors in particular was total a blast because the entire movie is a trek from the Bronx all the way down to Coney Island.

gotta stay wary that you don't accidentally get on that midnight meat train

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Crescent Wrench posted:

One of my friends as a kid, his dad played the leader of the Orphans, the lovely minor gang where they meet the love interest. He wasn’t ever really an actor, he was just a local who got a surprisingly meaty part. For him it was just a thing he did in his early 20’s and he basically forgot about it.

Fast forward to us dumb 14 year olds hanging out, doing drugs and watching schlock absolutely losing our poo poo because what the gently caress is Mr. Greco doing in our lovely tv+vcr that we keep in the woods. And that friend wasn’t even there so we couldn’t ask him. Just 4 dudes in a lean-to in the woods, trying to figure out if we were going crazy or if we got some really weird weed or what the gently caress. The idea that he was in the tv+vcr because he acted in the movie was never even considered. And this was before any kid would’ve had a cellphone, plus we were pretty deep in the mountains : by the end of the weekend we’d sobered up and started assuming this was an elaborate prank, just because what other explanation could there be????

It was a complete anticlimax at the end though. When we got to school and saw the friend, he didn’t know (and didn’t appreciate being accused of a malicious conspiracy), so we had to wait another day for him to go home and ask about it. All for the response of “o yeah, I was in some dumb movie called ‘Fighters’ or something”.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he was in the vcr

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xiahou Dun posted:

One of my friends as a kid, his dad played the leader of the Orphans, the lovely minor gang where they meet the love interest. He wasn’t ever really an actor, he was just a local who got a surprisingly meaty part. For him it was just a thing he did in his early 20’s and he basically forgot about it.

Fast forward to us dumb 14 year olds hanging out, doing drugs and watching schlock absolutely losing our poo poo because what the gently caress is Mr. Greco doing in our lovely tv+vcr that we keep in the woods. And that friend wasn’t even there so we couldn’t ask him. Just 4 dudes in a lean-to in the woods, trying to figure out if we were going crazy or if we got some really weird weed or what the gently caress. The idea that he was in the tv+vcr because he acted in the movie was never even considered. And this was before any kid would’ve had a cellphone, plus we were pretty deep in the mountains : by the end of the weekend we’d sobered up and started assuming this was an elaborate prank, just because what other explanation could there be????

It was a complete anticlimax at the end though. When we got to school and saw the friend, he didn’t know (and didn’t appreciate being accused of a malicious conspiracy), so we had to wait another day for him to go home and ask about it. All for the response of “o yeah, I was in some dumb movie called ‘Fighters’ or something”.

Amazing, my mother in law used to be roommates with Deborah van Valkenburgh. She was kind of an rear end in a top hat, apparently!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Xiahou Dun posted:

This owns. He did a great job in the movie, too.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the warriors video game also rules

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wasn't Martin mostly shot in Braddock?

his house was in braddock, the various other locations were in and around the east end. i knew the family that was living in one of the houses in swissvale, by total coincidence, which led to me trying to find the other identifiable spots with limited success.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Amazing, my mother in law used to be roommates with Deborah van Valkenburgh. She was kind of an rear end in a top hat, apparently!

One of my co-workers was roommates with Tiffany Helm from Friday the 13th: A New Beginning. Through that, she also knows Brooke Bundy who was in NoES Dream Warriors and NoES 4. She said they're both nice and really enjoy meeting fans on the con circuit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crescent Wrench posted:

This can backfire though and lead to constant mockery like when I told my friends that It Follows really didn't do a good job portraying Detroit but then I found out it was filmed in Detroit hahaha

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Another big reason New York City doesn't look like a hellscape in movies for a few decades is 9/11. Recall that in Godzilla just three years earlier New Yorkers were portrayed as being mildly annoyed that a giant lizard was killing hundreds of thousands of people, complaining that it was just another parade or that the F train would be late. Then 9/11 happened and ever since movies set in NYC show the citizens as strong and proud, and there's probably a scene of them all banding together to do something or other.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Another big reason New York City doesn't look like a hellscape in movies for a few decades is 9/11. Recall that in Godzilla just three years earlier New Yorkers were portrayed as being mildly annoyed that a giant lizard was killing hundreds of thousands of people, complaining that it was just another parade or that the F train would be late. Then 9/11 happened and ever since movies set in NYC show the citizens as strong and proud, and there's probably a scene of them all banding together to do something or other.

Say what you like about Godzilla but I loved that films depiction of New York as a constantly raining grey haze. They must of used an ocean's worth of stage rain for that shoot. It's bucketing it down in every shot.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There's, as far as I know, only one horror movies set in Glasgow, the city I live in, and it's Under The Skin. That movie's whole naturalistic angle hits even harder when you can identify every single street it's filmed on.

However, more and more often now, Glasgow is standing in for other cities because we're very free and easy about tax breaks for movie productions, and Glasgow looks just enough like more expensive cities like Philadelphia and Boston that it can double for them. For example, the parade scene from the new Indiana Jones and the chase scene from the start of The Flash were both filmed on the same street, just down from Strathclyde University, behind the city chambers. Especially funny because the Flash scene features them going up and down that street about half a dozen times, stitched together to look far more elaborate.

The movie that uses it the best was The Batman though, because Glasgow has lots of big imposing gothic buildings. For example, the huge building he's standing on top of brooding in the trailer is actually the Royal Infirmary, one of the oldest hospitals in the city, and the graveyard from the end of the movie is the necropolis (yes, we have a god-drat necropolis).

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 22, 2024

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Gremlins 2 (1990) - a flying gremlin attacks a man in broad daylight, he ends up wrestling it into wet concrete at which point it flies off and becomes a gargoyle. Nobody reacts, these people have places to be and can't be slowed down.

Spider-Man 2 (2004) - New Yorkers band together with "you mess with him, you mess with ALL of us!", carrying a wounded Spider-Man on their shoulders as their savior. Nobody complains about the subway being late as hell as a result of this superhero fight.

Somebody smarter than me could write a really interesting essay about this.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That Fancy Hat over there gets it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A Fancy Hat posted:

Gremlins 2 (1990) - a flying gremlin attacks a man in broad daylight, he ends up wrestling it into wet concrete at which point it flies off and becomes a gargoyle. Nobody reacts, these people have places to be and can't be slowed down.

Spider-Man 2 (2004) - New Yorkers band together with "you mess with him, you mess with ALL of us!", carrying a wounded Spider-Man on their shoulders as their savior. Nobody complains about the subway being late as hell as a result of this superhero fight.

Somebody smarter than me could write a really interesting essay about this.

How are you gonna mention Spider-Man but not the "we throw garbage at the Green Goblin because we love NY" from SM1

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think Doomsday is set in glasgow. Or parts of it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

How are you gonna mention Spider-Man but not the "we throw garbage at the Green Goblin because we love NY" from SM1

Spider-man is an edge case, the filming was finished in the summer of 2001 but that scene was added in a reshoot after the attack

Remember the ad where Spidey catches a helicopter in a web slung between the WTC towers?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Don’t forget the poster with the towers in the eye reflection.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

Say what you like about Godzilla but I loved that films depiction of New York as a constantly raining grey haze. They must of used an ocean's worth of stage rain for that shoot. It's bucketing it down in every shot.

Yea I watch Godzilla(1998) every now and then, it's actually a really nice looking movie when Godzilla isn't on screen. It has that classic 90s blockbuster look that I grew up with that has now been completely obliterated by digital photography and overuse of greenscreen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw that Spider-Man trailer in the theater

I thought it was a Pepsi ad or something.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1760697504427893208

:hellyeah:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Looks pretty fun, shame it has noted Zionist lunatic piece of poo poo Brett Gelman.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024
which is your favorite ‘Repo’: (1) the 1984 punk classic pseudo sci fi film featuring Emilio Estevez or (2) the 2008 original LA stage production-turned-cinematic rock opera featuring a balls-to-the-walls all star cast that still throws me for a loop.

please do not mention the Jude law film. i do not want to tell you why because it doesn’t matter and is funnier that way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked the Jude law movie more than the genetic opera

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

databasic posted:

which is your favorite ‘Repo’: (1) the 1984 punk classic pseudo sci fi film featuring Emilio Estevez or (2) the 2008 original LA stage production-turned-cinematic rock opera featuring a balls-to-the-walls all star cast that still throws me for a loop.

please do not mention the Jude law film. i do not want to tell you why because it doesn’t matter and is funnier that way.

The Jude Law film.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
in my opinion the geography not making sense in it follows works in its favor because the movie is a nightmare and functions on dream logic

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Yeah that Jude Law movie loving owns. Great soundtrack too. That rock opera was rear end. Couldn't finish it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's weird that the Jude Law movie isn't a big cult classic. I think the other Repo kinda hosed it, because people who wanted something weird went to the other Repo, and people who wanted a mainstream sci-fi thriller went to the Jude Law one and were like oh poo poo this is too weird for me. It perfectly threaded the needle where no one who would have liked it saw it and everyone who saw it didn't like it. And then it just sank like a stone under the cultural awareness.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

databasic posted:

(3)

Last Voyage of the Demeter is on Paramount + now.

The Good: It takes that tiny Stoker sub plot and makes a decent movie out of it. And some of the lines are good writing. Not great, but good.
The Bad: The practical and post-prod CG FX teams did not work close on the film and it shows. One shot will look good, the next, uh, not-so-good. Or neck wound prosthetic looks good; computer blood does not.
The Ugly: I couldn't get past some very large logic holes - even for a horror movie. Example: "Now we know where it sleeps." Hours later, in daytime. "We have no idea where to find it!" Also, no Dracula "Blah! Someone disturbed my bed! They must know where I sleep! I must switch it up on them!"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Repo with Jude Law owns and will prob one day be like the simpsons where its scarily accurate about the future

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I would have assumed this thread had more weird theatre kids like me who loved Genetic Opera

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I am a Genetic Opera stan first and a person second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Opopanax posted:

I would have assumed this thread had more weird theatre kids like me who loved Genetic Opera

O I love all three, but if someone emphatically tells me to not do something I’m gonna do it immediately.