Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I thought he said he should have continued using the axe bomber. A running lariat isn't the best finisher but it's better than a legdrop even taking wear and tear into account.
And I mean the last time I saw a match legit stopped was because of a lariat.

Also: I stumbled upon a Team Piper wargames segment on Youtube. I couldn't bring myself to actually watch it but I will say that was a good look for Tenta. And if nothing else kudos to Piper for giving Tenta would could have been a good rub had the concept not crashed and burned.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Running Lariats are cool and great finishers just look at Stan Hansen

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Sandman from ECW posted:

Yikes. Gross. Highly Problematic.

He gets consent my man and only does it at adult (18+) shows

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hogan was right about one other thing.

ITS NOT HOT!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Running Lariats are cool and great finishers just look at Stan Hansen

yeah if someone does a great lariat I am a ok with it being a finisher, lariats rule and look vicious when they're done right. honestly I gave Bradshaw more of a pass than I should for longer than I should because the clothesline from hell ruled and the acolytes ruled

gosh dang kazuchika Okada is the best wrestler in the world and his finisher is a lariat

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

OTOH Hogan might be why Paul Wight had a 20+ year career instead of a 10 year career. He probably would have inflicted a ton of wear and tear on his body trying to do that stuff on the reg.
I also remember when he did the missle dropkick in WCW. It took him like 3 hours to balance himself on the top rope. Personally I'd rather see 10 years of moonsaulting Big Show than 20 years of boring Big Show but I know that's selfish of me.

We've all seen just how broken down he is now just from normal wrestling wear and tear and being that big in general. We could probably count the number of times he went off the top rope on two hands, If he was going off the top rope on a regular basis he'd probably be immobilized/paralyzed by now.

If anything he probably bumped far too much for his size in general. Andre made it a huge deal when someone slammed him, Wight was taking Perfect-plexes and poo poo when he should have veto'd that poo poo but didn't have the veteran status/know-how.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
more like the Small Show

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I always thought it was weird how much of Hogan's presentation was about his giant arms, his 20 inch pythons or whatever, and then his ultimate kill move was jumping in the air and landing rear end-first on the opponent.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Drakkel posted:

I always thought it was weird how much of Hogan's presentation was about his giant arms, his 20 inch pythons or whatever, and then his ultimate kill move was jumping in the air and landing rear end-first on the opponent.

even hogan is confused is by this

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

shiksa posted:

yeah if someone does a great lariat I am a ok with it being a finisher, lariats rule and look vicious when they're done right. honestly I gave Bradshaw more of a pass than I should for longer than I should because the clothesline from hell ruled and the acolytes ruled

gosh dang kazuchika Okada is the best wrestler in the world and his finisher is a lariat

What was it, Jake the Snake being asked what he thinks about everyone doing DDTs all the time and he just said “when I do it, they don’t get up.”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Drakkel posted:

At least in Japan his finisher was the Axe Bomber, I guess.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Whole thread is great but I really got a kick out of this one about the business cards

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1760631229521740198

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
How embarrassing. It's spelled stationery, Dave!

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I like the quote about Bischoff claiming that the new intro and sets and poo poo was gonna have them do a 7.0 (they did like a 4 which was the same as they had been doing for weeks)

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

VideoWitch posted:

I like the quote about Bischoff claiming that the new intro and sets and poo poo was gonna have them do a 7.0 (they did like a 4 which was the same as they had been doing for weeks)

poo poo like this is why I'm continually Baffled by people who think Bischoff knows how to save AEW or whatever the gently caress

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
bischoff... cornie... russo the podcast guys

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

shiksa posted:

one of the best parts of peak wcw is hands down Michael buffer making up his own nicknames and accolades for wrestlers that 1) no one else ever used and 2) mostly made no sense

He described the Spear and Jackhammer in purely technical wrestling terms that I can't remember exactly but it made me laugh.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

even hogan is confused is by this

I think the idea was that Hogan was America personified using the Atomic Leg Drop to get the world title back from the perfidious Iron Sheik? But then again he was using it years earlier in Japan, so, maybe it was just to get nuclear heat?

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 23, 2024

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Animal-Mother posted:

He described the Spear and Jackhammer in purely technical wrestling terms that I can't remember exactly but it made me laugh.

Vertical Lift into Jack Hammer Slam and Pin I believe.

My favorite is calling The Giant "The Ultimate Super Big Man Of Wrestling" Buffer was the king.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

BRET "HITMAN" CLARK!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Is it a bad thing that I've been a wrestling fan for almost a decade now and I still can barely remember specifics when it comes to wrestling moves beyond the super basic stuff?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
vince didnt like when you called them moves or gave them names

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Is it a bad thing that I've been a wrestling fan for almost a decade now and I still can barely remember specifics when it comes to wrestling moves beyond the super basic stuff?

I've watched wrestling on and off since the Attitude Era and I still wouldn't remember most wrestling move names if it weren't for the video games

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was the Dennis Rodman intro that got everyone convinced Buffer was being paid by the word. "He is the bad boy of basketball, even when he's good he's very bad. And he's very bad indeed. Ladies and gentlemen the Bad Boy Dennis Rodman"

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Although Big Sexy Kevin Nash may hail from Detroit, Michigan, his accomplishments make him a citizen of the world.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

drrockso20 posted:

to be fair i mostly only know moves as a result of being a little dork who spent a lot of time in create a wrestler modes

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

Whole thread is great but I really got a kick out of this one about the business cards

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1760631229521740198

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

One day I should hit up the Wayback Machine, dig up the old forum thread he's probably sourcing these from (it was infamous back in the day and would often make the rounds), and back it up somewhere. I would hate for my favorite story ever (Buff Bagwell pissing off a UK house show crowd with a terrible promo) to be lost.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

to be fair i mostly only know moves as a result of being a little dork who spent a lot of time in create a wrestler modes

Same but writing matches for my efed.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Crescent Wrench posted:

Same but writing matches for my efed.

:hmmyes:

It was a small badge of honor doing commentary for my wrestling school and having my commentary partners be surprised by how I knew the names of so many moves. Sometimes being a big dork rear end nerd is great!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

For me it was going through Fire Pro Wrestling Returns' Edit Mode religiously, which is why it always makes me smile when I can tell Excalibur did the same :allears:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Speaking of WCW and failure, Disco Inferno

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Oil of Olay all day every day

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I know they shaved half of John Tenta’s hair and beard once, and I could have sworn he wore that look for a couple of weeks but I can only find pictures of them actually shaving him. Am I imagining that he kept it for a bit?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The Steiners working stiff and injuring arn Anderson sucks. Minnesota wrecking crew 2 lol

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ganso Bomb posted:

I know they shaved half of John Tenta’s hair and beard once, and I could have sworn he wore that look for a couple of weeks but I can only find pictures of them actually shaving him. Am I imagining that he kept it for a bit?

He did keep it up for a few weeks, but it was bit like Frankie Kazarian Elite Hunter. I don't even remember the specifics of the feud (NWO b team stuff?), but he was so clearly playing second or possible third fiddle to other feuds while fully committing himself to this feud to ensure no one mistakes him for a star.

Mean Gene: "John The Shark Tenta hasn't forgotten what you did to him and is keeping his beard half shorn as motivation to avenge your disgraceful act. Will you be ready for him?"

NWO intern: "Best of luck to Shawn Hentai and I hope he gets better soon, but Hollywood Hogan and the NWO have bigger fish to fry."

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

beepo posted:

He did keep it up for a few weeks, but it was bit like Frankie Kazarian Elite Hunter. I don't even remember the specifics of the feud (NWO b team stuff?), but he was so clearly playing second or possible third fiddle to other feuds while fully committing himself to this feud to ensure no one mistakes him for a star.

Mean Gene: "John The Shark Tenta hasn't forgotten what you did to him and is keeping his beard half shorn as motivation to avenge your disgraceful act. Will you be ready for him?"

NWO intern: "Best of luck to Shawn Hentai and I hope he gets better soon, but Hollywood Hogan and the NWO have bigger fish to fry."

Shawn Hentai is a powerful username

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
john tenta kicks rear end

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Speaking of Hulk Hogan I just found a blast from my childhood, still worked even! Video should have sound

https://imgur.com/bgtMjYr

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Ganso Bomb posted:

It wasn't NWO related at all, the timeline was:

March 24, 1996: The Alliance to End Hulkamania fails to end Hulkamania at Uncensored 1996, and cracks begin forming in the Dungeon of Doom.

May 27, 1996: The Shark abandons the Dungeon of Doom and challenges The Giant to a match. He loses quickly, and Big Bubba Rogers shaves half of his head.

June 3, 1996: With half of his head shaved, The Shark gives his semi-famous I'M NOT A SHARK, I'M A MAN promo

Tenta gets a series of matches against Big Bubba, and beats him at the Great American Bash 1996, and again on Nitro the next day. He then beats Big Bubba a third time at Bash at the Beach 1996. He's still got his head half-shaved for all of those, and by July 1996 he's shaved his beard and has a pretty big mustache coming in. And that's pretty much the end of Tenta in WCW, his next and official final Nitro match on September 9 is a three minute countout victory over Randy Savage, because Savage is called away to join up with the rest of Team WCW to attack the NWO limo. His head was still half-shaven.

He had a couple of WCW Saturday night matches he lost in October, and then reappeared in March 1997 as a potential member of Team Piper, by which point he had shaven his whole head and let it grow back to an even short length.

The abortive NWO-Hunter gimmick ala Kazarian was actually Big Bubba Rogers, who turned against the Dungeon of Doom in December 1996 to join the NWO. He spent a month or so feuding with his former DoD friends Hugh Morrus and Konnan before getting injured and spending most of 1997 off TV. When he came back in September, he had a similar thing where he declared his name isn't Boss or Angel or Bubba, it's Ray Traylor and he's gonna tear the NWO apart!

He didn't, obviously, and it was barely even a consistent story beat for his remaining nine months in the company, but he beat a remarkable number of NWO members:

Randy Savage! (because he got beaten, pinned, beaten some more spraypainted, and when Savage went to go beat him up a third time the referee reversed the decision and awarded the match to Traylor!)
Scott Hall! (after losing to him once, because Larry Zybysko attacked Hall during their second match to promote their PPV match, allowing Traylor to pin him)
Vincent! (because he's Vincent)
Scott Norton (once, Norton won the first and third matches)
Curt Hennig! (repeatedly via DQ because he got attacked by other NWO members)
Kevin Nash! (by DQ in 30 seconds because Nash threw a cup of hot coffee in his face right after the bell rang)

And then he aligned with the Steiner Brothers just in time for Scott to join the NWO and betray Rick and Ray. Then he got squashed by Goldberg and went to WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

Speaking of Hulk Hogan I just found a blast from my childhood, still worked even! Video should have sound

https://imgur.com/bgtMjYr
rules