Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
An oppressed people!

I'll genocide them!

NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Nailing down an exact definition of "globalist" either comes down to "anyone I don't like" or "Jews", and I'm pretty sure with Branco it's the first one.

Like don't get me wrong, his answer's still gonna be bigoted as gently caress because he doesn't like other races, LGBT people, or Jews. But I don't think he's the type to pick up on the "crypto" part of cryptofascism so he just takes everything at face value. His caveman-level bigotry never coalesces into any grand narrative. Globalism is when a black guy punches a white guy.
If I wanted to give him more credit than he deserves I'd say in this case a globalist is a blatant capitalist he doesn't like.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Hey, politoons thread, just got this in my email:

quote:

(February 22, 2024) Matt Bors — the founder of The Nib and a political cartoonist who has twice been named a Pulitzer Prize finalist —and acclaimed artist Fred Harper (Snelson) are collaborating on an all-new 5-issue comic book series, THE TOXIC AVENGER, starring the satirical superhero of the Troma Films cult classic films. Having already spawned five films, a cartoon, action figures, a musical, and a Marvel comic book series, the Toxic Avenger is a pop culture icon. He is also perfect for AHOY Comics, a Syracuse-based publisher dedicated to satirizing horror, space opera, social satire, sword & sorcery, and superhero stories. THE TOXIC AVENGER will debut this fall.

“THE TOXIC AVENGER delivers what Troma fans want,” said AHOY Comics Editor-in-Chief Tom Peyer. “The series has violent action, gross mutations, bursting pustules, eye-popping visuals, and trenchant humor.”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Somewhere between the sacred silence and sleep!!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Doomykins posted:

An oppressed people!

I'll genocide them!

NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!!!
CONFOUND THOSE GAZA BOYS! OH HOW I HATE THEM.

THEY DRIVE ME TO KILL!

Pretend I photoshopped Israel shooting as the USA hands them ammo

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 22, 2024

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

World Famous W posted:

actually i prefer noh theatre

Whoa, big slam on theatre out of nowhere!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Here's a few rare cartoons from early 20th century Finnish cartoonist Oki Räisänen. He wanted to become a painter but ended as an editorial cartoonist first for the Agrarian party supporting Suomenmaa paper, then to Progressive supporting Helsingin Sanomat when Suomenmaa closed.

This is a self-caricature of Oki Räisänen himself (right) and columnist buddy Lassi Hiekkala. This is dated 30th August 1939 - a day before Hitler invades Poland.

"We're not catching anything and it's getting hot here as well. Shall we head to the 'front' already?"
"Sure. Let's go."

Their frontline being the newspaper, I gather this is a way of announcing a return from summer vacation.

Räisänen often depicted newspapers as personifications labelled with a paper hat. Here the party secretary of the agrarian party is "cleaning dirty laundry" of the dysfunct Suomenmaa paper, one of their party papers, while the right wing Uusi Suomi paper is quipping "Don't mind it - these things happen... we don't have any objections." Dated 23rd October 1932

Here the right wing Kokoomus party's leader Paavo Virkkunen is explaining a lost election. The moderate main branch is flanked on right by the fascist IKL, which split off into its own party after this loss (it was the parliamentary remnants of the militantly fascist Lapua Movement that attempted a coup in 1932). The left branch is labelled "free labour" which I haven't heard of before (it means 'free' as in 'free speech' not 'free beer'). Pekka Pennanen and Kyösti Haataja were Virkkunen's competitors.

"You can't start splitting this up. These appendixes don't mean division but forking that will bring more power to the political right in the future."
"But at least we want our forks into our own pots."

Dated 29th September 1933

"...the papers are writing that affairs need money, so please empty this stocking as well..."

This is during WW2, the previous political imagery has changed into more propaganda like, oorah, pull together team spirit building imagery. "Saving money into sock/stocking" is a common phrase, the same as keeping money under mattress. This is dated 1st November 1940.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

An oppressed people!

I'll genocide them!

NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!!!
:lmao:

Jumping on the "I was going to make a Dover Boys reference" train too.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Victar posted:

Kellies nomination: Most Opposite of Reality.

I think this might be a slam dunk for the win.

I can't wait to be nostalgic about this in a few months. :allears:

If that. It will probably be topped by Monday.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wow, Stantis taking an unequivocal side on a hot controversy from 2006.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Here's a few rare cartoons from early 20th century Finnish cartoonist Oki Räisänen. He wanted to become a painter but ended as an editorial cartoonist first for the Agrarian party supporting Suomenmaa paper, then to Progressive supporting Helsingin Sanomat when Suomenmaa closed.

I really like his style.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nenonen posted:

Thanks so much for sharing these!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Man they're really proud of that dumb "lawfare" thing aren't they

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

There are several Labor MPs wanting a ban on gambling ads and a few inquiries but the government hasn't moved on the issue yet.

Rowe:

Wilcox:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Commonwealth to pay $900m to coal generators (The Australian). This is due to compensation for a legislated temporary price cap on coal back in 2022 to lower household power bills.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Neito posted:

Man they're really proud of that dumb "lawfare" thing aren't they

The term has been around for decades and guess what, it was invented to describe how leftists were kept out of power in south america

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

NEW YORK PUTTING THE LEFT’S BIG THUMB ON THE SCALE OF JUSTICE
Cartoon published 02/22/2024

The New York state Attorney General, Letitia James, sounded happy and victorious when she announced she would seize buildings owned by Trump in New York City if he doesn’t pay the $355 million dollar civil fine imposed upon him by the clearly biased judge and James ally, Arthur Engoron. James ran her Attorney General election campaign based on one platform: Locking criminals up in New York. Ooops! I’m wrong—her sole goal was getting Trump. She actually stated that was her goal. Go after Trump and then invent the crime.

We’re in a banana republic now—I’ve stated that before, but I always hoped I was wrong and merely exaggerating…but obvious evidence continues to pour in proving our nation has gone bananas.

Many of our institutions have already been politicized—the FBI, CIA, IRS, and many other branches of the Deep State Swamp are clearly operating to punish Trump and protect Biden and the Democrats. Now we can add the justice system to the list — at least courts operating in blue cities and states. This means all conservative business owners in blue areas are in danger. Biden promised to unite Americans, but he, like Obama, has done his best to divide us. Blue courts attacking red businesses are just another example of that division.

You are invited to join me on SubscribeStar- a Pateron alternative, for exclusive cartoons and behind the scenes look at GrrrGraphics, Click to Join!

Engoron’s decision was not justice—his was a Stalin-like show trial designed to ‘get Trump’ despite zero evidence. There was no crime committed. There was no victim. Trump did nothing wrong, but now he must cough up a ludicrous $355 million before he can appeal. If the judge (and James) hate Trump so much, why wasn’t the fine $1 billion? Or $3 billion?

Like Ben’s Cartoons? Buy Ben A Virtual ‘Coffee’ Mmmmmm
Click to serve up a hot cup!

It’s disgusting to see Engoron and James celebrate and laugh as they enjoy their ‘victory,’ — a mockery of justice.

I can understand why Trump said he would not go after the criminals who are trying to destroy him. He said he was going to lock up Hillary, then changed his mind once elected. That only encouraged Hillary and her ilk to pull dirty rotten tricks on Trump when he was president. She and the Deep State traitors still haven’t given up. They are playing hard ball in a battle for the Republic. Now the biased, anti-Trump blue courts are playing hardball. Let’s hope Trump, once elected, throws hard balls right back at them.

Only then could we see a modicum of justice.

— Ben Garrison

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The embodiment of all legal justice, weeping because a billionaire got charged too much money for crimes

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

The idea of Donald "Bone Spurs" Trump somehow able to dunk like Michael Jordan is loving hilarious.

Also, Trump is definitely about to miss that dunk anyway because Payne cannot perspective.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yeah, about this... it's scaremongering bullshit by the organic farming industry lobby.

Wanderer posted:

Hey, politoons thread, just got this in my email:

Cool I'm never ever going to read this.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Who Are You to State the Obvious?

"you shouldn't listen to 'medical' 'experts'" ted "wart grew into my heart like a cork" rall

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Carlos Latuff

David Horsey

David Horsey posted:

I am a lifelong ferry fan.

From the time I was a little kid running around the decks of a Washington State Ferry on my family’s annual summer journey to the Olympic Peninsula, right up to a recent jaunt across to Kingston, taking a ride on one of those big boats has always been a joy. Puget Sound is the splendorous center of our water-blessed region, and our ferries offer even people of modest means the chance to cruise through all that beauty.

Sadly, though, years of underfunding, delayed maintenance and faulty planning have left the ferry system with a serious shortage of trained crew members and not enough functioning boats. As a result, ferry service has become infuriatingly unreliable for many people who depend on ferries to get to work, to get back home, to get to medical care or to simply get wherever they need to go. In 2023, from July to October alone, 1,000 sailings were canceled, either because boats were out of service or full crews were lacking.

There is not much use in belatedly pointing an accusing finger at the well-intentioned folks who have run the system as it has slipped into crisis. They did not mean to screw things up this badly, I am sure. But here we are. So, it is worth asking if there is a better way to manage the ferry fleet in the future.

In a recent Times opinion piece, former Ferry Advisory Committee chairs Dave Hoogerwerf, Walt Elliott and Ralph Young suggested that we look north to British Columbia to find a ferry system model that is working well. Up across the border, they have managed to take most of the politics out of ferry management and have kept the ferries running dependably on time.

“In 2023, (Washington State Ferries) had 1,560 annual crew cancellations while scheduling only 70% of its regular service,” the authors wrote. “By contrast, BC Ferries had 73 crew cancellations while scheduling 100% of its regular service.”

That is quite a contrast. Maybe it helps that the provincial capital is on an island. Lawmakers from every corner of British Columbia can only get to their jobs by taking a ferry, if they do not have the option to fly.

Perhaps Washingtonians should move legislative sessions from Olympia to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. That relocation might finally convince our state lawmakers that the ferries are an essential part of our transportation system that should never be neglected again.

David M. Hitch

It really does put things in contrast when you have them holding up headlines and one of the people involved is literally dead and the other isn't.

Drew Sheneman

Ed Gamble

If only there were some kind of... I don't know, law paper thingie that the Democrats had agreed to do with regard to the border. Too bad that didn't happen!

Jack Ohman

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Stahler

Goddammit, all you had to do was say "NOW Ukraine must meet its fate". Come on! It's so easy! I guess it kind of works if you put really heavy emphasis on the first syllable of "Ukraine".

Jimmy Margulies

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Kirk Walters

Lee Judge

Marty Two Bulls

Mike Smith

Paul Berge

Rivers

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

Good old Yaakov "Your Murders Make My Murders OK" Kirschen.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

JamesBont posted:

The idea of Donald "Bone Spurs" Trump somehow able to dunk like Michael Jordan is loving hilarious.

Also, Trump is definitely about to miss that dunk anyway because Payne cannot perspective.

The only way it works in my mind

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jeff Stahler

Goddammit, all you had to do was say "NOW Ukraine must meet its fate". Come on! It's so easy! I guess it kind of works if you put really heavy emphasis on the first syllable of "Ukraine".

It's still The Ukraine in their heads.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Paingod556 posted:

The only way it works in my mind

Kellies Nomination: Best edit

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Article the tenth... Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Can't imagine why he'd specifically exclude the parts of the Amendment showing they apply to criminal trials. Also that took me about no time at all to look up because I've had it bookmarked for years, which you think Garrison would too

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Crying Lady Liberty? I hope Ben's ready for a call from Kelly's lawyer

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gnome de plume posted:

Crying Lady Liberty? I hope Ben's ready for a call from Kelly's lawyer

Classic goon face blindness.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: In My Day, We Had "Snow"

Ted Rall posted:

Parents used to try to diminish their children’s complaints about dealing with inclement weather by claiming that they had it even worse when they were young. Climate change renders that time-honored tactic impractical.

First Dog on the Moon: The world’s oldest (wild) platypus was born 10 years after Taylor Swift. So much has changed since 1999!

(A puggle is a baby platypus.)

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Chris Britt

John Deering

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Also reposting this Stephen Collins from last year, because he continues to be undefeated in predicting what Liz Truss will do next...

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/01/14/fani-willis-georgia-trump/
“Seven of the highest-profile cases in the United States going to land right here?” Willis said. “No, please make it stop. God, you forgot to mention that my life and the life of my family would be threatened so regularly, I now think it’s not normal if I don’t have two death threats a week. God, you did not tell me that people would call me the n-word more than they call me Fani.”

A black woman calls out their obvious racism as obvious racism and that's deeply offensive you know, saying they're doing Bad Things
(not actually offensive to them: Bad Things)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/CheriJacobus/status/1760732790033895482?t=kQ9r4hKEu0TG3-BHryPveA&s=19

The story:
https://www.dailycartoonist.com/ind...CjzwDItrly32HuM

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Skios posted:

Andy Marlette

Somewhere in England, BoB's heart starts racing and his breathing becomes shallow.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Considering they specifically chose the most hypocritical moment possible to do this, they must really, really not want people to know about how the Civil War went

Edit: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1009782/total-army-size-american-civil-war-1861-1865/
I wanted to put 100,000 in context and turns out that's a pretty notable minority of 'em

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 23, 2024

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Behind the Bastards is currently doing a four parter on Robert E. Lee and the broader Lost Cause myth, and learning just how many of Lee's relatives joined the Union side, and how Lee was basically bribed into joining the Confederates by being given George Washington's sword was amazing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The Islamic Shock posted:

Considering they specifically chose the most hypocritical moment possible to do this, they must really, really not want people to know about how the Civil War went

Edit: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1009782/total-army-size-american-civil-war-1861-1865/
I wanted to put 100,000 in context and turns out that's a pretty notable minority of 'em

Every Confederate state except South Carolina had at least one full regiment worth of unionists in one Union army or another. Secession ordinances in many cases were passed by minority votes marked by voter intimidation and outright violence against unionists and their sympathizers by the state militias, between whom and the slave patrols a Venn diagram would be close to just a circle. The idea of there being a united Southern dream of secession and independence is very much a wartime myth amplified by the Lost Causers.

Skios posted:

Behind the Bastards is currently doing a four parter on Robert E. Lee and the broader Lost Cause myth, and learning just how many of Lee's relatives joined the Union side, and how Lee was basically bribed into joining the Confederates by being given George Washington's sword was amazing.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate Evans slagging on Lee for the piece of poo poo he was, but I think he's downplaying how much he wasn't, until very late in the war, actually in overall command of all Confederate forces. For most of the war he only had direct command over the Army of Northern Virginia, as Davis didn't appoint him to total command until February 1865. Now, did he have the prestige that he could have asserted command over the Western armies and develop an overall strategy on his own if he wanted to? Sure, but given how frequently Davis interfered with such matters and how jealous he was of his powers and prerogatives as Confederate president I argue Evans is within this one, narrow context criticizing Lee for things that weren't wholly his responsibility, but rather a broader failing of the Confederate state as a whole.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: In My Day, We Had "Snow"

Not a bad Rall considering. Inoffensive message, visuals definitely not lazy by his standards, somewhat clever, and it doesn't involve him being narcissistic.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Phlegmish posted:

Not a bad Rall considering. Inoffensive message, visuals definitely not lazy by his standards, somewhat clever, and it doesn't involve him being narcissistic.

That kid has a broken ankle though

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JamesBont posted:

That kid has a broken ankle though

Well back in the war, I didn't even have shins, but I still managed to kill fiddy men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Skios posted:

"They bought him off with a sword" feels like something a politician would do today so good to know we've always had this problem of easily swayed nerds.