Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Smythe posted:

since 2000 this has been the config:

intel nvidia: normies, probably better, way better drivers, more expensive. Just Works

amd ati: edgy, badass, needs more fans, water cooler, hacked drivers, insane power if you can master it, subdue their demons. epic gamer parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

toggle posted:

can someone explain to me why nvidia is worth 1.94 trillion dollars?

they got to ride the bitcoin high and now jumped into a eightball of AI

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

toggle posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4026915&perpage=40&pagenumber=2234#pti33

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

toggle posted:

it might been here that brought it up, but the real money in ai is/will absolutely be selling the cloud compute to run it. that’s why Altman wants 17 trillion actual dollars to fund his chips, and that’s why nvidia will be printing money for just about forever.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

meanolmrcloud posted:

it might been here that brought it up, but the real money in ai is/will absolutely be selling the cloud compute to run it. that’s why Altman wants 17 trillion actual dollars to fund his chips, and that’s why nvidia will be printing money for just about forever.

it must be so much fun to be on nvidia's board of directors these past couple of years, selling shovels in two separate fools gold rushes

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

glad the shareholders will be seeing record profits

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it must be so much fun to be on nvidia's board of directors these past couple of years, selling shovels in two separate fools gold rushes

lmao i totally forgot about the whole "oh no we're totally not marketing cards for bitcoiners! see, we're releasing LOW HASH RATE cards!" thing

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

FistEnergy posted:

We'll get rate cuts by the end of the year even if they're not warranted, to goose the administration's reelection chances.

I don't think the fed reserve board wants biden to win, so why would they?

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

Forget NVDA

Look at COCO

enjoy chocolate while you can

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Scarabrae posted:

enjoy chocolate while you can

it’s already impossible to do that in americhloraquat
all chocolate is half palm oil at this point

ImWithHer88
Feb 8, 2024

by Pragmatica

toggle posted:

glad the shareholders will be seeing record profits

congrats to Mrs Pelosi on her retirement

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i am harry posted:

it’s already impossible to do that in americhloraquat
all chocolate is half palm oil at this point
just chocolate? bro, like every single mondelez/kellogs/gm/pepisco/unilever/nestle/kraft pre-packaged foods are half palm oil at this point

americans themselves are probably more palm oil than blood

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:52 on Feb 23, 2024

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

those orangutans had it coming. :colbert:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

toggle posted:

Number go up

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
gosh i hope nothing happens to tsmc

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

toggle posted:

they manufacture essential equipment for the procurement of an essential reagent in the ritual that can force Eminem to pay you a million dollars for a cartoon picture of a monkey in a wife beater smoking a cig

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lmao this has to be my favorite shrinkflation:

no that's not just marketing, they literally made the product much worse. the new one is insanely cheap plastic garbage that doesn't function compared to the old design

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

toggle posted:

videogames are very popular nowadays, and many people are finding they need a heavier "video game card" to play the latest mario or pokenmon game

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mola Yam posted:

videogames are very popular nowadays, and many people are finding they need a heavier "video game card" to play the latest mario or pokenmon game

have you played the switch? it has poo poo hardware

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Mustached Demon posted:

nvidia solves this

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

You won't care

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh man we have a family friend who worked as a FA for Eastern Airlines in the late seventies which was wild.

They used to say being a pilot was a "Cadillac Job" because you could buy a new one every paycheck. The partying was about as insane as you could imagine it, and the most attractive FA would get the international flights so they could party with the pilots on the layovers. The "24 hours from drink to stick" was more of a uh....suggestion than a hard and fast rule.

She never mentioned that scale, but said they had to be able to fit through a narrow ring or else they'd be put on probation until they could safely navigate the narrow aisles of the plane. This was the justification at the time.

She also joked that no one was overweight because they were all living on cocaine and cigarettes.

Having only experienced cash strapped domestic airlines its strange to understand that at one time that business was of of *the* desirable jobs. Never clicked that all the road, park, rest area, and supporting economic infrastructure for road tripping (today decrepit and abandoned, like soviet ruins) were there because they were what you did before the airline business came along.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

BULBASAUR posted:

Having only experienced cash strapped domestic airlines its strange to understand that at one time that business was of of *the* desirable jobs. Never clicked that all the road, park, rest area, and supporting economic infrastructure for road tripping (today decrepit and abandoned, like soviet ruins) were there because they were what you did before the airline business came along.

i mean commercial passenger airline business has been around for like 80 years, pretty much as long as suburban car sprawlculture. majority of americans don't ever fly and have never flown before.

but material conditions are worse and neoliberal rot has set in. we used to do tons of rv/camper trips to see ghost towns n do rock hunting everywhere west of the 100th meridian in the early 90s - aughts, and definitely there's a ton of park and rest area rot these days. its sad that most parks have old wooden signs and info plaques from like 1980 all bleached, cracked, and faded, or bathrooms that were last boarded up in 2007 and never came back. but that's just america

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
anyways i don't know how much non-pilot airline was "desirable" rather than being something new and flashy with glitter in pop culture. plus "get to see venice! paris! rome! tokyo! experience the world while working!" suck-and-gently caress coke-around-the-world jack kourac beat bullshit

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

toggle posted:

Have you SEEN modern jiggle physics?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

toggle posted:

Number... go up!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIGygrWL4Zs

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

Have you SEEN modern jiggle physics?
Nvidia CEO showed the Davos billionaires some raytraced anime babes and their minds were blown

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

i am harry posted:

Early each month, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) of the U.S. Department of Labor announces the total number of employed and unemployed people in the United States for the previous month, along with many characteristics about them. These figures, particularly the unemployment rate—which tells you the percentage of the labor force that is unemployed—receive wide coverage in the media.

Some people think that to get these figures on unemployment, the government uses the number of people collecting unemployment insurance (UI) benefits under state or federal government programs. But some people are still jobless when their benefits run out, and many more are not eligible at all or delay or never apply for benefits. So, quite clearly, UI information cannot be used as a source for complete information on the number of unemployed.

Other people think that the government counts every unemployed person each month. To do this, every home in the country would have to be contacted—just as in the population census every 10 years. This procedure would cost way too much and take far too long to produce the data. In addition, people would soon grow tired of having a census taker contact them every month, year after year, to ask about job-related activities.

Because unemployment insurance records relate only to people who have applied for such benefits, and since it is impractical to count every unemployed person each month, the government conducts a monthly survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940, when it began as a Work Projects Administration program. In 1942, the U.S. Census Bureau took over responsibility for the CPS. The survey has been expanded and modified several times since then. In 1994, for instance, the CPS underwent a major redesign in order to computerize the interview process as well as to obtain more comprehensive and relevant information.

There are about 60,000 eligible households in the sample for this survey.

Why don't they just ask Google? Google knows what I ate for breakfast, how much it cost, and how long it took to digest. Calculating U6 should be easy.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

anonumos posted:

Why don't they just ask Google? Google knows what I ate for breakfast, how much it cost, and how long it took to digest. Calculating U6 should be easy.

we’ve been over this, they don’t want an accurate number.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Reddit Files to Go Public, Reveals That It Paid CEO $193 Million Last Year

quote:

Feb. 22, 2024

Nineteen years after its founding, the social media network Reddit filed paperwork to go public on Thursday. “I have never been more excited about Reddit’s future than I am right now,” CEO Steve Huffman said in a letter announcing the news. Last year, the company generated $804 million in revenue, up more than 20 percent compared to 2022. Public filings also showed that Huffman and Reddit’s chief operating officer, Jennifer Wong, were paid $286 million in 2023, including stock and option awards (the value accrues over several years, and the current cash value is substantially lower). On average, over 76 million people visited the website each day in December, the company said. Huffman co-founded Reddit with his college roommate Alexis Ohanian, who is now married to Serena Williams; they sold the company for just $10 million in 2006. As of 2021, it was worth $10 billion. Huffman returned as CEO in 2015 and has been working to set the company up for an IPO. As one example of its financial prospects, news broke this week that Google will pay Reddit $60 million per year to use its content to train AI models.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdtx/pr/insider-trading-husband-illegally-profits-17m-after-using-wifes-private-company
lol pretty sure "eavesdropping" was just a cop-out but it's still a big lol that in america some rando ik can get sent to jail over loving with the lepers colony browsing experience stock market investment

quote:

HOUSTON (AP) — A word to the wise: If you overhear your work-from-home spouse talking business, just forget anything you may learn from it. And most definitely do not trade stocks using what authorities will almost certainly view as inside information.

Tyler Loudon, a 42-year-old Houston man, learned this lesson the hard way. He pleaded guilty Thursday to securities fraud for buying and selling stocks based on details gleaned from his wife’s business conversations while both were working from home. He made $1.7 million in profits from the deal, but has agreed to forfeit those gains.

Things might have turned out differently had Loudon or his wife decided to work from, well, the office.

Loudon’s wife worked as a mergers and acquisition manager at the London-based oil and gas conglomerate BP. So when Loudon overheard details of a BP plan to acquire a truck stop and travel center company based in Ohio, he smelled profit. He bought more than 46,000 shares of the truck stop company before the merger was announced in February 2023, at which point the stock soared almost 71%, according to the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Loudon then allegedly sold the stock immediately for a gain of $1.76 million. His spouse was unaware of his activity, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Texas.

Loudon will be sentenced on May 17, when he faces up to five years in federal prison and a possible fine of up to $250,000, according to the U.S. attorney’s office. He may also owe a fine in addition to other penalties in order to resolve a separate and still pending civil case brought by the SEC.

meanwhile nancy pelosi just bought another $500 million of nvidia and shorted US Steel buyout

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
also you missed the part where they still lost like $100 million, if only they had paid steve hufflepuff a little less....

though i guess the CEO pay in stock options may not count towards that anyways. supposedly it was 600k cash and the 192 million in options

this ipo is going to be a loving disaster and i can't wait :munch:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

this explanation sounds made up. like, I don't think it works that way at all. maybe they're oversimplifying it and they just wrote lovely cuda.

Chatgpt wrote it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

this ipo is going to be a loving disaster and i can't wait :munch:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

What was the 80s equivalent of influencing? Stand up comedy?

Running a cult.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Probably getting laid off today. Doing my part for number.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

toggle posted:

Our secret weapon against chinese semiconductors!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Chad Sexington posted:

Probably getting laid off today. Doing my part for number.

Funemployment :toot:

drat lotta goons getting the axe this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Translating this it says the model generates a bunch of possible words. Kinda like autofill does. Then it needs to pick one to use next, kinda like autofill lets you, the user do. Apparently they do that by assigning numbers to the words and then it picked the wrong number?

This doesn't matter though. What it translates to is the system picked the wrong word. Because of a bug apparently, which like yeah doh, but the actual postmortem would be sharing why their system picked the wrong word. Obviously they're not doing that. All the number mumbojumbo is just a distraction.