Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They've said "a small number" of players were mistakenly banned and unbanned them before. I don't think they ever undid a high profile content creator ban, unless I'm forgetting something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

MJeff posted:

They've said "a small number" of players were mistakenly banned and unbanned them before. I don't think they ever undid a high profile content creator ban, unless I'm forgetting something.

I think there was the creator of d2 gunsmith?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

hiddenriverninja posted:

I think there was the creator of d2 gunsmith?

I thought maybe there was something around DIM or some other program I had forgotten, yeah. Quick google says, yes, he was banned, then unbanned without an appeal.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s that weird grey area of “the punishment doesn’t fit the crime but it is a crime.” Don’t use cheat programs while playing an anti-cheat game. It’s not a complicated rule.

Personally I can’t even imagine being wealthy enough off of just streaming video games that you can afford a computer that can run Destiny 2 and Total War at the same time and then developing the complacence to not have to close one game before you start playing another.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Eh I can more see playing one game, leaving the cheat thing running, then forgetting to close it before booting up D2. "Streamer tax" is pretty real and if you're trying to manage a bunch of stuff at once while also keeping an audience entertained, I can see how it could be easy to forget a step. If they legit have both running, I think that's a bit goofier and makes their story sound a bit more sketch.

I think I was loving around with cheat engine with some stupid idle game one time and forgot to fully close out of it before launching some multiplayer game. I didn't get dinged, but I think I had a moment where I noticed it was still running and though "oh poo poo that was probably not a good idea."

I don't know if the dude should be perma banned, but on the other hand, if the cheat software is known/actively used to cheat in D2, it feels like the Total War thing could just be a convenient cover story. Maybe they should have degrees of ban, and cheat software just gets you locked out of crucible and gambit for a first offense, repeat offenses get you nuked totally.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

MJeff posted:

Bungie made the call so Datto can finally win a WF. The fix is in. 😔

:hmmyes:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

General Battuta posted:

banned for CHIM...

I came to make the same joke lol

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Michael Kirkblade SHOOK

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Oxyclean posted:

Eh I can more see playing one game, leaving the cheat thing running, then forgetting to close it before booting up D2. "Streamer tax" is pretty real and if you're trying to manage a bunch of stuff at once while also keeping an audience entertained, I can see how it could be easy to forget a step. If they legit have both running, I think that's a bit goofier and makes their story sound a bit more sketch.

I think I was loving around with cheat engine with some stupid idle game one time and forgot to fully close out of it before launching some multiplayer game. I didn't get dinged, but I think I had a moment where I noticed it was still running and though "oh poo poo that was probably not a good idea."

I don't know if the dude should be perma banned, but on the other hand, if the cheat software is known/actively used to cheat in D2, it feels like the Total War thing could just be a convenient cover story. Maybe they should have degrees of ban, and cheat software just gets you locked out of crucible and gambit for a first offense, repeat offenses get you nuked totally.

He's just running Total War 2 in the background (with CheatEngine on) every time he launches Destiny for its system performance benefits.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i've definitely had cheatengine or autohotkey processes live while loading into destiny because i was loving around in a different game and forgot to close them, and been booted out of the director immediately on login by battleeye. never got a suspension or ban for it, though, so something seems odd here?

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
we'll find out later he was banned for limiting or something.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Reiterpallasch posted:

i've definitely had cheatengine or autohotkey processes live while loading into destiny because i was loving around in a different game and forgot to close them, and been booted out of the director immediately on login by battleeye. never got a suspension or ban for it, though, so something seems odd here?

It sounds like sometimes in these situations, Destiny will just say "hey, turn that poo poo off." and not open. But there's also precedent of people being banned for this specific program, so. :shrug:

It wouldn't surprise me if the "I was using it on an RTS!" thing was complete bullshit and he actually was cheating in Destiny 2.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
also the dude was cheating in rome total war not exactly a hard game to cheese the ai for someone who does speedrunning and cheesing of destiny ai.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Horsebanger posted:

also the dude was cheating in rome total war not exactly a hard game to cheese the ai for someone who does speedrunning and cheesing of destiny ai.

And it has in game cheats as he showed by his "defense" image

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
On the one hand, you have to consider if there were any actual damages when you ban people. Having the ability to cheat and not cheating isn't worthy of punishment. But at the end of the day, you press button to accept the terms of service, they can ban you if you break them. Nothing to do but cry

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
CHIM is only allowed in the Tower

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

sometimes you dodge a hit, sometimes you take it on the CHIM

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Haven't we done this before with like mostly the excuses? I wonder if bungie is gonna do the thing where they publicly show the data proof. Cause that's always funny. I feel like if they didn't have hard numbers they would've reversed it by now, as they do for a lot of people accidentally hit.

But also meltdowns over games are pretty goddamn funny so I'm hoping this ramps up over the next week personally.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well, games are their livelihood. But that actually makes it even funnier

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Seeing Destiny youtubers desperately trying to find another live service game to pivot to has been hilarious, because all the ones they pitch as "Destiny killers" are either DOA, drop off quickly, or just get shut down, so they're stuck with Destiny. It's very funny to me.

Datto I think has the right idea to just make a second channel for everything not Destiny, while running his main channel, and it seems to be working with the subscriber count at least. After The Final Shape if Bungie announces three seasons "aaaaand we're done" the amount of panic will be off the charts.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bungie is gonna try to keep Destiny going as long as possible because until Marathon launches and unless it's a massive success, it's the only thing keeping the lights on.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There's a huge spectrum in between shutting down the destiny servers and continuing to make a premium annual expansion & 4 seasons per year

It'll just gradually transition from the latter to the former over, I dunno, 7 years because bungie

Edit Tom Warren on tweeter confirmed thst they banned him for having a mod active for an unrelated single player game that does not interact with destiny 2. The ban was automated but they will not be undoing it because this type of cheat could in theory interact with destiny in the future and they're drawing their line in the sand now

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 23, 2024

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I imagine sony has a lot to say about how long destiny gets to live too, but I don't bother to think further on it anymore. I had my fun, I hope the expac is good, but I'm playing other games in the meantime and gonna see what shakes out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We know what the future is going to be- 3 episodes a year. No one has ever gracefully shut down a live service game before and Bungie probably won’t be the first

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think a lot of people are still holding out hope for new expansions, raids, etc. Not ready to see the game downshift just yet

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I hope they pull a masang soft: "Service close, thank."

E: Flysis/Ace Online was a hell of a time lol

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sweet baby jesus, I used ArtMoney a billion years ago in the original Simcity

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

I feel like if they didn't have hard numbers they would've reversed it by now, as they do for a lot of people accidentally hit.
One of the messages he posted said it had already been internally reviewed so would not be open for appeal. Sounds like they're pretty sure.

This one:

https://twitter.com/thetvCruz/status/1760536734746526077

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
It's a losing situation for Bungie if they undo the ban because then every other cheater comes crawling out of the woodwork with "oh, uh, yeah, that's what I was doing too, really!" and Bungie looks like famous-player-favouring hypocrites if they don't undo a bunch of others as well. And then several weeks later everyone's complaining even more about cheaters in Trials.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it sounds like the correct solution here is "don't run cheat software under any circumstances", which I don't feel is a big ask. Especially if having access to certain video games known to be very strict about it is very important to you. I don't know if this guy was a full-time professional streamer but if it really was his job, well, jobs have fireable offenses and streamer is no exception there

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It would be nice if it could pop up a message warning you if cheat software is still active, but I feel like that would just make it super easy for the cheat software to learn how to evade detection.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
It's a shame the 4x winning world first team is going to get broken up for this and we won't get to see them in what is almost certainly the last Destiny 2 raid. I think he's a dumbass, but considering his history in the raid race space, I'd be supportive of a reversal on the ban. All of the WF stuff is streamed and that dude did all his content live streaming, he's so good, I 100% believe he never intended or tried to use it on Destiny. For what? This dude is knocking out every piece of content and all his streams are under a microscope from the speedrun/lowman community. Like frame by frame analysis of how to time X spawn or do Y skip or hit Z objective. Moople, Quaz and Cruz have historically been really active in the lowman/speedrun server and even answer questions and give advice to people on strats.

I'm a big fan of the speedrun/lowman extreme end game space and idly follow alot of streamers/content peoples who do that. There are alot of nerds posting trios ~whatever~ with 120 views every week out of pure love for the game. I think its amusing watching the hate the community has for these guys and even goons being happy to see them burn.

I am sympathetic to people going like well what about all these other people who got banned, but they never won a world first race and yes I think that absolutely makes it an exceptional case.

The elesiuym guy who got banned for doing raid recovs can stay banned though.

I imagine Elesiyum will take someone like snazzyj on if he isn't leading his own squad but its still sad the dynasty gets messed with prior to the big 10 year end of game event.

Also Datto is so far behind the curve of like ~elite~ Destiny skill it's not even funny. If you hit the LFG channel in lowman for the next raid race, like 90% of that channels raid report puts him to shame. His time I think has past. It's something that he's mentioned on his streams as well, the glow up the lowman and speed run space (see Ageis's recently popularity) has really raised the bar imo. Trio's and Duo's are a much more challenging and engaging space where each player must assume responsibility for mechanics and aggressive add clear that I think it really makes you much much better as a player. From awareness, to positioning, prioritization, and optimization from pull to pull its just a higher, more fulfilling level of engagement in the activity. If the last raid isn't incredibly puzzle intensive, I have a hard time seeing Datto placing in the top 100. He just missed in Crota and didn't place in RoN. TBF Mr. WorldFirsts also placed like #156 with Roen and his crew claiming #1 in like just over 2 hours IIRC.

I certainly hope the last real destiny raid race is closer to Last Wish than it is to RoN, I'd love something like 5-7 encounters, 3 bosses, 3 traversals in a huge gorgeous play space. Something you could properly prog through that feels suitably epic. I hope we get another Exhibition style encounter which is IMO the absolute singular best Destiny PVE experience. Master Exhibition is just......amazingly fun.

I think TFS is the last real major DLC/Expansion we'll see out of Destiny 2 for a long time and more likely than not the last real AAA NEW raid which is a shame.

Bungie has really missed the boat in creating an endgame play loop similar to Mythic Dungeons in WoW or GR's in Diablo 3. Let me keep running grandmasters at lower and lower light levels for time/completion.....figure out how to stick various set pieces together and randomize these strikes and such. give me a rotator or GM level activities from old seasons and such. You have a pinnacle loot system and a scaling difficulty modifier already, put that poo poo together and let me grind out -35 GM's if thats what I wanna do that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vow of the Disciple is just cool as gently caress all around, I was sweating doing it first time with the symbols but turns out "that one white circle = Traveler" isn't that hard for everyone to agree on after one or two attempts

It was a four hour gauntlet because half of us were new to it lmao

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Waroduce posted:

Bungie has really missed the boat in creating an endgame play loop similar to Mythic Dungeons in WoW or GR's in Diablo 3. Let me keep running grandmasters at lower and lower light levels for time/completion.....figure out how to stick various set pieces together and randomize these strikes and such. give me a rotator or GM level activities from old seasons and such. You have a pinnacle loot system and a scaling difficulty modifier already, put that poo poo together and let me grind out -35 GM's if thats what I wanna do that.

Absolutely agree here. Yeah power scaling in M+ is way different than light scaling in Destiny, but even just tossing on more modifiers for successive clears on a seed/key/whatever would be such a fun idea within the content toolset Destiny has.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You can take GMs all the way down to -45 if you want. You won't get extra rewards for it, but you can do it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Waroduce posted:

It's a shame the 4x winning world first team is going to get broken up for this and we won't get to see them in what is almost certainly the last Destiny 2 raid. I think he's a dumbass, but considering his history in the raid race space, I'd be supportive of a reversal on the ban. All of the WF stuff is streamed and that dude did all his content live streaming, he's so good, I 100% believe he never intended or tried to use it on Destiny. For what? This dude is knocking out every piece of content and all his streams are under a microscope from the speedrun/lowman community. Like frame by frame analysis of how to time X spawn or do Y skip or hit Z objective. Moople, Quaz and Cruz have historically been really active in the lowman/speedrun server and even answer questions and give advice to people on strats.

I'm a big fan of the speedrun/lowman extreme end game space and idly follow alot of streamers/content peoples who do that. There are alot of nerds posting trios ~whatever~ with 120 views every week out of pure love for the game. I think its amusing watching the hate the community has for these guys and even goons being happy to see them burn.

I am sympathetic to people going like well what about all these other people who got banned, but they never won a world first race and yes I think that absolutely makes it an exceptional case.

The elesiuym guy who got banned for doing raid recovs can stay banned though.

I imagine Elesiyum will take someone like snazzyj on if he isn't leading his own squad but its still sad the dynasty gets messed with prior to the big 10 year end of game event.

Also Datto is so far behind the curve of like ~elite~ Destiny skill it's not even funny. If you hit the LFG channel in lowman for the next raid race, like 90% of that channels raid report puts him to shame. His time I think has past. It's something that he's mentioned on his streams as well, the glow up the lowman and speed run space (see Ageis's recently popularity) has really raised the bar imo. Trio's and Duo's are a much more challenging and engaging space where each player must assume responsibility for mechanics and aggressive add clear that I think it really makes you much much better as a player. From awareness, to positioning, prioritization, and optimization from pull to pull its just a higher, more fulfilling level of engagement in the activity. If the last raid isn't incredibly puzzle intensive, I have a hard time seeing Datto placing in the top 100. He just missed in Crota and didn't place in RoN. TBF Mr. WorldFirsts also placed like #156 with Roen and his crew claiming #1 in like just over 2 hours IIRC.

I certainly hope the last real destiny raid race is closer to Last Wish than it is to RoN, I'd love something like 5-7 encounters, 3 bosses, 3 traversals in a huge gorgeous play space. Something you could properly prog through that feels suitably epic. I hope we get another Exhibition style encounter which is IMO the absolute singular best Destiny PVE experience. Master Exhibition is just......amazingly fun.

I think TFS is the last real major DLC/Expansion we'll see out of Destiny 2 for a long time and more likely than not the last real AAA NEW raid which is a shame.

i ain't reading all that
i'm happy for u tho
or sorry that happened

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

MJeff posted:

You can take GMs all the way down to -45 if you want. You won't get extra rewards for it, but you can do it.

I've done underlight GM level raids before which is super fun and yes I can do the same thing in GMs by just lowering my light level, but I want there to be a leaderboard/reward system for epeen purposes op

Where is my destiny raider.io bungo

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

wow has ruined you and it rules

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

omg chael crash posted:

wow has ruined you and it rules

please post in a way that makes sense, your trolling has long left behind the corporeal plane and i don't want to be left out of the discussions because i don't understand your vibrations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Kith posted:

please post in a way that makes sense, your trolling has long left behind the corporeal plane and i don't want to be left out of the discussions because i don't understand your vibrations

Come play WoW with us, Kith. I saw you posting in the WC LP by Cyth!!!!