Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

the oral b io electric toothbrush is such a game changer that i’m saving money on dental hygienists even though it costs an arm and a leg to buy

crazy that americans are too fat to brush their teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

err posted:

Lol Biden is spending $20 billion to replace working cranes in ports because they were made in China.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/us-to-invest-billions-to-replace-china-made-cranes-at-nation-s-ports/ar-BB1iDwwX

hoisted by our own petard

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jel Shaker posted:

the oral b io electric toothbrush is such a game changer that i’m saving money on dental hygienists even though it costs an arm and a leg to buy

you are going to die because of your toothbrush ai
Oral-B iO Series 10 with iO Sense

oralb.com posted:

The latest addition to the revolutionary iO series is powered by A.I. to intuitively guide your brushing and provide a personalized experience like no other.

The only brush where form, function, and live feedback intersect for a clean so perfect, it’s

Out of This World Colors

Cosmic Black

Stardust White

Oral-B iO Series 10 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush with iO Sense, Cosmic Black

Galactic-inspired and guaranteed to give you a professional-level clean.

A Clean that’s Just for You

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

ill stick with my regular toothbrushes

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

mawarannahr posted:

you are going to die because of your toothbrush ai
Oral-B iO Series 10 with iO Sense

jfc

alternatively, lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

new magic wand caters to some interesting folks

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Eric Cantonese posted:

I don't think there needs to be a big "hidden" problem in addition to CRE. If we have a ton of banks whose loan revenues are tied up to CRE and CRE goes completely to hell, banks are going to have to cut losses in a way that may affect how much they can back up account holders' account balances based on revenue alone. These banks all have a lot of legacy bonds with low interest rates on their books that are going to have to get sold for a discount, which compounds the problem. It's potentially a more widespread version of what affected Silicon Valley Bank.

CRE is an especially concerning issue with smaller/regional banks that can't eat losses as well and that are also often offering better interest rates/lower fees to customers to get and keep account clients.

https://www.businessinsider.com/commercial-real-estate-delinquent-loans-bank-reserves-office-values-economy-2024-2

It could get scary.

With respect to housing prices, higher rates have perversely led to less supply. It's more expensive for real estate developers to get the financing they need to build (and God forbid they use their own money). Less attractive mortgage rates for buyers also means less demand for new construction, which leads housing builders to slow down. Low inventory gives less downward price pressure on existing properties. It's a screwed up demand/supply dynamic that doesn't fit any economic model that politicians want to acknowledge.

In a screwed up way, lowering rates might help decrease housing costs.

They frequently talk about bank issues and CRE as 2 separate issues. There are 2 different problems.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

mawarannahr posted:

new magic wand caters to some interesting folks

This is identical to the menu I present to all my potential sexual partners.

I'm a virgin.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mr Hootington posted:

They frequently talk about bank issues and CRE as 2 separate issues. There are 2 different problems.

Like, the fact that banks aren't the only lenders to CRE? Or the fact that the economic life of a lot of cities are dependent on people being in offices? I'm curious about your thoughts on that.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/02/23/apple-vision-pro-front-glass-cracked-reports/

quote:

With AppleCare, the deductible fee for a cover glass repair costs $300. Without AppleCare coverage, the same repair costs $800. Some of the owners affected say they have contacted Apple Support and have been asked to pay the repair costs, since the crack has not officially been identified as a manufacturing defect.

Apple typically introduces special repair programs for products that have a recognized hardware issue, but Apple is unlikely to undertake an internal manufacturing probe unless reports of identical defects become more widespread. Anyone with the same issue is advised to contact Apple Support and escalate their case to increase the likelihood that Apple sees a potential problem requiring a formal investigation.

lmao

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

err posted:

Lol Biden is spending $20 billion to replace working cranes in ports because they were made in China.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/us-to-invest-billions-to-replace-china-made-cranes-at-nation-s-ports/ar-BB1iDwwX

not gonna complain about domestic makework. outsourcing any and all manufacturing was a mistake that is almost impossible to come back from.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Retromancer posted:

This is identical to the menu I present to all my potential sexual partners.

I'm a virgin.

Physical menu, or one of those making GBS threads plastic placards with a QR code?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Salt Fish posted:

Physical menu, or one of those making GBS threads plastic placards with a QR code?

you joke but the woke Dutch are doing this

Amsterdam looks to ban red light district sex workers from windows

nypost.com - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 posted:

Amsterdam’s world-famous red-light district could look very different going forward as the Dutch city prepares to vote on an ordinance that would permanently close brothel window curtains in order to more adequately abide by the #MeToo movement and combat nuisance tourism.

The red drapes that line brothel windows in the renowned DeWallen district of Amsterdam are currently only closed when a client is being entertained or if a sex worker is absent. This would change if the municipal council votes to keep them permanently shut this week, The Telegraph reported.

The plan, proposed by the liberal D66 party, would mean the brothel curtains stay shut, and instead of sex workers being able to entice potential customers from the window, clients would book appointments using a QR code on their smartphones.

Some sex workers have voiced opposition to the plan, arguing it will hurt their business and make them less safe by preventing them from assessing potential dangers a client might pose.

“How can I attract clients with the curtains closed?” a sex worker named “Lucy” told The Telegraph. “They say it is for my protection, but that is nonsense. If someone denigrates me, I denigrate them back. It isn’t an automatic service I negotiate. If drunk people come, I don’t let them in.”

Politicians in favor of new process argue that online bookings replacing window negotiation will clean up nuisance tourism and change the perception people have of the city.

“The red-light district is not a lawless place,” Ilana Rooderkerk, head of the local branch of the D66, said about the plan. “Sex work has become a tourist attraction, accompanied by very undesirable, degrading behavior towards sex workers. This does not contribute to improving the position of women in the MeToo era.”

In addition to addressing the curtains in the red-light district, the measure will make other changes to crack down on nuisance tourism, including banning marijuana smoking in public areas, closing bars at 2 a.m. instead of 4 a.m., and closing window brothels at 3 a.m. instead of 6 a.m.

“We need to get rid of this image of Amsterdam as a city where you go to do all the things that aren’t allowed at home, such as drugs and prostitution,” Christian Democratic Appeal councillor Diederik Boomsma said.

“We need to overcome this jaded, faux-progressive understanding of freedom as liberation from all taboos and letting yourself go and return to a more mature understanding of freedom, as self-government.”

The overall push by lawmakers to clean up the red-light district has been dubbed the “stay away” campaign as it looks to discourage tourists from coming to the area with the intention of engaging in lawlessness.

“Some businesses misuse Amsterdam’s image to sell it as a place of ‘unlimited possibilities,'” Deputy Mayor Sofyan Mbarki said in a statement. “As a result, some groups of visitors think of it as a city where anything goes. This kind of tourism, as well as offerings specifically targeting these groups, is not considered desirable by the Municipal Executive.”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

Like, the fact that banks aren't the only lenders to CRE? Or the fact that the economic life of a lot of cities are dependent on people being in offices? I'm curious about your thoughts on that.

Ok I'm not being clear enough. A lot of the fedspeakers and yellen have said CRE is a concern and a potential problem to banks, but they have also said their are systemic risks to banks. 2 separate statements. The fedspeak is very precise with how words are said so I believe there are at least 2 problems the banking system is having to deal with currently.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wouldn't the other issue be all their garbage low interest bonds that theyre all taking huge losses on

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the fed whisperer

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Wouldn't the other issue be all their garbage low interest bonds that theyre all taking huge losses on

Yeah this is what I was thinking. The poo poo that is blowing up regionals.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I came across this video about "The most luxurious police department in the USA" and figured my homies in the DDEcon thread would have some thoughts...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYK0gB9f8Do

e:

Salt Fish posted:

If you're talking about the noodle places that you QR code into and then order via the website (but pay at the table afterwards) that poo poo is awesome. One of my favorite things about SE Asia is how you aren't special, no one is trying to be your best friend when you order; there is nothing more awkward than someone who is paid to be nice to you. Fuckin' chic fil a...

Taima has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Feb 23, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
When I was doing tourist poo poo in Los Angeles, driving by this was a tourist spot. Hearing a chorus of Eddy Murphy laughs in response to a tour guide holding up bunches of bananas was transcendent.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mawarannahr posted:

nuisance tourism

lol

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Amsterdam gonna start a Hawaii style "stay home" campaign.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Retromancer posted:

Amsterdam gonna start a Hawaii style "stay home" campaign.
Our Zwarte Piet is not your costume, buitenlander.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah this is what I was thinking. The poo poo that is blowing up regionals.

The low interest QE-era bonds aren't necessarily a problem for the banks unless they start having other revenue squeezes (like CRE).

It's technically 2 separate issues since SVB blew up due to a PE/Tech-fueled bank run and Signature blew up due to a bank run caused by the collapse of crypto.

I view this as all being interrelated. The low interest bonds are less helpful than they should be as "safe" assets in maintaining bank capitalization at the level it is supposed to be at in the face of other risks. I can see why you view it differently, though.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the biggest threat to sex workers is definitely coming from guys on public streets yelling at them

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It is actually the human trafficking that is the biggest threat

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

quote:

“We need to get rid of this image of Amsterdam as a city where you go to do all the things that aren’t allowed at home, such as drugs and prostitution,” Christian Democratic Appeal councillor Diederik Boomsma said.

“We need to overcome this jaded, faux-progressive understanding of freedom as liberation from all taboos and letting yourself go and return to a more mature understanding of freedom, as self-government.”

The overall push by lawmakers to clean up the red-light district has been dubbed the “stay away” campaign as it looks to discourage tourists from coming to the area with the intention of engaging in lawlessness.

“Some businesses misuse Amsterdam’s image to sell it as a place of ‘unlimited possibilities,'” Deputy Mayor Sofyan Mbarki said in a statement. “As a result, some groups of visitors think of it as a city where anything goes. This kind of tourism, as well as offerings specifically targeting these groups, is not considered desirable by the Municipal Executive.”

I get that it's a pain in the rear end to deal with a bunch of party animals who don't comply with laws, but this reminds me of the short-lived efforts during the 90s to make Las Vegas "family friendly." Once tourism took a hit, they went to the "What Happens In Vegas Stays in Vegas" slogan.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eric Cantonese posted:

I get that it's a pain in the rear end to deal with a bunch of party animals who don't comply with laws, but this reminds me of the short-lived efforts during the 90s and 00s to make Las Vegas "family friendly." Once the GFC hit and tourism took a nosedive, they went to the "What Happens In Vegas Stays in Vegas" slogan.

Good thing there isn't a projected recession in the near future.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

June or later for rate cuts unless something breaks.
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1761081091669246173?t=TS1uDd6Zmwk-Fj4ES9QuSg&s=19

NO OFF RAMP
https://twitter.com/timseymour/status/1761079416732504304?t=7KzaIELfgfeS25ha5G0cqg&s=19

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

theyre gonna cut rates like 3 months before the election so the economy goes up up up

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

theres going to be alot of other things going up

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Hoot, what is the likelihood of a rate cut happening and what is the fallout of heading back to ZIRP when we know that is a losing proposition?

I know keeping them high is going to gut a lot of business like a fish eventually, along with anyone with a mortgage or other debt. Curious what going back to GFC conditions does for us.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rate cut is happening sometime this year. Fed has said so.

Zirp never stopped

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

When do I get tendies, tho?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

is it working ? no

are we gonna keep doing it? yes!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Hoot, what is the likelihood of a rate cut happening and what is the fallout of heading back to ZIRP when we know that is a losing proposition?

I know keeping them high is going to gut a lot of business like a fish eventually, along with anyone with a mortgage or other debt. Curious what going back to GFC conditions does for us.

I'm not Hoot, but the the potential fallout of heading back to ZIRP is that without a lot of manufacturing capacity and supply chain robustness getting built back up, heating the economy back up is going to feed back into the price inflation that the Fed is (supposedly) trying to control. You increase demand in an environment where supply isn't necessarily increased. In fact, supply has often been decreased because the rate cut was usually triggered by something going very wrong. (This is kind of what you saw with the pandemic, where house and car prices started going absolutely insane. You also saw more temporary price spikes in stuff like pasta. I don't know if beef prices have ever come down. That's when microchip prices started going insane too and had add-on effects to the prices of other goods since microchips are in everything.)

It does sound like they are going to try to cut at least once later in the year. If nothing else, there are growing concerns about bank liquidity and, even more than fighting inflation, the Fed justifies its existence by trying to prevent massive bank failures where people can't retrieve their deposit balances.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

When do I get tendies, tho?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

KFC was like 30 dollars for a 12 piece so I imagine this thing is like 65 a pop

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Rate cut is happening sometime this year. Fed has said so.

Zirp never stopped

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

skooma512 posted:

is it working ? no

are we gonna keep doing it? yes!

thats a key strategy of the administration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

anime was right posted:

theyre gonna cut rates like 3 months before the election so the economy goes up up up

:yeah: