Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jack Trades posted:

Last Epoch protip:
If you buy Balatro then you'll have enough time to play a couple of rounds of that between every zone transition.

Nice

I'm playing Bard's Tale I between transitions but I really should check out poker cheating simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Speaking of finally joining the COF, I need to "Gain a prophecy from an Observatory telescope" but no matter which direction I pan any of these in, I don't see poo poo? Do I need more Favor first?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You get access to all the CoF stuff even if you are hard offline, right

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sab669 posted:

Speaking of finally joining the COF, I need to "Gain a prophecy from an Observatory telescope" but no matter which direction I pan any of these in, I don't see poo poo? Do I need more Favor first?

I'm only level 10ish and know very little so far, but this sounds like you're playing a completely different game :lol:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

zoux posted:

Yes.

Sab669 posted:

I had to relog before anything would show up in the telescopes.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

zoux posted:

yeah, according to the devs all cycle content like CoF is offline available from day one apart from a handful of bosses that get added eventually once they've been killed enough times online

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I haven't been able to find a Vial of Volatile Ice :argh:

When you gamble Catalysts, are you getting the Base Item shown in the shop or can it be any Base? Not sure how else to go about trying to get one... Though I only just just joined the Circle of Fortune.

For my spells in using Net, Explosive Trap, Shift, Falcon Strike thingy, and Shuriken.

I could probably swap Net for something else. Mostly just use Shuriken for when I'm out of mana.

Poteential mana issues is why I am thinking going towards Smoke Bomb, with the upgrades to consume shadows to regenerate mana and health. Now that actually working, I'll know when I get there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

queeb posted:

My prediction, 10k peak players

Edit: I say this because I don't think a 1.0 for a game that's been out for years is a huge draw like something out of nowhere like helldivers

This aged well... :imunfunny:

191,496 - playing 17 min ago
191,496 - 24-hour peak
191,496 - all-time peak

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sweetgrass posted:

yeah, according to the devs all cycle content like CoF is offline available from day one apart from a handful of bosses that get added eventually once they've been killed enough times online

Well poo poo... I never play multi-player and the only reason I was thinking of doing an online SSF character was because of the CoF thing. Sorry barely born Acolyte online... you are dead to me now.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Sab669 posted:

this has happened to me with every character I tried to join with, both on and offline - I thought it might have something to do with the fact that all the chars were created before 1.0

restarting the game once I got there has always fixed it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

qnqnx posted:

Poteential mana issues is why I am thinking going towards Smoke Bomb, with the upgrades to consume shadows to regenerate mana and health. Now that actually working, I'll know when I get there.

With 2 rings with Throwing Skills cost -3 Mana, Net becomes free, which combined with one of the passives in the rogue tree turns it into a mana generator. That said, that's not very useful if you're not spamming it between other cooldowns. I mostly use it to generate an infinite pile of caltrops (which apparently have 3000 dps for me, whatever that means for a caltrop).

You can also make Net spam Smoke Bomb for free with no cooldown, but I guess that's not very useful without points in Smoke Bomb anyway.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 23, 2024

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I thought i wouldn't have access to COF when i was fully offline, nice bonus if that's available then. :)

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

With 2 rings with Throwing Skills cost -3 Mana, Net becomes free, which combined with one of the passives in the rogue tree turns it into a mana generator. That said, that's not very useful if you're not spamming it between other cooldowns. I mostly use it to generate an infinite pile of caltrops (which apparently have 3000 dps for me, whatever that means for a caltrop).

You can also make Net spam Smoke Bomb for free with no cooldown, but I guess that's not very useful without points in Smoke Bomb anyway.

Now that's my kinda gear interaction. I'll have that in mind, if I find these rings.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I haven't been able to find a Vial of Volatile Ice :argh:

When you gamble Catalysts, are you getting the Base Item shown in the shop or can it be any Base? Not sure how else to go about trying to get one... Though I only just just joined the Circle of Fortune.

For my spells in using Net, Explosive Trap, Shift, Falcon Strike thingy, and Shuriken.

I could probably swap Net for something else. Mostly just use Shuriken for when I'm out of mana.

You’re getting the base type pictured. If you want to gamble higher tier bases, run Soulfire Bastion. I think Vial is common, so you could probably spam runes of ascendance to get one if you care enough. Or just look for COF prophecies for unique off-hands. Could also farm unique Catalyst monolith nodes in Stolen Lance.

Sab669 posted:

You probably want a good chunk of favor first, I don’t think I bothered to pick up prophecies until I was like rank 2 or 3? The early ranks come pretty quickly, you’ll probably hit r3 after a handful of mono nodes. There does seem to be some kind of display bug with the telescope, so try relogging if you’re not seeing anything through the lens. You should see constellations in the telescope with 3-6? nodes you can choose from per item type. Each prophecy costs favor (from what I’ve seen so far, cost ranges from 450-4500 per node, roughly according to how good/rare the results are) and will roll a new constellation with different nodes once you’ve chosen a prophecy. Some have multiple charges, others are one and done. The telescope interface is also a little misleading imo - panning around is functionally the same as just walking to the other telescopes.

The regional lenses affect the item types that show up within the constellation, unsure if they affect drop rates as a whole. You unlock more lens slots as you reach higher tiers, haven’t gotten far enough to look into greater lenses yet.

COF bonuses are kinda wild so far, I’ve had bosses drop like 14+ exalteds at a time, idol shrines pop out like 30 idols at once and I’m on my 3rd lp3 unique already.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

falconer is pretty dope

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How I feel every time I activate Falcon Strikes:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Little pro-tip: buy all the runes of shattering you can from every merchant as you go along.

You'll be swimming in gold even by like level 30, or at least enough gold that buying them all is trivial.

You need shattering runes to try to get specific shards to feed into crafting, and you can never have too many of them. I remember on my two previous playthroughs always emptying the vendor after every monolith run, but no reason to not start in the campaign even.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They increased the amount that vendors can stock at a time, so it's less important to buy it out every single time, imo. But still not a bad habit.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I keep a buffer of however much gold the next stash tab costs and then spend the rest on shatters

On the topic of spending gold, I'm so happy that EHG decided to make vendoring drops basically worthless. It's so nice to just be able to shatter stuff I need from wherever and throw the rest on the ground where it belongs

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 23, 2024

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

The load screens being endless is one thing, but then actually getting into the zone with party members going into their own perosnal instance is really dumb lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's incredible how much they talked about "we're working really hard to make coop actually playable, pinky promise" and not a thing thing has been fixed on that front.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Tarnop posted:

I keep a buffer of however much gold the next stash tab costs and then spend the rest on shatters

On the topic of spending gold, I'm so happy that EHG decided to make vendoring drops basically worthless. It's so nice to just be able to shatter stuff I need from wherever and throw the rest on the ground where it belongs

It’s great, but it still doesn’t stop me from compulsively picking up everything to sell even for pennies. I’m getting better, usually now I only do it when specifically heading to town for quests.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

xZAOx posted:

Little pro-tip: buy all the runes of shattering you can from every merchant as you go along.

You'll be swimming in gold even by like level 30, or at least enough gold that buying them all is trivial.

You need shattering runes to try to get specific shards to feed into crafting, and you can never have too many of them. I remember on my two previous playthroughs always emptying the vendor after every monolith run, but no reason to not start in the campaign even.

what should I shatter? do I want to shatter stuff that has multiple affixes I care about? does it matter what tier those affixes are? I'm only like level 30 if it matters

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

what should I shatter? do I want to shatter stuff that has multiple affixes I care about? does it matter what tier those affixes are? I'm only like level 30 if it matters

Higher tier can shatter into more shards, so yes. Basically just add up the total tiers of the Affixes You Care About and the higher that is the more you should shatter it (if you're not gonna use it, of course)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

Early on you’ll want to pick up some ailment cleanse on potion use (belt only). These are great candidates for sealing as a 5th affix.

Generically useful affixes like:
Hybrid Health (boots, belt, gloves)
%Health
Added Health
Any Penetration affix
Frailty and Armor Shred on hit are also great to have (amulets, gloves, I think frailty rolls on relics too)
Any class-specifics that you care about (chest, helm)
Lastly, class-specifics you don’t care about for the purposes of rolling those affixes away when you need to.
E: %all resistance rolls on shields and is less common too.

Obviously you’ll likely also want a bunch of shards of whatever your primary damage type is on the slots it can roll on - weapon, rings, belt, gloves, amulet, relic offhand?

As I get deeper into a char and accumulate shards, I start filtering for only t4/t5 of affixes I care about. I shatter most things, but if you want to maximize your shard return for a given affix and have potential to spare, use runes of removal instead.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 23, 2024

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'm having a great time playing a warlock!

Still not a fan of having to redo the campaign over and over later on though. It's what causes me to skip every other league (if not more) in PoE to not burn out anymore. These things are fun for the first time but end up being a very, very, multiple-hours-long dragged out tutorial every time past the first couple.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Clocks posted:

I'm having a great time playing a warlock!

Still not a fan of having to redo the campaign over and over later on though. It's what causes me to skip every other league (if not more) in PoE to not burn out anymore. These things are fun for the first time but end up being a very, very, multiple-hours-long dragged out tutorial every time past the first couple.

you can use dungeons to skip past it on later characters

why isn't it just a button?

:animateddiscordemojishrug:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

victrix posted:

Can you do that on a new character in a cycle or is that for characters after the first only? Because if it's the latter, it's like using twink gear as arguments. Nice, but doesn't alleviate needing to do something kind of boring for the first 5h of each league/cycle.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

victrix posted:

You still have to do all the side quests, so it's barely even a skip.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clocks posted:

Can you do that on a new character in a cycle or is that for characters after the first only? Because if it's the latter, it's like using twink gear as arguments. Nice, but doesn't alleviate needing to do something kind of boring for the first 5h of each league/cycle.
You need a key to enter them and the keys wont' drop until well after you've actually found the locations of them.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm playing a lot of act 1 right now (haven't made it any further because of zone transitions), and I love sacred blooms so much, it's like they took spires, my favourite feature from monoliths, and put them in the campaign so I didn't have to feel like I was missing out on constant aoes spawning from ~somewhere~ off screen while I'm trying to look at loot or get a glass of water or change the youtube video on the other monitor.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

You still have to do all the side quests, so it's barely even a skip.

Not completely true

Someone correct me on this but; I think theres more side quests in the game than there are rewards (of the idol slot / passive point types), so if u skip areas you can get the same rewards in later side quests

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
The one thing people who like the "skip leveling" never answer - what tier of maps are they comfortable to be dropped at with freshly created lvl1 character that is twink this "league"?

Or which size the "Win" button on twink character creation screen should be

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Erulisse posted:

The one thing people who like the "skip leveling" never answer - what tier of maps are they comfortable to be dropped at with freshly created lvl1 character that is twink this "league"?

Or which size the "Win" button on twink character creation screen should be

I can't parse what you're trying to ask but Diablo 3 didn't make you do any of the campaign. Do that.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think he's saying the monos would just one shot you at level 1. They'd have to widen the scaling for those so you can do them starting from level 1.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bamhand posted:

I think he's saying the monos would just one shot you at level 1. They'd have to widen the scaling for those so you can do them starting from level 1.

Sounds fine? Dunno what there is to discuss about that

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

I can't parse what you're trying to ask but Diablo 3 didn't make you do any of the campaign. Do that.
I'm not a huge fan of repetitive campaign playthroughs but I also think Diablo 3's way of doing it is extremely boring and really leans into the idle clicker style of game where you just do the same poo poo over and over and you're never being measured against any kind of fixed yardstick, everything just scales with you so that you're basically hitting the same enemies for the same effective damage, but the number it shows you is bigger and the Tier of Thing you can choose to do goes up accordingly. I'd much prefer there be a campaign and also a side path around the campaign that's somewhat parallel to it and takes you through levelled areas, even if you're not completing the same story beats over and over.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I don't really mind the campaign here since it doesn't feel that different from the monoliths anyway. Almost all of the objectives are just "kill your way to the next zone" or "kill your way to the boss." It's not like it has you out there collecting 20 bear pelts.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

you can't make me eat my brussels sprouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The main problem is it has a lot of loading screens and loading screens are a pain point with the server issues. Monoliths magically have no loading screens and are perfect forever.