Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Since synergy "moves" (or whatever you call the ones that don't cost anything) build ATB for both characters, is there any incentive to spam them frequently? Like when you switch to character, are you incentivized to toss out a synergy move at some point before moving on to the next character? I could see that being kind of annoying if so. Maybe there's diminishing returns if you repeat the same one multiple times in a short period?

From how you describe things, it sounds like abilities that use multiple ATB charges are significantly worse by comparison, since you could use the same ATB charges to build further towards a synergy attack.

Pretty much every synergy move is situational. They can build ATB for multiple characters but usually not as quickly as they could for a single character and they usually have some sort of limitation or risk to use. (If just because you're dragging two characters together which is bad if you mistime it and get hit by an AoE attack.) Some characters have ones you can fire and forget (Aerith's got one that makes an ally attack her target as she attacks for a period of time which is generally great) while others really are for very specific situations. (Barret's charge attack that is good for closing range while defending but kind of crap otherwise.)

The multiple ATB charge skills tend to be very powerful to compensate. Pray is generally the best heal for a huge chunk of the game for example, and Cloud has one that hits as hard as a Limit Break. Generally if something costs more than one ATB Gauge it is for a reason.

(Also I forgot, there's a fourth Synergy Ability type, which is the "temporary gain 3 ATB bars instead of 2" materia from Remake.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Just finished INTERmission and I'm extremely disappointed that the scene with the sector 7 plate falling didn't pan over to show a stuffed cat wailing in anguish simultaneously with Yuffie.

I'm still bummed Wedge died trying to be cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

I'm still bummed Wedge died trying to save his cats.

Wedge survived that! He died being thrown out a loving window by ghosts.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

You caught my stealth edit lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

You caught my stealth edit lol

I'm sorry. :smith:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly it's basically irrelevant to Rebirth, it's mostly just to inform Yuffie's backstory so if you get a flashback to a dude in an incredibly stupid jockstrap mask just know he killed Yuffie's pal and she feels guilty about it

I suspect this will be resolved in an extended Yuffie subquest where the ending is you fight that guy again and maybe the other guy.

I mean Remake had the subquest with the blue haired guy where the reward was very good but I was thinking "Why do I give a poo poo about Corneo's concierge?" the entire time, so I'm up for more of those in Rebirth.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ImpAtom posted:

My favorite characters Clod, Bullet, Euphie, Shid and Anakin.

What

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I forgot he showed up in Shrina and firmly thought he died saving his cats until I looked it up after I hit reply, it's on me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nanaki is just Anakin with the N moved to the start, to go along with Biggs and Wedge.

Edit: And Piette in Chrono Trigger. Someone at S-E is/was a huge Star Wars dork.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tifa trending for a bit there. Some teaser video got like 10M views in a day apparently.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's the horny as always.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kale posted:

Tifa trending for a bit there. Some teaser video got like 10M views in a day apparently.

It was apparently showing off one of her bikinis so, y'know, people are thirsty.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's a gameplay question: in trailers they showed how characters have different navigational abilities, like Barret shooting things or Red XIII running along walls. Are you able to manually switch your lead character outside of battle now, or are those all at scripted moments like they were in Remake?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Here's a gameplay question: in trailers they showed how characters have different navigational abilities, like Barret shooting things or Red XIII running along walls. Are you able to manually switch your lead character outside of battle now, or are those all at scripted moments like they were in Remake?

They're tied to different dungeons. You get to play as everyone at least once but only in specific areas. Cloud does get the grappling hook as a permanent upgrade after one of Yuffie's segments though.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It was apparently showing off one of her bikinis so, y'know, people are thirsty.

One? There's more!? You've ruined the game worse than spoiling the ending!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Nanaki is just Anakin with the N moved to the start, to go along with Biggs and Wedge.

Edit: And Piette in Chrono Trigger. Someone at S-E is/was a huge Star Wars dork.

Certainly more than one person, but Kitase opened a recent BAFTA talk on Rebirth and FF in general with a story about going to Star Wars with his dad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

This is really loving me up right now.

Anyway, back to the synergy ability discussion did anyone find a use for the Cloud/Barret ranged attack one? They're already the characters with the most consistent ranged options so i didn't really understand when you'd use the synergy one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This is really loving me up right now.

Anyway, back to the synergy ability discussion did anyone find a use for the Cloud/Barret ranged attack one? They're already the characters with the most consistent ranged options so i didn't really understand when you'd use the synergy one.

Like Red and Cloud it builds up both of their ATB bars (and as far as ranged options does so notably faster than Cloud's Blade Beams, though Barret's gun is significantly faster, especially if you time Overcharge charges right.) It's a good option for a situation where you want to build ATB on Cloud and Barret in a situation where a boss is not approachable for whatever reason. It's more situational than some but that is kind of the rule with synergy attacks. The defensive option (Counterfire/Iron Defense) are a lot better.

I admit there are a couple where I was just like "Wait, what's the point of this one" but I'm sure there's some gimmick I didn't get. Cait Sith in particular takes a looooot of getting used to.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 24, 2024

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
ImpAtom what’s your favourite mini game?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is this a decent broad strokes summary of "how to do FF7R fights"?

1. Find enemy weakness (or other method of pressuring) and make enemy Pressured using magic/abilities (or maybe sometimes stuff like dodging/interrupting)
2. Use skills that increase Stagger once they're pressured (since they now increase Stagger faster)
3. Go to town with biggest damage stuff + stuff that increases stagger damage ratio once Staggered

I went through most of Remake always having a very loose understanding of things, so I want to do better this time around.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ytlaya posted:

Is this a decent broad strokes summary of "how to do FF7R fights"?

1. Find enemy weakness (or other method of pressuring) and make enemy Pressured using magic/abilities (or maybe sometimes stuff like dodging/interrupting)
2. Use skills that increase Stagger once they're pressured (since they now increase Stagger faster)
3. Go to town with biggest damage stuff + stuff that increases stagger damage ratio once Staggered

I went through most of Remake always having a very loose understanding of things, so I want to do better this time around.

Pretty much. Knowing the best way to defend against different attacks is also pretty important.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

ImpAtom what’s your favourite mini game?

Queen's Blood easily

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Does Vincent and Yuffie still keep the older brother and bratty younger sister vibe?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Gologle posted:

Does Vincent and Yuffie still keep the older brother and bratty younger sister vibe?

yes. google "yuffie bratty sis" to learn more

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Can't wait to launch Tifa into enemies for 100+ hours (I mean this unironically)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

Vincent spends most of his time being a loner dork

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
With this game coming out I finally got around to playing the Yuffie DLC

Had a blast, even though it was short. Her combat is great. Had a lot of fun playing the floor is lava with her

Then I got to the final boss and was like who is this edgelord. Jesus christ is terrible. Must be some dirge of cerebus reject. Looked it up and yup. Fight was fun tho. Hectic as hell.

Anyway, ready for Rebirth!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Here's how the story goes, we find out
That the planet's dyin' Cloud, there's no doubt

He's a super soldier, how did that happen?
Yo ho ho he took a bite of mako.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Currently playing OG FF7.

Nailed it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

:females:

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

just finished intermission were the zack/church and party on the road scenes part of the pre-intergrade game? i don't remember them at all (and they obviously get thrown into the ending sequence of intermission) but i'm seeing some youtubes where they're in line with the normal game's finale

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

stuker posted:

just finished intermission were the zack/church and party on the road scenes part of the pre-intergrade game? i don't remember them at all (and they obviously get thrown into the ending sequence of intermission) but i'm seeing some youtubes where they're in line with the normal game's finale
Those were added to Intergrade.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Spermando posted:

Those were added to Intergrade.

thanks, that makes sense. it also helps explain why people were connecting the shinra TV stuff in the trailer to zack, but i dunno i think sector 7 refugees are gonna wind up at the nearby abandoned church in most timelines

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

stuker posted:

thanks, that makes sense. it also helps explain why people were connecting the shinra TV stuff in the trailer to zack, but i dunno i think sector 7 refugees are gonna wind up at the nearby abandoned church in most timelines

Some nerd in a different forum who's read all the Japanese-only Motorola flip phone-exclusive novels has been writing reams of text for years saying (Intermission ending) those aren't Sector 7 survivors, but rather Sector 7 victims, and that it's all a vision in the lifestream and Zack did in fact die on that hill outside of Midgar. His main arguments are the fact that they reused the model of one of the boys who is seen in the intro and that the cross in the church is a different colour than the in-game asset. No-one takes him seriously, but who knows where they'll go with that.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

This is just making me imagine in-universe WEAPON truthers who go on the Internet PHS Network or whatever it is and angrily post about how WEAPON doesn't exist and Shin-Ra Tower was blown up by Wutese nationalists in a plot to hide the secret mythril mine in the basement. The Sector 7 Plate didn't drop because it was a hologram and never really existed to begin with.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

With this game coming out I finally got around to playing the Yuffie DLC

Had a blast, even though it was short. Her combat is great. Had a lot of fun playing the floor is lava with her

Then I got to the final boss and was like who is this edgelord. Jesus christ is terrible. Must be some dirge of cerebus reject. Looked it up and yup. Fight was fun tho. Hectic as hell.

Anyway, ready for Rebirth!

I also really enjoyed the Yuffie DLC, except for the final boss. Really wish they just had more forms of Scarlet or something instead of those weird dumb characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

This is just making me imagine in-universe WEAPON truthers who go on the Internet PHS Network or whatever it is and angrily post about how WEAPON doesn't exist and Shin-Ra Tower was blown up by Wutese nationalists in a plot to hide the secret mythril mine in the basement. The Sector 7 Plate didn't drop because it was a hologram and never really existed to begin with.

I mean ti be fair the truth would sound like one.

SHINRA is experimenting on SPACE ALIENS. Famous soldier Sephiroth is part Alien! Horrifying Crossbreeds kept in evil lab just above Shinra Gym! SHINRA burnt down a town and rebuilt it exactly in secret!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They should have just had Yuffie kill them all. Yuffie wiping out all the edgy Dirge of Cerebus bosses in a side story DLC would have ruled.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I mean ti be fair the truth would sound like one.

SHINRA is experimenting on SPACE ALIENS. Famous soldier Sephiroth is part Alien! Horrifying Crossbreeds kept in evil lab just above Shinra Gym! SHINRA burnt down a town and rebuilt it exactly in secret!

Don Corneo sleeps in an oxygen tent that he believes gives him SEXUAL POWERS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder who at Shinra came up with the idea to just rebuild the town after Sephiroth killed everyone and pretend nothing happened. You'd think it would be easier and cheaper to just blame it on Wutai or Avalanche or something.