Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Segue posted:

Look, I get the Liberals suck and the phase-in is annoying, but seniors, children, and people with disabilities will all have access by June as the bureaucracy works the kinks out. It started slow because it's a fundamental shift in care against a deeply hostile provider (dentists), and everyone under 90k will be eligible in less than a year. That's not super slow for a national health program, even if it is means tested, it's still a very big change.

They've already said contraception and diabetes care kick in immediately, and the NDP language around single payer has me hopeful if still cynical.

I get we're all angry at the amount of push that was needed to get these in the third term of a mandate, but if we can get much cheaper childcare, dental care, and pharmacare through (much as conservative premiers try to sabotage), I consider these fundamentally good news stories even if much of the other Liberal policies are horseshit.

Can we not doompost a little bit.

Where do you think you are.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

**multigenerational households get a bad rap and we have no kids so we could do this, but my father in law is an eccentric hoarder who refuses to fix anything in his home so actually we can't

they're good and an option we're looking at but yeah everyone has to be willing to compromise.

still think it's hilarious the intergenerational household renovation tax credit can only be claimed by people 65 and older (or people on disability which is fine)

Segue
May 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

meanwhile disabled people are still supposed to survive in this country on like $1100 when the rent for a 1bed apartment is $2k a month

This is what really fucks with me. The feds are slowly talking about doing their own program (lol) because conservative provincial governments are actively killing people by gutting these programs which were already awful. Ford and Smith especially. It's literally criminal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Segue posted:

This is what really fucks with me. The feds are slowly talking about doing their own program (lol) because conservative provincial governments are actively killing people by gutting these programs which were already awful. Ford and Smith especially. It's literally criminal.

good news, disability advocates talking to the federal government were told "don't get your hopes up it's a deficit year and the inflation is high we have to be fiscally responsible with program spending" so yeah still gonna get hosed nine ways to sunday

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Arivia posted:

good news, disability advocates talking to the federal government were told "don't get your hopes up it's a deficit year and the inflation is high we have to be fiscally responsible with program spending" so yeah still gonna get hosed nine ways to sunday

https://x.com/mossrobeson__/status/1760348487521116342?s=20

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Arivia posted:

Like just print some money and give it to the disabled people. It will increase inflation by like 0.0000001%. They want disabled people to be immiserated to act as a warning to the proletariat.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arivia posted:

Haha hell yeah. Anyway like a week ago they announced another $100,000,000 for Ukraine in the form of drones lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Segue posted:

do you know where you are?

e: f;b

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arivia posted:

lmao.

yeah, inflation is high. this might somehow correlate to the issues people on social support programs are experiencing. idk, i'm no economist

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
if we wait long enough, something good is bound to happen.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, the good news is that we will achieve true equality in the heat death of the universe

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Arivia posted:

meanwhile disabled people are still supposed to survive in this country on like $1100 when the rent for a 1bed apartment is $2k a month

okay but have you considered they could simply move to Westlock, Alberta?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...fa-c3fa433e492b

Then disabled people would only be $150 short a month on rent :smug:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

well... only $150 short until they get the power bill after running that electric baseboard heater at -30 celsius, anyway

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

It's cool that my phone spies on everything I type because now when I open Chrome I'm presented with a link to a news story about how pride flags are banned in Westlock now

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

pokeyman posted:

"Singh said the legislation "clearly points to [a] single payer" system"

sounds legit

means tested taxable loans for underprivileged small business owner prescriptions

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
dentalcare is single payer and that payer is Sun Life

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Segue posted:

Look, I get the Liberals suck and the phase-in is annoying, but seniors, children, and people with disabilities will all have access by June as the bureaucracy works the kinks out. It started slow because it's a fundamental shift in care against a deeply hostile provider (dentists), and everyone under 90k will be eligible in less than a year. That's not super slow for a national health program, even if it is means tested, it's still a very big change.

They've already said contraception and diabetes care kick in immediately, and the NDP language around single payer has me hopeful if still cynical.

I get we're all angry at the amount of push that was needed to get these in the third term of a mandate, but if we can get much cheaper childcare, dental care, and pharmacare through (much as conservative premiers try to sabotage), I consider these fundamentally good news stories even if much of the other Liberal policies are horseshit.

Sir, this is a political thread full of goons

This is what you ordered sir I'm sorry (not sorry)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

isn't that the town that just banned pride flags

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Everyone's talking about Westlock

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

dentalcare is single payer and that payer is Sun Life

man gently caress when i worked at skip they changed to sun life insurance and it was the best fuckin insurance i ever had in my life including when i worked for the province :smith:

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

CLAM DOWN posted:

isn't that the town that just banned pride flags

yeah but only because a majority of the inhabitants (Albertans) wanted it.

quote:

The results of a plebiscite Thursday mean the town of 4,800, about 90 kilometres north of Edmonton, will only allow flying government flags and crosswalks painted with standard white stripes, and a rainbow-coloured Pride crosswalk will be removed.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

“It’s not appropriate for the symbols of special interest groups to be showcased in such a prominent way. It’s a form of bullying,” said Pedersen, who had attempted to introduce a similar petition before the crosswalk was painted last year.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

honestly the brain moves one has to make. simply incredible. flying a pride flag is now bullying lmao

these religious nuts i swear to god. theyre all the same. fundy christians and muslims, so hateful

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

this one is just too good (CTV via TikTok)

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMMdHPCKU/

TPS trying to rules-lawyer out of hitting someone in broad daylight lmao

love the commentary that the budget increase might lead to more pedestrians hit

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mediaphage posted:

honestly the brain moves one has to make. simply incredible. flying a pride flag is now bullying lmao

these religious nuts i swear to god. they’re all the same. fundy christians and muslims, so hateful

Bullied by the gays. I heap endless shame and dishonour on The House of Chud.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

boundless fragility. bullied by a rainbow, amazing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

as always with these fucks its projection. on some level in their psyche they know theyre bullying people so they lash out and accuse the other side of it because they regain a logical consistency that their actions are entirely justified

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

a primate posted:

this one is just too good (CTV via TikTok)

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMMdHPCKU/

TPS trying to rules-lawyer out of hitting someone in broad daylight lmao

love the commentary that the budget increase might lead to more pedestrians hit

it's entirely possible in modern vehicles that when you're turning left, the A-pillar perfectly blocks your vision of the pedestrian, as you continue the turn and they continue walking across the street. I've almost hit somebody before like this when driving a big truck, and it makes me feel horrible.

it's obviously still your fault as a driver if you do hit or even almost hit somebody. you have to be aware of what's going on around you, and drive slower if you know your sightlines are bad. that cop was driving like a psycho, so like a regular cop.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibQkzwgD47c

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

lol forever at "you're fighting for the norms and rules the whole world agreed to"

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Personally I was a fan of the barely disguised Blood and Soil followed by pretending there wasn't a coup:

"You are fighting for your sovereignty, for your territory, for your language, for your culture, for your democracy (elections suspended, opposition banned) but also for our democracy (there's a scary thought) for everyone's deeply held right to choose their own future"

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Choose your own future (as long as you aren't a Russian speaker east of the Dnieper)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Fight for your language (by making the mother tongue of half the population official lesser)

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

DaysBefore posted:

Choose your own future (as long as you aren't a Russian speaker east of the Dnieper)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
fake news, Putin was standing right there when the pollsters asked their questions

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

As stupid as the Westlock thing is, I think that pride crosswalks outside of historically gay neighborhoods is also kind of stupid.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

As stupid as the Westlock thing is, I think that pride crosswalks outside of historically gay neighborhoods is also kind of stupid.

well before it was also a sign of acceptance. if you limit pride crosswalks to historically gay neighbourhoods you'll have like six crosswalks in north america

if you live anywhere else go gently caress yourself i guess

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Also gay people can live anywhere now too, in fact there might be one in your town too! :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Chillyrabbit posted:

Also gay people can live anywhere now too, in fact there might be one in your town too! :ghost:

yeah but my town has warded and blessed the crosswalks so they have to stay on their side of main street.