Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Pollyanna posted:

That sounds nearly impossible in the early game.

I've found it to be a very powerful starting game deck. The first set of blinds is pretty easy to do in one or two hands. Full House almost clears all of them without any jokers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

The Kins posted:

There's been at least one minor update on Steam. Just some small bug fixes.

In other news, GamesRadar did an interview with LocalThunk shedding light on the game's origins.

It was originally intended to be a simple version of Big Two for a small circle of friends to play against each other online, but then they watched some videos of someone playing Luck Be A Landlord and killed the online focus in favor of a single-player chase for More, Bigger Numbers, at which point personal circumstances suggested that making it a commercial product would probably be a better idea than sticking to the original intended audience of, like, four people.

They intend to keep updating the game as long as it stays fun to develop, but there's no plans or roadmap or whatever.

i would honestly love a 1v1 online multiplayer mode where you're trying to build bigger badder numbers than your opponent

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I finally made it to Ante 12 on the back of Fortune Teller, Blueprint, Hologram, Mime, and a huge pile of Steel cards. 300 million blind was too high of a wall for me to the climb though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

lol

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Ante 12 Small Blind... I kneel...

The deck got really powerful really quickly, and I didn't realize it until I had beaten a couple rounds with one hand, where I was just playing number cards to try and find 3 of a Kind faces. I missed out on at least 2X multiplier from vamp not just rabidly discarding until I had any combination of five face cards to gold and then drain. I still don't know if I would've outscaled this. If I'd spent all my money on rerolls the ante before and optimized vampire the whole run I probably could've, though. Midas Mask + Vampire is so obscene.

edit: oh my god it's a JoJo reference

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 23, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Got orange chip down on checkered deck :toot: The margin here was quite a bit thinner than I would have liked, but a win's a win. Took me 5 tries, which was a hell of a lot faster than clearing orange chip on blue deck.

I skipped one of the early rounds for a foil card reward and got an eternal Trading Card, which was a combination early boost from the foil + economy + deck thinning. Since I'm the checkered deck I don't really have to care about wasting a discard every round, since having a deck that's 2/3 spades means I can just play a flush every hand regardless. I wound up finding a ton of x-multipliers including a polychrome queen that I copied three times, but I had very few sources of base multiplier (including from flush levels since I had bad luck finding the right planet and then I ran into The Arm), which meant I wound up copying Red Card instead of any of my x3 multipliers. If I had blueprint instead of brainstorm it could copy Throwback Joker and throw another x3.25 on top of Red Card, but since I could only copy the leftmost joker and I needed to boost my base multiplier before it became worthwhile to apply x3s it was usually better to just copy Red Card for another +40some multiplier... except when playing a single clutch holo jack of spades I found in a card pack. That plus two polychrome queens in a flush took out about 2/3 of Cerulean Bell (I am extremely proud of myself for not torching the run by blowing all my good cards in the first hand before the multiplier for playing the same hand again came online.)

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

I had Oops! All 6s on my last run, making Wheel of Fortune 50% likely to hit. Not a single one hit after that, probably a dozen. Lol

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Searching through this thread, am I the only one who had the game crash? I got a terrible first impression.

I bought it since everyone was talking about the release, and then it crashed when I tried to play my first hand in the tutorial. And the crash left the tutorial flag cleared, so I had to delete my entire Balatro appdata folder to get the tutorial back since it's not per-profile nor can you voluntarily so the tutorial again (even if maybe the TUTORIAL seed gets you the same initial cards and such).

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
finally beat checkered deck orange stake with a power combo of Supernova, The Tribe, Drivers License, and a foil Hologram joker. Supernova juicing up the base mult for each flush, then X2, X3, and I had Hologram built up to X4 by the time I beat the final ante. mix in some steel cards in there and I was crankin out the chips

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Steel cards are so good and the steel card joker is op. I've even picked the steel tarot over wheel of fortune at times (and I'm sorry).

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've seen a couple people with thinned decks, which somewhat surprises me. My best runs generally have me going --fat--. (Like 60 plus cards) And it seems like removing only a sporadic few cards would be troublesome to making straights consistently, and straights have some of the better synergies and also scale better than almost everything.

When you discard out and have to make really specific combinations, I don't think deck thinning makes a lot of sense at all. It clearly works for poopacy who is clearing orange, but...

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

one day I will not take the wheel of fortune card every single time it comes up

that day is not today

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ceremonial Dagger + Egg = hell ya brother

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Well deck thinning is just one strategy, a welcoming difference to most deck builders where it's the only strategy. Thinning a deck of 52 isn't easy, but it's good when you've got a full house or four of a kind run like the one I just had. Unfortunately I was playing the black deck and ended up less than 200 chips short of winning.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Even with the discounted price, 250,000 copies is like 4 Million (before steam/PS/Xbox cut), so I'm pretty sure the developers are very happy with the reaction :)

Somethings I thought about with green decks, but they work well with other decks too.

Ante 1: Even with Green Deck, where you get paid for discards remaining, don't play any hand that A) Doesn't have at least 4 cards (and almost definitely flush/straight/Full House is the way to go)
Early Antes: When you use a "convert 3 cards into a suit" tarot card, pay more attention to the suit than the number. Flush decks get a LOT better when it's 16/10/13/13 instead of 14/12/13/13, it also gives you targets to get rid of.
If you get one or two +multiplier jokers early, save money instead of filling things out more with things that don't fully synergize with your jokers/deck idea
If you run Green Deck especially, Delayed Gratification will be the equivalent of attaching a supercharger to your money engine.
early on, it's an auto skip if they offer a polychrome or a Holographic Joker, and it's just about always a good idea to skip if you get a negative joker.
Fibonacci is a run winner.
If you want to try everything without having to unlock it, create a second profile, switch to it, and click "Unlock everything" in the profile. You won't be able to get steam achievements while using that profile, but it will let you try out all the jokers, and all the deck types without having to unlock them.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 23, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've found it easier to transmute undesirable cards than to remove them. There are plenty of ways to accomplish turning a whole deck into clubs, or sevens, or whatever. It can be useful however. I've only seen a few ways to actually remove cards from my deck so far but it totally worked to increase the chance of drawing special augmented cards.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

one day I will not take the wheel of fortune card every single time it comes up

that day is not today

The game is clearly bugged cause Wheel of Fortune never works but Glass cards break every time.

Someone help me win with Black deck :(

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

LifeLynx posted:

Well deck thinning is just one strategy, a welcoming difference to most deck builders where it's the only strategy. Thinning a deck of 52 isn't easy, but it's good when you've got a full house or four of a kind run like the one I just had. Unfortunately I was playing the black deck and ended up less than 200 chips short of winning.

Yeah, to be clear this is kind of rare for me. I do like Hanged Man once I have a few good cards in my deck, and the "blow up 5 cards for $20" spectral card can be worth it sometimes, but I usually wouldn't bother with Trading Card especially at higher stakes where it costs you 1 of your 2 discards to use it. It only really worked here because 1) it's a foil and 2) checkered deck is so degenerate it barely needs discards anyway.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
every chance I get if I find Walkie Talkie my deck becomes a 10-4 deck. i had a run where I had an entire set of gold 4s which combined with walkie talkie, blueprint + seltzer + hack and then lucky cat was giving me insane value.

by the end of it lucky cat was something like a 10x mod. the only reason why i didn't make it to scientific notification was because the game was refusing to give me glass cards which seem to be the real key to getting that high.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

LifeLynx posted:

Yea, I went to destroy cards early in a run then realized thinning isn't necessarily the default strategy, which I don't think is something I've encountered in a deckbuilder before.

I have played many deckbuilders.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Ok, phew. I thought I was really losing it.

I will definitely take a stab with some of those mentioned destructive cards, but a lot of the time, I wind up regretting it. Usually, if I have a suit switcher, it's just sitting around in reserve as a last ditch "oh poo poo!" button. (Which explains why I gotta Flush! Heyoooo)

If I do thin a specific rank for whatever reason those guys become prime candidates for Steel enhancement.

I'm a dreadful failure of a goon. I have picked High Priestess more than Wheel of Fortune.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The latest patch just changed the wording on the joker tags, they now say stuff like "Next base edition shop Joker becomes Foil". Much clearer now

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Color Printer posted:

The latest patch just changed the wording on the joker tags, they now say stuff like "Next base edition shop Joker becomes Foil". Much clearer now

Thank god it nerfed arm (can't go below lvl 1)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Billy Gnosis posted:

thank gently caress lol

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Level 0 was interesting to play. Arm was maybe overtuned, but at the same time, I feel a little bad to have lost an effect/puzzle.

OMG JC
Jul 30, 2004

16 hours in and I still haven't won a game. :negative:

But I got close though! I was rocking a four finger flush deck, and came up against The Mouth on Ante 6. I was all like "Heh, no problem :smug:"

And then I played a straight flush my first hand instead of a flush.

I want to die.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Color Printer posted:

hell yeah

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Billy Gnosis posted:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

thank gently caress lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

Level 0 was interesting to play. Arm was maybe overtuned, but at the same time, I feel a little bad to have lost an effect/puzzle.

Eh, realistically I don't think that setting you to level 0 does do anything that setting you to level 1 doesn't do ust fine. If you have a source of chips/multiplier other than hand levels then you don't have to care, and if you don't then you're probably dead either way.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 23, 2024

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
And that is the last deck unlocked!

Gold chip difficulty drops another hand and I am not sure if I have the energy to try to align the stars for it. Or if there's a point. Back in the closed beta new game ++ would start you with 6/7 joker slots to make up for the difficulty. But it's felt exhausting climbing to gold.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Onmi posted:

And that is the last deck unlocked!

Gold chip difficulty drops another hand and I am not sure if I have the energy to try to align the stars for it. Or if there's a point. Back in the closed beta new game ++ would start you with 6/7 joker slots to make up for the difficulty. But it's felt exhausting climbing to gold.

gold chip drops 1 card from your hand size, not 1 whole playable hand. but yeah given the time it took to clear orange, I'm not feeling super jazzed up to go right back into it for gold lol. maybe I'll level up some of these other decks I haven't played

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

barnold posted:

gold chip drops 1 card from your hand size, not 1 whole playable hand. but yeah given the time it took to clear orange, I'm not feeling super jazzed up to go right back into it for gold lol. maybe I'll level up some of these other decks I haven't played

Yup, misread it out of tiredness but man

We're kinda miserable at this point. Shaping your hand with 7 cards and 2 discards is... awful. Juggler's really just shot up in stock but that's suffering because you really need early power.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Game is like crack. Although on PS5 my save got corrupted yesterday, so I lost something like two losing and a winning run, somehow and took a big hit on unlocks. Oh well! Luckily it’s so easy to JUST KEEP POSTING POKERING

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

against my better judgement I started a gold chip run. I got Paint Brush on ante 2, we'll see if we can power through this. need some big jokers to come through

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
My first win was a Fibonacci Aces to Eights straight deck where I always discarded face 🥳

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Just unlocked the speedrunner achievement! Had a Plasma deck with the smeared joker, the card that gives a 1 in 3 chance of hearts doubling the multi, the dice card that doubled that to 2 in 3, and the blueprint card that let that chance proc again. Was getting about a million per hand when I deigned to actually play a round, hah.

What a game! Very glad to see the dev's success :)

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Atoramos posted:

Yea, I went to destroy cards early in a run then realized thinning isn't necessarily the default strategy, which I don't think is something I've encountered in a deckbuilder before.

I have played many deckbuilders.

Roguebook rewards you for adding more cards to your deck.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Ok, phew. I thought I was really losing it.

I will definitely take a stab with some of those mentioned destructive cards, but a lot of the time, I wind up regretting it. Usually, if I have a suit switcher, it's just sitting around in reserve as a last ditch "oh poo poo!" button. (Which explains why I gotta Flush! Heyoooo)

If I do thin a specific rank for whatever reason those guys become prime candidates for Steel enhancement.

I'm a dreadful failure of a goon. I have picked High Priestess more than Wheel of Fortune.

I've picked Death the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceman2343
May 7, 2007

I'll take the Job.

I found out you can "win" at the boss blind of the last ante if the Mr. Bones joker triggers (saves you if you reached 25% of the blind) because it advances to the next ante, lol. It still doesn't give you the money though.