Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Does the spear lock on to objectives? Like the detector tower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bandaid.friend posted:

I've been bringing a Spear along to red level missions, and I want to like it but the lock on just doesn't go a lot of the time. I'll be aiming at a tank or titan in full view and the little triangle won't appear or it won't turn green. How can I make this work better?

Just take 110s imo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
They need to rework or just plain get rid of the various fog and dust cloud effects that can be a level condition, they are not fun to deal with at all

Also really dumb that the timer based reinforcements you have once you run out of regular ones will only bring back a single Helldiver instead of everyone who's dead, that or at least reduce the cool down to something more reasonable

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

drrockso20 posted:

Also really dumb that the timer based reinforcements you have once you run out of regular ones will only bring back a single Helldiver instead of everyone who's dead, that or at least reduce the cool down to something more reasonable

Nah, if you run through all 20 reserve reinforcements before a mission's over then you need to reevaluate something. The timer is just there if you manage to clutch something out, not give you a pat on the back for loving up.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
For a new player should I stick to easy missions until I level up? I usually try to play these games on the hardest difficulty, but I realize my newbie character would need to get tougher. Would I be too much a liability to other experienced players if I joined in on tougher missions? I'm watching a bunch of youtube videos for Helldivers 2 tips to get myself trained offline first.

Also, does the game play well with mouse/keyboard, or better on the controller? I completed EDF 5 recently on Hardest/Inferno difficulties as Fencer class on the PC, but I used the Xbox controller.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

nnnotime posted:

For a new player should I stick to easy missions until I level up? I usually try to play these games on the hardest difficulty, but I realize my newbie character would need to get tougher. Would I be too much a liability to other experienced players if I joined in on tougher missions? I'm watching a bunch of youtube videos for Helldivers 2 tips to get myself trained offline first.

Also, does the game play well with mouse/keyboard, or better on the controller? I completed EDF 5 recently on Hardest/Inferno difficulties as Fencer class on the PC, but I used the Xbox controller.

I find KBM better for this game. You unlock higher difficulties by completing the previous ones, so give them a try! Solo-play I kind of cap out at Medium, but I jumped into a Helldiver difficulty mission accidentally when joining a friend as a level 8 and held my own - even if you can't tackle the bigger enemies you're helping by clearing out the chaff and giving breathing room for dropping down strategems.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

drrockso20 posted:

They need to rework or just plain get rid of the various fog and dust cloud effects that can be a level condition, they are not fun to deal with at all

they're cool actually imo

nnnotime posted:

the difficulties are locked until you complete an operation on the earlier tier so you should just do the hardest ones available until you start running into situations where you're completely unhelpful. i assume for 90% of players that's going to be any significant number of armored enemies.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

:wrong:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

i will never tire of seeing the dogbrained opinions about aspects of the game that make the game what it is

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

turn off the TV posted:

they're cool actually imo

Yeah I had an amazingly moody mission on Draupnir this morning. Thick fog.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/helldiversalert/status/1760966197854572797?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

skaianDestiny posted:

Nah, if you run through all 20 reserve reinforcements before a mission's over then you need to reevaluate something. The timer is just there if you manage to clutch something out, not give you a pat on the back for loving up.

The problem is it's the bad kind of punishing, where the price the player pays is being made to sit around doing nothing till both the reinforcement cool down ends and hopefully they get chosen to respawn if multiple people are dead, which just leads to people quitting once they realize this

Like I'd honestly much rather just get an immediate mission failed on running out of reinforcements instead

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

nnnotime posted:

I'd recommend a difficulty 3 to 5 to start just to get your first level and fill out all 4 stratagem slots, then start increasing it by 1 as you unlock them until you feel you hit a brickwall, the playerbase, like every 4 player co-op pve game in existence, gets chiller players the higher you go up that make the missions overall easier.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s in order of who died actually

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The fog/dust is treacherous and I love it. it's moody as hell and actually affects the gameplay which is exactly what i want to see from environmental modifiers.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

veni veni veni posted:

The fog/dust is treacherous and I love it.

Did my friends' first Bile Titan mission last night in dense fog and man the sight of that thing coming out of the fog is just so unbelievably cool.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

The fog/dust is treacherous and I love it. it's moody as hell and actually affects the gameplay which is exactly what i want to see from environmental modifiers.

In one of my first missions I had completely clear weather until a volcano errupted in the distance, and in a short few minutes the sun was blotted out and the sky covered in thick clouds of ash. It was metal af.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ijyt posted:

In one of my first missions I had completely clear weather until a volcano errupted in the distance, and in a short few minutes the sun was blotted out and the sky covered in thick clouds of ash. It was metal af.

That sounds neat, what planet?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Do environmental modifiers increase rewards in anyway? the Crimseca bug planet has no modifiers which is what I've been running when I don't want to deal with 0 visibility or 10 minute stratagem cooldowns.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Enemies are also penalized by the fog, though the bugs care a bit less of course.

drrockso20 posted:

The problem is it's the bad kind of punishing, where the price the player pays is being made to sit around doing nothing till both the reinforcement cool down ends and hopefully they get chosen to respawn if multiple people are dead, which just leads to people quitting once they realize this

Like I'd honestly much rather just get an immediate mission failed on running out of reinforcements instead
Except that would mean you can't clutch the game anymore, and my best experiences of this game so far are when you or someone else extracts solo with 0 reinforcements left and tons of enemies on the evac point.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That sounds neat, what planet?

Gosh I'm not really sure, it was a week ago so it's long been liberated, one of the bug ones in the middle ring.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Idg how they pulled off so much biome diversity. it's impressive. They all look great too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

pro click

this is a slapstick physical comedy game masquerading as a squad-based pve sci fi shooter

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am looking forward to urban environments being added.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Insert name here posted:

Pretty sure it's because it's implicit from the category, so they didn't put it into the stat card.

Nah, the Scorcher is in the category and has the tag. The Dominator just isn't explosive.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

lol where did you find this opinion

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am looking forward to urban environments being added.

Is that announced or just wishful thinking? I really want to see that too. really just want more/bigger man made structures to break up the wilderness a bit.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

bandaid.friend posted:

I've been bringing a Spear along to red level missions, and I want to like it but the lock on just doesn't go a lot of the time. I'll be aiming at a tank or titan in full view and the little triangle won't appear or it won't turn green. How can I make this work better?

What the Spear will or won't lock onto is something of a mystery. It will happily lock onto and kill Automaton spawners and kill them - but it has to see some / most of the bottom of the building. Same for most other targets. Having higher ground will help, and looking down the sight can also help. It seems to have a ton of trouble locking cannon turrets for no real reason. And it'll lock scout striders but never devastators which is also ???

My advice is wait for a patch.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

To a degree I agree but there's a point where it is just too much, at the very least it should impact the enemy's ability to see and detect you just as much as it does you

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

veni veni veni posted:

Is that announced or just wishful thinking? I really want to see that too. really just want more/bigger man made structures to break up the wilderness a bit.

Just wishful that I think is coming, like the Enemy Masters should come as well too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

drrockso20 posted:

To a degree I agree but there's a point where it is just too much, at the very least it should impact the enemy's ability to see and detect you just as much as it does you

boy have i got news for you

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I have seen multiple instances of bot patrols walking right by me not even 5 meters away in double-reduced-visibility missions. Bugs are more hit or miss, whch makes sense.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

The first game eventually hit urban areas and had enemy home world raids so I reckon they're working on it for the future.

drrockso20 posted:

It does already

E: armour and the upgrade that improves radar detection are really good for these kinds of missions

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Admittedly might be because it was a bug mission and not really helped by it being my first proper Challenging mission, so we kept stumbling into a bunch of Chargers

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

boy have i got news for you

I have such mixed feelings about getting further justifications for loving fortified perk armor, while the guy in light scout is annihilated by rockets in the fog.

"Wow that stealth perk sure helped huh?

I would not be surprised if it is supposed to be effectively smoke bombs everywhere, but much like the game forgets hills are not things they should spawn your pod inside of, it might forget that too. (I have stopped assuming wacky spore puff plants will provide any cover for escape after too many shots to the back of the head).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 24, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Do armour ratings work yet? I'm still rolling with light +throw or medium explosive resist 99% of the time

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JBP posted:

Do armour ratings work yet? I'm still rolling with light +throw or medium explosive resist 99% of the time

not yet

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The fog and dust is actually awesome but the severe rainstorms are my favourite.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Section Z posted:

I have such mixed feelings about getting further justifications for loving fortified perk armor, while the guy in light scout is annihilated by rockets in the fog.

"Wow that stealth perk sure helped huh?

I would not be surprised if it is supposed to be effectively smoke bombs everywhere, but much like the game forgets hills are not things they should spawn your pod inside of, it might forget that too. (I have stopped assuming wacky spore puff plants will provide any cover for escape after too many shots to the back of the head).

concealment is not cover :eng101:

bots will happily continue firing on your last know position even if they've lost visual on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, the atmospheric effects are great. Was playing a night bug mission on a desert planet I think that was just completely pitch black and we couldn't see anything. Really made finding the hatcheries difficult as hell. The light stealth armor was pretty useful to sneak around and drop an SEAF mini nuke on the hatchery while my teammates wrangled a bug hole.