Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has emulation always been able to do same day releases? Cause that's crazy impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has emulation always been able to do same day releases? Cause that's crazy impressive.

For Switch, yes, that's pretty common. Switch is not a high-effort system to emulate. It relatively often comes with issues in terms of stuff breaking or not displaying properly but that usually gets fixed relatively quick.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's always been common for nintendo handhelds and the switch isn't even using proprietary hardware, it's mostly running off a commonly understood mobile phone chipset iirc. tears of the kingdom was running a week before it even came out

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
think kurohyo might actually have one of the best battle themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ywmY4IzMRU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
that's a hell of a track name

they want shady
May 11, 2013
also just a hell of a track

why is that, like, the one RGG soundtrack they don't have up on streaming? Dead Souls is up there for chrissake

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

mean, most gacha games have non-humanoids somewhere? just cause of how many characters they have. whether theyll be playable in their various spinoffs is another think.

but also granblue relink isnt really a remake, its just a spinoff.

I'm just not sure how to word it, whatever you call the shift in gameplay and presentation from this

to this

I didn't think to call it a spinoff plus from what I've seen from Granblue Relink's demo the world's all about airships and big floating islands like a sky-themed One Piece so I can understand if not.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's an original story and not an adaptation of anything from the game itself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah thats what i mean. its as much a spinoff as granblue versus is. its not a replacement for the original game or even an adaptation of anything in it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

it's still a spinoff, it's just the crew's adventure in another skydom that isn't in the mobage

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Having only played relink I will say that it's got "Anime: the Movie" energy, specifically One Piece if you treat "skydom" as being roughly equivalent to "island." It seems to take place chronologically within the events of the gacha's story, though from looking around some details might make it either an alternate continuity or else a major spoiler?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's more alternative as aside from a hilariously funny mention of Loki and Mikoboshi it has nothing to do with the current Mobile game story

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's an original story and not an adaptation of anything from the game itself.

Endorph posted:

yeah thats what i mean. its as much a spinoff as granblue versus is. its not a replacement for the original game or even an adaptation of anything in it.

Ohhh, okay. I thought it was an adaptation of super early stuff from the original. Like, chapters 2-5. I didn't think it was a replacement for it or anything, just another way of presenting the same story.

Runa posted:

Having only played relink I will say that it's got "Anime: the Movie" energy, specifically One Piece if you treat "skydom" as being roughly equivalent to "island." It seems to take place chronologically within the events of the gacha's story, though from looking around some details might make it either an alternate continuity or else a major spoiler?

After thinking about it again I should've just compared it to Skies of Arcadia.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's funny how compared to the more weird styles of the main games, your styles in kurohyo are all just actual martial arts

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
it's a bit jank when it comes time to fight multiple opponents but 1on1 it really nails that gritty street fight vibe

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Colonel posted:

it's funny how compared to the more weird styles of the main games, your styles in kurohyo are all just actual martial arts

Breaker style is a real martial art to me dammit

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Colonel posted:

think kurohyo might actually have one of the best battle themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ywmY4IzMRU

The theme song for the final boss of Kurohyou 2 is one of the hardest themes the series has ever done. The soundtrack of both games are honestly among the series best and I hope they one day get the Kiwami treatment, alongside Kenzan.

Honest Thief posted:

it's a bit jank when it comes time to fight multiple opponents but 1on1 it really nails that gritty street fight vibe

That's why the partner system exists I suppose. Having a buddy to fight alongside you while you focus on the 1 on 1. Kurohyou 2 greatly expands on partner AI, letting them do their own heat moves and picking up weapons by themselves.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 22, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
feel like it'd be harder to do kurohyou without losing a lot of what's interesting about it

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Colonel posted:

feel like it'd be harder to do kurohyou without losing a lot of what's interesting about it

Yeah. I hope they keep it fairly grounded and realistic with the mostly real MMA moves Tatsuya does. Trying to make it more arcadey like the main series brawlers would erase much of the identity of the games. Still, they deserve to reach a wider audience.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
theyre doing a new kurohyou ?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Theyve mentioned possibly remaking them i think but nothing official just 'yea maybe idk'

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I hope there is a new Skies of Arcadia game someday. :unsmith:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The producer passed away a few years ago, so no.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

enjoying Crisis Core a bit more now that I got some of the funner materia and combos

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the unicorn overlord demo is out on ps4/ps5 and xbox

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Grindea trailer, with the amusing contrived implication that, should this have been roughly The Plan all along internally---they only actually then had release slip by them a couple shy of a handful of times in terms of how calendars work out compared to most normal game projects~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRKdOxKcRT0

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Grindea trailer, with the amusing contrived implication that, should this have been roughly The Plan all along internally---they only actually then had release slip by them a couple shy of a handful of times in terms of how calendars work out compared to most normal game projects~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRKdOxKcRT0

Devs, please don’t put ads on your ads (YouTube monetized trailer).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm gonna be spoiled on everything regardless, but to at least pretend some things will be a surprise I'm asking here. How'd FF7R Rebirth adjust things so you actually feel like playing as anyone but Yuffie? I assumed they'd just make enemies 'lock on' to specific characters for 20 seconds at a time. So you can either swap to someone not being focused on exclusively or just hold block forever and weave in and out of their attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I'm gonna be spoiled on everything regardless, but to at least pretend some things will be a surprise I'm asking here. How'd FF7R Rebirth adjust things so you actually feel like playing as anyone but Yuffie? I assumed they'd just make enemies 'lock on' to specific characters for 20 seconds at a time. So you can either swap to someone not being focused on exclusively or just hold block forever and weave in and out of their attacks.

They buffed everyone to bring them up to Yuffie level. The long and short of it is that between character changes, synergy skills, and new abilities everyone got a significant boost. You're also encouraged to swap characters both by plot and by the new Synergy Skill system where you need to build and use ATB both two characters to use team-up attacks.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 24, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

what are some jrpgs where your actually the bad guy?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Parasite Eve

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

GateOfD posted:

mother 3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not sure either of these statements are true

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

GateOfD posted:

Nier :v:

The first Etrian Odyssey was pretty dark and a common interpretation of the ending at the time was that you killed the only person who could have possibly fixed the post-apocalyptic world for basically no reason other than loot.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

The Colonel posted:

i'm not sure either of these statements are true

I think they're making a crack about the "Humans are the real monsters" themes present in those games.

It is actually hard to think of a game without multiple endings where you have villain protagonists, though if you do factor in those then Soul Nomad and Drakengard are probably the most iconic examples.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can make a case for most FROM games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

if any of you dipshits say ffta i'm going to be mad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gaius Marius posted:

You can make a case for most FROM games.

not really. this vaguely applies to souls but only if you squint

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There is no such thing as good or evil.

There is only ChAoS.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Let me thank you for your help with the Exalted Emperor... With your own death!