Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The Colonel posted:

not really. this vaguely applies to souls but only if you squint
There is a lot of baby killing in Bloodborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
king's field you're always unambiguously a force of good going against the embodiment of pure evil, while armored core games can start out a bit morally grey with you doing a lot of mercenary grunt work the end point is always building up to you finding your own path forward and either battling the masterminds behind how hosed the world is or saving humanity from a greater threat, shadow tower is pretty plot light and the ending is a bit of a twist of the knife but the motivation you're supplied with in the manual is fairly noble and you're mostly a victim to a strange and hosed up cycle beyond your imagination, eternal ring mostly lines up with king's field but it's more focused on man's folly with the ultimate evil you've been set up to combat learning to hold empathy for others thanks to its relationship with lyla just before you could kill it and ultimately you helping him quietly integrate into society

mycot posted:

There is a lot of baby killing in Bloodborne.

that's a game from the souls director, it counts. miyazaki likes making you do hosed up stuff

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
in some of the disgaea games you're playing characters who are unambiguously evil who either accidentally stumble into doing something for the greater good or are in some way changed in the latter half of the game. laharl isn't a good person, let alone a hero, until maybe the last 3-4 chapters of the game and even then you gotta really squint.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my point is there's more from games where you're doing unambiguously noble or at least, well-intentioned stuff than ones where you're just kind of a monster. armored core's the only other big series that leans into it on a franchise level besides miyazaki's games and even then armored core leans into it less and less as it goes along. by around nexus you get more of a choice in whether you want to fire on labor protests or gently caress up some corp's poo poo, in last raven you can choose to blow up the corps entirely, in 4 you're explicitly the little guy and you're largely fighting to protect people you care about, and in 6 you're straight-up a victim fighting for your life until you make friends who help you find a deeper strength within yourself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Any historical strategy RPG I am the villain in everyone elses story.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
you can play the bad guy in Disco Elysium if you pick any option beyond the moralist ones (it's called that because it's the moral one)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Countblanc posted:

in some of the disgaea games you're playing characters who are unambiguously evil who either accidentally stumble into doing something for the greater good or are in some way changed in the latter half of the game. laharl isn't a good person, let alone a hero, until maybe the last 3-4 chapters of the game and even then you gotta really squint.

ehhhh. i'd pretty definitively say the point with laharl is that a lot of his evil talk is for show. he has daddy issues and thus wants to distance himself as hard from what his dad was like as possible, but the only times he ever does anything hosed up are bad endings you need to deliberately have him team kill a bunch of people for, the main text of disgaea 1 is largely focused on how demons can be really chill and angels can be comically evil and mischievous, they aren't actually that fundamentally different. even like, the entire trick with the amulet is that laharl thinks it burning his hand is proof of how evil he is... but he just fished it out of a lava pit and holding it doesn't seem to actually hurt him much, compared to say, the bad guy angel whose hand is so immediately and so painfully burnt he drops it as soon as he touches it. disgaea 2 pushes things with laharl and etna a bit but, disgaea 2 also just doesn't really feel like it knows how to use them beyond cartoon gag violence

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

Countblanc posted:

I'd argue that Laharl mostly keeps up the appearance of villainy because it's what he thinks an Overlord is supposed to do, though he is definitely a brat for a lot of the game. Notably most of the bad endings in that game require the player to go exceptionally out of their way in being a bad team leader, and even then two of them involve Laharl abandoning the role of Overlord in some capacity. Laharl's proposed "evil plans" are also comedically basic. Mao definitely has a case for being a villain protagonist though, even by the end of the game he's pretty devoid of redeeming qualities beyond the fact that it's pretty funny to watch just how depraved he can be.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Countblanc posted:

you can play the bad guy in Disco Elysium if you pick any option beyond the moralist ones (it's called that because it's the moral one)

The game definitely is unhappy if you play it how I did, so oblivious you miss its 4th wall breaking guardrails against my playstyle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They buffed everyone to bring them up to Yuffie level. The long and short of it is that between character changes, synergy skills, and new abilities everyone got a significant boost. You're also encouraged to swap characters both by plot and by the new Synergy Skill system where you need to build and use ATB both two characters to use team-up attacks.

Oh sick! Yeah, giving everyone a combo attack you can activate at-will would definitely solve it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
laharl is a lot more overtly comically evil in any of his cameo appearances in any of nis' other games but that's mostly just cause they always make him a cameo superboss and nis' grasp of disgaea's tone gets pretty weird for a while

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
NIS cameo appearances always boil characters down to the absolute basics of their personality at the beginning of their respective games. In some extreme cases like for Etna, memorable one-off jokes become central aspects of their character in future installments.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Radiata Stories on the Fairy Route, which seems to be the actual intended story route.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway there is a pc98 rpg called D'ark where you play as an evil guy named Dulldeek. so that's one.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Colonel posted:

ehhhh. i'd pretty definitively say the point with laharl is that a lot of his evil talk is for show. he has daddy issues and thus wants to distance himself as hard from what his dad was like as possible, but the only times he ever does anything hosed up are bad endings you need to deliberately have him team kill a bunch of people for, the main text of disgaea 1 is largely focused on how demons can be really chill and angels can be comically evil and mischievous, they aren't actually that fundamentally different. even like, the entire trick with the amulet is that laharl thinks it burning his hand is proof of how evil he is... but he just fished it out of a lava pit and holding it doesn't seem to actually hurt him much, compared to say, the bad guy angel whose hand is so immediately and so painfully burnt he drops it as soon as he touches it. disgaea 2 pushes things with laharl and etna a bit but, disgaea 2 also just doesn't really feel like it knows how to use them beyond cartoon gag violence

i admit it's been a while since I played and he definitely does have daddy issues and wants to distance himself, but he's still choosing to be a poo poo and most of the early game is you just going out to do violence for the h*ck of it. which mostly sets up for his face turn but it's not exactly a moral neutral act and he's in no way doing it to like, protect his people or whatever.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

NIS cameo appearances always boil characters down to the absolute basics of their personality at the beginning of their respective games. In some extreme cases like for Etna, memorable one-off jokes become central aspects of their character in future installments.

she's the character who uses sexy beam and is mean to prinnies

admittedly NIS doubling down on cameo gimmicks is actually really funny with asagi just going increasingly mental

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

is this question about jrpgs with bad routes/decisions as a choice too or just straight up being locked into being a bad guy??

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

cecil does do a war crime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
here's dulldeek going "Those humans, teeming with arrogance and hypocrisy... I will burn them all to ash." seems like a nice dude

Countblanc posted:

i admit it's been a while since I played and he definitely does have daddy issues and wants to distance himself, but he's still choosing to be a poo poo and most of the early game is you just going out to do violence for the h*ck of it. which mostly sets up for his face turn but it's not exactly a moral neutral act and he's in no way doing it to like, protect his people or whatever.

i mean he's kind of a dick yeah but the whole point of like, hoggmeiser is showing that while he can be a bit of a poo poo he's not actually so bad of a guy as to murder a dude's entire family. he's arrogant and ready to fight for stupid reasons but he's not, evil.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 24, 2024

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Big Fou Lou fan from BoF4 on the playing bad guys part. Too bad it's only for a few sections but I thought it was neat.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Surprised no one has mentioned Soul Nomad. Or does that not count because it's an alternate route?

Undertale too, though I suppose that isn't a jrpg.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Probably cause someone did mention it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Ah poo poo, it was real brief and I missed it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Soul Nomad's demon path is a pretty Evil plathrough

Tales of Berseria, you play as people perceived as villains

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I throw Golden Sun as one.

for bad endings/alternate endings, Tales of Xillia 2 was cool

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

uhhh i guess any megaten where you can do bad guy route stuff or evil decisions???

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Honestly I think the only Disgaeas where you play as as 'evil person' is, like, 1 and 3, and see above for how evil Laharl is.

Adell is straight up a hero, Valvatorez seemed legit...

Ugh, as I say this I Realize there are apparently like three or four mainline Disgaeas I did not know existed. Dunno what happened in those.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GateOfD posted:

what are some jrpgs where your actually the bad guy?

Steambot Chronicles, if you choose to be.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is a pretty massive spoiler to even say the game's name so... it's a GameCube JRPG. If you know it you'll know it based on that.
In Baten Kaitos, the main character Kalas is basically a bad guy secretly for the first, what, 50-60% of the game. Kind of a weird example but hey it's probably the most interesting thing about the game's story.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LAW route bad lord ending of Tactics Ogre Luct is pretty all time for bad guy routes. Going full ends justify the means, but your ends are your sister and best friend dying, you being assassinated and plunging the island back into racially based civil war, and Lodis ready to invade in force. Just really managing to make everything worse for everybody including yourself.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Law route in Tactics Ogre is extremely badass because it is simultaneously the route which leads to absolute loving disaster for everyone involved and also the only route that leads to what could be called a golden ending.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

GateOfD posted:

The Bad route in Tri-strat.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Kanos posted:

The Law route in Tactics Ogre is extremely badass because it is simultaneously the route which leads to absolute loving disaster for everyone involved and also the only route that leads to what could be called a golden ending.

Really? From what I remember, once you get to chapter 4, the final chapter's plot is basically all the same outside of which recruits you can get. PSP onward does have Ravness and Ozma helping with racial reconciliation/Lodis in Law, but in exchange half the Shamans are dead, so it feels like kind of a wash with regards to a "golden ending." It's been a while since I've actually paid attention to any version of chapter 4 other than Law, though, so it's entirely possible that I'm forgetting things.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I think being evil just isn't a selling point for most people with an RPG, even Tyranny didn't sell and evil routes are far more plentiful in the west

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People in general don't want to be "Evil" but if you give them options to suppress dissidents to increase provincial cultural change-over speed they will click it every time.

Just gotta massage the presentation.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like the Earth Federation in Dougram

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

GateOfD posted:

Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (you're not a bad guy individually but you're working for a villainous group)

All of these are prequels, though.

For a non-prequel suggestion, every Ogre Battle game lets you go on an evil route if you want.

Suikoden 3 allows you to play as an all-villain party very late in the game.

And if you're willing to branch a little ways away from the RPG genre, the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow games blur the line between hero and villain (to put it mildly). LoS2 most of all.

Tequila Bob fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 24, 2024

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker & V

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (you're not a bad guy individually but you're working for a villainous group)

All of these are prequels, though.

For a non-prequel suggestion, every Ogre Battle game lets you go on an evil route if you want.

Suikoden 3 allows you to play as an all-villain party very late in the game.

And if you're willing to branch a little ways away from the RPG genre, the Castlevania: Lords of Darkness games blur the line between hero and villain (to put it mildly). LoD2 most of all.

I am pretty sure the game where you beat up Satan to free humanity from his evil yolk is the one where you're the hero.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
We should also mention Breath of Fire IV - you definitely spend more time playing as the villain in that game, compared to most other JRPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Langrisser has two separate bad routes where you join up with the evil empire and join up with Satan, iirc

I should pick Langrisser 1+2 back up one of these days. I got pretty close to beating it on Switch