Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also fog doesn't stop sound. So stop sprinting everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Supposedly they also reduce the sightlines of enemy patrols and guards.

In places where I've encountered Cannon Turrets in bot space, I've been able to kill it with a direct precision strike by extrapolating from its angle from center of map. The Destroyer is always hovering over the center of map, and by putting beacon on the cannon turret's base just so, it's able to strike and kill it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Huszsersvn posted:

Supposedly they also reduce the sightlines of enemy patrols and guards.

In places where I've encountered Cannon Turrets in bot space, I've been able to kill it with a direct precision strike by extrapolating from its angle from center of map. The Destroyer is always hovering over the center of map, and by putting beacon on the cannon turret's base just so, it's able to strike and kill it.
This is really cool, and I am going to immediately forget it while having to dial my desired strat literally eleven times until I get it due to randomizers.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

hey mom its 420 posted:

ah ok will try that. if I remember correctly holding down just gave me the radial menu where I had the option to drop the supply pack but I don't remember seeing the option to supply myself. i'll take another look

Quickly tap down on the D pad, don't hold down on the D pad.

Grimnarsson posted:

There is no team killing, there's just collateral damage!

There is no team killing or collateral damage, there is only Failure to Yield Right of Way to Democracy.

Democracy always has the right of way, citizen!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The atmospheric fog is metal af, it’s also handy for choosing to extract yourself from bad situations your random lobby players have got you into. Let them aggro the entire map, you just wander off do the objectives and grab the super rares uncontested. Huge W

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
has it been confirmed the Evacuation missions are bugged somehow or are they an infinite spigot of robots on purpose? once the enemy gets momentum it's near-impossible to get it back

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
One thing I hate that I keep dealing with in pubbie games is when there's one guy who runs every mission like it's a speed run while the whole team just straggles behind and everyone is dying over and over because there's a giant swarm of bugs following in our wake, but you can't stop to kill any of them or else you're left behind and dead.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

has it been confirmed the Evacuation missions are bugged somehow or are they an infinite spigot of robots on purpose? once the enemy gets momentum it's near-impossible to get it back

Pretty sure they're supposed to be like that. A pro-tier tactic is to split up and have like half your team outside the base wrecking poo poo while like 1 or 2 stay quiet and evac the civilians.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I've never really had problems on the evac missions. They usually are kind of a tough, but not like impossible. Maybe I've just been lucky?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Oxxidation posted:

The point of evacuation missions is, I think, to keep the momentum. But if you bring the right gear and strategy you totally can get the momentum back even from a pretty bad situation, or at least enough to push another few batches of folks over the finish line. It usually involves drawing the enemy's off somewhere else to fight.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I dunno. I tried a level 7 or 8 evac by joining someone from the HD2 psn group and hoo-boy it did not go well.

Edit: we all had smoke and poo poo, so it started mostly fine, but it eventually ended with us just getting overrun completely with at least 4 hulks and 2 tanks just chilling in the evac area

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 24, 2024

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

dog nougat posted:

I dunno. I tried a level 7 or 8 evac by joining someone from the HD2 psn group and hoo-boy it did not go well.

Edit: we all had smoke and poo poo, so it started mostly fine, but it eventually ended with us just getting overrun completely with at least 4 hulks and 2 tanks just chilling in the evac area

Evac is messed up because the enemies spawn like dead center of the base

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

raverrn posted:

Nah, the Scorcher is in the category and has the tag. The Dominator just isn't explosive.
Scorcher is in the "Energy-Based" category (or at least it should be based on the warbond page; I can't confirm this in the armory until I get another ~275 medals).

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Insert name here posted:

Scorcher is in the "Energy-Based" category (or at least it should be based on the warbond page; I can't confirm this in the armory until I get another ~275 medals).

You are correct. I don't know what ravern is talking about.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i hope that some day i will be able to complete a hard operation without the host kicking me before the last mission

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Are maps procedurally generated or designed? Because it’s super hard to make good procedurally generated urban maps and the map variety I’ve seen has been super solid if they are designed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tom Tucker posted:

Are maps procedurally generated or designed? Because it’s super hard to make good procedurally generated urban maps and the map variety I’ve seen has been super solid if they are designed.

They're procgen. You'll eventually start recognizing the same bits of terrain across various planets

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Encountered these dudes on a bug mission. Like just run to the evac guys, it's just around the wall.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pictured: helldiver has an opportunity to do the funniest thing ever

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So I'm starting to love the AP liberator. Yes it does less damage per shot, but it feels so good to just shoot the armored bugs in the head (until you break the head and it still gets a lunge or two in before it does because of its distributed nervous system). It also tears up robots once you get some practice with it. Yeah it struggles with the trash bugs (or at least struggles with ammo conservation with them) due to its lower damage and it being on burst fire by default but it makes bigger stuff a lot easier. The kicker is that it's got the DMR's sight and when aiming down the scope it's laser accurate and basically becomes another DMR.

Falling in love with the grenade launcher too. It absolutely shreds the chunky bots, especially when mixed with the ROF you can put out to saturate an area.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So far nothing feels satisfying or powerful against armored bugs. Autocannon, one-shot, recoilless, they all just seem to ping off armored guys and I don't know what I am supposed to be doing to actually be effective against them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tom Tucker posted:

Sometimes you notice fine details changing. Like loot cargo containers being replaced by rubble or water hole. Or supply spot replaced with an IOU. Or a... huh... I can't actually remember any cases of 'oh it is different this time' being good or interesting?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Pictured: helldiver has an opportunity to do the funniest thing ever

traitors identified.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
If any of you are as lame as me and want to quickly farm up a bunch of super credits solo or something I highly recommend the lowest tier of difficulty defense missions. They're really easy to clear, the bots stop spawning in obscenely once you clear it, and there's a good few PoI around the map that are really easy to find. But again, it's just lame solo farming.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

GlyphGryph posted:

The point of evacuation missions is, I think, to keep the momentum. But if you bring the right gear and strategy you totally can get the momentum back even from a pretty bad situation, or at least enough to push another few batches of folks over the finish line. It usually involves drawing the enemy's off somewhere else to fight.

I think the last point is the part that nobody (myself included) gets. The enemy waves just ramp up so drat fast it's impossible to just fight in the base and play crossing guard like you can with up to level 4 Challenge. I've hit a brick wall at Challenge 5 on any of these missions no matter where they are with at least the bots. Maybe the bugs aren't so bad in this case.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

So far nothing feels satisfying or powerful against armored bugs. Autocannon, one-shot, recoilless, they all just seem to ping off armored guys and I don't know what I am supposed to be doing to actually be effective against them.

Autocannon blows through those hive guardian's armor and brood commanders like a hot knife through butter? Are you shooting at their feet or something for splash damage?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Man, I really want to like the JAR-5 Dominator! I spent so many medals getting to it! It just feels like it has too much lag or whatever, too much time before the little circle actually lines up with your crosshairs. And too much recoil, too, so the next round never goes where it should. I end up being better at skull-shotting armored robots with the Breaker just cause the rounds go where I point them. Maybe I should try the burst fire? Should I use the 1st person sights or just the 3rd person aiming?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Alkydere posted:

So I'm starting to love the AP liberator. Yes it does less damage per shot, but it feels so good to just shoot the armored bugs in the head (until you break the head and it still gets a lunge or two in before it does because of its distributed nervous system). It also tears up robots once you get some practice with it. Yeah it struggles with the trash bugs (or at least struggles with ammo conservation with them) due to its lower damage and it being on burst fire by default but it makes bigger stuff a lot easier. The kicker is that it's got the DMR's sight and when aiming down the scope it's laser accurate and basically becomes another DMR.

Falling in love with the grenade launcher too. It absolutely shreds the chunky bots, especially when mixed with the ROF you can put out to saturate an area.
Just FYI, the burst fire is a burst limiter; it works just like full-auto but cuts you off at the burst limit. You absolutely can just tap out single shots even on burst.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I like the 1st person aiming tbh.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Phenotype posted:

Man, I really want to like the JAR-5 Dominator! I spent so many medals getting to it! It just feels like it has too much lag or whatever, too much time before the little circle actually lines up with your crosshairs. And too much recoil, too, so the next round never goes where it should. I end up being better at skull-shotting armored robots with the Breaker just cause the rounds go where I point them. Maybe I should try the burst fire? Should I use the 1st person sights or just the 3rd person aiming?

Crouch or lay down when you shoot it and becomes WAY snappier.
It's a big heavy gun so it kind of lags behind your aimpoint more than most others - crouching and proning makes it way more responsive.
I usually end up shooting it in FPS mode if I'm sniping bots, but for magdumps (vs berserkers usually) it's all hipfire.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Section Z posted:

This is really cool, and I am going to immediately forget it while having to dial my desired strat literally eleven times until I get it due to randomizers.

Don't need to worry when all you have is 380,120,500 and orbital laser :cool:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Found out the break action shotgun has an alt fire mode that makes it shoot both barrels at once, making it a doom super shotgun. still not worth picking up ever, but neat.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I had the funniest bug tonight. We were prepping for evac on a hard icbm mission and we spent the time clearing the map. Last airstrike was in the hand of a friend and he got knocked over and it took us all out. We respawned back in and three of us went to grab the specimens, while our 4th entered the ship.

Instead of starting a countdown it immediately took off leaving 3 of us there and we got no specimens and we couldn't stop laughing.

All 3 of us on the victory screen were doing finger guns off on the side.

10/10, no notes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Insert name here posted:

Just FYI, the burst fire is a burst limiter; it works just like full-auto but cuts you off at the burst limit. You absolutely can just tap out single shots even on burst.

Oh? Interesting.

Also I played a quick couple of missions and decided to see what customizable firemodes the AP-Liberator has.

The scope has a zoom! I should have known considering it's got the DMR scope but I barely played with that. That makes sniping even better with the thing.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

How does sos beacons work. I just had a game where I dropped in solo, deployed beacon and got 3 other players to do a mission series with, great.

After we finished though two of them left. I started up another series with the one remaining player, but when we started I couldn't use sos beacon and nobody else joined. So we were stuck as two and eventually got overwhelmed by bots at 27/30 civies rescued. Really annoying as I'm sure we'd have won with one more person but I couldn't figure out how to get that to happen.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AlternateAccount posted:

If it's a charger, shoot their legs with something that breaks heavy armor(recoilless, EAT, 2 railgun shots) to break the armor and then shoot it with normal bullets.
Their "weakpoint" at the back only takes 10% damage from bullets, but exposed leg flesh takes 100%, so they die super fast that way.

As for stuff like hiveguards, you can just autocannon/grenade launcher/railgun them down no problem.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CainFortea posted:

Autocannon blows through those hive guardian's armor and brood commanders like a hot knife through butter? Are you shooting at their feet or something for splash damage?

He probably means Chargers which are indeed way too chunky for how common they can be once you hit 4 or higher

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

drrockso20 posted:

He probably means Chargers which are indeed way too chunky for how common they can be once you hit 4 or higher

Someone upthread said tanks were the equivalent of chargers which could not be right because I think the most tanks I've ever seen at once is two. Two tanks. I've been tackled by no less than five chargers before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

wilderthanmild posted:

One thing I hate that I keep dealing with in pubbie games is when there's one guy who runs every mission like it's a speed run while the whole team just straggles behind and everyone is dying over and over because there's a giant swarm of bugs following in our wake, but you can't stop to kill any of them or else you're left behind and dead.

I've had that except the person is also loudly complaining the entire time that everyone else is stupidly fighting. You are supposed to creep into a heavy bot outpost crouching or crawling the entire time and hit all 4 factories with grenades before vaulting over a wall and running 250m in a straight line without looking back until you reset aggro and whatever was chasing you got so far away from it's spawn it runs back.

Those people don't expect you to follow them. They think you are supposed to be noscoping grenades and clearing your own egg hatchery solo in under 30 seconds across the map to bring up your sample and medal counts as fast as possible.

I'll admit you learn quickly that the one thing you don't do is settle in for a war wherever you find resistance on the map. You can shoot at a patrol and end up facing the entire literal actual robot apocalypse for no real reason. So there is definitely value in picking your battles but you also don't have to speedrun. The game is fun to play so why wouldn't you at least deal with the enemies that spawn at each mission objective.

You can still complete all of the objectives and have a huge fun war and it's only just a bit slower. Sometimes I want to see about airstrike angles or test out a minefield against different kinds of units. It's funny when someone angers a cannon turret and gets blasted by a star destroyer turbolaser and then needs help getting their stuff back while assaulting the turret.

Or I guess you can just serpentine sprint for 250m until it can't see you anymore.