Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Beat my first run. Got marble joker and stone joker very early so had stone boosted up to 450 chips or so. Really struggled to find a multiplier joker. Was stuck with the photograph. Had the one that doubles the plus mult from lowest ranking card, the shortcut, and eventually I ditched marble for the legendary that disables boss abilities, and that was a good thing. Carried in the last blind by a spare tarot that turned a queen glass, plus another glass jack for an ace high straight to open up with.

Working around all those stone cards wasn't as annoying as I thought and if I'd gotten more planets it probably would have gone much smoother. But I did it. Best hand was only 71k. Now I'm well and truly hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I'm terrible at these kinds of games but this one seriously has me hooked! Finally got a win going an obscenely levelled two pair strategy (with the joker that benefits from hands that only contain 4 cards) and in the end somehow got carried by the joker that doubles the multiplier for every king remaining in your hand and also the one that retriggers the first face card (it might have retriggered when the first face card was a king remaining in my hand... :staredog: )

Don't really know how I did it but drat does it feel good! This game is incredible! :D

bovis fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 24, 2024

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bought this on switch

Thought I was amazing then realized oh poo poo I need to do tens of thousands every round oops

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Bought this on switch

Thought I was amazing then realized oh poo poo I need to do tens of thousands every round oops

I'm pretty sure this game is very good at making you go, "I'm a genius!" followed by, "Oh no!"

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Onmi posted:

And that is the Blue deck completely conquered. Holy gently caress what an exhausting push. I do wish the NG+ stuff was still in where you'd get an extra joker slot for each added difficulty (think I said that before)

I think I'll try the Plasma deck... I also don't think I'll ever play off of White Stake again unless I have to, that was harrowing.

Fill us in on what the erratic deck's like.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Not sure if I'm ever gonna get this lucky again:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Ante 12. It feels like a wall. Seems like glass cards are the answer, because even a double tagged hand size increase, all steel cards on hand, and luckily managing to get my X3 multiplier joker if all I'm holding is spades or clubs to activate I just wasn't even in the ballpark. Fun though. I rerolled the shop 82 times that run, haha.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If I have multiple hands all at the same consecutive amount of times played (Flush, Straight, 2 Pair, Pair, High Card all at 2 times played)

And I play one of those hands

It shouldn't reset the Obelisk

Because none of those hands are "most played"

UNTIL AFTER I PLAY THAT NEW HAND

THEN THAT HAND BECOMES THE MOST CONSECUTIVE HAND

:livintrope:

I get it, but I disagree with how it should work :argh:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

FPyat posted:

Fill us in on what the erratic deck's like.

The Erratic deck is the pure chaos deck, Did you wind up getting 40 4's and a smattering of random numbers? did you get way too many hearts? It's the "I want to play something completely random." deck, always a new experience but no real 'benefit'

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I think I’ve lost 3 or 4 runs now solely on the basis of picking a flush or straight and hitting triangle instead of square

:Edit: discard should require a combo button press like Triangle + R1 for idiots like me

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

well its not getting better than this for me. blueprinted a triboulet. has the face cards trigger twice joker. and the one that makes everything retrigger on the final hand. got a negative baron too, but it barely mattered

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010

I did it I won the big one.

There's definitely larger to go but a joker was behind this hand payout amount so

I would've beaten an ante 12 blind if the deck didn't decide to go "nope I'm actually out of kings. sorry"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Some erratic deck pictures

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

studio mujahideen posted:

well its not getting better than this for me. blueprinted a triboulet. has the face cards trigger twice joker. and the one that makes everything retrigger on the final hand. got a negative baron too, but it barely mattered

I think this is the new top record hereabouts? :golfclap:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Multiple polychrome jokers own

Nebula deck murdered :zybourne:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I had a game where i just barely managed to beat the arm and got hit with the needle.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Well that was a close one.

e: jesus, blueprint+burglar is absolutely busted.

Yeaaaaah, that's not gonna be a problem for this deck lol.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 24, 2024

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I have 3 jokers left to get, the ???? one, the 5 Glass cards one and the 400 dollar one. The last one is the Satelite Joker (It gives 2 dollars for each different Planet card you've used), the Glass one gains xMult for each Glass card you've broken. I do not know what the final hidden Joker is.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The hidden joker is revealed when you power your switch off and stare at the screen

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I feel that the legendary jokers are cursed. Guaranteed loss, taking them.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Are you sure it's not a Legendary you just haven't gotten around to yet?

Vampire run to get back into the swing of things this morning and unlock Green Stakes on Blue Deck. People have been taking about how busted Vampire can be with Midas, but even without it and acquired halfway through the run it'll still wreck the regular Antes. The 100 mil hand still feels far away though.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

another deck for the small blind ante 12 graveyard, this was the easiest/most brainless run I've had yet.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

FPyat posted:

I feel that the legendary jokers are cursed. Guaranteed loss, taking them.

I dunno I found my first one (x5 mult when you’ve discarded 23 times) just now and on a two pair deck I absolutely demolished the whole run. 600k coins on the first turn of the last boss lol

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

the flush deck is so dumb, lol.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The hidden joker is revealed when you power your switch off and stare at the screen

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Am I right in that there is no real way to modify the deck with standard cards (non holo/etc) to benefit a strategy focused on straights? Like for flushes you can change suits, remove/add cards, etc. I had a run where I got a good lineup of straight based jokers and couldn't really see a reason to buy standard packs or tarots.

I guess if you could reduce your deck to just 5 cards, that would be something.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Am I right in that there is no real way to modify the deck with standard cards (non holo/etc) to benefit a strategy focused on straights? Like for flushes you can change suits, remove/add cards, etc. I had a run where I got a good lineup of straight based jokers and couldn't really see a reason to buy standard packs or tarots.

I guess rather than limiting it all the way to 5 you could try to remove 3 of each numbered card? Would also be extremely difficult

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Love when you have a flush deck absolutely singing and then ante 7 drops a debuff-your-suit boss blind with no way to remove it :smithicide:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

You could increase a specific band to make it more likely to draw parts of its sequence, Hanged Man, Death, Strength, etc. for tarot assistance and standard cards to fish for more. Still going to be susceptible to RNG but if you've got A/K/Q/10 in your hand and you know you still have like 11 Jacks in your deck it's a better gamble than only having 4.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

You want to settle on a target range for your straight based on what other jokers you've got and delete cards that are outside that range. If you're going for low straights destroy face cards, if you're going for high straights then destroy low cards. If you don't have jokers to support a specific range then go for high straights as they give more chips. If you don't care at all about that then you should delete Aces, Kings, and 2s because they're harder to get a straight with as they can only go in one direction.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jossar posted:

Are you sure it's not a Legendary you just haven't gotten around to yet?

Vampire run to get back into the swing of things this morning and unlock Green Stakes on Blue Deck. People have been taking about how busted Vampire can be with Midas, but even without it and acquired halfway through the run it'll still wreck the regular Antes. The 100 mil hand still feels far away though.

You are correct it was Canio

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I tried out the painted deck for the "only use 4 jokers" unlock and it's a lot better than I would have given it credit. Losing a joker slot sounds awful and it does hurt but +2 hand size is really strong, so it's kind of like being locked into a joker that gives +2 hand size--which isn't awful. I think it gets a lot less scary once you've dipped your toe into higher stakes and been introduced to eternal jokers, because if you've ever had a run where you were offered an early eternal joker that was strong in a vacuum but didn't synergize well and had to buy it anyhow just to get through the early game--well, that's painted deck in a nutshell.

In some ways it feels like a less busted version of the checkered deck; obviously it's not as flush-centric but it still has a bonkers early game where you just casually get dealt 300+ point hands over and over again. Unlike checkered you have an actual downside to contend with, but you're not really going to feel it for a while, so you've got plenty of time to assemble your engine.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I swear when you take a skip for a shiny joker there is a 50/50 chance that it will be Popcorn/Icecream/Gros Michel.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Orange Stake is just an unfun difficulty jump Booster packs cost one more dollar PER STAKE

It basically means you can't buy boosters because of how bad econ it is, so really the only gameplay is how often you reroll the shop to get good jokers and you're basically left making only low hands because you do not have the deck manipulation available to make anything more consistent.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

the holy poopacy posted:

I swear when you take a skip for a shiny joker there is a 50/50 chance that it will be Popcorn/Icecream/Gros Michel.

I got a first shop polychrome joker last night, and it was ice cream

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Had a fun simple run with an EARLY polychrome Wily Joker, then shortly after that I got a Half Joker and Green Joker, and a Double Tag boost on an Orbital Tag set to Pair - then ANOTHER doubled Orbital Tag for Three of a Kind. I didn't get enough juice to scale it very high in Endless, but it was pretty fun demolishing The Wall with two cards.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

How do wild cards interact with that one joker that wants you to hold onto only spades and clubs (blackboard I think)?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This was one of the most awkward ones. Also it's down to $1 per unique planet so a maximum of $12 a blind. So last one for me is the Glass Joker!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How does Mr Bones work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Infinitum posted:

How does Mr Bones work?

Once the blind ends if you would die, you do not and move on to the next blind.