Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Clay Bennett

Clay Jones

Nick Anderson

Jeff Danziger

Brian McFadden

Tom Tomorrow

Jen Sorensen

Keith Knight

Lalo Alcaraz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
70 million people who still bring up "hanoi jane": yay tucker! why shouldn't we hear from the other side???

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

:thunk:

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

InsertPotPun posted:

70 million people who still bring up "hanoi jane": yay tucker! why shouldn't we hear from the other side???
The relative of mine whose military service was drat near exactly the entirety of the Cold War, is still on about her, and has always been balls-deep conservative, is very confused by this Russia and Trump love.
Basically there are a few people going "we like white male American power structures you lunatics"

Edit at below: lol at that irrational hatred crossing political aisles

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 24, 2024

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

InsertPotPun posted:

my uncle, who is otherwise a pretty standard lib, is still furious at Fonda. Guess the propaganda was pretty effective on him as a kid back when

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I have no idea how to break down the message of this cartoon, but I am happy someone drew meatshoes.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

So do I make the check out to you, or...?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

axolotl farmer posted:

Tom the Dancing Bug feat. Donald and John by Ruben Bolling

The Trump as Calvin thing is starting to get away from him a bit. Or maybe it's just me being weird about a child complaining about not being able to do any sexual assaults, even if the child is supposed to represent an old-as-hell man.

I think I saw these drop in a dungeon once, back when I played WoW.

Technowolf posted:

Clay Bennett

Despite multiple attempts, they have yet to actually get the stake through his heart, which is why he remains a threat.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 24, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Here's the source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wga5A6R9BJg

It has not aged well.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Not quite aged well. But I was immediately reminded of that video seeing all the cartoons about shoes…

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on what Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has done for Vladimir Putin – Two years after the invasion began, there is still no Russian victory in sight"

Telegraph:

Ukraine: The Latest | 'The ammunition situation is f-----' – live from the new front line

Matt:

Odysseus is a concrete step towards the first Moon colony; Thames Water crisis prompts warning that fines could trigger collapse

Independent:

Netanyahu presents Israel’s first official post-Gaza war plan After John Martin.

The i paper:

Liz Truss attacks Biden and fake Conservatives as she rants to half-empty crowd at US right-wing conference

Times:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Phlegmish posted:

That cartoon is so all over the place, it's hard to take seriously. So Navalny and the Ukrainian government are 'neo-nazis', but the actual alt-right authoritarian sympathizer is a hero. Not sure what his angle is, even tankies don't usually contort themselves this much.

NEMØ isn't a tankie, just a straight-up right wing nutjob. The point of the cartoon is "hero dies in prison and everyone memory holes it, but idiot leftie failure dies in prison and we all have to pay attention". This does require you to view Navalny as a leftie, which is, let's call it, a bit dubious, but right wing cartoonists are not known for being closely in touch with reality. (Particularly the "Nazis were actually left-wing" meme, which has been part of the alternate reality conservative cartoonists have lived in for a while now.)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

NEMØ isn't a tankie, just a straight-up right wing nutjob. The point of the cartoon is "hero dies in prison and everyone memory holes it, but idiot leftie failure dies in prison and we all have to pay attention". This does require you to view Navalny as a leftie, which is, let's call it, a bit dubious, but right wing cartoonists are not known for being closely in touch with reality. (Particularly the "Nazis were actually left-wing" meme, which has been part of the alternate reality conservative cartoonists have lived in for a while now.)

Dude seems like an Russian AI bot or something.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

hooman posted:

So the only way to stop the genocide is to let democrats know that we won't vote for them if they do genocide. Got it.

Both major political parties support the genocide. There's virtually nothing we can actually do to prevent it. It's sad, it's awful, but it's also the reality of the situation. Voting Republican will not stop the genocide, and will likely just accelerate it given the bloodlust shown by conservatives towards Muslims in the past. Voting Democratic will also not stop the genocide because the party leadership is unwilling to stop funding Israel.

If we had a functioning democracy, a third party would be able to step up and potentially move the needle among left-leaning parties, but we do not.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

Both major political parties support the genocide. There's virtually nothing we can actually do to prevent it. It's sad, it's awful, but it's also the reality of the situation. Voting Republican will not stop the genocide, and will likely just accelerate it given the bloodlust shown by conservatives towards Muslims in the past. Voting Democratic will also not stop the genocide because the party leadership is unwilling to stop funding Israel.

If we had a functioning democracy, a third party would be able to step up and potentially move the needle among left-leaning parties, but we do not.

I am well aware that both support it, I am talking about preventing future genocides within the context of a nonfunctional democracy, it's a difference between immediate harm reduction and long term harm reduction. I don't want to derail politoons by trying to have this discussion here, come read the Electoral Politics thread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dirk the Average posted:

We have a functioning democracy. Support for Israel, including its actions, is broadly popular, at least to a sufficient degree that "stopping" them is electorally destructive.

This is still not the thread for this garbage.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

We have a functioning democracy. Support for Israel, including its actions, is broadly popular, at least to a sufficient degree that "stopping" them is electorally destructive.

This is still not the thread for this garbage.

So why aren't you posting there, since you clearly have such strong views about it? Especially when you were the one to bring up Trump when someone leveled a fair criticism of Biden. All you are doing is sniping and then demanding nobody respond to your sniping by pointing at a thread that you yourself don't post in.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

hooman posted:

So why aren't you posting there, since you clearly have such strong views about it? Especially when you were the one to bring up Trump when someone leveled a fair criticism of Biden. All you are doing is sniping and then demanding nobody respond to your sniping by pointing at a thread that you yourself don't post in.

The point of the containment thread is so that the mods can finally punish users for repeatedly raising already refuted claims (like the counterfactual that Donald Trump would be better on Israel/Palestine). The post I responded to was about a cartoon criticizing Trump. That's the whole loving point of the counterfactual reframing. I'm pissed because the containment has failed; users are continuing to be obliged to correct these claims in other places because, since they won't entertain you in that thread, you are making the same claims in the loving political cartoons thread.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

I don't disapprove of the message here but please, for the love of God, if you have no idea how poetry works, don't do it.

The again I guess most people in this thread have no idea how art works either and somehow made careers in it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thoughtless posted:

I don't disapprove of the message here but please, for the love of God, if you have no idea how poetry works, don't do it.

The again I guess most people in this thread have no idea how art works either and somehow made careers in it.

To be fair iirc the original poem also fucks up its meter, though in a different place:

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.
She had so many children, she didn't know what to do.
She gave them some broth without any bread;
And whipped them all soundly and put them to bed.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

The point of the containment thread is so that the mods can finally punish users for repeatedly raising already refuted claims (like the counterfactual that Donald Trump would be better on Israel/Palestine). The post I responded to was about a cartoon criticizing Trump. That's the whole loving point of the counterfactual reframing. I'm pissed because the containment has failed; users are continuing to be obliged to correct these claims in other places because, since they won't entertain you in that thread, you are making the same claims in the loving political cartoons thread.

The post you were responding to didn't make the case that Trump would be better on I/P. Neither did the cartoon that post quoted.

Cartoon:

idonotlikepeas posted:

Drew Sheneman

Heliotrope posted:

Hey. Hey Drew. Do you think there might be another reason people don't like Biden other then age? I know Democrats decided that rape wasn't actually that bad when Joe Biden decided to run but "It's fine to help another country carry out their genocide" is gonna be a bit more difficult to sell.

Nobody is obliging you to do anything, you are stuffing words into the mouths of posters and getting into a rage about what you are imagining they are saying. None of the posts you are quoting, Heliotrope, Dirk the Average, nor I have said Trump would be better on I/P, you are projecting that onto us. If you think a post contravenes the rules you have a perfectly functional report button.

hooman fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 25, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

I know what the point is, and I know that even many on the right call everyone they don't agree with a Nazi, but calling Navalny and the entire Ukrainian government neo-nazis but not the actual alt-right grifter...it's just...how do you maintain that level of cognitive dissonance? It's almost impressive.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Yes my point is that Drew and all the other cartoonists who draw "People won't support Biden because he's old!" cartoons are lying. They know that saying "Biden is helping commit a genocide, but you have to vote for him anyway and he's not going to stop supporting it even if he wins" is insane so they try and make it seem like opposition to Biden is ridiculous and arbitrary as opposed to being horrified at what he's enabling.

Trump will most likely be worse, yes. But if you support Biden and want him back because you think he'll do less harm then you can't ignore this. You have to give people a good reason to vote for Biden anyway, not just ignore why people don't want to support him right now. And if you can't, maybe reflect on that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Heliotrope posted:

Yes my point is that Drew and all the other cartoonists who draw "People won't support Biden because he's old!" cartoons are lying. They know that saying "Biden is helping commit a genocide, but you have to vote for him anyway and he's not going to stop supporting it even if he wins" is insane so they try and make it seem like opposition to Biden is ridiculous and arbitrary as opposed to being horrified at what he's enabling.

Trump will most likely be worse, yes. But if you support Biden and want him back because you think he'll do less harm then you can't ignore this. You have to give people a good reason to vote for Biden anyway, not just ignore why people don't want to support him right now. And if you can't, maybe reflect on that.

The cartoon is not a conspiracy by the cartoonist to cover for Biden's I/P policy, it's the daily churned-out response to the thing occupying equal or greater headlines and concerns about Biden, including among democrats.

You are correctly identifying the bullshit counterfactual denial of consequentialism that we are specifically not supposed to have to entertain outside the containment thread. Go there.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Apple Pie Hubbub fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 25, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

The cartoon is not a conspiracy by the cartoonist to cover for Biden's I/P policy, it's the daily churned-out response to the thing occupying equal or greater headlines and concerns about Biden, including among democrats.

You are correctly identifying the bullshit counterfactual denial of consequentialism that we are specifically not supposed to have to entertain outside the containment thread. Go there.

There was no counterfactual, the cartoon claims people do not like Biden because he's old. The response countered that claim.

You were specifically the poster who started this discussion by incorrectly claiming that the post that you quoted said something it didn't. You are directly responsible for this content being in this thread, when instead you could have hit report and moved on and let the mods do their jobs, instead you continue making GBS threads up the thread with backseat modding.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I know what the point is, and I know that even many on the right call everyone they don't agree with a Nazi, but calling Navalny and the entire Ukrainian government neo-nazis but not the actual alt-right grifter...it's just...how do you maintain that level of cognitive dissonance? It's almost impressive.

This is the kind of thing you have to do every day as a conservative in the modern-day US. I think the main tactics involve ignoring any evidence that contradicts your world view; we have a lot of tools for doing that, like claiming it's a pack of lies from people trying to prevent you from seeing the real truth. For instance, in this case, if you consider Nazis to be left-wing, the idea of a right-wing grifter being a Nazi never has to enter your head in the first place. The fact that the Nazis were and are virulently right-wing simply isn't something you have to consider.

Heliotrope posted:

Yes my point is that Drew and all the other cartoonists who draw "People won't support Biden because he's old!" cartoons are lying.

Sheneman actually responded to this post before you made it:

Drew Sheneman posted:

I had a reader point out that Biden isn’t as benign as he’s depicted above. That’'s certainly true, political cartoons are something of a blunt instrument. The few seconds of attention a cartoon demands doesn’t leave much room for subtlety. The larger point remains, however, the choice between the two frontrunners is stark, beware any source that tells you otherwise.

I included his text on this one, even though I generally don't bother doing that with his cartoons (since they tend to stand alone and not require further explanation), specifically to try to keep this argument from happening in this thread. Apparently that was insufficient.

This is going to keep coming up; it's an election year, and people are going to do cartoons about Biden and Trump and their relative merits. I don't know if this is the right procedure, but if someone wants to have a discussion on the topic of election strategy relative to a cartoon, possibly quote it in the relevant thread as an example of whatever you believe it to be an example of? I wouldn't mind some mod guidance on this one, since we probably shouldn't be trying to avoid discussing political cartoons in the political cartoons thread, either.

Amjad Rasmi

Christopher Weyant

Clay Bennett

Darrin Bell

David Horsey

Dick Wright

Jack Ohman

Jeff Danziger

John Darkow

Matt Davies

Mike Smith

Randall Enos

Rick McKee

Walt Handelsman

I heard Ramona Fradon passed away today. Not generally a political cartoonist, but she did draw this:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Is elephant

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Kellies Nomination: Best Edit/Parody

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

A politician doing something that people want makes their polls numbers look better. AGC

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kellies Nomination: Worst Caricature

Has this man ever seen a picture of Melania before?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

hooman posted:

There was no counterfactual, the cartoon claims people do not like Biden because he's old. The response countered that claim.

You were specifically the poster who started this discussion by incorrectly claiming that the post that you quoted said something it didn't. You are directly responsible for this content being in this thread, when instead you could have hit report and moved on and let the mods do their jobs, instead you continue making GBS threads up the thread with backseat modding.

Okay, dude, I can point you at dozens of media articles where pundits question whether BIDEN IS TOO OLD and dozens of polls where IS BIDEN TOO OLD????? is asked of the public and the public responds with YES BIDEN TOO OLD. Christ, it's the subject of a third of the political cartoons for the last month or so.

Insisting that no, no one believes Biden is too old, it's all a cover-up for how everyone hates him for his I/P views is entirely you taking your own opinion, applying it to everyone, ignoring all other evidence. Yes, some people hate him for I/P, but there is also a lot of conversation about him being old.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JamesBont posted:

A politician doing something that people want makes their polls numbers look better. AGC
Yeah it seems like a pretty good plan, but I dunno why they're running cartoons from last election.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

skeleton warrior posted:

Okay, dude, I can point you at dozens of media articles where pundits question whether BIDEN IS TOO OLD and dozens of polls where IS BIDEN TOO OLD????? is asked of the public and the public responds with YES BIDEN TOO OLD. Christ, it's the subject of a third of the political cartoons for the last month or so.

Insisting that no, no one believes Biden is too old, it's all a cover-up for how everyone hates him for his I/P views is entirely you taking your own opinion, applying it to everyone, ignoring all other evidence. Yes, some people hate him for I/P, but there is also a lot of conversation about him being old.

Please quote where I said this.

EDIT: To be clear, I think there are a host of factors contributing to Biden's low approval rating, and the contributing factors go well beyond "Old" and of that there are things that are both within and outside of his control. The cartoon however contrasts the least damning accusation of old with the most damning accusation that could be brought against Trump. Which, to me, justifies the response:

Heliotrope posted:

Hey. Hey Drew. Do you think there might be another reason people don't like Biden other then age? I know Democrats decided that rape wasn't actually that bad when Joe Biden decided to run but "It's fine to help another country carry out their genocide" is gonna be a bit more difficult to sell.

And the author's own commentary seems to agree with this, reading:

Drew Sheneman posted:

I had a reader point out that Biden isn’t as benign as he’s depicted above. That’'s certainly true, political cartoons are something of a blunt instrument.

In context, I think the criticism leveled by Heliotrope is a fair one, that didn't require any of the bullshit that followed.

hooman fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 25, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Shut the gently caress up Fishman.

The only times I have heard of something anything like that happening went: *celebrity chef shows how to prepare something like jerk chicken or pad thai* *members of that community laugh at them for doing it so wrong* *they take their ball and go home and whine about woke cancel culture to the nearest chud media*

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Meanwhile in Gaza, the deaths and destruction go on – The Commons descended into chaos over a ceasefire vote, but the war continues"

Sunday Telegraph:

Britain to spend £250m on artillery shells for Ukraine

Matt:

Sunday Times:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

War harms world peace by Shi Yu

Exacerbating tensions by Cai Meng

AI grants wishes by Luo Jie

The threat by Cai Meng

Blinken's 'table and menu theory' by Luo Jie

Le Monde

Russie : le meurtre de Navalny/Russia: Nalvalny's murder by Nardi from Italy

Plus de neige/No more snow by Micaël

Dernier espoir pour Julian Assange/Last hope for Julian Assange by Ramsés from Cuba

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The threat by Cai Meng

So why are they taking this line? I can't imagine they (or their editors) are pro-Trump or pro-NATO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

100YrsofAttitude posted:

AI grants wishes by Luo Jie

I... I really don't get this one. There is literally no reason shown for the person on the right to be running away screaming from... what looks like just an ordinary genie's lamp?