Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Sorry sorry, they specified no "the". They meant that the letter I was optional depending on the freeway I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao if you use numbers to talk about your highways and don't give them all local names that everyone uses and completely mystify out of towners.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

augias posted:

Sorry sorry, they specified no "the". They meant that the letter I was optional depending on the freeway I think?

That sounds right.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao if you use numbers to talk about your highways and don't give them all local names that everyone uses and completely mystify out of towners.

Didn’t realize you, too, grew up in Houston

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Where I'm at you're either east of the "I" or west of the "I"

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

augias posted:

yeah, that's common. we say "75" a lot. there's also the lodge (dont call it M-10), 94, 96, telegraph. uhhh, what's another cutesy one.

the davison shuffle is nightmarish but i dont have a nickname for it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Didn’t realize you, too, grew up in Houston

how dare you

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Radia posted:

yeah, that's common. we say "75" a lot. there's also the lodge (dont call it M-10), 94, 96, telegraph. uhhh, what's another cutesy one.

the davison shuffle is nightmarish but i dont have a nickname for it

Exit 69 at Big Beaver

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Regional names for roads is fun. Houston is an absolute mess where you'll get 2\3 names for the same roads depending on where you are from downtown.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

R.D. Mangles posted:

That’s New York’s schtick

The van Wyck
The LIE
The BQE
The Cross Bronx
The cross island
The FDR
The west side highway (ok that one is pretty reasonable)
The Henry Hudson

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

BYU was down this year, but I expected their ratings to be a little better based on the copium I consumed in the wake of OUT’s departure.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
When we get casual we just use the numbers. Get on 10 until it hits 65. Accident on 10 west.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

We use the full designation in SC “I-26” or “26” or “526” but local roads are pretty funny.

John’s Island has Main Rd that runs to Kiawah but it is alternately Bohicket Rd and Betsy Kerrison Parkway depending on where you are on the road. Also other state highways will be Old Orangeburg Hwy or a random street name depending on where you are.

its such a loving mess.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Everyone in south Florida says “95”

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
In Baton Rouge you’re required to take I-10/ I-12 to go anywhere in the city.

What’s a loop?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

What’s a loop?

Oklahoma City has 2/3 of a loop, but part of it is a toll road and another part is notorious as the most dangerous stretch of highway in the city, people drive wild on it for whatever reason. They're trying to close the loop but it's drawing a lot of controversy over imminent domain despite it running through a mostly rural area, also that it too would be a permanent toll road.

Everyone also says "I-35/40/44/240," but no one calls I-235 by that designation, it's the "Broadway Extension" :shrug:

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 24, 2024

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
Austin is my favorite city with hosed up roads. I think it has two “loops” that aren’t actually loops.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I like that 75 and 85 connect in atlanta and switch places

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
We don't have cute nicknames for our roads but I do live pretty close to Bob Boozer Drive and Harry Andersen Ave which I refer to as the "guys names roads". The Omaha Steaks HQ is here on a road called John Galt Blvd :jerkbag:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

I like that 75 and 85 connect in atlanta and switch places

Just name it Peachtree Interstate

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Maxwells Demon posted:

Southern California specifically. Anyone north of Santa Barbara will make fun of SoCal people for doing it.
To be fair, the Bay Area has so few 2-digit highways that you don't need the extra syllable to make them feel good to say. "101" is a perfectly reasonable length for a highway name.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Adun posted:

That’s New York’s schtick

The van Wyck
The LIE
The BQE
The Cross Bronx
The cross island
The FDR
The west side highway (ok that one is pretty reasonable)
The Henry Hudson

That's because most of them either overlay roads that had those names or entered service before the interstate system existed. The Van Wyck Expressway replaced the Van Wyck Boulevard. It opened in 1950 and wasn't assigned Interstate 678 until 1965. The Long Island Expressway wasn't Interstate 495 until 1984 and is technically only one segment that was built in the mid 1950s. The BQE was built in the 1930s.

And so on. It isn't really unique to the New York area. It is common for pre-Interstate highways to retain their old names in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic. Like the Pennsylvania Turnpike instead of I-76.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

How DARE you leave out the Major Deegan

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My town is bisected by State Highway 69 :nice:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Seaniqua posted:

The Omaha Steaks HQ is here on a road called John Galt Blvd :jerkbag:

lol we have a John Galt Way in Mt Pleasant, squarely in the silver-spoon shitbag neighborhood full of wifeswapping sociopaths (I’on, if anyone knows it).

I find it intensely funny.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Athens is defined by loop 10, 78 and 316.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

George H.W. oval office posted:

Regional names for roads is fun. Houston is an absolute mess where you'll get 2\3 names for the same roads depending on where you are from downtown.

Some of the names get used and some not. The Katy Freeway goes west, the Gulf Freeway goes to Galveston (the first modern freeway btw), but the road going to Mexico is and will always be 59, regardless of this I-69 business

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

LeeMajors posted:

lol we have a John Galt Way in Mt Pleasant, squarely in the silver-spoon shitbag neighborhood full of wifeswapping sociopaths (I’on, if anyone knows it).

I find it intensely funny.

Ann Rand would be proud.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

Everyone in south Florida says “95”

I legit think if someone here said "the 95" or "the 70" most people wouldn't even know what you meant for a second

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tokyo has a decent ring road system, but some of the C1 roads get a bit hairy. They’re also posted laughably slow for somebody who lived in the U.S.

The Aqua Line is also a fun one, most of it is an underwater tunnel.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Can I ask how this works? You are supposed to say "I was driving down 95 yesterday and merged onto 70 to get home."? This sounds very wrong.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

augias posted:

Can I ask how this works? You are supposed to say "I was driving down 95 yesterday and merged onto 70 to get home."? This sounds very wrong.

Yup, that's exactly what people would say, I. E. "take 29 to 100 to Snowden"

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

Tokyo has a decent ring road system, but some of the C1 roads get a bit hairy. They’re also posted laughably slow for somebody who lived in the U.S.

The Aqua Line is also a fun one, most of it is an underwater tunnel.

Tokyo I think has had some of the best car traffic I’ve ever experienced in a huge city getting in and out of the central areas. Not that I’ve taken many cars since most of the time we’re taking trains but I’ve taken cars from Haneda a few times to Tokyo station and also driven out to Saitama to visit my wife’s family and each time has been shockingly smooth unlike Beijing or Seoul or Bangkok much less London/LA/NYC

I mean it’s understandable given you know WW2

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Canadians would probably die laughing but I honestly could not believe how well-behaved Toronto drivers were compared the loving outrageous shithead nonsense I deal with in SC.

Like, everyone just kind of didn’t speed limit. I’d never seen anything quite like it.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

People in Buffalo put "the" before route numbers, which I've never encountered anywhere else east of the Mississippi.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Adun posted:

Tokyo I think has had some of the best car traffic I’ve ever experienced in a huge city getting in and out of the central areas. Not that I’ve taken many cars since most of the time we’re taking trains but I’ve taken cars from Haneda a few times to Tokyo station and also driven out to Saitama to visit my wife’s family and each time has been shockingly smooth unlike Beijing or Seoul or Bangkok much less London/LA/NYC

The center might be okay (ironically it’s because most is only 2-lane at most, except right before interchanges) but like the Tomei heading in after a holiday weekend can be stopped for miles. It’s awful. And forget trying to head to Kamakura/Enoshima/etc, on surface roads it took me over an hour to go 6 miles a couple weekends ago.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KKKLIP ART posted:

Athens is defined by loop 10, 78 and 316.

Milledge is 441

Athens would have had an actual interstate, but Governor Vandiver redirected I-85 to his hometown of Lavonia, which never grew.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Milledge is 441

Athens would have had an actual interstate, but Governor Vandiver redirected I-85 to his hometown of Lavonia, which never grew.
That's funny, I've heard the story of a few nowhere towns in Alabama that blame their nowhereness on a highway that was supposed to come through but politics happened and it went elsewhere.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Nashville is defined by having the roads designed for about 100,000 people not a million. and now since the snow storm, the potholes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Fluffdaddy posted:

Nashville is defined by having the roads designed for about 100,000 people not a million. and now since the snow storm, the potholes!

it is the loving worst experience ive ever had behind the wheel