Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/ryosuketarou/status/1761022921328529473

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That was a fun episode. I'm liking the side-characters a lot more than I had expected when this arc started but it could be because I like competence.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ChronoReverse posted:

That was a fun episode. I'm liking the side-characters a lot more than I had expected when this arc started but it could be because I like competence.

It makes sense as to get this far you have to be extremely competent and I do appreciate how they all feel uniquely competent rather then all falling into the same mold.

The most important part of this episode is Jealous Fern and they did her perfectly.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I am now completely convinced the plan will be mimmic

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Seeing Fern in a puffer jacket makes me want to see John Allison's take on these characters.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'll say it again, are we absolutely certain Fern isn't a Terminator? :stare:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Fern: Yes, I think i may be able to kill ms. Frieren.

Frieren: That's my girl!

:allears:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I didn't remember Methode or the trio who fought Sense at all from the manga, but they also seem cool.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Fern: Yes, I think i may be able to kill ms. Frieren.

Frieren: That's my girl!

:allears:

(Only joke-spoiler for this episode) Seems a bit of a gamble but maybe that copy does disappear if they just kill her.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 23, 2024

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Little late, but Ranking of Kings has some of the prettiest animation I've seen in a while, isn't at all pervy, and has a gentle heart to it.

Though front half is stronger than the back half, which is a shame because OP2 is my favorite OP of anything ever.

Carnival47
Jul 21, 2004
Really like how they portrayed part of Ubels fight in first person not just because they had the budget for it, but also to emphasis why its too difficult for Ubel to use that stunlock spell

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

drat, that new version of the song demoed in the short fight at the end was sick as heck, looking forward to hearing the full-length there

(could be a different section of the same track of course, like what they've done with zoltraak in various spots)

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 23, 2024

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
In today's episode:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Hunt11 posted:

The most important part of this episode is Jealous Fern and they did her perfectly.
Get your hands off my mother, you hussy! :blastu:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's a bit of a nit to pick but I have trouble telling the floofy brown haired girl who's a master of mind control magic that talks like a grandma and the floofy brown haired girl who hangs out with the soldier mage fuckboi apart

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

One is an ara ara grown woman and the other is a young woman

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Fluffdaddy posted:

One is an ara ara grown woman and the other is a young woman

I think you're talking about the third woman (Methode). They are talking about the ones which got owned by Sense's copy and Fern respectively. To be fair they are quite forgettable and there's no reson to assume that the former would show up again.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It's kinda funny because I'm pretty sure they were never at the same place (outside of a few group shots, I guess) or even interacted with the same people. Like you could just distinguish them by going "the one that is with Wirbel and the one that is not with Wirbel" and you would have 100% success rate in telling them apart.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think you're talking about the third woman (Methode). They are talking about the ones which got owned by Sense's copy and Fern respectively. To be fair they are quite forgettable and there's no reson to assume that the former would show up again.

ah yea, the difference is one is a stare and clap their hands like full metal alchemist and the other throws rocks

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I love how Ubel was simultaneously introduced as a potentially evil character but you also immediately receive all of the tools to discern that she is actually not, even in the first scene in which she is introduced.

Her subsequent actions peel back the onion of her personality for people paying less attention, while giving additional context so the people who got it immediately get to confirm their initial suspicions. In the end, everyone wins.

It offers big payback to people paying attention, while dragging everyone else along too. It's a fun way to tell a story. Frieren is a great show.

That's why, pretty much right away, it's obvious that her "murder" of that mage administering the test is just a red herring. I haven't read the manga but everything we've learned about this character from moment one is that she would never do that unless she was appropriately provoked in some way.

I love how this show constantly rewards careful examination.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 24, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
4-eyes and Übel is a good ship.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

I didn't remember Methode or the trio who fought Sense at all from the manga, but they also seem cool.

(Only joke-spoiler for this episode) Seems a bit of a gamble but maybe that copy does disappear if they just kill her.

Well the trio that fights Sense, as you see, gets wrecked pretty fast, and is pretty much just there so Edel can inform the reader/viewer that nope, hypnosis is definitely not gonna work on the clones. So it definitely makes sense (:rimshot:) that you would forget them. Methode less so, how could you forget Fern's new #1 target?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Right now my working theory is that Sense knows the presence at the bottom of the dungeon.

Idk if anything else really tracks; the copies don't even seem to be trying to outright kill the mages? Fake-Sense has complete carte blanche to kill Edel and simply declines to, though of course that could be related to the pacifist nature of the real Sense pertaining to the copy as well.

But the whole thing is just weird. Taking a bunch of mages down to an unconquered dungeon, one that hasn't been completed for hundreds or thousands of years is much closer to a potential death sentence than it is a test.

You could say "oh well that's just Sense, other copies would kill" but we don't have great examples of that yet. The one possibly deadly trap we saw, the spike trap, seems created to give plenty of chance to smash the golem vial.

Idk I'm probably wrong but I'm continually surprised at how this supposedly impossible dungeon is... not really killing anyone, and don't have a great answer for why yet.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Other parties attempting this dungeon probably didn't have the hilariously powerful golems to get their asses out when things get dangerous. Without them, several people would be dead by now.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Very possible, but also strange is how the golems seem to use the same magic as the clones (or at least seem similar in that they're like, made out of clay material?)

I can't deny though that the seemingly impossibly powerful golems throw a wrench into full understanding.

All I'm really saying is that given the pieces of information we've been given so far, it feels like something is afoot here and things aren't as simple as they appear.

GateOfD posted:

Thought Edel was a goner, but then if the copies is 'perfect' then Sense is also a pacifist, so probably avoided any fatal injuries and enough to make Edel give up

No one has really come close to dying unless you count Ubel's clone but even that is highly suspect because Land was right there to intervene. It was never a dangerous fight.

Even the clones themselves are weird; why are the party members only meeting clones they can kill? Feels much more like solving a puzzle than actually being in danger of death...

anyways, good times! Can't wait for Friday ^_^

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 24, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
they should use magic to make a giant mimic against shdaow frieren
beat Fern's clone with a dakimakura of Stark as bait or a illusion of Stark staying up late or just a giant plate of sweets.

Thought Edel was a goner, but then if the copies is 'perfect' then Sense is also a pacifist, so probably avoided any fatal injuries and enough to make Edel give up

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The clones' aggression is inversely proportional to the percentage of chests revealed to be mimics. The dungeon just hasn't ever had a completionist like Frieren or Himmel make the attempt.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I think the risk of judging the lethality of this place based on what has happened with the clones is that you're not taking into account what made em. If any group going in has to contend with clones of themselves (so, a roughly even match, you have to deliberately use teamwork to beat them, but the clones can also do this) then any losses to traps or mimics hurt even more. Then you gotta deal with whatever monstrous thing can make a clone of Frieren with the same amount of mana and all.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's worse than that, it's a monstrous thing that can detect Frieren is hiding a colossal amount of mana, that's a level of mana sensitivity beyond which we've ever seen. Also the construction it makes are philosophical zombies, they emulate all the facets of a person without actually being a person, so they're completely immune to certain forms of magic. Combined with Frieren's immunity to restraint magic her clone is nigh impossible to beat. I wonder what clever plan Fern has to do it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also, being candidates for first class mage certification, pretty much everyone there is probably in the top 1000 of the global leaderboard for strong humans.

Also also the whole “this setting is dragon quest” in its approach to dungeons logic.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Kwyndig posted:

I wonder what clever plan Fern has to do it.

Walk calmly forward, dead-eyed, while shooting approximately 1000 lasers

edit: she's going to visualize clone frieren sleeping in to avoid chores and go super saiyan

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Pout until the clone relents

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Walk calmly forward, dead-eyed, while shooting approximately 1000 lasers

edit: she's going to visualize clone frieren sleeping in to avoid chores and go super saiyan

I'm honestly expecting this. Fern too fast - overwhelm her with speed, using the other mages to create even more distractions and/or using the other mages to run Fern's defense. Speed of casting is the only thing Frieren has explicitly said Fern is better than her at, so far as I remember.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pork never goes bad posted:

I think the risk of judging the lethality of this place based on what has happened with the clones is that you're not taking into account what made em. If any group going in has to contend with clones of themselves (so, a roughly even match, you have to deliberately use teamwork to beat them, but the clones can also do this) then any losses to traps or mimics hurt even more. Then you gotta deal with whatever monstrous thing can make a clone of Frieren with the same amount of mana and all.

The Copies Teamwork is probably inferior to the real ones, as they can’t communicate and make plans outside of what they would silently do together.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kwyndig posted:

One would presume the same way she wins every fight, rapid casting of the basic attack spell.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

"If that don't work: Use more gun."

Fern likes solving practical problems.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Fern is an engineer with a big stick.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Das Boo posted:

Little late, but Ranking of Kings has some of the prettiest animation I've seen in a while, isn't at all pervy, and has a gentle heart to it.

Though front half is stronger than the back half, which is a shame because OP2 is my favorite OP of anything ever.

ranking of kings OP2 is really so good. i didn't mind the back half of season 1 (dunno if s2 is confirmed but they announced a movie) however the mini-season that came out last year seemed bad

i love how this ep expands Himmel Lore to show that he basically killed an entire mage build/class by aiming for 100% completion

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm sure Himmel is the reason why most dungeons are cleared out in modern times. His completion obsession would have spelled doom for any incomplete dungeons, let alone uncleared dungeons, he encountered.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

I'm sure Himmel is the reason why most dungeons are cleared out in modern times. His completion obsession would have spelled doom for any incomplete dungeons, let alone uncleared dungeons, he encountered.

Ironic that despite not being a mage, in a roundabout way Himmel ended up changing the course of magic (since we know now that most modern mages aren't properly trained with combat built for dungeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Kwyndig posted:

frieren has said as much.

they even said in this ep oh almost every dungeon got cleared in the period before the demon lord's defeat