Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

This is gonna sound like some boomer rear end generational complaining but none of my zoomer friends know how to cook & don’t know how to read recipes so it does end up with air fryer culture being dominant. I am not throwing any shade on anyone who doesn’t know how to do it but as someone who is the partner to a teacher I do think part of it is that a lot of schools have eliminated stuff like home ec. Anything that looks good on a test (gen ed stuff, history) or provides shareholder value (programming) is still around but what happened to home economics, automotive etc. unless you’re an enthusiast nobody really knows how to do overall household stuff and I think that’s sad

There are Junior High courses like Food & Nutrition that no one wants to teach usually. I got one last year to fill out my schedule and it was awesome- I taught the kids how to cut properly, prepare large meals, cook meat safely, etc, all keeping in mind budgets. We even did an international thing, where students researched a country and a food from it, which we then made.

I was going to teach them how to bbq but we got a lot of rain at the end of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i didnt really start learning how to cook for myself until i was in my mid 20s. also i havent done the math lately but with the price of groceries these days unless you are really strategic with your menu it seems dubious that you can eat cheaper by cooking yourself especially once you factor in the time it takes to buy and prepare a meal from scratch. its a lot of work and still expensive so im not surprised younger generations arent doing it much yet especially if they are cooking for 1 or 2 people only

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

This is gonna sound like some boomer rear end generational complaining but none of my zoomer friends know how to cook & don’t know how to read recipes so it does end up with air fryer culture being dominant. I am not throwing any shade on anyone who doesn’t know how to do it but as someone who is the partner to a teacher I do think part of it is that a lot of schools have eliminated stuff like home ec. Anything that looks good on a test (gen ed stuff, history) or provides shareholder value (programming) is still around but what happened to home economics, automotive etc. unless you’re an enthusiast nobody really knows how to do overall household stuff and I think that’s sad

These are all still options at my kids high school.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Maybe it’s just my red rear end state. I had a whole aviation program at my hs which is how I got my pilot’s license for close to free

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah in the south ive never heard of a public school having any of that poo poo my whole life lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Quality of education varies greatly by school district. I grew up in a nice area with terribly funded schools. The low point was high school chemistry where we had to pretend we were doing experiments, including doing the reports and everything. The teacher just described to us the things we would be seeing and we had to copy down the "results"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The 3 point shot has degraded basketball fundamentals.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

It is both fair and necessary to give poo poo to people who can't feed themselves.

Wasn’t there some terminally online Twitter people feud about making fun of people who don’t cook? Like because they were claiming it was some sort of trauma thing?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

redshirt posted:

The 3 point shot has degraded basketball fundamentals.

As a non sports player or watcher, I remember telling my friends in high school “why don’t people just shoot threes? Like why not practice nothing but shooting as far back as you can. It would be almost impossible to guard” and being told that wouldn’t work and nobody could do it.

Look who’s laughing now!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Wasn’t there some terminally online Twitter people feud about

yes

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Wasn’t there some terminally online Twitter people feud about making fun of people who don’t cook? Like because they were claiming it was some sort of trauma thing?

Probably. People will rally over any dumb position for clout. I’m sure back when people were making fun of dudes for not wiping their asses someone was posting how that’s actually a very ableist thing to say and that expecting people to not be covered in poo poo is problematic

As for cooking, there’s basically no excuse apart from disability for not learning how to do it. Even if you grew up in a cave eating berries, you have access to the internet and there are tons of recipes that require basically no skill or knowledge. I barely cook but even I can fry an egg or get some rice or pasta going and that’s enough of a foundation to make carbonara or a stir fry or something

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Twitter weirdos once got mad at some lady for bringing some chili to a neighbor.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

thathonkey posted:

i didnt really start learning how to cook for myself until i was in my mid 20s. also i havent done the math lately but with the price of groceries these days unless you are really strategic with your menu it seems dubious that you can eat cheaper by cooking yourself especially once you factor in the time it takes to buy and prepare a meal from scratch. its a lot of work and still expensive so im not surprised younger generations arent doing it much yet especially if they are cooking for 1 or 2 people only

Yeah and while cooking is absolutely a good life skill, it's never been something every single human has known how to do. Restaurants and household splits of chores where someone is the family cook, those scenarios have been around pretty much as long as civilization.

poo poo even in the previous century in the USA, it was considered weird for a dude to know how to cook bc his wife is gonna do that for him. The 'everyone should cook' ideal is a pushback against that, and rightly so. But truly, we've never been in a time where everyone knows how to cook, it's an aspirational thing for our culture, not a reality.

Combine that with the reality that lots of disabled people have trouble with cooking and I'm pretty much done with the ableism folks who poo-poo anyone who doesn't cook as less than human or somehow unskilled in other ways. That's the wrong extreme to take the ideal that everyone should contribute in a household.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 25, 2024

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

As a non sports player or watcher, I remember telling my friends in high school “why don’t people just shoot threes? Like why not practice nothing but shooting as far back as you can. It would be almost impossible to guard” and being told that wouldn’t work and nobody could do it.

Look who’s laughing now!

When I was in Jr High there was a kid who only ever practiced shooting from the other end of the court and could fairly reliably get the ball in- definitely not 100%, but close enough that it would at least bounce back in our direction if he missed.

Yeah I don’t know either. It makes the game more exciting to watch?

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

silicone thrills posted:

Twitter weirdos once got mad at some lady for bringing some chili to a neighbor.

Yeah poor Chinchillazilla, tried to cook her neighbors some chili and got called ableist. Between that and the whole Jorts the cat is ableist discourse, I started wondering if Twitter was getting shittier or maybe it was always lovely, and I just didn’t notice until then.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Maybe it’s just my red rear end state. I had a whole aviation program at my hs which is how I got my pilot’s license for close to free

Dang first time I've ever envied a red state.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Complaining (or complimenting) about the American education system is futile because no such thing exists. At best there are state level education systems and even they are often more vague figureheads for whatever county/city government runs an areas schools. Just a complete madhouse of organizing. And that’s before you get into the private/charter nonsense.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

galagazombie posted:

Complaining (or complimenting) about the American education system is futile because no such thing exists. At best there are state level education systems and even they are often more vague figureheads for whatever county/city government runs an areas schools. Just a complete madhouse of organizing. And that’s before you get into the private/charter nonsense.

this is clearly the best and only possibility

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Free market education, only the best

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rochallor posted:

There are like 5 people still actively posting on Facebook so I check it once a week or so and yeah, scroll down more than 7 posts and it is the most insane collection of "curated" posts you could possibly imagine. I do not want to meet the person to whom it appeals. Why has the algorithm decided I want to see historic pictures of Salem, OR, a city to which I have never been? Instagram does the same thing, and all it does is make me spend less time on their platform.

Facebook persists in showing me that a friend of mine in another state (and Facebook knows his location and mine) clicked Interested in a public event.
I dutifully click the X to train the algorithm that this is not useful, but if I come back later in the day it'll be there again.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey posted:

Restaurants pay all of that for their supplies and then labor and rent and owner profit on top of that. YMMV with location of course but I can still buy at least a kilo of pork or chicken for the price of a single lunch. Sometimes more like two kilos on sale, it's not even close.

It can be a lot of work if you want to make a different, complicated recipe for every single meal but you don't have to. Just make several portions at once.

Pipistrelle posted:

Yeah poor Chinchillazilla, tried to cook her neighbors some chili and got called ableist. Between that and the whole Jorts the cat is ableist discourse, I started wondering if Twitter was getting shittier or maybe it was always lovely, and I just didn’t notice until then.
Never heard of that drama but I remember Lindsay Ellis getting canceled over some absolute nonsense about anime history or some poo poo lol

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Windows just updated and has some bullshit "AI" garbage built in that I can't uninstall or turn off, gently caress you Microsoft.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Quote-Unquote posted:

Windows just updated and has some bullshit "AI" garbage built in that I can't uninstall or turn off, gently caress you Microsoft.

That happened weeks ago there was even a thread about it

My most recent update moved it from permanently pinned to the task bar next to search to permanently pinned next to the taskbar clock

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Restaurants pay all of that for their supplies and then labor and rent and owner profit on top of that. YMMV with location of course but I can still buy at least a kilo of pork or chicken for the price of a single lunch. Sometimes more like two kilos on sale, it's not even close.

It can be a lot of work if you want to make a different, complicated recipe for every single meal but you don't have to. Just make several portions at once.

Storing 1-2kg of meat is like 10-40% of the fridge/freezer real estate in a regular apartment.

Also one thing I haven't seen mentioned - its totally possible to gently caress up cooking a meal and not have anything to show for the money and time invested. This is a bigger problem if you budgeted several portions from the meal.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
I just discovered Projectivy as a replacement launcher for my Android TV-type devices (like chromecast or built into the TV) and I feel stupid for not doing this years ago. Wow.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I remember Gmail for the first decade had some running counter showing you how they were adding more storage more quickly than you could ever possibly use it.

Now they're giving me a banner at the top of the page saying "you used up all your storage, pay us or delete poo poo or soon you won't receive emails lmao!"

All I have taking up space besides the emails were photos. Which were also supposed to be free to store forever when you bought a Pixel phone but I guess they walked that back too: https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/06/02/how-to-google-photos-pixel-free/

Vampire Panties posted:

Also one thing I haven't seen mentioned - its totally possible to gently caress up cooking a meal and not have anything to show for the money and time invested. This is a bigger problem if you budgeted several portions from the meal.

I mean it's possible but that's a pretty serious skill issue if you render meals inedible often enough to be worried about it.

There's no universe where rice/beans and a supermarket rotisserie chicken is gonna be more expensive than eating out.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It's still much cheaper than fast food to buy ingredients and make food yourself. Anyone saying otherwise is Lucille Bluthing too hard

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im just confident someone is at business school right now figuring out how to eliminate rice and beans

like you can only buy rice and beans with burlap sacks you must rent from Goya Corp or some poo poo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

It's still much cheaper than fast food to buy ingredients and make food yourself. Anyone saying otherwise is Lucille Bluthing too hard

I realize this is all higher end ingredients, but a 6 pack of Impossible Meat burger patties is 18.99 at my store, and a 6 pack of brioche buns is $7. So right from the store that's 4 dollars for a veggie burger with nothing else considered. If it does end up cheaper than going out, it's real close.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

redshirt posted:

I realize this is all higher end ingredients, but a 6 pack of Impossible Meat burger patties is 18.99 at my store, and a 6 pack of brioche buns is $7. So right from the store that's 4 dollars for a veggie burger with nothing else considered. If it does end up cheaper than going out, it's real close.

That's still cheaper by several dollars each than an impossible whopper (just the sandwich). And you picked the most ridiculous options.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 25, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

That's still cheaper by several dollars each than an impossible whopper. And you picked the most ridiculous options.

Add in the other ingredients and it's real close. And I said they were expensive items, as for sure you could just get a box of store brand pasta and sauce and that would be very cheap compared to fast food.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

redshirt posted:

Add in the other ingredients and it's real close. And I said they were expensive items, as for sure you could just get a box of store brand pasta and sauce and that would be very cheap compared to fast food.
No in fact it is not still really close, a fast food combo is upward of 10 to $12 these days.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

No in fact it is not still really close, a fast food combo is upward of 10 to $12 these days.

I didn't say combo.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

redshirt posted:

I didn't say combo.

You do know stuff like ketchup and mustard and iceberry lettuce is a few cents per serving, right? And nobody struggling to make ends meet is worried about brioche buns or high-end veggie patties. Do you even have a point or know what you're talking about?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Condiments have a small up front cost but they last a while

Anyway, eating fastfood where I live is now ~$30 to $40 for two people. It’s way cheaper to eat at home buying smart and planning.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

You do know stuff like ketchup and mustard and iceberry lettuce is a few cents per serving, right? And nobody struggling to make ends meet is worried about brioche buns or high-end veggie patties. Do you even have a point or know what you're talking about?

lol guess not.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

20 Blunts posted:

im just confident someone is at business school right now figuring out how to eliminate rice and beans

like you can only buy rice and beans with burlap sacks you must rent from Goya Corp or some poo poo

The Juicero model

DRM for groceries, if you don't use up the whole package within a set time period, it self-destructs by releasing a chemical stored in the packaging. Tempering also releases the same chemical. It's to protect the health of the consumer, you see.

So you'd better use up that bottle of ketchup within a week of purchase

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Impossible burgers are the tastiest ones out there and about as expensive over here. But the 2nd best option (De Vegetarische Slager) over here is €3ish per two and still really tasty. And store brand (meh... edible) is €1,89 per two patties.

How expensive your meal has to be, depends fully on how refined your tastebuds are.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

ya’ll are crazy. shop those sales and learn to cook and you can eat real good for cheap. get to know the vendors at your farmers market and start working out deals for their ugly produce. see what they have going on at salvage grocers. set your price point and don’t be picky. that’s all you gotta do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I buy the most expensive option on purpose. Its good to have a high paying job