Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

People sure do get worked up over maybe a minute and a half of distraction out of a 40+ hour experience.

Beyond the joke explanation I think it's also just world building. This reactor is in bum gently caress nowhere where only country hicks live so Shinra has no actual interest in maintaining anything out there. There's dangerous radiation leaking out unchecked because they don't give a poo poo.

Could it have been demonstrated in a better less tedious manner? Absolutely.

Is it worth severe ire over it though? Dude it's like maybe 2 minutes of time gone who cares go l continue onwards to the rest of the super cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean if you genuinely feel the latter way you may want to not buy the game because Rebirth genuinely near-constantly is asking you to do different poo poo. I'm not saying this in a dismissive way, I'm saying it in a "this is the active stated intention of the game to throw tons of different things at you which could have been glossed over but, like in FF7 itself, are instead goofy minigames of varying quality" and if that bugs you then I can see you not enjoying the game.

I think they've made a mistake by making the demo have me question if I can actually be bothered playing their game despite liking the first one.

It also has the walk very slowly and crawl very slowly bits which are frankly grown inducing. It completely undermined the tension for me, especially sephiroth and the villagers just like standing around waiting for you to hold L2 so they can animate.

Like I replayed the first one and love a lot of it, but a lot of it is extremely tedious and annoying. It isn't better or amusing if it's just a nod to tedious annoying things from the past. It's just encouraging you to do something else with your time.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Is it worth severe ire over it though? Dude it's like maybe 2 minutes of time gone who cares go l continue onwards to the rest of the super cool game.

It's a short demo. I haven't played the full game so how do I know what to expect when playing it further? Ire is also some pretty flavourful language for people saying it's pointlessly annoying.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 25, 2024

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

JBP posted:

I think they've made a mistake by making the demo have me question if I can actually be bothered playing their game despite liking the first one.

It also has the walk very slowly and crawl very slowly bits which are frankly grown inducing. It completely undermined the tension for me, especially sephiroth and the villagers just like standing around waiting for you to hold L2 so they can animate.

Like I replayed the first one and love a lot of it, but a lot of it is extremely tedious and annoying. It isn't better or amusing if it's just a nod to tedious annoying things from the past. It's just encouraging you to do something else with your time.

Yeah, because your time is so valuable, guy posting on Something Awful on a saturday night

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah, because your time is so valuable, guy posting on Something Awful on a saturday night

Are you ok? Did you make the game?

It's Sunday afternoon and I'm having a beer on my balcony btw

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like to be 100% clear:

Rebirth is going to waste your time. It is going to ask you to play minigames for no reason other than to have minigames. It's going to throw in random puzzles because why not? The pacing is going to slow down in a lot of points. If you're the kind of person who gets upset at a game doing that, you're going to hate Rebirth, because it is genuinely more interested in being constantly varied and surprising than it is in being consistent and focused. Not all the minigames and distractions work, and which ones do/don't work is probably going to depend on you. (Rarely do they block story progression since you can usually fail and you'll just get made fun of and maybe lose a prize you can get later.)

If you're approaching the game with the viewpoint of not wanting something that (in both good and bad ways) is bloated with content for the sake of content then you'll probably genuinely be frustrated with it, in much the same way as you probably wouldn't enjoy a Yakuza game if the idea of having to take a time out to play Animal Crossing bothers you. It's an intentional design choice in that regards to just have poo poo happen, sometimes randomly.

I personally find it appealing, I like how absolutely overstuffed, ambitious and unfocused it is, it's like the opposite of FF16 in that regards, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to waste your time and then laugh about it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

JBP posted:

Are you ok? Did you make the game?

It's Sunday afternoon and I'm having a beer on my balcony btw

...okay yeah timezones kinda hosed my joke there, enjoy living your best life I guess

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Over the past couple of months, I've replayed/watched the following

OG FF7
Crisis Core Reunion
FF7 Remake + INTERmission
Advent Children

Now I truly venture into darkness

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The vacuum poo poo in the demo is incomprehensible. They aren't even puzzles. What is the point

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For what it is worth the vaccuum is almost the nadir of that kind of stuff in the game. There's only one joke I genuinely think is worse, but it's also far more bluntly a joke, where you're following a group of Robed Men towards a goal and the entire party is besides themselves with frustrating at how loving slow they move, and you can push them to very slightly speed them up while the party gets more and more frustrated. That one fell extremely goddamn flat to me even with some funny dialogue but it's also about 3-5 minutes of gameplay tops so it's more a minor annoyance than a serious game-ruining thing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah look I'm still going to play it because I love FF7 and FF7R a lot. I'm just saying a few things in the demo had me going come the gently caress on.

I'm sure once I'm 50 hours in nudging a turtle across some dunes like Homer Simpson it won't be quite as glaring and they may have earned the gag to boot.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
“I don’t like my time being wasted” says man wasting his time

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Unlucky7 posted:

“I don’t like my time being wasted” says man wasting his time

Can you ctrl-f up a post about time being wasted for me? I can't find it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only time I felt the "pacing" slow to the crawl in Remake was doing the hand crane stuff but that has one of the best payoffs in the game. The music in that section is super good too so it was all good. As long as the payoff is worth it I'll sit through a little tedium.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jimbot posted:

Only time I felt the "pacing" slow to the crawl in Remake was doing the hand crane stuff but that has one of the best payoffs in the game. The music in that section is super good too so it was all good. As long as the payoff is worth it I'll sit through a little tedium.

I agree. I guess the payoff in the demo was reprising the Sephiroth walking through flames thing, but it didn't really land for me because the preceding bit with the villagers felt hokey.

E: like Cloud could run in, find everyone dead or Sephiroth finishing someone off, then go straight into Sephiroth giving him the evil smirk and walking off. The very slow walking and L2/R2 crawl were having a shot at tension but it felt like the opposite of tension to me.

Like oh a beam fell on me, time to limp. Oh another beam fell down guess I'll slowly walk around this building now. Wow mom's house really is on fire well good grief I suppose. Ah I appear to be more seriously wounded, glad Sephiroth is happy to wait for me to hold L2. Oh he got one, better press R2 that will... Oh... Oh no pressing R2 made him get another one. L2 and R2!? This'll get the job done.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 25, 2024

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

JBP posted:

Can you ctrl-f up a post about time being wasted for me? I can't find it.

lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Still waiting on u

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
The vacuuming is annoying and hurts the pacing not because it takes a lot of time but because it feels bad: if it was just a little more responsive, it would stand out a lot less. That said, unlike the later sequence where you're crawling around, I don't think it's an attempt at integrating the gameplay and Cloud's perspective: he doesn't seem annoyed by what he's doing, it just feels bad on the player's end. It might play better as a joke, if that's what's intended, if he were more vocally annoyed by it.

The intent behind the crawling around later seems a lot clearer: Cloud's powerless and struggling in his story and they want you to interface with by having to actually move him around in the scene. It's still fails to land because having an independently occurring scene play out as you hit the prompts is very awkward, but at least it's more obvious what they were going for.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sounds like you're just a high flying big shot complaining about their time being wasted to me.

I agree. Especially on cloud not seeming to give a poo poo about being asked to do stuff by his hero. It's only annoying to the player.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom, did you play on Normal or Dynamic? I'm kind of curious how Dynamic mode works and if its level scaling feels satisfying.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

JBP posted:

Sounds like you're just a high flying big shot complaining about their time being wasted to me.

Nice meltdown

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Unlucky7 posted:

Nice meltdown

I'm sorry you had an emotional response to a comment on the videogame demo. I didn't expect it to hit so hard. Hopefully you can move on with your day and enjoy it.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

JBP posted:

It's a short demo. I haven't played the full game so how do I know what to expect when playing it further? Ire is also some pretty flavourful language for people saying it's pointlessly annoying.

it may not be to your taste, but i think a lot of people would be disappointed if little annoying stuff wasn't retained/expanded because they do find it amusing. that's what i think ImpAtom is referencing with the jokes

i dunno why some folks are so worked up at you but i'm pretty sure this is the first time The Vacuum has come up in the 2-3 weeks since the initial demo dropped, so i think it's also a bit of a newer debate than performance/graphics mode

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

stuker posted:

it may not be to your taste, but i think a lot of people would be disappointed if little annoying stuff wasn't retained/expanded because they do find it amusing. that's what i think ImpAtom is referencing with the jokes

i dunno why some folks are so worked up at you but i'm pretty sure this is the first time The Vacuum has come up in the 2-3 weeks since the initial demo dropped, so i think it's also a bit of a newer debate than performance/graphics mode

I totally get where impatom is coming from and appreciate him reading posts and having a coherent opinion as usual.

Honestly I wouldn't have glommed onto it so much if I was more impressed with the demo overall. There were a number of weak aspects to me, the main one being how the village was presented at the end.

Thinking further on it, it makes me wonder how they're going to handle Aerith (should that happen). Am I going to be doing some weird player involvement button pressing? Will it be sudden and shocking or drawn out and laborious?

I may be misremembering the original, but from memory when you hit that scene you don't have a heap of lead time. The poo poo hits the fan, Cloud goes to the location and Sephiroth has lost it and does the cool fmv. It undermined the cool fmv coming back for me, which was a shame.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

JBP posted:

Thinking further on it, it makes me wonder how they're going to handle Aerith (should that happen). Am I going to be doing some weird player involvement button pressing? Will it be sudden and shocking or drawn out and laborious?

I may be misremembering the original, but from memory when you hit that scene you don't have a heap of lead time. The poo poo hits the fan, Cloud goes to the location and Sephiroth has lost it and does the cool fmv. It undermined the cool fmv coming back for me, which was a shame.

"7 seconds before the end"

though i will never stop laughing if they make that sequence a QTE in rebirth

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stuker posted:

"7 seconds before the end"

though i will never stop laughing if they make that sequence a QTE in rebirth

Nah, they're not gonna put that to ANYTHING player determinate because they still have a Part 3 to make and they're not gonna make two different versions of the game depending on if you hosed up a timing puzzle or not. Either Aerith lives and they make that game, or Aerith dies and they make that game.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

oh i would expect the QTE to end the same way regardless, just maybe cloud gets to make an exaggerated stumble along the way

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Maximum haptic resistance as you pull L2/R2 to cover Cloud's eyes as he begins to weep.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

ImpAtom, did you play on Normal or Dynamic? I'm kind of curious how Dynamic mode works and if its level scaling feels satisfying.

I swapped between the two. Dynamic honestly felt like it was fine to me, maybe even how it was intended. Normal is fine but I found that on normal stuff felt a bit too squishy (as I was doing all the side quests and stuff). Dynamic at least gave them a bit more meat.

Oh! The game absolutely fixed the "cutscene ruins stagger" thing for the most part. I feel like every time it happened the stagger meter was preserved rather than being lost, which also contributes to things being a bit easier.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is there a lot of side stuff that has story attached or is it mainly minigames?

Without huge spoilers I know you can't play as Cid or Vincent, but how are they handled? Just kind of a couple of dudes that do their own thing adjacent to you, or do they hang with the group and not get involved in combat for reasons?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

Is there a lot of side stuff that has story attached or is it mainly minigames?

Without huge spoilers I know you can't play as Cid or Vincent, but how are they handled? Just kind of a couple of dudes that do their own thing adjacent to you, or do they hang with the group and not get involved in combat for reasons?

There is a fair amount of story-based side stuff (which often has its own minigames). Some of the minigames also have their own associated questlines, like Queen's Blood the CCG. Pretty much every sidequest has an associated mini-plot that ties into one of the main characters.

Cid acts as a pilot for when you unlock fast travel and has some plot stuff. He's hanging out because he's your pilot but he doesn't have any real reason to get into fights alongside you. Vincent is following after you but because he's Vincent he spends most of his time doing loner poo poo off by himself. (Sometimes to humorous effect.) He'll show up and then go sulk in a corner or something. I'm like 70% sure he's going to get his own DLC ala Yuffie where he's off having a brief solo adventure.

Of the two, Vincent is the only one I find kind of distracting. Cid not being a fighter feels perfectly natural for his role in the story but Vincent feels a bit like "this guy probably should have just joined the party but they gotta save something for Part 3."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hope when we get to Part 3 they still have the Emerald Weapon be this utter menace haunting the bottom of the ocean that you can just run into. I want it to feel like seeing a leviathan in subnautica

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stuker posted:

oh i would expect the QTE to end the same way regardless, just maybe cloud gets to make an exaggerated stumble along the way

Please God let it be of a level of the infamous Heavy Rain QTE chase gently caress up sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy44s_de15Y

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
How hard does the piano game get

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
In part 3 you'll have to be able to use the mako vacuum proficiently to survive Sephiroth's supernova.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argue posted:

How hard does the piano game get

It gets pretty tough I think. It's easily the hardest of the minigames IMO but I also am not the most rhythmic person.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Thankfully I don’t think you need to be perfect to get the trophy for it, just pretty good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Augus posted:

I hope when we get to Part 3 they still have the Emerald Weapon be this utter menace haunting the bottom of the ocean that you can just run into. I want it to feel like seeing a leviathan in subnautica

I feel its too cool for them to not at least make a big sidequest chain about it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I forgot the piano game! That was a highlight.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

playing through crisis core.... so does sephiroth call cloud a puppy in the remake flashback because these SOLDIERs all called zack that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I wonder how many people missed that you could press the sprint button to move the vacuum much faster