Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Herstory Begins Now posted:

what the gently caress is this game doing that the menu screen and even the pre-login screen have my graphics card going at 100% while in game it uses like 20%. that's even with fps limited

Do you limit your fps to your monitor's refresh rate in the settings? I don't notice my 3080 preparing for launch but I'll actually turn on something to monitor it next time.

Last night I went to switch a zone and started a YouTube video. A couple videos later it was still loading so I just alt-f4'd the game. I'm usually a huge ARPG super nerd logging a lot of hours initially but they're making it hard for me to get into this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Suburban Dad posted:

Last night I went to switch a zone and started a YouTube video. A couple videos later it was still loading so I just alt-f4'd the game. I'm usually a huge ARPG super nerd logging a lot of hours initially but they're making it hard for me to get into this game.

It's especially wtf as this goes away. You can run the endgame monolith content all day but trying to do the campaign is rolling the dice every time you zone.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

So I was playing on Steam Deck fully offline and had a series of crashes for some reason (after it ran smoothly for 2 or 3 days with no issues.) After the most recent crash, my level 40 offline warlock is just flat gone.

Rebooting, changing the form of Proton I'm using (and going back again), going online and then offline again, verifying files, turning Steam Cloud off and on again. Nada.

Anyone have any knowledge of how to potentially restore a save that's been lost -- on Steam Deck specifically? Because losing those 15 or so hours I put into the character is really chuffing my desire to go back to LE until they support SD. If they do at all. :/

(sucks because Warlock was ridiculously fun.)

Just chiming in to say I've had a couple of instances of the game freezing up on steam deck in the last couple of days, which I've never had before.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Double Bill posted:

50k+ queue now, and it's not moving at all. Looks broken.

Its bugged, hence the workaround.
Some people report changing server, closing game AND steam then connecting to that random server (asia instead of EU/US for example) several times works.
They seem to have some middlepoint broken and are working on it

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i feel like no matter how bad a unique is, the 3lp and 4lp versions will sell. i base this on seeing no 0 gold listings on even the least used uniques

pic unrelated

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

immortal ward lich reaper?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Oenis posted:

I wanted to do a homebrew Lightning Blast build, found out that Disintegrate periodically triggers Lightning blast, and thought wow, that's so cool. I played like 10 levels until I found out that this does less damage than just hardcasting lightning blast, which is really disappointing, especially since Disintegrate shows a pretty high damage number. Does it not use your Lightning Blast levels or something, or is Disintegrate just bugged? Are there better ways to live out my chain lightning fantasy?

Certain nodes are excluded - the alt text on the chains says "does not include triggered casts". The same applies for the double/quad cast lightning blast nodes. It should still be using the rest of the buffs.

Sadly if you want chain lightning you'll need to cast it yourself :(

If you are building lightning blast you might want to also spec static - it also has a trigger, again it won't chain/double cast but it's essentially another free cast per second, with all the potential gains that includes.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Oenis posted:

I wanted to do a homebrew Lightning Blast build, found out that Disintegrate periodically triggers Lightning blast, and thought wow, that's so cool. I played like 10 levels until I found out that this does less damage than just hardcasting lightning blast, which is really disappointing, especially since Disintegrate shows a pretty high damage number. Does it not use your Lightning Blast levels or something, or is Disintegrate just bugged? Are there better ways to live out my chain lightning fantasy?

Disintegrate is a very outdated skill and you need to use some niche, gimmicky stuff to make it do damage. In the Lightning Blast skill tree you can get more chains by casting it directly with the Arcing Power node and then have Frost Wall and Static triggering extra casts on top of what you're already doing for a lot of lightning.

Here is a recent build guide on that kind of setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJTd0wpi4Rg

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Erulisse posted:

immortal ward lich reaper?

earthquake beastmaster

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Mikojan posted:

Any rogue players managed to make shurikens feel good? I keep finding uniques related to it, but I come out dissapointed every time

Lightning Chakrams with dual Fulgurite Shards is very good. The Entry Points node is the key to doing damage. It gives you two separate 90% more multipliers if you can meet both the bleeding and poison stack requirements, which is very easy for rogue. Take the two nodes that give extra shurikens and the crit chance (and crit multi with extra levels) node and you're good.

Shurikens usually isn't a DPS skill, though. Taking the Blade Shield and Bladed Armor set of nodes to make them rotate around you and give you armor is a very common setup for defense. You can proc Shurikens via Shift to get the Blade Shield so you don't even need the skill on your bar.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mikojan posted:

Any rogue players managed to make shurikens feel good? I keep finding uniques related to it, but I come out dissapointed every time

Haven't used Shurikens specifically, but the key to dealing good damage with any Throwing skill is that you don't get flat throwing damage on your weapons, you get it from affixes on amulets, rings, gloves, belts, and relics. Using crafting, you can easily give yourself like +20 on each of those slots, for a total of about +100, not to mention any flat +damage you can find in your passive tree. Then you go for a skill tree build that throws as many shurikens as possible with full piercing and the ability to hit the same target multiple times, to apply that +100 as many times as possible. You probably also want bleed synergies since each of those hits can apply bleed.

Edit: This works best with a Falconer since they can convert flat throwing damage into falcon melee damage, and falcons have insane multipliers on all their skills.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 25, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Suburban Dad posted:

Do you limit your fps to your monitor's refresh rate in the settings? I don't notice my 3080 preparing for launch but I'll actually turn on something to monitor it next time.

it happens even when fps is limited way below it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Turning off TAA fixed the blurriness! Yay.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Another morning, another "servers aren't working".

SteamDB - 264k, a new all-time high *again*, 32 minutes ago.

Man, their backend just cannot keep up.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 25, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they're significantly above poe's peak on steam, good for them :3:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I made the mistake of leaving monoliths, haha.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was able to play for a couple hours before the servers crapped themselves last night. I started as a Mage and was delighted to see that there seems to be a clear pathway towards a Telenova setup, the most superior of all builds. So far the available classes and specializations all seem to be well-designed and creative. Are there any missable skillpoints that are locked behind campaign sidequests?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

exquisite tea posted:

I was able to play for a couple hours before the servers crapped themselves last night. I started as a Mage and was delighted to see that there seems to be a clear pathway towards a Telenova setup, the most superior of all builds. So far the available classes and specializations all seem to be well-designed and creative. Are there any missable skillpoints that are locked behind campaign sidequests?

theres an abundant amount of sidequests with skillpoints but you dont need to do all of them, you max out so the rest are redundant

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Are there any missable skillpoints that are locked behind campaign sidequests?

You can gain up to 15 extra skillpoints from quests, and there are far more than 15 quests that give skillpoints.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Anybody doing a dive bomb Valkyrie build? Dive bomb seems insane if you set it up right, and Valkyrie has synergy with the node that reduces traversal skill cooldown when you hit a boss, since Valkyrie makes dive bomb a cooldown. My thoughts are:

Synch strikes for on demand shadows plus maybe only way to get 5 shadows for falconer? Smoke bomb doesn’t produce shadows fast enough, plus I can’t spam umbral blades with only smoke bomb because they’ll eat the shadows.

Umbral blades as a mana generator, cool down reduction machine for dive bomb and falcon strike and damage boost for dive bomb.

Smoke bomb — double damage for dive bomb while active, plus lots of other goodies.

Falconry — obviously. Main idea would be to go for the nodes that transfer player damage to the falcon, extra hits on falcon strike and cool down reduction on attack. I’d love to go for cooldown reset on consuming falconer’s mark, but synch strikes is already too mana hungry.

Dive bomb — specced for shadow falcons, cooldown reduction on ranged hit, cooldown reduction on hitting a boss or rare and Valkyrie. I think the basic cooldown reduction node is broken? At least it shows no effect in the tool tip.

Any advice? In particular, I can’t get enough skill point for everything I want in dive bomb and am not sure what to let go.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WarEternal posted:

I made the mistake of leaving monoliths, haha.

I did this as well, and now I cant log back in and im sad about it.

Lightning blast rune master is pretty good tbh

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Cannot get back to the map from town, haha. I might just play fully offline for a bit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

they're significantly above poe's peak on steam, good for them :3:

That’s pretty wild. I certainly didn’t expect that, but I guess PoE has a reputation that kept it from growing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

queeb posted:

theres an abundant amount of sidequests with skillpoints but you dont need to do all of them, you max out so the rest are redundant

Clarste posted:

You can gain up to 15 extra skillpoints from quests, and there are far more than 15 quests that give skillpoints.

Wonderful. And are my ARPG instincts indeed correct that Telenova is both Good and Fun, supported with the appropriate endgame gear to match?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Mikojan posted:

Problem I had with Shurikens last time I played them was that they were annoying to aim. Maybe it's better on controller?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Anybody doing a dive bomb Valkyrie build? Dive bomb seems insane if you set it up right, and Valkyrie has synergy with the node that reduces traversal skill cooldown when you hit a boss, since Valkyrie makes dive bomb a cooldown. My thoughts are:

Synch strikes for on demand shadows plus maybe only way to get 5 shadows for falconer? Smoke bomb doesn’t produce shadows fast enough, plus I can’t spam umbral blades with only smoke bomb because they’ll eat the shadows.

Umbral blades as a mana generator, cool down reduction machine for dive bomb and falcon strike and damage boost for dive bomb.

Smoke bomb — double damage for dive bomb while active, plus lots of other goodies.

Falconry — obviously. Main idea would be to go for the nodes that transfer player damage to the falcon, extra hits on falcon strike and cool down reduction on attack. I’d love to go for cooldown reset on consuming falconer’s mark, but synch strikes is already too mana hungry.

Dive bomb — specced for shadow falcons, cooldown reduction on ranged hit, cooldown reduction on hitting a boss or rare and Valkyrie. I think the basic cooldown reduction node is broken? At least it shows no effect in the tool tip.

Any advice? In particular, I can’t get enough skill point for everything I want in dive bomb and am not sure what to let go.

I haven't done that build in particular, but as someone with a different Dive Bomb build I've found that the interaction with Falcon Strike is a little annoying. Specifically, the Falcon Strike animation takes a long time, and if you interrupt it with Dive Bomb (which you will, because the cooldown is so short) then you lose a lot of damage from Falcon Strike. To solve this I picked up the line attack version of Falcon Strike which only does one hit. I think the line attack is weaker overall—hard to tell, since they don't want to show you any numbers for falcon attacks—but it's quick so they don't step on each other's toes as much.

Edit: And yes, I've also noticed that the basic cooldown reduction node doesn't do anything.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 25, 2024

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah I've been pretty lucky so far but got stuck in an infinite loading screen and am now Out.

Guess I've got time to do actual useful things with the rest of my weekend!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

That’s pretty wild. I certainly didn’t expect that, but I guess PoE has a reputation that kept it from growing.

poe has a ton of people who play on the stand alone client so it's not a 1:1 thing, but it's still impressive as hell. I can't overstate enough how good of a move it was to make 1) an actually good arpg and 2) make it very user-friendly

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah poe the last time they showed combined numbers in crucible league was about 65% steam 35% standalone, so if LE goes above like ~330k it'll beat out poe completely

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Incidentally, I've been having fun with my Falconer build where I build up like 150 stacks of bleed in 2 seconds and then explode them all with Dive Bomb.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Clarste posted:

Incidentally, I've been having fun with my Falconer build where I build up like 150 stacks of bleed in 2 seconds and then explode them all with Dive Bomb.

is there an extra multiplier somehwere on the consume? Or is it the same amount of damage compared to just letting the bleeds run its course?

my main build is a bleed net falconer and I would enjoy something explosive

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It adds 1% more damage per bleed to Dive Bomb itself, up to 30%. But other than that, I don't think it buffs the bleed damage, just makes it burstier.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is it just me or is birb just stupid OP?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Clarste posted:

I haven't done that build in particular, but as someone with a different Dive Bomb build I've found that the interaction with Falcon Strike is a little annoying. Specifically, the Falcon Strike animation takes a long time, and if you interrupt it with Dive Bomb (which you will, because the cooldown is so short) then you lose a lot of damage from Falcon Strike. To solve this I picked up the line attack version of Falcon Strike which only does one hit. I think the line attack is weaker overall—hard to tell, since they don't want to show you any numbers for falcon attacks—but it's quick so they don't step on each other's toes as much.

Edit: And yes, I've also noticed that the basic cooldown reduction node doesn't do anything.

There’s actually a shadow falcon node that replaces the dive bomb falcon with a shadow falcon so dive bomb doesn’t interrupt falcon strike.

I like the idea of the linear falcon strike, but there are too many benefits to rapid hits from the falcon.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Is it just me or is birb just stupid OP?

The birb is indeed stupidly strong.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

The servers seem to be turbo-hosed again, so don't leave Monoliths if you're safely in there. I made the mistake of going to the Observatory for faction stuff, 30 minutes later I'm still trying to get back in.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Anyone found whats the best skill to trigger Side by side cdr for falcon? None of the maxroll falconer builds seem to use direct damage so it feels wasted

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Feels like these initial monolith timelines take a little too long to get through - I’m at the point where they’re basically trivial and I’m not getting any real drops anymore.

Do the empowered ones get better or is this basically it?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

VanillaGorilla posted:

Feels like these initial monolith timelines take a little too long to get through - I’m at the point where they’re basically trivial and I’m not getting any real drops anymore.

Do the empowered ones get better or is this basically it?

Empowered monoliths are level 100 so the drops in them are much better. The nodes/islands themselves also are more likely to have better rewards compared to the normal monoliths.

If you're overleveled or not being challenged, try to beeline to the final 3 monoliths and complete those since that is what unlocks the empowered option for all monoliths.

I also made the mistake of trying to go pick up some fresh prophecies since I was almost out, I'm just shy of level 90 on my warlock, and now I can't get back on. Probably taking a break until there's a discord update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Erulisse posted:

Anyone found whats the best skill to trigger Side by side cdr for falcon? None of the maxroll falconer builds seem to use direct damage so it feels wasted

Whatever attacks the fastest?