Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I have broken the ??? barrier? I don't know what number that is!

EDIT

The run finally died on Ante 14, the seed is H1VSVW7D with the Erratic Deck. If you want to toy with optimizing it yourself. I certainly didn't do things the smartest things in the run.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Infinitum posted:

I'm a dumbfuck

I had an insane setup with 7 jokers and then I blew it all proccing Sixth Sense + DNA for cards and not realising it was on The Needle and I could then only play high cards after that

ARGH

:livintrope:

It's okay, Sixth Sense is always worth it. Even if you lose.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I love spectral decks. I will never not slam pick them. Ghost deck? Hell yeah, let me use these cards in the middle of a blind.

Found a spooky one in a planet booster too -- Black Hole

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Black Hole owns and is the reason i always buy jumbo planet packs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Onmi posted:

e[??] is "to the power of [??]"

Your best hand was 383,600,000,000,000

383.6 trillion

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I give up. I have had zero success with the black deck. I can win with literally every other deck but black. Someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong :(

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pollyanna posted:

I give up. I have had zero success with the black deck. I can win with literally every other deck but black. Someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong :(

That's going to require a lot more looking at your playstyle. What you're doing.

One thing to consider is because you have one less hand, you need to have a decent scoring joker very early on

I was able to ride Gros Michel until Ante 2, where I have Ride the Bus which is a wonderful scaling joker. However, because you're 1 hand less than normal, you'll be 1 hand slower on scaling. Now, the fact that immediately after this round Gros went extinct, revealing Cavendish with foil? That's just proof I'm God's Strongest Gambler. The important thing is that you want a joker to carry Ante 1-3, and otherwise, good econ. From there, it's the same as any deck.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 25, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Onmi posted:

EDIT

The run finally died on Ante 14, the seed is H1VSVW7D with the Erratic Deck. If you want to toy with optimizing it yourself. I certainly didn't do things the smartest things in the run.

Very nice, added to the High Roller hall of fame. Might need to clean that up at some point, but for now I'm happy to have people's sci-not numbers and Gold Stakes wins there.

And there's Black Stakes beaten on the Checkered Deck and the Anaglyph Deck unlocked. Sometimes you just gotta go with what works for stake climbing.

EDIT:

And for the alley-oop, there goes Blue.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 25, 2024

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

lmao

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

man some of these unlocks are real specific

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Worse, the joker it unlocks, Seeing Double, used to ONLY work when playing 7 of clubs, they, thankfully, buffed it for the full release.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Onmi posted:

I was able to ride Gros Michel until Ante 2

:dudsmile:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I'm having some dumbass runs

Onmi fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 25, 2024

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

I spent a while grinding that and the "discard 5 jacks at once" unlock, mostly just rerolled the erratic deck until there was a promising enough start and then just built towards that. Got them both but yeah it's a little silly.

On the other hand, I've still got the $400 and "win while never using more than 4 jokers" unlocks left and I have no idea where to begin there. I also have one planet card to discover which I assume is 5 of a kind and suit, a couple legendary jokers and the "earn over $100m in one hand" one which I'm sure I'll get eventually.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

My feeling is that it's better to gamble and hope for the big start than it is to try to scrape together any little advantage. You can still just beat the ante 1 boss blind with your starting deck and a bit of luck, and I'd rather aim for that and take some juicy skip rewards or wait for a good joker/mega booster than spend every last dollar on marginal crap from the first two shops hoping it saves you. You'll still lose a fair bit but at least they're over quickly that way, rather than limping weakly through ante 1 with no interest banked and petering out slowly.

woke kaczynski posted:

On the other hand, I've still got the $400 and "win while never using more than 4 jokers" unlocks left and I have no idea where to begin there.

Do painted deck for the 4 joker unlock, it's surprisingly not bad. Just don't reflexively pick up a 5th negative joker if you want the unlock.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I somehow managed it with a Polychrome Riff Raff deck that was selling its extra jokers every round until I set up a straight deck. You just gotta keep running until the stars align

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

woke kaczynski posted:

On the other hand, I've still got the $400 and "win while never using more than 4 jokers" unlocks left and I have no idea where to begin there.

Having gotten extremely close before proceeding to shoot myself in the foot, an early Rocket is a good money-making joker to build around, as it improves with the Ante. Apart from that you just have to play really conservatively apart from what you absolutely need to keep advancing and try and grab all the Vouchers for Interest and saving money in the shop, as well as grabbing big money Tags/Arcana/etc.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The more I play plasma deck going up in ante the more I'm convinced it's actually the worst high ante deck in the game. It has exactly two builds that work after ante 2, and those are "tons of flat chip jokers" and "tons of multi multi jokers". Winning the first two blinds for free does not make up for the fact that the vast majority of jokers are completely unusable. Normal decks can make use of flat multi in the midgame to get a proper engine going, or just have enough planet levels + enough flat multi to brute force through ante 8, plasma deck just dies in ante 3 most of the time I find.
This doesn't really apply to low/no stakes runs because you don't need to scale quite as fast.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Black Deck is at a huge disadvantage out the gate, -1 hand size is a score and money problem.

You need to get a scoring joker ASAP, if you don't have one by the shop after the ante 1 boss you're basically done. Depending on the tags offered remember you can beat small blind with one high flush, big blind with any two flushes, and boss blind with 2 high flushes with no scoring help. You need to try and do this to get max money to buy stuff to help you survive.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

God drat

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Einwand posted:

The more I play plasma deck going up in ante the more I'm convinced it's actually the worst high ante deck in the game. It has exactly two builds that work after ante 2, and those are "tons of flat chip jokers" and "tons of multi multi jokers". Winning the first two blinds for free does not make up for the fact that the vast majority of jokers are completely unusable. Normal decks can make use of flat multi in the midgame to get a proper engine going, or just have enough planet levels + enough flat multi to brute force through ante 8, plasma deck just dies in ante 3 most of the time I find.
This doesn't really apply to low/no stakes runs because you don't need to scale quite as fast.

Yeah, having just won my first Plasma run, it seems like another one of those feast or famine decks. I'm not quite sure how you make the jump from "mostly chips" to "all multi-mult" on a consistent basis. Maybe I ought to go study that guy who got all the way up to Ante 25 on Plasma.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

his presence was foretold by the prophet, only now may we truly appreciate the gift of five aces

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

Do painted deck for the 4 joker unlock, it's surprisingly not bad. Just don't reflexively pick up a 5th negative joker if you want the unlock.

:doh: I unlocked it and thought it was such a bad deck I immediately forgot it existed, one more joker unlock done (and I'm already seeing the potential for Big Number hell yeah)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kalsco posted:

his presence was foretold by the prophet, only now may we truly appreciate the gift of five aces

Belatro: Only now may we truly appreciate the gift of five aces

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Do you have to get the secret planet cards on a run where you use one of the corresponding hands, or does using a 'secret' hand permanently unlock them? Or are they just comically rare?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You have to play the hand once per game before they appear

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i wish the blueprint wasn't like a total auto-win but on the other hand it is incredibly fun

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

woke kaczynski posted:

On the other hand, I've still got the $400 and "win while never using more than 4 jokers" unlocks left

i got this by getting two copies of the stencil, and you can kind of go from there lol.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It says it's compatible with Brainstorm, and Vice Versa, but neither actually copy the thing being copied, nor do they make a chain.

Edit
I discarded a Royal Flush to unlock you, you bastard.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hackan Slash posted:

Black Deck is at a huge disadvantage out the gate, -1 hand size is a score and money problem.

You need to get a scoring joker ASAP, if you don't have one by the shop after the ante 1 boss you're basically done. Depending on the tags offered remember you can beat small blind with one high flush, big blind with any two flushes, and boss blind with 2 high flushes with no scoring help. You need to try and do this to get max money to buy stuff to help you survive.

Agreed. I initially tried skipping the early blinds if they had something good that I'd take on the other decks, but it ended up just not being worth it unless it was something like a Buffoon or maybe a Spectral pack. You don't have the cash for rerolls, so you really need to hit the store as much as you can to fish for an increase to your scoring.

It's basically the opposite of the other early decks, where you can put the +chip/+mult stuff aside for a bit in favor of +econ.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tfw you gently caress up your flush run on the last ante because you mistook a heart for a diamond 🤡
Skill issue…

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

just had the most butt-clenching cerulean bell round to get a blue stake clear

literally thought to myself "I have lost" before I clicked the button

I had not

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Picked up this game yesterday and been playing an unreasonable amount. Had a thrilling first victory for the one deck that has no face cards, I had nuked a quarter of the deck and went all in on straights, and was easily clearing the last two antes with just one hand. Then I happened to go up against the violet final boss for the first time ever.

I got to the point where I had basically no cards left in the deck and had to draw my only remaining 7 to even have a chance of winning. I drew it and won by less than 2,000 points :shepface:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

A perfect summary of my last four attempts with the black deck

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Odd Todd, hide the box, crazy joker, acrobat, and ice cream. The first three are doing all the heavy lifting and I'm hoping to find a better multiplier replacement before I get too deep but this one is feeling good.

Crazy and cream are both foil.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 26, 2024

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

unattended spaghetti posted:

Odd Todd, hide the box, crazy joker, acrobat, and ice cream. The first three are doing all the heavy lifting and I'm hoping to find a better multiplier replacement before I get too deep but this one is feeling good.

wait, there's a joker called Odd Todd? that's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

game needs a joker called Jimbo Fiveaces that's just this with a jester cap stenciled in