Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Unknown traits could really be awesome if your own traits mean you might get other character's traits wrong. An arrogant character habitually underestimates other leader's skills, or a military doofus thinks everyone is a military genius in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
One of my favorite things about EU4 is assembling a vassal swarm. I make them happy: they go conquer the world for me. CK3 doesn't really have that in any form. For the most part, vassals go in the pile and are forgotten.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats a difference in actual real life history w vassals getting dominated by kings harder, not just the games

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats a difference in actual real life history w vassals getting dominated by kings harder, not just the games

So I've heard. The concept of a march is pretty old though, maybe older than the timeline encompassed in CK3 and is in some way implemented in CK3. Would be interesting if the different vassal types had gameplay effects beyond a rearrangement of numbers. Maybe marches could be called in like allies

EDIT: Speaking of EU4, I'd also like it if historical allies came into effect. Like, the more you ally with another nation, the more it's just a given that you will ally in the future, the more the specific country seeks out and tries to maintain the alliance. Alliances are not terribly relevant in CK3 unless you are specifically sniping an alliance at a crucial point, usually in the early game. Would like it if they were consistently relevant, like they are in EU4.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 22, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
im on my phone but theres a mod for that

geworfenheit
Feb 3, 2024

George Sex - REAL posted:

So I've heard. The concept of a march is pretty old though, maybe older than the timeline encompassed in CK3 and is in some way implemented in CK3. Would be interesting if the different vassal types had gameplay effects beyond a rearrangement of numbers. Maybe marches could be called in like allies

EDIT: Speaking of EU4, I'd also like it if historical allies came into effect. Like, the more you ally with another nation, the more it's just a given that you will ally in the future, the more the specific country seeks out and tries to maintain the alliance. Alliances are not terribly relevant in CK3 unless you are specifically sniping an alliance at a crucial point, usually in the early game. Would like it if they were consistently relevant, like they are in EU4.

long term friendships would be very useful in all paradox games, where the game keeps scores of all historical relations and diplomacy, so that countries have favourites.

pretty much like reality.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
im home again, the marcher vassal thing is an option in More Interactive Vassals

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2712590542

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

geworfenheit posted:

long term friendships would be very useful in all paradox games, where the game keeps scores of all historical relations and diplomacy, so that countries have favourites.

pretty much like reality.

I've always wanted this. You raised my dad who was a mud-blooded herring gelder to nobility and gave him two duchies which I have now inherited, but gently caress you put me on the council or I revolt. A little gratitude would go a long way.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Freudian slippers posted:

I've always wanted this. You raised my dad who was a mud-blooded herring gelder to nobility and gave him two duchies which I have now inherited, but gently caress you put me on the council or I revolt. A little gratitude would go a long way.

Have you encountered the historical nobility at all?

If anything it's more surprising that an alliance lasts longer than a decade.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

scaterry posted:

Just finished a WC in one year
Writeup here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKi...web2x&context=3

Honestly I'm just happy to finish this before the dlc drops.

There's system mastery and then there's this. This is half a press territory breaking the game.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Josef bugman posted:

I think the fantasy people want is something a bit Game of Thrones inspired where like, the Umbars or White Harbor people have this basically eternal loyalty to the Starks that becomes mythologized in the family Lore because this great kindness gets passed down as part of the House's family tradition. Some going back to my previous thing it'd be neat if there was also Family traits like "Loyal Bannermen" where a House is just vastly more likely to produce loyalists.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
If you're open to modding, Inheritable Relations and Houses Traditions are great for this.

I kinda think House Traditions makes houses run too much to type but YMM, of course, V.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
game of thrones is the war of the roses with dragons stuck in. a lot of the underlying factors of the war of the roses were the monstrosities created by the transition from the medieval to the early modern period

so, we need eu5 with more character stuff

geworfenheit
Feb 3, 2024

Josef bugman posted:

it can't just be the opinions of nobles, but like was mentioned above my post, based on legends of past alliance, popular opinions based on culture and religion, and so on.

some of this already exists.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

game of thrones is the war of the roses with dragons stuck in. a lot of the underlying factors of the war of the roses were the monstrosities created by the transition from the medieval to the early modern period

so, we need eu5 with more character stuff

Unironically yes it'd be neat if EU5 kinda transitioned from CK style mechanics to V3 style mechanics as you click through reforms and unlock techs and idea groups. Some V3 mechanics would work better for representing the way nations as large and powerful as China couldn't just conquer the world, and CK mechanics would maybe do a better job at showing that France in the 1400s isn't exactly unified and able to start punching into Germany or Spain.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

geworfenheit posted:

it can't just be the opinions of nobles, but like was mentioned above my post, based on legends of past alliance, popular opinions based on culture and religion, and so on.

some of this already exists.

Even then most medieval alliances weren't long term and were far more temporary than we might imagine.

geworfenheit
Feb 3, 2024

Josef bugman posted:

Even then most medieval alliances weren't long term and were far more temporary than we might imagine.

that's how it already is in ck3, but it would be cool if this kind of thing was kept track of for conversions.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

part of it is that even if you had a loyal vassal there's generally no reason to reward them. your only real mechanism is to give someone land from your demense when its too big, and usually you have kids or other dynasty members to give it to

geworfenheit
Feb 3, 2024

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

part of it is that even if you had a loyal vassal there's generally no reason to reward them. your only real mechanism is to give someone land from your demense when its too big, and usually you have kids or other dynasty members to give it to

rewarding them with cash helps build up infrastructure in their holdings, or at least it would if ai was good at investing infrastructure.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

The AI is better at building their infrastructure than actual medieval nobility was, hilariously enough.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
infrastructure generally should be viciously nerfed

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

How much it costs now? Or how prioritised it is by the AI?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

How much it costs now? Or how prioritised it is by the AI?

cost should rise, benefits should lower

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is there a way to change the name of your new Head Of Faith's titles, or to move their capital? Even through the console? I just reformed Ukonusko, and having my new spiritual leader being named "High Shaman" and leading the "Ukonusko High Council" is bumming me out with how generic it is.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I think the only way is to edit their localisation in the game files.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Disease outbreaks are supposed to lower development at least, especially the Black Death. We'll see how that pans out.

geworfenheit
Feb 3, 2024

nooo, there's no other way to succeed in a middle francian run.

seriously, i think infrastructure should be expanded, and there should be a way to invest in holdings controlled by holy orders.

it sucks balls looking at my realm and seeing holdings held by random crusader orders being literally 300 years behind in infrastructure compared to the rest.

besides, some places having poo poo infrastructure and some places having good infrastructure is realistic and how world works, sucks to be you if you don't consider careful development and would rather build wide and shallow, enjoy your low development.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

If you create a custom kingdom, there isn't a distance limit for the three duchies you have to hold in order to take the decision, and whatever empire you have the most counties in is the empire it de jure becomes part of.

I took the three duchies in the southern edge of Arabia to force it to de jure be part of Arabia, then joined the Abbasid empire afterwards.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

PookBear posted:

If you create a custom kingdom, there isn't a distance limit for the three duchies you have to hold in order to take the decision, and whatever empire you have the most counties in is the empire it de jure becomes part of.

I took the three duchies in the southern edge of Arabia to force it to de jure be part of Arabia, then joined the Abbasid empire afterwards.

Lol nice! I think the best use of that trick is to join Russia— then you can use the ‘found the capital of Rus’ decision to get the delicious development anywhere you’d like

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

afterwards I invaded Sri Lanka and gave the old kingdom to my second son. The Abbasids are constantly in like 10 wars

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the fantasy people want is something a bit Game of Thrones inspired where like, the Umbars or White Harbor people have this basically eternal loyalty to the Starks that becomes mythologized in the family Lore because this great kindness gets passed down as part of the House's family tradition. Some going back to my previous thing it'd be neat if there was also Family traits like "Loyal Bannermen" where a House is just vastly more likely to produce loyalists.

Yeah, a little something like this. I remember I had a run in CK2 where I was really up against it, but managed to snag a kick rear end commoner general who saved my bacon numerous times. I put him on my council, went out of my way to find a lovely lady to marry him to, heaped land and titles upon him and when my character died, he took one look at my heir, decided that the thirty year long friendship with his dad did not outweigh his disgust over the "short reign penalty" and promptly rebelled. So I put him down, and had him executed. Would have been cool to have them carry on the bonds of friendship, though.

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you're open to modding, Inheritable Relations and Houses Traditions are great for this.

I kinda think House Traditions makes houses run too much to type but YMM, of course, V.

Yeah, something like this might do the trick. Thanks!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
There is an opinion of predecessor modifier though. I don’t know how much it might cancel out a short reign penalty.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Freudian slippers posted:

Yeah, a little something like this. I remember I had a run in CK2 where I was really up against it, but managed to snag a kick rear end commoner general who saved my bacon numerous times. I put him on my council, went out of my way to find a lovely lady to marry him to, heaped land and titles upon him and when my character died, he took one look at my heir, decided that the thirty year long friendship with his dad did not outweigh his disgust over the "short reign penalty" and promptly rebelled. So I put him down, and had him executed. Would have been cool to have them carry on the bonds of friendship, though.

Yeah, something like this might do the trick. Thanks!

On the other hand, it does make a kick rear end story about a super ambitious commoner who schemes his way into power and betrays the crown as soon as the weaker son takes the seat

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well that's what the "ambitious" trait is there for.

Some 'opinion of predecessor' modifier when a title changes on death, or an accumulating offset bonus for everyone knowing who the next ruler is, would go a long way to creating a dynamic between rulers and vassals.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Doublepost: Is there a way for characters to get the Shrewd trait organically?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

It might not be treachery. Might simply be someone who loved your dad so much that they're disgusted you don't shape up. You're the traitor to his memory!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Then that should be reflected in those specific circumstances rather than the default being "every time a ruler passes on, half the realm revolts because they can't conceptualize that the old boss eventually dies"

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

SirPhoebos posted:

Doublepost: Is there a way for characters to get the Shrewd trait organically?

There are a very few ways in vanilla (aside from a character being generated randomly with it by an event):

1) a rare result from the Seek Aid of the Spirits decision if your faith has Adorcism
2) a couple of Wards and Wardens event chains that can happen when they're a kid have options that can grant it (Child of Destiny or Imaginary Friend)
3) A spouse with a 3-star or higher Learning education can grant it to one of your kids through one of the Spouse Councillor events (ie, they have to not be landed themselves or otherwise unavailable for that role)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 27, 2024

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Then that should be reflected in those specific circumstances rather than the default being "every time a ruler passes on, half the realm revolts because they can't conceptualize that the old boss eventually dies"

That's pretty realistic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
'monarch actually passing the realm to heir' actually only happens like half the time. other half is a good ol' succession war or lots of scheming or lots of other crap